Author Topic: When did you first see a Moto Guzzi and your thoughts...  (Read 5286 times)

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: When did you first see a Moto Guzzi and your thoughts...
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2019, 08:07:35 AM »
Dad bought a 71 Ambassador in 72,  I thought what a pile, the way it clanked and rattled. Looked good though, I bought it from him in 77, rode it out to the west coast and fell in love with it. Bought another just like it in 79 so I always had one running and one in maintenance .  Luxurious ride with that long seat and would climb mountains like an old gravel truck.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2019, 08:27:51 AM »
Mine is more recent!  2011, I was looking for something with more personality to replace my second V-Strom 650.  I was close to buying a Triumph Scrambler or Thruxton 900 and was also eyeing a Thunderbird Sport, when I took a drive over to a little MG dealer on the west side of Houston.  I wanted to see a V7 but Mike Haven looked at my 6'3" height and suggested a Breva 1100 instead.  I bought a 2008 1200 Sport sight unseen, had it shipped from Detroit, and my first Guzzi ride ever was when I left the shipping company and got into rush hour Houston traffic.
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2019, 09:38:37 AM »
Through the 80's, I did a lot of musclcar-related trading & selling as the restoration craze was growing.  In 89, the reproduction industry hit its stride and really destroyed the margins & market for anything less than NOS parts.  Bikes were still dirt cheap and took up no space. some were very cool and even profitable.  I got heavy into them.  I know I read about MG along with all the rest, but the first one that I remember in the flesh was/is my V7 Sport in '92.  It was just another good deal at the time but has been with me ever since, through lots of good and bad.   It's a great bike for me.

Thankfully I never restored it or changed it significantly.  it was recently confirmed as an unrestored veteran of the Clemson Cafe Racers from the late 1970's after being sold new here in Spartanburg.  Very cool.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2019, 10:12:07 AM »
I had gotten tired of chain drive bikes and wanted a BMW or Guzzi, knowing they were shaft drive. It was 1981, living in Los Angeles and visiting a friend living in a rented house. I must have mentioned something about bikes and he said there was an old one in the garage. He took me out there, opened the garage door, and there in the dim light was an old loop. Probably an ex police  bike. For a long time I thought I should track down the owner and see if I could buy it but never did. In the late 80s I saw a rider on a LeMans and knew I wanted one, but wound up swapping a Volvo 122 wagon for a friend's R90/6 in 1990. I'd heard that Guzzis weren't dependable so didn't think much about them for the next ten years until they again captured my imagination. But it wasn't until about four years ago I got serious about finding one and giving them a try. Wish I'd pursued that old loop all those years ago.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2019, 10:12:07 AM »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2019, 11:11:25 AM »
Saw my first Guzzi in 2012, a 2010 V7 Classic

Rode mini and dirt bikes all through childhood & teen years, then not at all for the next 15yrs.

I was taking my dad's Road King out for rides a couple times a year, and decided I really wanted to get a road bike, but I knew I deff didnt want a Road King (or any Harley).  I started looking at UJM type bikes (i dint know anything outside of Harley and Crotch rockets) and discovered I liked a style of bike that could be called a "cafe racer", a "brat", or a "retro standard".

My former boss had just at that time sold 12 Bones BBQ in Asheville, and opened Eurosport Asheville, a BMW/KTM/Vespa dealership.  I went & spoke to him, told him I wanted to buy a bike but I didn't like the 'bug bike style' (i meant ADV bikes)....  Could he keep an eye out for any 'cafe racer/brat/retro standard' bike that came thru for sale used or on consignment? Told him I wanted something esoteric, but not so rare it couldn't be worked on or upgraded, moderate power, able to ride 2-up, etc....

2 weeks later he called and said they had taken a 2010 V7 by Moto Guzzi on trade, it was for sale, and he had ppl who could work on it/ get parts for it if needed because it was 'made by the same company as vespa'

I checked it out and more or less fell in love.  I pulled the specs of the internet and shared with my dad, who said "well it's not american, but at least it's a v-twin"
I asked friends who were very avid motorcyclists, they said "never heard of it, but it looks cool in an old school way"
I called Tom, and told him I wanted to buy it, but "don't hold it for me, it might take me a few days to get my ducks in a row- but I'm 90% sure thats the one I want

I went to the bank to move around some money and apply for a small personal loan to cover the gap in my "motorcycle fund"....  Once I was all set, I called Eurosport to tell them I wanted it & was on the way, cash in hand...  The guy who just bought it was in the lot putting the tag on it!!!!

