Author Topic: How to adjust steering bearings on 1200 Sport?  (Read 589 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
How to adjust steering bearings on 1200 Sport?
« on: May 01, 2019, 08:43:46 PM »
On my '08 1200 Sport, it feels like the steering bearings could be tightened slightly. Anyone know the procedure to adjust the tightness of the steering bearings?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

pete roper

Re: How to adjust steering bearings on 1200 Sport?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 11:53:25 PM »
You may well find that by now they need replacing. The bike is 11 years old.

Support the bike under the sump, upright, if you have a centrestand? So much the better.

Remove the top yoke and you'll find a pair of peg nuts secured together by a peg washer.

Push down the tabs locking the top nut and take it off.

Then unwind the second nut and lift up the dust cover.

You'll see the top race of balls. If they are dry chances are they'll need replacing and the bottom race will of brinnelled up their races.

If you're lucky though you can then just drop the dust cap back on and tighten the bottom nut until you eliminate all play in the bearings. Get the front wheel off the ground an the forks should go lock to lock without notchiness.

When you're happy hold the bottom nut and use the upper one to lock it before bending up th tabs on the lock washer to secure it. It's a good idea to have a new lock washer on hand.

Reassemble the top yoke, bars etc. don't forget to do up the pinch bolts.

Pete

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here