Author Topic: 4 States Area Meetup - June 2021  (Read 21658 times)

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
4 States Area Meetup - June 2021
« on: July 25, 2019, 06:01:53 PM »
Recently, a few of us had a pretty good time meeting up and having a meal at the Nut Hut in Altoona, KS, and there has been some discussion about starting up a regular 4 states area meetup. The idea is to rotate it through the 4 states, each meetup, in order to keep things fresh and even out the riding distances for the attendees. So far, The Undercliff at Tipton Ford, MO, and the Reddings Mill Inn around Joplin have been suggested as future destinations. Now all we need to do is settle on a date and destination for the next one, and get some ideas for Arkansas and Oklahoma. So let's get some ideas flowing, folks!

As an aside, I apologize for taking so long to post this. I had said (and intended) to do it, last Monday, but I've been on overtime and had several other things on my plate.

edited subject line - R59
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 09:22:33 PM by JC85 »
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Re: 4 States Area Meetups
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 06:06:13 PM »
Good idea...

Here in the southwest, there is a big, annual bike event in Ignacio, CO, near the "Four Corners" states of AZ-CO-UT-NM.  Mostly a Harley event, but it is always well attended...

Is there going to be a Guzzi event next year at Cedar Vale, KS again?  There is a group of us here in AZ that might make the long journey next May... :thumb: :cool: :boozing: :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 06:10:48 PM »
Good idea...

Here in the southwest, there is a big, annual bike event in Ignacio, CO, near the "Four Corners" states of AZ-CO-UT-NM.  Mostly a Harley event, but it is always well attended...

Is there going to be a Guzzi event next year at Cedar Vale, KS again?  There is a group of us here in AZ that might make the long journey next May... :thumb: :cool: :boozing: :smiley:

There will most definitely be a Wild Guzzi National at Cedar Vale, next year, and with any luck, the Sultan will be there in all of his glory.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 06:19:09 PM »
I'm in JC! Either one of those joints are cool with me. I'm good most Saturdays. There is also Fred & Reds's Chili in Joplin and Cap's cabin in Lamar for fish & Chips, and all the fried chicken joints around Pittsburgh like Barto's and Chicken Annie's
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 06:19:09 PM »

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 07:31:25 PM »
I'm in JC! Either one of those joints are cool with me. I'm good most Saturdays. There is also Fred & Reds's Chili in Joplin and Cap's cabin in Lamar for fish & Chips, and all the fried chicken joints around Pittsburgh like Barto's and Chicken Annie's

Most excellent. I'll add those to the list for MO and KS destinations. Depending on the places and times, I may or may not be able to make Saturdays for a while, as I'll be working until 2 PM on those days, for the foreseeable future. Whatever works for the most people is the important thing, though. If Saturdays work best, then I'll make whichever ones I can!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:09:12 PM by JC85 »
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 07:47:47 PM »
Most excellent. I'll add those to the list for MO and KS destinations. Depending on the places and times, I may or may not be able to make Saturdays for a while, as I'll be working until 2 PM on those days, for the foreseeable future. Whatever works for the most people is the important thing, though. If Saturdays work best, then I'll make whatever meetups ones I can!

I can do a Sunday too <shrug> as long as I get my honey-doo's done

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 06:13:51 AM »
I'm 251 miles east of the Oklahoma border on interstate 44 - so I'd be interested;  I missed the last one because my Wife made me take her to Yellowstone and all that.  Instead.

:bike-037:

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 06:16:33 AM by kballowe »

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 08:50:24 PM »
Hmmmm.....

