Author Topic: If you ran Moto Guzzi, what changes would you make?  (Read 7754 times)

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
Re: If you ran Moto Guzzi, what changes would you make?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2021, 08:21:45 AM »
Oh boy...good question. I'll echo what some have said here. Keep in mind, this is my opinion only. Not looking to start arguments.

Create a wide spread and happy dealer network. Hell, one in each state would be good start.
Fire everyone in quality control and start over.

And to add my little flare..
- Teach my team to stand behind our product 110% or become unemployed.
- Get rid of anyone EVER affiliated with Piaggio. They obviously do not truly care about Guzzi.
- Re-train Moto Guzzi US employees and dealers by hiring the head of Chick-fil-A's customer relations department to teach what customer service is really all about. It shouldn't end when the warranty expires.
- Build a plant or DC in the USA to improve sales and parts availability in North America. People shouldn't have to wait 7 months for parts...
- Build an 1800cc liquid cooled bike, with an 8 gallon gas tank and modern technology once and for all to compete in the 21st century. One suited for true all day comfortable touring with zero fatigue afterwards. I used to 'think' the 1400's filled that bill until recently.

Ok, I'm done dreaming now.  These are low volume hand-built bikes. Therefor, we're going to receive low volume customer care. Do I sound bitter? :evil:

Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2021, 08:54:27 AM »
From Luap:
Ok, I'm done dreaming now.  These are low volume hand-built bikes. Therefor, we're going to receive low volume customer care. Do I sound bitter?
Well...I will say that you are well grounded in Guzzi world reality.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2021, 08:56:41 AM »
Fire everyone in quality control and start over. 🤔

Hard to fire somebody from a nonexistent position.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2021, 09:02:42 AM »
Create a wide spread and happy dealer network. 

Have a quality control expert regularly interview knowledgeable mechanics and routinely monitor forums like Wild Guzzi.   The mission being to kill recurring problems so they don’t persist for decades, rapidly develop reliable repairs, etc. 

Buy up all used Guzzis more than 5 years old and either destroy them, or re-sell them to now desperate cheapskates at a substantial premium. 

And here’s the one that will guarantee me a giant bonus.  Subject a random sample of known Guzzi customers to an exacting psychological examination.  Figure out what makes them tick and what they want to buy.

Agree with most of these. 

Why PIAGGIO has not properly supported all the current Guzzi dealers in the USA is beyond me...(???) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

- - and YES!!  They do need to take a few lessons in Quality Control / Warranty execution from both the Japanese, and more recently, the Koreans! :wink:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 09:04:17 AM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2021, 09:02:42 AM »

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2021, 09:14:16 AM »
  Develop a modern lightweight 500cc V-twin that's exciting to ride and own for not only new riders, but experienced older riders too.  The Kid

I think they already own Aprilia, so the RXV/SXV 550 basics are there.  Might not even come close to passing emissions.  Needs a taller cylinder and third ring on the piston.

650cc is the new 500cc.  Getting the weight down would be the challenge.

Regarding above comments on quality.  Yep, all of the above.

I have always been amazed that if factory reps follow the forums, they never chime in.  Probably don't want to deal with abuse.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2021, 09:26:08 AM »
DEALERS DEALERS DEALERS

Not just opening them but supporting them.  There is exactly ONE reason I have never bought a new Guzzi and it is lack of dealer access.  I would have a Milano or a V85 in my garage RIGHT NOW if there was a competent dealer within 200miles, or even if there were more than one dealer in my state. As it stands now, any trip to my dealer requires a truck and multi-hour round trip to drop off or pick up.

I figure why pay the new premium if I cant use the warranty or have easy access to parts & accessories.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2021, 10:52:02 AM »
I wouldn't want the job. Seriously.
Charlie

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2021, 11:00:13 AM »
Reading all the responses the reoccurring theme seems to be that someone at Guzzi in a position to ACT just needs LISTEN to all of us who love these damn machines. This forum, Dave Richardson's books, etc. etc. the "low hanging fruit" is all out there...read it, hear it, & DO something. 
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2021, 11:18:48 AM »
Someone should gather all these responses.

Print each one, and label each at the top with... If I ran Moto Guzzi...”.  Sign them “Wildguzzi Forum Members”

Mail each one in a separate envelope.

Mail one a day to Moto Guzzi headquarters asking for a response to each one.

Since we’ll have over 100 responses when it’s done, that  means for 100 straight days they will receive a letter a day! Try ignoring that!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 11:19:53 AM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2021, 11:38:29 AM »
Lot of good ideas here,  I suspect there are lots of reasons they haven't been implemented. This thread pops up every couple years, it's amazing how consistent the complaints and ideas have been over the last 20 years!

