Author Topic: 2018 Eldorado  (Read 6628 times)

Online moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2018 Eldorado
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2020, 10:55:21 AM »
  More than a few years ago (middle 2000's) while working at Harley dealerships , a common and cheap improvement
in low speed running was the installation of an H-D non adjustable module which made noticeable improvements to the low
speed running on non modified engines . Keeping the bike stock pretty much negates the wisdom of spending cash
on a power commander ( which worked well on many of the significantly modified H-D motors ) . Keeping it stock is a priority.
   So to return to my last question , has anyone tried the "Booster Plug" ?   Peter

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2020, 12:56:17 PM »
I was impressed with the powerband & fueling on the 1400 Touring I rode.  I did give the Mrs a big jolt a couple of time when I stabbed the throttle in V mode (even though I did it on purpose.  Heck it had a backrest on it, she didn't fall off.) 

Then I slipped it in Urban mode.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2020, 03:49:20 PM »
  More than a few years ago (middle 2000's) while working at Harley dealerships , a common and cheap improvement
in low speed running was the installation of an H-D non adjustable module which made noticeable improvements to the low
speed running on non modified engines . Keeping the bike stock pretty much negates the wisdom of spending cash
on a power commander ( which worked well on many of the significantly modified H-D motors ) . Keeping it stock is a priority.
   So to return to my last question , has anyone tried the "Booster Plug" ?   Peter

I've read forum posts from those who tried it saying it definitely helped. You'll also find posts from those who have never tried aftermarket tuning devices condemning the whole idea. The Eldorado 1400 is certainly a beautiful motorcycle. Though they very often need adjustments and tuning to get to them properly sorted out. Once properly sorted, they're a real treat. Getting them properly sorted can (not necessarily will) be an issue. If you have the interest and the ability to sort out the fueling of the Eldo you test rode, you'll likely be well pleased with the purchase. If not, look elsewhere. The market is over flowing with excellent new and used options. 

PCV's are typically under $350 (used $200) and a dyno tuning session is typically around $250. If you've been around a tuned H-D, Indian or Victory etc, you know the difference can be night and day in heat reduction, performance increases and fuel consumption reduction. All factors going in the right direction.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 03:57:31 PM by TN Mark »

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2020, 04:46:49 PM »
Alls I know is I want one.  Red.   Maybe someday
1994 California 1100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2020, 04:46:49 PM »

Online moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2020, 05:06:31 PM »
 I should know within a week if the beauty is coming home with me or not. It may be a simple
matter of getting the throttle bodies sync'd . It wasn't from being cold as I rode it for over 25 miles.
Peter

Offline harry h

• Hatchling
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2020, 10:00:38 PM »
I really like my 2016 and think the stock set up is really good.  I realize mapping would let the engine run cooler and probably run even better but really don't want to spend the money on something that I feel isn't necessary, at least for me.  On another note, I just texted the guy who designed the Eldo and asked if there was any difference with the 2016-2018 models other than the cruise control.  He said there should be no difference in the models at all.  The risk is for the 2021 Euro 5.  I do find the cruise on mine to be touchy but rarely use it anyway.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:06:49 PM by Harry H »
1972 Eldorado
2016 Eldorado

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2020, 12:37:11 AM »
Can you text him again to ask what ever happened to the Eldorado rear passenger backrest/luggage rack? Nearly a year ago he said it “fell through the cracks”. Seriously, what’s the issue?

Offline harry h

• Hatchling
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2020, 12:44:04 AM »
Can you text him again to ask what ever happened to the Eldorado rear passenger backrest/luggage rack? Nearly a year ago he said it “fell through the cracks”. Seriously, what’s the issue?

