Author Topic: 2008 Breva 750 Charging Issue  (Read 4610 times)

Offline GonzoB

• Hatchling
    • Gonzo Projects
Re: 2008 Breva 750 Charging Issue
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2020, 10:22:10 PM »
Hi Larry.

Following on from Muzz' input, here's the wiring diagram I have:

I assume you are taking your voltage readings at the battery terminal, point A, (as recommended by the manual). It would be useful to be able to take a reading at B - somewhere in the wire on the regulator side of the fuse - when the charging fails. If it's a faulty connection between that wire and the battery you should have 14V at B, and 12.7 at A. I don't know what the access to the wire is... you might have to force a pin through the insulation and put the alligator clip from the meter on it.

Anyway, if the voltage at B is down, it means the regulator failed, or the earth connection at C has failed.

Gonzo
My '07 Breva 750 Projects: MCC cruise - Luggage - Shorter Shocks -

Offline Momo

• New Egg
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2020, 03:38:16 AM »
I will be interested in the final outcome, as I am finding the figures somewhat bizarre.

AC figures remain constant..... equals alternator ok.
Charge figures ok for 5 minutes, then fall away. 

This second one is often a symptom of a failing capacitor.....but, to my knowledge there are no capacitors in a regulator.  A bridge diode setup in a regulator I wouldn't have thought would fall away.  Diodes don't usually do that.  May be wrong on that though.  Usually when diodes get electrical constipation and won't pass a current they die completely and don't even scream.  That would then show up as no charge at all. (Actually, it may show up as a half of the sine curve charging?)

I hope it is the regulator Momo seeing as you already have it :laugh:, but if it doesn't, my suspicion is that a contact for whatever reason, is heating up over that 5 minutes and then breaking contact , whether it be verdigris, dielectric grease or a broken wire.

Best of luck anyway.

The weird part is disconnecting the battery when it stops charging, waiting a few minutes, reconnecting and the system works again for several   minutes.   Thanks for the input,    Larry

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2020, 07:00:35 AM »
If you look at the diagram the charging circuit on the Breva is very simple,
I started to go over all the connections then noticed Gonzo B had them covered 2 posts back.
I think the fact you found some corrosion of the connectors is raising a red flag, possibly a loose contact causing an electrochemical reaction, consider bypassing that connector altogether as a test.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 07:34:18 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Momo

• New Egg
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2020, 07:08:00 PM »
I'll replace the rectifier, then check voltage as suggested by gonzo.  I've been tied up working on my 77 El Camino providing long overdue maintenance so the Guzzi is in the background.   Appreciate the ideas and help, hopefully I'll have good news soon.   Regards,  Larry

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2020, 07:08:00 PM »

Offline Momo

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2021, 08:57:08 AM »

Finally got around to working on the Breva.  After replacing the rectifier again and still experiencing the same scenario (intermittent charging) I decided to order a new stator.  This is what I found upon removal of the old one.  I now have to source a new or good used rotor.  Anyone have either the part number or a source?  Looks as though the end of the rainbow is in sight and I may be able to ride again, didn't ride at all last year.  Thanks again for all the responses,  Larry

Offline Momo

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2021, 09:02:06 AM »
Anyone know if rotor from a 2017 V7 Anniversario will work with my 2008 Breva 750?

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2021, 10:36:43 AM »
Wow, looks bad.  Glad you found the problem.  Usually you can tell if parts will interchange by looking at the parts book; same parts carry the same numbers. 
That was true in years past, not sure if Guzzi maintanes that practice.

How about used units?
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2021, 11:03:00 AM »
     Harpers, MGcycle or Euromotoelectric, might be able to help you out, not particularly in that order, fwiw.

Glad to hear you're on the right track, good luck
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Momo

• New Egg
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2021, 09:30:43 PM »
I've used MG Cycles for parts, great to deal with BTW, but they didn't have a rotor on their site.  I found the Anniversario one on eBay, waiting to hear back from them as to fitment.  I sent my measurements, the listing photo looks just like mine. If that doesn't work out there is a much more expensive used one listed.

Wish I could determine how that happened.  Only thing I can think of is either something was picked up or the stator retaining bolts were not fully tightened. 

