Author Topic: V85TT just picked up  (Read 6929 times)

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V85TT just picked up
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2019, 03:23:00 PM »
The service tool is on my Breva most all the time. I can enter a code to remove it,  but it pops up every 6200 miles.  It’s not very intrusive so I just ignore it, it may not be so easy to do so on the 85 screen.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2019, 03:56:45 PM »
Quote from: LongRanger lifl.nk=topic=101917.msg1612328#msg1612328 date=1563389990
My two BMW's have a service light. I do my own maintenance and just ignore it.

I'm a luck guy.  :laugh:
The BMW dealer I use, in Ft Meyers, will reset the service light for no charge, no appointment required and usually less then 20 minutes.. They'll do that as a curtiousy to any BMW rider that stops by. They'll also mount new tires that were not purchased from them. GOOD PROPLE they are!

My nearest dealer, in Sarasota, will charge $$$ for every breath of air you inhale after you enter the shop, they mount only tires purchased from them,  and their service sux's.  :angry

The white/red color V85 is by far my favorite color. I'm not fond of the Ronald McDonald or bland gray.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 04:00:24 PM by roadscum »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Offline Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2019, 04:26:20 PM »
I will snap a picture and post it of what I did to cure the Ronald look.   I powder coated the front and rear sections satin black.  Looks MUCH better, at least to me.
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2019 Alta Redshift EXR - clone
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Centenario
2024 Stelvio V100

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2019, 05:42:29 PM »
I’m just curious.  Why do you think much of the world gets to choose from 5 colors for a v85, but N/America gets just 3?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2019, 05:42:29 PM »

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2019, 10:35:41 PM »
.... so I just ignore it, it may not be so easy to do so on the 85 screen.

Mine has just appeared @ 1500 km (932 miles).  It's a small yellow spanner, not as intrusive as other models.

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2019, 06:18:36 PM »
I’m just curious.  Why do you think much of the world gets to choose from 5 colors for a v85, but N/America gets just 3?

Punishment for wrecking Monte Cassino?
Severus bastardis

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2019, 07:58:14 PM »
Punishment for wrecking Monte Cassino?

Cue the photos of Mussolini upside down.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:00:27 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2019, 10:48:08 PM »
Cue the photos of Mussolini upside down.
Cue my discussions with a 92 year man and his wife, grandparents of a friend.  They came from Frosinone, and still live nearby.  He was not so far from Monte Cassino in 1944 and we discussed it.  Her house was bombed and her blue eyed sister killed.  They said how thankful they were and are for the American role.  Nice people.

I saw my first V85TTs in the flesh today, and I was very much impressed by the bike.  Light and pretty.  When somebody figures out how to permanently turn off the service light, it's a bike for me.  Discussed that issue with dealer principal...  Yes, only the dealer can turn it off and even he can't turn it off with local software, he has to be connected to the Piaggio server to do it.  In that way Piaggio keeps track of the bikes service record for their future benefit in selling used bikes, potentially denying warranty claims in some markets and so on.  They can have that data from me...  when they pay me for it.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2019, 04:19:36 PM »
I saw my first V85TTs in the flesh today, and I was very much impressed by the bike.  Light and pretty.  When somebody figures out how to permanently turn off the service light, it's a bike for me.  Discussed that issue with dealer principal...  Yes, only the dealer can turn it off and even he can't turn it off with local software, he has to be connected to the Piaggio server to do it.  In that way Piaggio keeps track of the bikes service record for their future benefit in selling used bikes, potentially denying warranty claims in some markets and so on.  They can have that data from me...  when they pay me for it.

It's true that Piaggio wants to have a more complete service record of the V85. When I look at the current situation, where dealers hardly put any service info in the Piaggio service system, it's hard to do warranty work. Haveing to ask for service bills before  granting warranty. And we all know, bills can be made.
Piaggio asked dealers to put also the mounting of accesoiries in their system. Maybe they are trying to raise the quality of their network.

The PADS system needed for resetting the servicelight, asks for internet at startup, but that is only to check for updates. Since most dealers are to lousy to update the thing, so you don't get latest maps, they made it auto check. And then still most will skip the PADS update.

I would love to make you all a service reset with Guzzidiag, what is missing is a test system(dash/ecu/loom), the PADS we did buy for it.
When there is a way to make it work, in the end we find it.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2019, 04:52:48 PM »
@pauldaytona, thanks for that useful information.  A method to permanently disable the service light would be great. If I buy a V85TT it won’t ever return to a Piaggio dealer, I have no need to use the dealer except for the coercive service light reset nonsense.  That will of course be even more true for buyers who live hundreds of miles from a dealer - whose light will otherwise stay lit forever. One could snip the wire... except that option has undoubtedly been removed by CANBUS.