So I didn't get the V7, but 4 months later I found my v65 and I havent looked back since!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline yellowheader

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2019, 03:27:35 PM »
Summer of 1974, I was 9. I was invited by a school friend to go to with him and his parents on holidays
to British Columbia. We spent a 10 days traipsing around the Kootenays in their VW Beetle, camping in
a small tent trailer along the way. For two or three of those nights, there was a pair of big beautiful
motorbikes parked in the same campgrounds we stayed at. I think they were Eldorados, fully dressed for touring.
They left an impression on me, and ever since then Guzzi ownership was a dream.
In the fall of 2016, a couple of months after I got my Cali Stone, I took it through some of those same valleys and
passes we traveled in that noisy little bug decades before. The dream had come true!

Offline Doug McLaren

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2019, 04:22:08 PM »
I was at the Isle of Man TT in 1975 and saw a Guzzi S3 and an MV 750 Sport parked side by side. The sight must have lit some sort of slow burning fuse as it took me 23 years to get a Guzzi of my own. I bought a Le Mans in 1998 and have never been without a Guzzi since.
2019 V85TT
1994 Ducati 900 Monster
1957 Lodola 175

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2019, 05:11:56 PM »
I grew up in Akron, Ohio on a side street a couple of blocks from an intersection of a  small state highway and a couple of arterials. 6 corners it is called. It was either 1969 or 1970 and I was mowing the front yard when an old geezer on a , it must have been an Ambassador, pulled up and asked me for directions to Rt 261. He must have missed the sign. The guy and his bike were very impressive. He had a long grey beard, ancient leather jacket and a Pennsylvania plate, and was on his way to Michigan.  The bike must have been an early Ambassador as it was black with white pinstripes. I remember looking at the cylinders sticking out of the sides, the eagle and Moto Guzzi on the gas tank and thinking that that looked like a serious motorcycle for serious travelers. I tried to give him directions to the freeway so he could get on that and get to the Turnpike. I remember very clearly that he told me in no uncertain terms that super highways were no fun on a motorcycle and he preferred to ride on smaller backroads. So 261 it was. I have always remembered that guy and his Guzzi. It really got my interest in motorcycle travelling going. I have 6 Guzzis now and am an old Geezer myself, and I try to avoid riding the super slab.

Online HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2019, 06:44:27 PM »
The first one to make a lasting impression was at Nelson Ledges in Ohio.  Now I know it was Mike Tiberio's racer, but then I just knew it sounded like god's own motorcycle.   

A year or so later I was a student at the Univ. of Georgia and there was a black/green 1000S with big miles parked at the library most days.  Occasionally I'd see it in motion around Athens.  The hook was set.

Tim

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2019, 08:17:49 PM »
Back in the early 70's, we used to ride our dirt bikes to the Welsh Farms ice cream factory a few miles from home. I can remember pulling up one afternoon and there was this awesome looking red thing that looked so exotic next to our rat bikes or my father's CB500. Turns out to be the manager's Monza. We talked about his 'grand touring' bike and how different it was from anything else on the market. I wanted one sooo badly.

Other than magazine articles I don't recall ever seeing another one until I walked into a dealer and saw a lonely EV Touring literally sitting in the corner by itself. I was coming off touring rigs and wanted something between a cruiser and standard. One test ride and I've been hooked ever since.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2019, 09:01:25 PM »
Early in 1970 the guy I bought my first road bike from, a 68' BMW R60 US, was selling it to buy a new MG Ambassador 750. I had a chance to go over his new Ambo as we worked together. I was totally impressed with the engineering, fit, finish and styling of the Guzzi. After a a couple of years touring two up on the BMW I sold it and bought a new 72' 850 Eldo. I have been riding Guzzi's exclusively from then to this day.  :thumb:   
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Pizza Guzzi

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2019, 09:56:12 PM »
First time I ever saw a Guzzi in the flesh was about 35 years ago when I was working a night shift in my mates servo ( gas station ).
Young lady pulls up on a big black Moto Guzzi and I remember thinking she must be a good rider to manage that beast. She fills the tank and pays for the fuel. As she cranked the motor over the left cylinder becomes enveloped in flames and she has the presence of mind to push the bike clear of the pumps and deploy the side stand. I grabbed a fire extinguisher and smothered the flames which was met with howls of protest about the mess I had made on her bike with the dry powder extinguisher ! 
Best guess was the needle and seat had stuck on the carb and the rest was history.

