Author Topic: California Vintage Chrome Solenoid Cover Solved  (Read 1885 times)

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
California Vintage Chrome Solenoid Cover Solved
« on: May 26, 2019, 12:37:10 PM »
     I had a separate thread going into mechanics and the ripple effect, I was going to add this on there, but just in case someone has an answer, I didn't want my question to get lost in the shuffle.

When Mike Tiberio removed all of the covers and chrome crap on his CalVin, I'm sure a few people here thought he was crazy, I'm thinking he might be the wisest guy on here.

When I first got this bike, one of the first things I did, was clean up some of the electrical contacts, including the starter solenoid. I remember fighting quite the battle then, trying to get the chrome plastic cover off and back on, it's the most ridiculous over engineered piece of crap I've ever seen.

I had to loosen it and disassemble the cover removing the spring clamp underneath and the plastic support piece to give me enough room to move the chrome cover out of the way so I could adjust the TPS last night, big mistake.

I've just spent the most frustrating 2 hours of my life trying to reassemble it and get it back into position. Thankfully the cover is made of plastic so it doesn't conduct electricity, but the designers thoughtfully put on chrome paint that must be high quality with significant metallurgy content, because as it bounces off the solenoid contacts, I'm getting a fireworks display worthy of 4th of July.

After dancing with it for quite a while, the bolts have now disappeared into the nether regions of the bike; I'll be taking a break and going for a ride on the Griso to regroup, hoping that someone might have some tips for me when I get back.

I hope I don't have to, but it looks like I might have to crab the frame and pull the engine and tranny to get it back on there,lol. 

tia

Kelly

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 11:38:32 PM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline ejs

• Gosling
Re: California Vintage Chrome Solenoid Cover
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 01:48:29 PM »
Om my California EV, I just loosen the starter a bit and then took the cover off. :boozing:

California EV 1999

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 01:49:28 PM »
In the words of a former US president: I feel your pain.  The cover above mentioned also came in metal but no less than a PITA.
I had one that came with a used Valeo starter ( prefer used original  ones to the China made cheapies) and tried to install it on another Tonti bike. Bad idea. After an hour and some  various colorful Italian terms to describe defecation, in the junk bucket it went...
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
Re: California Vintage Chrome Solenoid Cover SOLVED
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 11:37:44 PM »
     Fresh eyes were just what the doctor ordered.

For the benefit of anybody that is trying to get this cover back on, I managed to do it, and I'll try to explain it so it makes sense.

I removed the 2 bolts holding the trim panel with the seat key lock just to the right of the solenoid cover, and tied the panel up out of the way, be careful the seat cable doesn't dislodge from the lock, damhik.

I balanced the solenoid cover mounting spring clamp on my right index finger, simultaneously holding the 2 loose mounting studs up in position in their holes in the spring clamp

I was never able to actually pull the solenoid cover out, it was still jammed in place, I moved it up and to the left as much as possible and at the same time slid the clamp and studs on my right index finger in under the cover and moved it to the left.

The trick was to use a long screw driver as a tool to force the clamp down onto the solenoid, it helped to tilt the clamp forward 10-15 degrees to keep the mounting studs in place, and carefully slid my finger out, if you do this carefully, the spring clamp will sit down cleanly and the solenoid will hold the studs in place.

Long thin nose pliers to wiggle the plastic mounting plate in under the cover and over the top of the studs and clamp, and then down into position.

Wiggle the cover into place over the studs, mounting plate and clamp,, then push the whole works down tight and vertical (it really helped to tilt the clamp and mounting studs forward, to get the whole works together without the studs falling out).

Not a particularly pleasant piece of kit to work on,,, I don't think Lino Tonti would be impressed ;~)

Ride safe and often

Kelly

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Wildguzzi.com

Re: California Vintage Chrome Solenoid Cover SOLVED
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 11:37:44 PM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 05:30:55 AM »
Om my California EV, I just loosen the starter a bit and then took the cover off. :boozing:

Yep.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 08:31:57 AM »
Quote from: ejs on May 26, 2019, 01:48:29 PM

Yep.

Hey Chuck,     Tks for confirming that this is the best way to tackle it.

If I have to remove the cover again, I'll know to just loosen the starter and save myself the aggravation.

I know it must be a common problem, because loosening and moving the cover was the only way I could get a tool onto the TPS.

Tks

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline stratoguzzi

• New Egg
Re: California Vintage Chrome Solenoid Cover Solved
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 11:58:24 AM »
I made a tool to access my tps on the Vintage.I took a torx bit that is the right size for the tps and made it shorter by cutting it with a cut off disc on a dremmel.Then used a 1/4 wrench to turn it as I forced it up with my finger on my other hand.I came to do this after I too had trouble trying to get access with the solenoid cover.But I gave up,and used this method instead.One tps torx has plenty of room-this is the one to determine the size[25] I think.The torx bit Is about an inch tall.Cut it to half it's height and like I said previously ,hold with one finger while turning 1/4 wrench with the other hand.Only loosen enough so it will hold an adjustment.Doesn't take much to move the voltage.I attached a picture of my tps with a red paint line showing the 'before'position.Doesn't take much!   
2007 CalVin
1984 SPNT

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 01:35:39 PM »
I made a tool to access my tps on the Vintage.I took a torx bit that is the right size for the tps and made it shorter by cutting it with a cut off disc on a dremmel.Then used a 1/4 wrench to turn it as I forced it up with my finger on my other hand.I came to do this after I too had trouble trying to get access with the solenoid cover.But I gave up,and used this method instead.One tps torx has plenty of room-this is the one to determine the size[25] I think.The torx bit Is about an inch tall.Cut it to half it's height and like I said previously ,hold with one finger while turning 1/4 wrench with the other hand.Only loosen enough so it will hold an adjustment.Doesn't take much to move the voltage.I attached a picture of my tps with a red paint line showing the 'before'position.Doesn't take much!

Mine was a Torx 20, I'm sure I have a bunch of small bits somewhere, probably with my 10 mm sockets,,lol,,, but the only I could find was one of my socket bits,,, I'll be better prepared next time.
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline stratoguzzi

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 04:33:19 PM »

picture of tps
2007 CalVin
1984 SPNT

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 08:45:57 AM »
Quote from: ejs on May 26, 2019, 01:48:29 PM

Hey Chuck,     Tks for confirming that this is the best way to tackle it.

If I have to remove the cover again, I'll know to just loosen the starter and save myself the aggravation.

I know it must be a common problem, because loosening and moving the cover was the only way I could get a tool onto the TPS.

Tks

Kelly

Yep, just a spring clip on the back of the foo foo cover. Remove the two starter bolts, rotate a little, and pop the cover off. It really only takes moments.

John Henry

Online geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 09:03:07 AM »
Hi Kelly

So, did the adjustment make a difference?

I have loaded a Beetle map on my CalVin and need to adjust the TPS.  I am told that this will eliminate the low (campground) speed snatchiness …..

Maybe you & I can set up a Saturday/Sunday or ? to make this happen on my bike?  There just isn't any local shop that I would trust with my bike.

What do you think?

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 09:42:59 AM »
Hi Kelly

So, did the adjustment make a difference?

I have loaded a Beetle map on my CalVin and need to adjust the TPS.  I am told that this will eliminate the low (campground) speed snatchiness …..

Maybe you & I can set up a Saturday/Sunday or ? to make this happen on my bike?  There just isn't any local shop that I would trust with my bike.

What do you think?

Hey Geoff, I'm sure we can make this happen, sent you a pm

ttys take care

Kelly

G
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here