I'd definitely need to meet up after enjoying my typical ~100 mile loop (~120 miles if goats are involved) of sweet SW Missouri county road curves. That's an open invitation to anyone who cares to join. Longer distance arrivals are more than welcome to camp out at my place..or crash in the shop. I'll even make sure the bike lift is unoccupied and at your favorite elevation. Crib rails are your responsibility.
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan America

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 06:38:35 AM »
Your "neck of the woods" seems to be about the mid point for everyone Leroy. (except you)  We could meet down at Jasper so you can get a ride in if you want to  :thumb:

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 08:06:33 AM »
Your "neck of the woods" seems to be about the mid point for everyone Leroy. (except you)  We could meet down at Jasper so you can get a ride in if you want to  :thumb:

If we did that, I may ne able to get ahold of one of my dad's old Guzzi buddies who we did a lot of touring with, back in the day. If I remember correctly, he lives around Jasper.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 09:47:44 AM »
Jasper is the heart of riding.   I remember stopping for lunch at Low Gap and saw John & Chris there.  I was just riding on a Thursday on my way to Harrison and decided to turn at the crossroads to go to lunch.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 11:47:11 AM »
 Salina OK is located in the middle of some good riding , has some interesting history and a large lake with camping . There is a Best Western just down the road in Locust Grove . No idea about the restaurants , although there are a couple in town .

Picher OK is now a ghost town , but it eerie to ride thru there and realize it was once a thriving little community . Commerce is just down the road , where Mickey Mantle grew up , even the old home he grew up in is a bit of an historical experience , the old metal barn/garage on the property still bears the dents from a young Mickey smacking baseballs into its West side while his dad Mutt pitched to him . Afton is 20 miles South of Commerce , and has an interesting car museum where several of the actual car engine sounds for the movie *Cars* were recorded . There is a motorcycle museum in Miami OK , although the Second Kick motorcycle museum in Grove is much better , and also has an in house eatery that mostly just serves old fashioned coneys .

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 12:02:29 PM »
Jasper is the heart of riding.   I remember stopping for lunch at Low Gap and saw John & Chris there.  I was just riding on a Thursday on my way to Harrison and decided to turn at the crossroads to go to lunch.

Running down to Jasper in the A.M.   :thumb: 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 05:05:25 PM »
We had lots of rides on Rt 66 between Tulsa and OKC (Stroud, Bristow, Jones, Luther, Cushing).  Had lunch in Pawnee and saw Pawnee Bill's ranch.  Lunch at the Mexican restaurant at the Ponca City Airport.  Chicken in Okarche.  Met up at the Undercliff in MO.  There's a chicken shack in Luther.  And Guthrie is very cool old western town and Byron Berline's Bluegrass Fest is in the fall.  We had a run to a small waterfall around Siloam Springs.  Tahlequah has great roads north and eat, don't know of restaurants.  And Dusty mentioned Grand Lake.

One of the best runs is down to Mt Scott & Meers Store in Wichita Mtns.  Probably a little far from Mizzoura but still a neat run.

We're a little more spread out than when Michael was swinging it.  If we go deep into MO and ARK like Jasper, it would be an overnighter for me.  The farthest one day deal for me was probably the Undercliff.  Same is true if the eastern guys ran with the buffaloes at Mt Scott or attended Byron's fest.  Actually, I am the only one spread out, I think the bulk of you guys are east of me.

My favorite weekend is Harrison/Jasper/Yellville and running the twisties like I did in June.

If you want to announce a ride up, I have a copy of Michael's e-mail list.  Last time I used it was for Gary Scotts Campout at Canton Lake. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 05:11:55 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2019, 08:02:50 PM »
Running down to Jasper in the A.M.   :thumb:

Alright, now I get it. I didn't understand the attraction of a ride to Jasper, MO....
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan America

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 07:06:49 AM »
I'm in. Possibly "we're" in if momma is up to it.  Us in the 4-states are very lucky that there is a wealth of places to go and see. Hard to narrow anything down, so yes a rotational thing would be cool. Would give people a good excuse to get off the couch.