Glenn

Offline JukeboxGothic

• New Egg
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2019, 11:34:35 PM »
When I was 18 some friends and I used to skip class and go down to little Italy to a place that was frequented by a group of older italian gentlemen. The place was all tiled and had an espresso machine and a pool table and that was about it. They kept beers behind the counter for regulars. The waiter was a guy with next to no english that had a quiff and always wore a white t-shirt with his cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve. They caled him Elvis. Out the front of the restaurant he would park his T3 Californian and about every hour he would run out the front start it up and ride flat out around the block to the cheers of the old guys. It was hilarious. I later found out that they tolerated us in their space as they were betting on the results of our games of pool. I later saw a Guzzi in my street burn to the ground. That was really memorable.
Laverda 1200TS
Velocette Venom
Vespa px200E
LeMans Mk11
Zundapp DB200 1939
Yamaha RD400 1977

Offline Calculon

• Hatchling
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2019, 01:18:19 AM »
I found the V7 back in 2013 when I got my license.  It seemed like exactly what I wanted, but I thought it unwise to spend that much for my first bike.
2015 Honda Forza 300 ABS

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2019, 03:39:59 AM »
I first heard about them in the late 60's when an article appeared in an Australian M/C mag about a V7 that had been entered in a 5 or 6 day off-road event in Aus.  The guy fitted a bash plate and won it; everything else in the event that could challenge him fell to bits.  The photo of a road bike sending up a shower of sand off the front wheel had me IMPRESSED!!!

Fast forward to the late 90's and I saw a white Lario in a carpark; looked magnificent.

2003, looking at getting another bike without chains, 200,000miles plus, a lot on an old Matchy single and it came down to either BMW or check out a Guzzi.  Body was showing signs of wear and tear so it couldn't be too heavy with dodgy shoulders.  Couldn't gell with an FS650 BMW but fell in love with the Breva.

The rest as they say, is history. Still have it, still love it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:46:25 PM by Muzz »
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2019, 04:55:23 AM »
It was a then new Mk 2 Le Mans at I think Peter Stevens in Elizabeth St Melbourne.
My Dad took about 5 minutes of me trying to convince him that he really should bring it home. He had ridden there on a tatty 650 Yamaha.
The dealer offered what seemed to be a reasonable amount on the 650 as a trade in on the $4,600 dollar Guzzi.
Dear old Dad took it as a personal insult when the dealer was less than keen to sell the bike with absolutely no profit margin.
He told the bloke his bike was artificially inflated in price and stormed out, riding the XS 650 home.
I really liked the bike, thought Dad was a bit of a tool.

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2019, 06:20:18 AM »
in the early 80s, just out of college, i read a review in cycle or cycle world or one of them about i think a lemans.  the reviewer talked about how different it was, but in its element it was a real pleasure.  he described riding in southern indiana along the ohio river, an area i know well.  the roads would be perfect for an MG of the day, or today as well.  many sweepers.  he gave a very funny account of passing an old farmer in an old pickup with an old dog in the back at an outrageous speed on a 2 lane and that the bike went 130 mph.  it sounded like a goldie locks bike to me compared to the harder edge ducatis and dull bmws of the time.  the wife and i were on a long trip to visit her people in the days of 55mph and i kept thinking how great it would be to be on that bike going 130 (faster than the Cessna 172 cruised in those days for you flyboys), sure would have saved some time.  on return home to suburban Maryland, i tried to find one of those bikes.  the "dealer" was a guy in an industrial park.  his shop was literally a repair shop and he had one bike, not sure it was the same model.  but, at that time, it was only a dream for a guy making $200 per week as i think it was in the upper $3,000 range.  it took a lot of years, but the idea never left me and here i am typing to you.  the weather here finally broke and in 1/2 hour, i am going to ride Blu to the office.
Blue Guzz

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2019, 07:54:00 AM »

LeMans III in the moto mags in about 1983.

Been hooked on Guzzis ever since.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2019, 08:07:06 AM »
The first one that I saw was in a showroom about 5 years ago.  It was not set up for a test ride but they did have a Custom to test.  I took it out and it ran terribly...stutteri ng like crazy and nearly stalled at 3,400 rpm.  I limped the bike back to the shop and informed them of the problem.  I said when it was fixed give me a call, I'll ride it again and if I liked it I would buy the red Cali 1400 Tour on the floor.  They never called back.  I called about a month later and the bike was sold.  I started to poke around in this and another forum and got favorable info on the bike.  I called a dealer in PA, bought a red Cali 1400 Tour, had it set up and shipped to me. 
When the bike arrived by private carrier, the trailer it was in had been in an accident and the side was nearly torn off.  It was held together by duct tape and straps.  However, the driver walked the bike out of the back of what was left of the trailer and it was pristine. I told him that I would not accept delivery until I rode it...I've been riding it ever since.

