Author Topic: Guzzi Multi-Media Platform  (Read 7762 times)

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
Re: Guzzi Multi-Media Platform
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 09:39:11 AM »
All excellent points...no disputes on that...and it’s a friendly banter, definitely not an argument!

My point is that the human mind and body is capable of monitoring or receiving many inputs and adjusting or using them safely (independent of whether they are required).  True that some devices do cause more distraction than others and when to use the device is critical taking into account driving conditions...

Et maintenant ce juste le temps a boire un petit verre du vin!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2019, 09:41:25 AM »
All excellent points...no disputes on that...and it’s a friendly banter, definitely not an argument!

My point is that the human mind and body is capable of monitoring or receiving many inputs and adjusting or using them safely (independent of whether they are required).  True that some devices do cause more distraction than others and when to use the device is critical taking into account driving conditions...

No doubt GPS is capable of directing a small group of motorbike riders to some remote places where the locals sitting on their porches wave and wonder why those three apparently well traveled riders are wandering about looking very lost  :laugh:

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2019, 09:59:11 AM »

Here's a thought.

It's probably a lot safer to constantly display a bunch of this data so all that it requires to check it is a glance of the eyes than it is to require the rider to toggle through a menu.

All of our current bikes, literally ALL of them, have some form of toggle selected display in the odometer, and some with a button on the left grip to toggle through the options. I find all of them potentially distracting if I have say trip-meter displayed but am curious about the time, fuel to empty, ambient temperature, etc.

To that end I do wonder if this media platform is potentially SAFER if used properly.

Just like many things it may come down to the end user and how they chose to use it. While it has the potential to be distracting and less safe, I suspect it also has the ability to be safer too.

Just a thought.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

kirby1923

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2019, 10:27:05 AM »
Et maintenant ce juste le temps a boire un petit verre du vin!

Oui! (or Cognac)
But remember the human brain was designed to function/survive at a much lower pace..as in as fast as you can run.
Lots of training and discipline required to function faster than that and just maybe your ability to cope with situations is directly proportional to your velocity.

And from an old Eastwood movie..(Fist full of dollars?)

" Sometimes a mans life can depend on a mere scrap of information"

I think that is why allot of auto manufacturers have developed auto braking for obstacles and other things, 'cause the driver can be Overloaded w/information and miss something important to safety.

I personally like to get as far away as I can from the information overload in my life when ever I can, so I can take a deep breath.....

:-)++

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 10:40:50 AM by kirby1923 »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2019, 10:27:05 AM »

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2019, 11:51:08 AM »
As usual....you guys make convincing cases for your points of view...ultimately what works in each individual case can be different...c'est la vie, c'est l'amour, c'est la guerre.

Defense rests its case!

Now back to Eastwood movies...another very entertaining topic indeed! 

A bientot mon ami!

Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

twowings

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2019, 02:39:52 PM »

My point is that the human mind and body is capable of monitoring or receiving many inputs and adjusting or using them safely (independent of whether they are required). 

Still, probably best not to give Dusty a stick of gum when he's riding...    :bike-037: :laugh:

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2019, 05:09:12 PM »
Still, probably best not to give Dusty a stick of gum when he's riding...    :bike-037: :laugh:

Probably not .

Dusty

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2019, 03:20:18 PM »
How I used my GPS this past Tuesday was to put in my destination and then turn where I want to and let it recalculate.

Then I got to explore and still end up where I wanted to without having to stop and reconnoiter a map. 

When not navigating I use the GPS to see the street names ahead so I don't have to wait until I can read the street sign to determine if I want to turn there or not.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

twowings

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2019, 03:44:16 PM »
Several of the smartphone mapping apps have audio turn-by-turn instructions....I set up my route and connect my Sena SMH-10 to smartphone bluetooth...no need to take my eyes off the road....the app Waze even reduces battery drain by the GPS when the distance between waypoints is over something like 10 miles....

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2019, 04:28:23 PM »

I have to disagree with this. Neuropsychology experiments and studies have shown conclusively that, while you can divide your consciousness between several different tasks (i.e. multitasking,) when doing so, you cannot bring any of those things to what is known as "full consciousness." Simply put, when you focus on more than one thing at a time, you will inherently be worse at both of those things than you would be doing them one at a time. Hence the reason that driving while talking/texting/farting around on one's phone is inherently dangerous, no matter how good someone thinks they are at it.

That being said, I do use GPS when riding, but I just leave the phone in my pocket, connect my speakers to it via Bluetooth, and rely on the audio instructions, rather than having it on my bars and looking at it.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2019, 07:02:56 PM »
So...let’s entertain that a bit.

By extension, you should come to a full stop and turn off the caR every time you want to change radio stations then, as it can’t be done safely?

If I can ride a unicycle and juggle 4 balls at the same time without crashing or killing myself, it’s evidence that the mind and body can do one more than one task at a time...

I full agree that texting while driving is dangerous, and even more so if you’re farting!  😁😁

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:03:49 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2019, 07:42:48 PM »

By extension, you should come to a full stop and turn off the caR every time you want to change radio stations then, as it can’t be done safely?

If I can ride a unicycle and juggle 4 balls at the same time without crashing or killing myself, it’s evidence that the mind and body can do one more than one task at a time...

I full agree that texting while driving is dangerous, and even more so if you’re farting!  😁😁

Hahaha, those are some extreme examples. I should clarify, though, that I'm not saying you can't do more than one thing at once, safely. What I am saying, is that when you do more than one thing at a time (e.g. driving and looking at your multimedia platform,) you will never be as aware, and therefore as safe, as you would if you were only doing the one thing (driving,) by itself.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2019, 09:34:38 PM »
 :thumb:
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2019, 08:52:19 AM »

My MIL was rear ended by a guy changing a cd and while he was distracted she braked to take a turn. 

Point being that if you know you are going to be looking at the GPS, speedo, hitting the station change button, you should leave extra seconds of space between you and the car in front of you.  You should avoid doing those other activities as you are passing through an intersection. 

I love cruise control because now I don't have to look down to make sure I am going the proper speed.  I can keep my eyes on the road more.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2019, 10:27:38 AM »
Yes agree...that's what I said above:

Reposting here again in bold:

Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here