Author Topic: Electric moped.. Really kinda cool.  (Read 579 times)

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
Electric moped.. Really kinda cool.
« on: April 25, 2021, 10:15:13 AM »
So we are at a hotel on a vacation to the Outer Banks of NC a few weeks ago, and I happen to see two mopeds in the parking lot. Really in most everyway they were just like the old school mopeds from back in the 70's when you used to see them all over.. except for the fuel tank being a battery, and no little 2 stroke gas motor!  I thought then what a great idea that is!  Really how many people rode a moped over 20-30 miles a day anyways.. and these had much better tires, and real disc brakes that Im guessing are 10-20 times better then the old cable drum of the vintage stuff!!  So anyways.. all the talk about E bikes taking over, and our beloved IC powered motorcycles going away...I see bikes like this, and the smaller electric scooters out there, and think that you know.. It might not be for every bike, or biker.. but I like the use of battery powered motors, and I see them as a great option for some.
Paul B

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Electric moped.. Really kinda cool.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 06:26:06 PM »
Agreed. Electrics are already here, and they are awesome.  I'm as much of a ICE gearhead as anyone, but we really need to rethink fossil fuels..their time is over.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 06:18:48 AM »
Over might be a strong word but..
I just bought a Tesla a few weeks ago, and regardless of fossil fuel arguments, it's just a better way of doing cars.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 06:32:00 AM »
I still cannot help but feel that the cleanup and disposal of the battery at the end of its life cycle really closes the pollution gap on ICE's. Then there is the pollution created when making electricity to charge the battery.

Is battery/electric "cleaner".....maybe. But like statics you can manipulate the outcome to favor any way you want.

Personally I think battery tech to power vehicles is a waste. There are better cleaner, more abundant, readily avalaible fuel sources out there like hydrogen.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 06:32:00 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 07:05:01 AM »
 Making Hydrogen is not easy and requires a good bit of electricity . It might be part of the answer , but it isn't the magic bullet .

Dusty

Offline Kremmen

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 08:02:43 AM »
I commute on Guzzis so my car can sit in the drive most of the week; I have 6.4KW of solar on the roof; for anyone with even half of either factor an EV is a whole lot less polluting but there are studies out there showing it's still true even if much of the charging power comes from fossil fuel.

There are some amazing EVs. Hope I get to ride a red 2WD, 2WS superconducting twin-ceramic-rotor BMW some day.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here