Be well,
DougG

P.S.  Both dealers and the transporter are now out of business.  Go figure.
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2019, 11:04:48 PM »
My first experience with an Italian motorcycle is when I bought the first year Ducati 900 SS with the white wheels and frame.  Still one of the prettiest bikes ever. I had a trifold brochure and wore it out looking at the pictures and info (pre internet). Then, about a year or so later,  I saw my first MG,  a Daytona
1000.  What curious manner of two wheeled contraption is this?  I was totally enamored with my V Twin, but was intrigued with this different way of mounting a 90 degree motor.  Interesting...... Fast forward to Daytona for the races in 2000.  Spotted this interesting wild green bike with a partial red frame in the vendor area in the front parking lot of the Speedway.  I worked my way over and was looking at the preproduction for the V 11 Sport.  Bike didn't even run, but it was stunning.  A friend of mine bought the green one and still has it today.  My second "Ah Hah" Guzzi moment.  Third time is a charm as they say.
Got my red/white V 85 last Wednesday.  My final motorcycle purchase, my first & last Guzzi.   I am convinced I couldn't have chosen better.

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2019, 06:10:35 AM »
talk me down please.  yesterday, i called and confirmed that cadre has a ronald mcdonald v85 with luggage ready to go, unclaimed and that they would give me a crazy amount of money for Blu in trade and that the difference would be piddling.  don't let me do this, someone stop me.
Blue Guzz

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2019, 08:20:24 AM »
talk me down please.  yesterday, i called and confirmed that cadre has a ronald mcdonald v85 with luggage ready to go, unclaimed and that they would give me a crazy amount of money for Blu in trade and that the difference would be piddling.  don't let me do this, someone stop me.

A blue 2015 Cal14 Custom recently sold near me at a Honda dealership for $6500.  If your dealer is offering "a crazy amount of money" for it, you might seriously consider the offer!

Oh, and it's not a "ronald mcdonald" paint scheme, but a tribute to the Guzzi Paris-Dakar bike from thirty years ago.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2019, 08:22:14 AM »

Do it! Do it! Do it!& Do it! Do it! Do it!Do it! Do it! Do it!Do it! Do it! Do it!Do it! Do it! Do it!Do it! Do it! Do it!Do it! Do it! Do it!

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2019, 08:58:28 AM »
Depends if you want an adventure style  bike. 

Offline Siamese

• Gosling
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2019, 09:47:11 AM »
I was 18 in 1972, and I had just traded my 1971 Ossa 250 Pioneer and some cash for my dad's 1971 Honda CB750.  He replaced his bike with a Moto Guzzi.  I thought he was nuts.  I'd never heard of them.  Gee dad, you just bought an Italian motorcycle that looks something like a Harley and has no manufacturer's warranty.  Did you just have a stroke, or what?  He was in love with that Guzzi, but I had zero interest in it, and I can't even recall which model it was other than it was likely an Eldorado.  Black.  I rode it a couple times at his urging, but was totally unimpressed. 

Fast forward to a year ago, and I bought my MG, a V7III Special in black.  I didn't get it out of any nostalgia.  I was looking for a dependable retro machine that was easy to service, etc. and so on. 

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2019, 12:03:56 PM »
The first time I saw a V-twin Guzzi in person was probably in Chicago around 1970, and it must have been a black Ambassador in use as a courier bike for one of the TV stations (in those days, before digital satellites relay, couriers ran news film or videotape from remote locations to the studio). Reading about the bikes in Cycle and Cycle World, the layout just made sense to me and I admired the muscular looks. In 1982 I was living in New York and rebuilding a barn-find Laverda. I went to a dealer in New Jersey for parts, and they had a Guzzi or two in the showroom. I especially admired a used 850T painted in LeMans red-and-black colors. When I finally gave up on the Laverda I traded it for the 850T I still own, and painted it that way.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2019, 12:11:22 PM »
Early sixties, downtown Portland looking at a Police Guzzi on the street. :copcar: I am not too sure what i thought of it, but it was stuck in my mind till this day.. Must of been 5 or 6 at the time.. I do remimber the rose city buses had stick shifts
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 12:14:00 PM by Brand X »

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2019, 03:53:10 PM »
Mk2 Le Mans at the Karuah River Rally in about 1984. Looked great, sounded great.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2019, 03:59:55 PM »

I'm not in the market for a V85 presently, but my Stelvio has taught me the utility, seat room, and versatility of the "dual-sport-styled" motorcycles.   I don't necessarily like the looks, but for just all-around comfortable, practical, stuff-hauling, long-distance riding, you can't beat this type of bike.

If they really are offering you a decent trade for your current bike (measure twice, cut once) and you've made sure of it, I'd definitely do it.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2019, 04:48:39 PM »
For 3 years in the early 1980's I lived in London, north of Camden. At the time dispatch riders were the renegade heros carving up the city traffic. Hanging out at a bike repair shop with the dispatch riders I fell for the Mk I red LeMans; small, powerful, beautiful and a glorious sound.
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here