Author Topic: I hate to ask a battery question...  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: I hate to ask a battery question...
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2021, 01:46:58 AM »
My take on that is the tender doesn't know if its a 12 Volt or a 6 Volt battery so errs on the safe side, I have an old wall wort off a printer for that scenario It puts out 1 Amp at 14 Volts with nothing more than a transformer and rectifier.

And that's the kicker Roy.

When I sold batteries the rep told me that by the time a calcium technology battery drops to 12 volts a smart charger will not recognise it as a battery, and just will not charge it.  I have a "dumb charger", which is like yours, a transformer and a rectifier.  I use this to get the battery up to about 12.5 volts, at which stage my smart charger will take over and pump in up to 6 amps if need be, and drop back to float when charged.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online kfz

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2021, 02:28:23 AM »
Im running my second odyssey after the first one lasted 9 years on the LeMans.  Im also running a MOTOBATT AGM (on 2 other bikes, one non Guzzi) which seems even more powerful.  Been one about 3 years now.

I always use a trickle charger if i leave them over a week. just to simply look after them.  Expensive do.

Kev

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2021, 04:10:09 PM »
It's not looking like I can walk into Autozone and get one. No surprise, not an automotive size. Before I had the Odyssey 545 and I thought it worked fine. Odyssey recommends the 925. Above it was suggested to go with the 680. Before I pull the trigger and order what say people, split the difference and get the 680LMJ? This is for my Call Spec not the Ambo.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline mobiker

• Hatchling
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2021, 08:06:25 PM »
I've never had a battery last longer than 4 years in my old airhead. It didn't matter if it was high dollar German made OEM or an el cheapo no name  made in Taiwan. Four years and done. Then, 8 years ago I bought an Odyssey. Its still going strong. I don't have power in my garage, so no tender. I do remove it each winter (its easy so if I want to ride in January its 10 minutes to put it back in). Its a 925. I will buy another when it dies. Best motorcycle battery I've ever had.

Lots of airhead GS riders over on Adventurerider use the 680 with good success. I bought the bigger and heavier 925 because I have never, not once in my life, been in a situation where I wished I had less  battery capacity. I have, however, been in situations where I wished I had more  :wink:
Mike

'88 BMW R100GS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2021, 08:06:25 PM »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here