I know a guy who is an Engineer for a major French turbine engine company.  The company directs him, more or less, to order customers to provide their service records for company use.  He has had to explain to them that this is not exactly how things work in America  :grin:  Service practices are a competition sensitive item that allows one company to beat another by lowering their costs when experience shows it possible - and no, they aren’t going to share that data with anyone.  If he asks customers to cooperate and supply their service data the answer is invariably “what’s it worth to you?”...  and that would likewise be my response to Piaggio.  They work for me, not vice versa, and unless a failure covered by warranty were directly related to a particular service item or material, I wouldn’t even provide hard copies of my receipts - as it’s not required by US consumer law.

BTW, the stated reason BMW tells their US dealers to collect and download as much customer service data as possible is to support higher ‘BMW Certified’ used vehicle values, from which the guy trading in the vehicle does not typically benefit.  In BMW’s view that’s the biggest purpose of the service light and its mandatory connection to their computer, as well as to coerce the owner into buying dealer service...  However the latter factor they do not want to discuss openly because that’s a legal issue in the US.  One more reason I drive Japanese and why BMW is a 1.8% market share ‘bit player’ in the US vehicle market.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 10:38:02 AM by Tusayan »

Offline Larry

• Gosling
  • Escape Reality At Any Cost I Say
    • Melbourne West Church
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2019, 12:09:49 AM »
I will snap a picture and post it of what I did to cure the Ronald look.   I powder coated the front and rear sections satin black.  Looks MUCH better, at least to me.
I'd like to see that because when I saw the first pics of that color scheme way back I said that's what I'd do to it.
Larry
2002 Stone 1100 - Gone
2005 Breva 1100 - Gone
2012 Stelvio 1200 8V ABS - Gone
2013 Sport 1200 8V ABS - Current

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2019, 04:56:49 PM »
@pauldaytona, thanks for that useful information.  A method to permanently disable the service light would be great. If I buy a V85TT it won’t ever return to a Piaggio dealer, I have no need to use the dealer except for the coercive service light reset nonsense.  That will of course be even more true for buyers who live hundreds of miles from a dealer - whose light will otherwise stay lit forever. One could snip the wire... except that option has undoubtedly been removed by CANBUS.

I know a guy who is an Engineer for a major French turbine engine company.  The company directs him, more or less, to order customers to provide their service records for company use.  He has had to explain to them that this is not exactly how things work in America  :grin:  Service practices are a competition sensitive item that allows one company to beat another by lowering their costs when experience shows it possible - and no, they aren’t going to share that data with anyone.  If he asks customers to cooperate and supply their service data the answer is invariably “what’s it worth to you?”...  and that would likewise be my response to Piaggio.  They work for me, not vice versa, and unless a failure covered by warranty were directly related to a particular service item or material, I wouldn’t even provide hard copies of my receipts - as it’s not required by US consumer law.

Don't let it hold you from buying a V85, it is to much fun. Ignore or just put something over it.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2019, 02:28:10 PM »

Sorry it took so long to post the pictures, It's been raining here.  The front and rear sections unbolt and I sandblasted / powder coated them satin black.  It tones down the "Ronald" look and I like it a lot better.  At least it's an option for those that dislike the color combination.
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2019 Alta Redshift EXR - clone
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Centenario
2024 Stelvio V100

Offline guzzimaster

• New Egg
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2019, 04:49:45 PM »
 :bike-037: 
Wrench on at 925miles.
Used green tape - looks really sharp, can't tell from 5'.
Too much vibration in handlebar from the engine. 
Rode gnarly 2-track & flooded trail & minor rock crawling - it did awesome.
Yes Matt, this is Roy the karma bell dude from Washington.

MotorOverTimeObedie ntly GasUpZigzagZoomInde finetly
'74 California "Santana" / 2020 V85tt "Liberty / 2014 California Custom "Black Pony"

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2019, 10:28:39 PM »
I'm not sure what bike you are comparing it to but my V85 has far less vibration at that bars than either my V7 or Stelvio.

Offline gthorpe

• New Egg
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2019, 10:50:05 PM »
Congratulations! very cool bike.
Glenn T.
2016 Eldorado 1400
2014 Ducati Monster 796

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here