Keep y'all posted,  Larry

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2021, 02:50:48 AM »
I suppose your front main bearing is ok Momo.  No play?
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2021, 04:08:56 AM »
The rotor and stator should never make contact, you need to figure that out.
It's hard to see the damage properly, can you pull back a bit with the camera to get it in focus.
You should be able to get a stainless feeler or a thin aluminium shim in between the two parts all way around.
The friction is probably causing it to fail.
Like Muzz I'm worried about the main bearing.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 04:11:25 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Momo

• New Egg
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2021, 09:27:58 AM »
Sorry for the long delay.  I cannot physically move the crank. I'll put a dial indicator on it when I get a chance. I did source a new generator unit from Harper's for $350-waiting on delivery.  Curtis(I think that was his name) from Harpers thinks someone may have had the stator off and reinstalled improperly. I also think that is possible as the bolts holding the stator in place were easily loosened.  His idea was to use business cards to shim the stator when installing.  Sound like a plan?  Thanks again for the replies,  Larry

Offline Scousus maximus

• New Egg
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2021, 10:04:55 AM »
Hi,
just a note about rotor compatibility between models. The later V7 alternator is an oil bath type and uses a totally different rotor configuration so NG for you. Check pics on Google to see differences from MK 2 onwards.

Just a thought, can that rotor be skimmed and still give a decent AC reading? I'd give it a go before spending money anywhere. (GC) You would still need to find how it got like that though,,,piece of debris through the front cover maybe?

HTH,

John

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2021, 04:13:18 AM »
At least you have nailed down the reason for the failure, the alternators I have had apart it's virtually impossible to assemble wrong they just line up when bolted on.
The coils of the stator look kind of dark.
The V7 III alternators are completely different the stator is inside, the rotor outside and 3 phase, I had to replace mine because a couple of coils were shorted
, ,
Click to zoom
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 04:24:02 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline MattP

• Hatchling
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2021, 11:35:08 AM »
try this file the high spots off the rotor  sand off where it was rubbing on stator. It looks as if it was rubbing on one spot meaning the stator was off center and shorting out. reinstall with business cards as shims to keep on center. My bet it will work, cost nothing to try.Good luck Matt

Offline Momo

• New Egg
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2021, 09:51:26 PM »
I've already ordered the unit from Harpers Guzzi.  I thought of skimming the rotor and just replacing the stator but contrary to my frugal nature I ordered new.  I bought the bike for 2400 a bit more than a year ago so I rationalized spending 350-you know it means I only spent 2750 for the bike :violent1:   Hopefully the unit will be here this week and I'll be back on the road.  I may have a friend trim the buggered rotor  and see how it works.  As always, thanks for the replies, Larry

Offline Momo

• New Egg
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2021, 07:30:17 AM »
upon closer inspection of the damaged  rotor I noticed this divot.  Could a piece have dislodged from the rotor?

Offline Momo

• New Egg
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2021, 07:31:07 AM »
still awaiting parts from Harpers

Offline Momo

• New Egg
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2021, 07:49:02 PM »
No.

(It was already mentioned in Roy's reply, but just in case you missed it.)

John Henry

Didn't miss, went ahead and ordered entire new unit from Harpers, along with yet another rectifier.  Been down now close to a year.  Thanks for the reply, Larry

Offline Momo

• New Egg
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2021, 11:59:33 PM »
Well,  contrary to all my previous years experience the alternator was bad.  Guess if I hadn't been so narrow minded I might have fixed the bike earlier(been out of commission for a year). Curtis Harper managed to get the entire unit at a somewhat reasonable price( I was thinking I might have to shell out close to a grand but the new unit was waaaay cheaper-much to my delight).  New unit installed using high-tech business card shims and I'm back on the road. 

Another problem I've incurred is manufacturer's suggested oil weight( I will not start an oil thread :rolleyes:.  Page 45 of  the owner's manual says 5-40 but page 115 says 10-60. Never ran across such a wide discrepancy with UJMC. Another MG dilemma- Why are both ends of the driveshaft called transmission?  :huh:  Anyhow, thanks for all the posts.  It's good to be back on the road, did a short 50 mile test run and all is well-that is after I figure out which oil weight to use,  Larry

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2021, 05:18:42 AM »
10W/60 every time Momo.  They can run very hot.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Momo

• New Egg
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2021, 01:04:10 PM »
10W/60 every time Momo.  They can run very hot.

Thank you Muzz.  Regards, Larry

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here