I wonder how many Guzzi get sold to the type of customer who uses WG or MGNOC, versus those that don't see any value in such?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline janguzzi

• Gosling
    • My YouTube Channel (Guzzi Content)
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2021, 11:51:27 AM »
Fire the management board - no Italian management  :grin:

Owners: Financial Investors
Design Dep.: Italian
Qualtity Dep.: German
R&D: Italian & German
Marketing: Italian, German & American
Sales: German & American
Canteen: Italian
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 11:58:30 AM by janguzzi »
Kind Regards
Jan, Schuby (near the Danish Border), Germany
www.janguzzi.de
-1992-2002: 1000S, 2nd Series
-2002-2004: V11 Le Mans "Grigio Titanium"
-2004-2011: V11 Le Mans "Rosso Corsa" & 2008-2011: 950S
-2018-2021: California Vintage
-2011: Griso 8V & 2023: V85 TT "Giallo Mojave"

Offline mobiker

• Hatchling
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2021, 11:52:46 AM »
I'd sell it to Harley Davidson for millions and buy it back for a dollar.

Mike

'88 BMW R100GS

Offline mobiker

• Hatchling
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2021, 11:56:24 AM »
The very first thing I would do, and it would cost no money or take any time or require any new expertise, is offer a "Classic" model V7 with tubeless wheels. It should sell an extra dozen (maybe two) bikes or so and every little bit helps  :wink:

Then I'd go to lunch.
Mike

'88 BMW R100GS

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2021, 02:08:38 PM »
as long as the importer is factory owned (no investment by the importer employees) there isn't a chance in the US. Presidents, VP's etc. come and go like fleas.
You would have to be blind, crazy, and stupid to buy the import rights without a 20-year contract from the factory.
As I see it the best chance for tiny manufacturers like Guzzi would be to go back to small independently owned dealers working out of their garage.
I really think the current trend of big multi-line dealers with many locations and ridiculous fees is killing the new bike sales as much as anything.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2021, 02:25:47 PM »
The very first thing I would do, and it would cost no money or take any time or require any new expertise, is offer a "Classic" model V7 with tubeless wheels. It should sell an extra dozen (maybe two) bikes or so and every little bit helps  :wink:

Then I'd go to lunch.
Like mine eh! its been tubeless since the first tire change
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 02:28:43 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline mobiker

• Hatchling
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2021, 03:29:55 PM »
Like mine eh! its been tubeless since the first tire change

:thumb:

Mike

'88 BMW R100GS

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2021, 03:40:23 PM »
1. A Marketing plan with real advertisements and presence.
2. Improve QA & QC across the board including pre-delivery inspection/setup.
3. Re-vamp and invest in the dealer network, set dealers up for success, including floorplans, and factory training for sales people and lead techs.
4. Bring back an updated CARC platform with a BB motor.
5. Fire the retard who is obsessed with Matte and black Paints on virtually everything.
6. Make the 100th Anniversary more than a weak fart in a strong breeze.
7. Have 100th anniversary special models, a re-launching of an 850 Lemans, V7 Sport, and 100th Anniversary editions, all to include promotional items, posters, clothing, etc.

In other words, re-invest in the brand.....
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2021, 03:50:19 PM »
Sounds like not much has changed in decades. about five years ago I took my 72 Eldorado to a local motorcycle shop that had an annual garage sale, old bike show, The owner started the shop out of his garage in the early 60's selling CZ, he was a refuge from Hungary who fled in the 50's. In any event he added more brands over the years and set up a full dealer shop in the mid 60's, one of the brands he sold was Moto Guzzi, he even has pictures of an Ambassador he set up for road racing.

He sold Guzzi up until the late 70's. I asked him why he didn't stick the Guzzi? He told me that warranty and parts support was terrible (Berliner), that he often had to wait up to six months to get parts and he even tried to deal direct with the factory but to no avail. He also said getting stock was very unreliable, he could have sold more bikes but couldn't get commitments from Berliner and delivery times were hit and miss. He liked the bikes, had fond memories of riding the V7 Sport he had as a demo and the LeMans. Regrettably he dropped Guzzi and concentrated on the other startup brand he was dealing in, HONDA. He sold the dealership a years ago having been in business for 49 years.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

elvisboy77

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2021, 03:57:16 PM »
I would change NOTHING.

jwinwi

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2021, 04:05:26 PM »
I'd sell it to Harley Davidson for millions and buy it back for a dollar.

:bow:

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2021, 04:21:13 PM »
If I ran Moto what?

That, is the first and foremost item that needs to be addressed. 