Went through that with him already.  It just never made it into production, he made calls and it did fall through the cracks.  Todd at Guzzitech ended up making one for me that you can order.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:46:20 AM by Harry H »
1972 Eldorado
2016 Eldorado

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2020, 11:32:22 AM »
Alls I know is I want one.  Red.   Maybe someday

Same here. I started with the red one but I’ve switched my affections to an all black one. Though I still hold out hope for a Touring version, maybe called the Ambassador as a centennial model. I just love the styling cues of the Eldo over all the other 1400 variants.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2020, 12:49:32 PM »
I am partial to the Audace. It is the one that nobody wants though. A great bike except for the fueling issues but those are a minor nuisance compared to all the good stuff. I have the early cruise control which does not have a plus, minus or resume. I need cruise for my messed up right hand, I just set the cruise just below the average speed of traffic near me. That is usually the speed limit anyway.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2020, 01:25:12 PM »
Went through that with him already.  It just never made it into production, he made calls and it did fall through the cracks.  Todd at Guzzitech ended up making one for me that you can order.

Must be a pretty big crack. They still can’t seem to build what they showed installed on an Eldorado at a trade show. Sadly that’s become SOP for the brand.  No thank you on the GT version.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2020, 01:51:13 PM »
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2020, 02:42:56 PM »
I think only if you remove the Eldo two piece seat for the CA Touring one piece seat. I'm not 100% certain on that, but that's the only way I've ever seen this unit mounted on an Eldorado. In reality, if you're good with bending a few steel bars, making one fit the Eldorado could be the best way to go. The GT unit is expensive at $900 and still doesn't include a luggage rack.

I posted a picture once of what is likely a home made unit that looked perfect on the Eldorado. I have a few friends who are machinists so if I had an Eldo, I'd ask them to make one. Total price would be the cost of the actual backrest plus material. Well under $200.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 02:57:44 PM by TN Mark »

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2020, 09:41:46 PM »
From what I have been able to find Dyno Jet does not make a PCV for Moto Guzzi. Guzzi Tech seems to have them, so are they modified to work with a Guzzi by Todd? But it seems if you get everything required to make the bike run better will require a significant investment but seems to be quite a quagmire as to what will work with what. Furthermore most of the information on that site as to what is required and how it works is several years old. I guess I will just deal with it until something better come along. Hopefully Beetle will write a map for the 1400's.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2020, 11:16:21 PM »
  Well , short of a flood , I'm going to be the owner of a 2018 Eldorado tomorrow , so you'll get to hear about
this adventure into a new Moto-Guzzi  :azn: . Last new bike, a 1980 Le Mans 2 , bought new in 1983 , does
anybody here even remember the 80's ?  Peter

Offline harry h

• Hatchling
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2020, 11:44:28 PM »
Congratulations!!  You will love it.
1972 Eldorado
2016 Eldorado

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2020, 05:12:26 AM »
I owned a Ducati a few years back and felt like the Booster Plug was a definite improvement on that bike, made it much easier to manage the throttle when puttering around our gravel drive and in and out of the garage.  Prior to buying I emailed with a few questions and Jens got back to me right away, always helpful and friendly but not the least pushy.  He offers a 4-week return policy that seems fair enough:

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/cms-terms_and_conditions.html

Congrats on the new bike Peter, can we see a few pictures, please?

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2020, 08:47:10 AM »
  Well , short of a flood , I'm going to be the owner of a 2018 Eldorado tomorrow , so you'll get to hear about
this adventure into a new Moto-Guzzi  :azn: . Last new bike, a 1980 Le Mans 2 , bought new in 1983 , does

Congratulations! So, some details please. Black or red, stock or with some accessories, dealer and the experience etc etc etc.