Ideas
Missouri: Undercliff, Roaring River State Park
Arkansas: Oark General Store
Oklahoma: Talimena Drive restaurant (Skyline Cafe)
Kansas: Big Brutus (West Mineral), Invade Chet
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 01:50:36 PM »

I’m somewhat familiar with some sw Missouri roads if anyone likes smooth curvy asphalt 🤗🤗
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:34:34 AM by Guzzistajohn »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 02:12:54 PM »
If some of you didn't mind riding further into KS I would suggest coming up to Newton. We have an excellent Italian restaurant and several very good Mexican ones.
Dennis Franz lives in Newton. A very interesting and talented guy. Search "Dennis Franz V-8" on You Tube. He has built scale model tractors, diesel Guzzi, a 500cc V-8 that he has in a running bike frame and much more. I am quite sure I could arrange a tour.
I also have plenty of camping room.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 07:03:50 AM »
Salina OK is located in the middle of some good riding , has some interesting history and a large lake with camping . There is a Best Western just down the road in Locust Grove . No idea about the restaurants , although there are a couple in town .

Picher OK is now a ghost town , but it eerie to ride thru there and realize it was once a thriving little community . Commerce is just down the road , where Mickey Mantle grew up , even the old home he grew up in is a bit of an historical experience , the old metal barn/garage on the property still bears the dents from a young Mickey smacking baseballs into its West side while his dad Mutt pitched to him . Afton is 20 miles South of Commerce , and has an interesting car museum where several of the actual car engine sounds for the movie *Cars* were recorded . There is a motorcycle museum in Miami OK , although the Second Kick motorcycle museum in Grove is much better , and also has an in house eatery that mostly just serves old fashioned coneys .

Dusty

BTW... There is a motorcycle museum in Miami OK.   Or was ?

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 09:14:02 AM »

BTW... There is a motorcycle museum in Miami OK.   Or was ?

https://www.route66vintageiron.com/

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 09:22:21 AM »
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g51388-d10067170-r545622821-Checkered_Past-Grove_Oklahoma.html

Second Kick in Grove is motorcycle museum + restaurant

I've not been to this one or the one Miami. 

I suppose most you have already been to Seaba Station Motorcycle Museum?
John L 

oldbike54

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2019, 10:51:13 AM »
 The MC museum in Miami is more of a merchandise outlet , 2nd Kick in Grove is more of an enthusiasts hangout , like Seaba Station. Met the guy who owns 2nd Kick before he really even started the museum project , a real live MC junkie , bikes everywhere at his house and place of business . Delrod and I spent a pleasant few hours in his new museum , one of the owner's partners in crime worked for Triumph back in the day , his scrapbook is amazing .

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2019, 11:16:31 AM »

Last time I was @ the Miami (or Mi-am-uh) museum they had a cool display of Steve McQueen's stuff. Did you know he was a Missouri boy??
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 11:19:31 AM by Guzzistajohn »

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2019, 11:25:29 AM »
Lots of great ideas floating around. I think I know where we'll set the next one for. I'll check some things out, tonight, and make a post about it, this week.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2019, 12:36:29 PM »
Lots of great ideas floating around. I think I know where we'll set the next one for. I'll check some things out, tonight, and make a post about it, this week.

Get er dun JC

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2019, 12:55:37 PM »

Last time I was @ the Miami (or Mi-am-uh) museum they had a cool display of Steve McQueen's stuff. Did you know he was a Missouri boy??

I think Steve McQueen may have spent a little time in his youth in Slater, but not much....

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
I think Steve McQueen may have spent a little time in his youth in Slater, but not much....
  All I have to go on is that billboard I drove by last week <shrug> but thanks for the "correction"
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 02:14:29 PM by Guzzistajohn »

Offline Gary Scott

• Guzzigary
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Gary Scott
    • guzzigary52@gmail.com
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2019, 02:11:50 PM »
  In Vinita,Okla  Clanton,s on Route 66 is a wildly Noted restaurant that has the finest calf fries I ever ate.
   The place is visited a lot buy the Guy in a red Camaro on the food channel.

Retirement is treating me just fine.
Working part time now, more hours now than when i was working full time it sucks

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2019, 02:15:17 PM »
  In Vinita,Okla  Clanton,s on Route 66 is a wildly Noted restaurant that has the finest calf fries I ever ate.
   The place is visited a lot buy the Guy in a red Camaro on the food channel.

I've heard of that place

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 02:17:48 PM by Guzzistajohn »

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2019, 02:30:12 PM »
What ?

Nobody mentioned throw'd rolls ?

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here