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2021, 04:52:32 PM »

Hard to fire somebody from a nonexistent position.
Ok let’s add the requirement that they at least draw a check😂😂

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2021, 07:22:49 PM »
Perspective from a newbie 68 yr old recent first time MG owner.  I have been been riding motorcycles for 36 years,  I have been aware of MG for 30 years,  I just bought a V 85 in July 2019, it is the 15th m/c I have purchased.  My parameters for a new bike were:  Adventure bike with 19" front wheel,  less than 1000 cc's, air cooled, shaft drive, cruise control.  Survey says: V 85.  7 K miles to date, totally satisfied so far.  I bought the bike because it was the only manufacturer that offered what I wanted.  So first point, MG is offering product that I view as desirable and in tune with one of the current "high demand segments" of the market place.

I know you guys all know this, but indulge me.  The company is celebrating 100 years of producing motorcycles, in the same location.  Pretty rarefied air. They must be doing something right. If Wikipedia can be believed, MG produces around 10,000 motorcycles/yr with 250-300 employees.  MG could almost be considered a cottage builder.  Assume that 3000 bikes come to America, divide by 50 states and one dealer per state, that is 60 bikes sold per year at best. Honda sold 20.9 million motorcycles in 2018. To apply a metric of comparison to Honda or any other large volume manufacturer seems a little unreasonable.

With the current and forecasted market for motorcycles, it appears that large displacement bikes are no longer in favor.  Can a case be made for a small niche player like MG to produce large displacement bikes with higher purchase price and insurance cost?  Recent sales figures seem to support that V 7's and V 85's are what the buying public wants.  What place will electric bikes hold in the not too distant future, and the pressure that will place on IC engines in the  market?  It seems to me, that the requirement to meet Euro 5 emissions standards coupled with the aforementioned doesn't make a strong business case for dealers selling a 3-4 of the 1400 cc bikes per year.

I am sure if I was a long time Guzzi owner like most of you on this forum who have struggled in years past with poor build quality, unacceptable lack of parts,
spotty dealer network which in turn provides less than acceptable warranty repair work, I would have some negative comments to make.  Hopefully, Piaggio ownership and investment will provide enough of a safety net that MG can continue to survive in a very difficult and challenging market place and continue to improve.   I think the suggestion of Piaggio management paying attention to the wealth of knowledge from the faithful on this forum would be a no brainer.  It would be like having a second R&D group and beta testers for free.  Win win.  For my part, I am very satisfied so far with the V 85, my dealer,  Cadre Cycle, and really enjoy this forum. Like I said at the beginning, just a different viewing angle from a newbie.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2021, 08:09:05 PM »
Please mate..
Stop making sense, you’ve just woken me up from a lovely dream... :sad:

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2021, 10:06:50 PM »
Sorry Huzo.  Forgot about the time difference.  My bad.  Now go back to sleep.  This will all be here tomorrow.

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2021, 10:18:09 PM »
continue the Carc bikes with refinements.

:whip2:
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2021, 10:28:12 PM »
  The very first thing I would do, and it would cost no money or take any time or require any new expertise, is offer a "Classic" model V7 with tubeless wheels. It should sell an extra dozen (maybe two) bikes or so and every little bit helps 

Yes , that would have me wanting to trade up to a new model !    I like shinny and have a strong dislike for tubes .
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 10:29:35 PM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2021, 12:23:04 AM »
Sorry Huzo.  Forgot about the time difference.  My bad.  Now go back to sleep.  This will all be here tomorrow.
It was lunchtime when I read that mate..
No worries. I’m out in the shed tearing more stuff off the V85... :rolleyes:

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2021, 01:11:24 AM »
Make warranties and after sales service a priority. If you get sold a lemon. but the company/dealer does everything they can to sort it, you probably end up with a positive feeling.

The other thing, and this is not just Moto Guzzi, is to have the dealer understand their product. When I purchased my last bike I went to the Guzzi dealer and the salesman had little interest in the product, and little interest in selling me a bike. If you are going to have a demo make sure the tyres are inflated, it gives little confidence about the workshop.  I went to a different brand, had a great experience and happily paid the cash. I had two minor warranty claims but the dealer did everything in their power to sort these out.   

Steve

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2021, 02:23:15 AM »
I am very pleased with my V7 Special in spite of the fact it caught fire as the result of a bad alternator and the combustable substance wrapped around the Cat.
Piaggio came to the party and shipped me a replacement alternator.
I see a lot of comments calling for changes that would completely change the character.
Comments like fire all the Italian management - who would you hire on they place , a German do BMW listen to us either, I don't think so
Sell it to Harley - they aren't exactly thriving at the moment
The CARC big blocks sat on the dealers floor for months, nobody wanted them.
Don't get me wrong, I wish they would listen to feedback, perhaps they do and just ignore it like BMW do.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 02:33:14 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here