PS - regarding a PCV. Maybe they're plug type specific more than brand/model. I have huge doubt the PCV that's on my Victory is in anyway different from one that would work just as well on a Moto Guzzi. Just that mine was plug and play with the plug connections. Plug connections can be removed and the correct plug attached for pennies and in a few minutes. It's a very quick and easy alteration. The PCV basically adjusts the Air/Fuel ratio independently on the cylinders, their timing and at rpm ranges above 2500. Anyone who knows how to dyno tune an ail/oil cooled V-Twin can dyno tune an air/oil V-Twin. Be it Moto Guzzi, Indian, Victory, BMW, H-D etc. Finding someone that knows the sweet spot of A/F ratios of a specific brand/model is the key. Even a bone stock motorcycle will greatly benefit from aftermarket tuning equipment. A replacement map is simply doing internally what the PCV does externally. Something like a Maximus (direct ECU) tune can also adjust timing below 2500 while a PCV cannot. The difference between a properly tuned engine versus the oem government mandated fuel map is literally night and day.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 09:03:58 AM by TN Mark »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2020, 09:12:46 AM »
My 2015 1400 tourer seams to do fine with the factory mapping however my max RPM range is around 6800. I don’t ride hard but when I want to subside the need for speed, I want the full effect. I would like at least 7500 before she shuts down. I was ready to download a map with Mark(beetle) but at this time this is put on hold due to the possibility of “bricking” the ECU and in that case the gains are not worth that possibility, I trust Marks decision on this, it will get worked out.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2020, 08:43:46 AM »

Although I have not posted on this before now, I have followed your thread.

I have a bit under 30K on my '16 Eldo. I have no complaints with fueling or low rpm grunt. When I picked mine up, all the nanny net things were set to the most conservative settings. The traction control began to cut in on dry pavement. I literally pulled over and changed that on the spot. If the bike is in rain mode, that also dials down the performance. Touring and sport don't seem to be as drastic between the two as rain is, so look at the dash to see what the setting is. At idle, there is a deliberate lope to the engine. It is silly, but that is what Guzzi did. If your more used to Harley, you might not be spinning the engine enough in lower gears. Single throttle body, no syncing required. Like every new Guzzi I have ever had, the engine gets smoother as it gets some miles on it, getting smoother down low and spinning easier as you build the revs. Incidentally, The revs come very quickly as long as you don't lug it.

So, for now, check the MGCT setting and see which ride mode you're in. IIRC, the lower number is the less invasive setting. 1 to 3, and if Piogga(sp) is displayed on the dash, you're in sloth mode. Yes, this is a very different animal than your Lemon Z. :boozing:

John Henry

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2020, 10:22:45 AM »
It sounds like some of these are worse than others as far as low speed fueling goes. Mine isn't so good. I can run it over 3,000 rpm but I will be speeding on my street. Neighbors don't tolerate this very well. My former bike, a Harley was worse. It is just a result of the EPA's mandated lean burn requirement. Lean Burn was a trademarked name for a system used by Chrysler in the 70's to delay the move to catalytic converters. It didn't work very well for them either.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2020, 12:12:09 PM »
Yes Peter, I do like the Boosterplug. It seems to work quite well on catalyzed bikes. I had it on my BMW R1150RT as the fueling on that bike was atrocious. It worked. The other device that I have used on bikes is the EJK fuel controller. Unfortunately, they only make it for the 1200 sport. And besides here in SoCal you can't get much of anything because of CARB rules. AFI also has something that is similar made for Ducati and Guzzi.You cannot run the Boosterplug and the EJK fuel controller at the same time. They seem to cancel each other out. But EJK worked great on my Suzuki SV1000S and my Kawasaki Drifter 1500 and it is very easy to set yourself.
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2020, 04:36:17 PM »
i thought my stock mapping was good until I got the mistral bosterplug.  not faster, just smoother throttle response.
Blue Guzz

Online moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2020, 04:47:06 PM »
  Thanks again for all the follow up responses . As of yesterday , I'm now the owner of a new 2018 black Eldorado ! Was dropped off at the
dealership on a sunny day . Started raining as it was pushed out the door , 2 kilometers later it was hailing . Hid in a gas station for a few
minutes and off I went . 5 kilometers later sunshine and the weight left my shoulders . Geez that behemoth (at a stop light) sure lightens up
at walking speed . And trying to keep the revs down for break-in requires constant attention , it just seems to go . Low speed running and
new to me hydraulic clutch became a non issue after about a hundred K . Lost count of the number of times I got off to stare at this new beauty .
Good service from International Motorsports in Langley B.C . Call me one happy camper (and my wife loves it , how crazy is that ? )   :grin:Peter :grin:

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2020, 11:18:21 PM »
After reading everything on the Boosterplug site as to how it works and looking at a thread on Adventure Rider about them and how ell it worked for some Beemer rider I ordered one yesterday, I was concerned about using something that tricked the ECU in a linear fashion. This apparently doesn't do that but drops off at higher revs. I am supposed to get it in a week. It wasn't a lot of money so no great loss if it doesn't do what they say it is advertised to do. I am looking forward to it.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2020, 09:25:53 AM »
Teehee!

Hey, Pete.  Hearing the grin in your words made my day!  I spread the word to the rest of the Ottawa boyzz and the predominant comment was 'It ain't YELLOW!!'.

For the rest of y'all, Pete & I have been good friends/riding buddies since the early '70s when I showed up at his shop in Ottawa with my 69 BSA Rocket 3.  Some of you may remember the 'Peterbuilt' Guzzi chopper that he showed up on when the National was held in Paul Smiths, NY.  It was YELLOW.  His LMII was YELLOW.

I am sure that you & SWMBO will enjoy many, many miles on your new ride.

Cheers!

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2020, 11:53:58 AM »

For the rest of y'all, Pete & I have been good friends/riding buddies since the early '70s when I showed up at his shop in Ottawa with my 69 BSA Rocket 3. 

Hey Geoff,    Hope you're loving your new Triumph. Which shop was that? I haunted all the bike shops in Ottawa in the '70's, I've probably  bumped into him, looking at bikes or bling.

Congrats on the new bike Pete, wishing you many smooth miles and smiles.

Ride safe and often

Kelly

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2020, 01:21:38 PM »
i thought my stock mapping was good until I got the mistral bosterplug.  not faster, just smoother throttle response.

It would be nice to have a dollar for everytime I read comments on motorcycle forums where people would post how "the bike runs fine, I see no reason to add a ______"

Then at some future point the same person posts about their impression after installing an aftermarket tuning device. They all come down to something like this: "why did I wait so long, this bike is better than ever, I can't believe the difference. Thanks for the information everyone".

People simply don't know what improved performance (lower running temps, smoother running etc) is until they experience it or see the A to B results on a dyno sheet.

Ask yourself how much time Piaggio spent making the oem fuel map compliant versus making the bike perform and run well within its capabilities.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2020, 02:05:43 PM »
My experience has proven that a PCV will make a Guzzi, and any other I reckon, perform better, if it's the only viable option.  I put one on my 99 Bassa and had it tuned on a dyno for improved drivability.  It did improve drive-ability and my enjoyment of ridding it was certainly greater.

Couple years later, I took it  to Jim Barron who at the time was in Woodstock IL operating a Guzzi dealer, and asked him to give it the works over since it hadn't been given a "tune up" since it's 600 mile service years back.  Jim is one of the best techs in the nation.  When I went to pick it up, he handed me the PCV and told me I wouldn't need that any more.  I was a bit dubious, as I had spent hundreds getting the PCV dialed in, but I was wrong.  Without added, non OEM fuel devices he was able to tune the bike to run far better than it had ever run, period.

My point is, if you can find somebody that really knows their shit around FI Guzzi, and has the right tools, they can get them to run the way they should, and it's great!  But getting access to someone of that ability is not always practical.   I believe Jim is still operating as an independent in Ringwood, Northern IL.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2020, 02:34:09 PM »
     Hey Geoff,    Hope you're loving your new Triumph. Which shop was that? I haunted all the bike shops in Ottawa in the '70's, I've probably  bumped into him, looking at bikes or bling.

Congrats on the new bike Pete, wishing you many smooth miles and smiles.

Ride safe and often

Kelly

Hi Kelly

We might have bumped into one another back then too - memories of those days are kinda hazy if you know what I mean....

He worked at Ottawa Cycle back then, spent some time at Gary's Custom Cycle, and Felix at Cycle Salvage, Hurst Yamaha and Freedom Harley Davidson before migrating to the wet coast

I took the cover off the Bonnie today …. man that is one pretty motorcycle.

Cheers!

G
Midnight bugs taste best

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here