Author Topic: Radical Guzzi  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Radical Guzzi
« on: April 25, 2021, 02:51:39 PM »
20 minutes long.  If posted earlier.  I can take it down but still worth a look. :thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EndX4LqMWC8

More on the custom for the Colorado owner.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slhYT1pKL4s
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 02:54:03 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline motogoro

• Hatchling
Re: Radical Guzzi
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 06:55:55 PM »
+1 :thumb:
Steve M. in SE WI
WMGR 193
MGNOC L-553

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 09:03:46 PM »
Those are two of the best Moto Guzzi videos, ever. What an amazing builder and owner. Beautiful. Thank you for the post.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 09:54:06 PM »
"I'm just a mechanic."   :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 09:54:06 PM »

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 10:04:27 PM »
This guys grasp of engines leaves a little to be desired..."what's the difference between a Ducati 996/998 and the Guzzi 1200 8 valve engine, nothing, they are both OHC 2 cams". NO there're not. Just for starters, the Ducati is an Twin OHC desmo water cooled engine. The Guzzi is a High Cam or if you like, cam in head engine with single cam per head and valve springs. They are chalk and cheese.

Ciao   
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 10:51:27 PM »
I’ve read posts that poopoo the idea of a ‘performance’ Moto Guzzi big twin for decades. How the Guzzi motor can’t be made to do this or it can’t be made to do that. An actual ‘mechanic’ looks at the design and asked why not. Not surprisingly, he proved all the naysayers completely wrong.  Carlo Guzzi would be so proud of him and so happy for his insight and can do attitude.

Would Piaggio allow a 1700cc to1800cc ‘performance’ Guzzi twin? Not likely, especially if they ever read this forum.

Chalk v cheese? No, not at all. Certainly not when viewed by someone who understands what’s needed to make power and who proved it can be done. He stuck with the basics: intake, exhaust, fueling, cams and displacement.

‘Could’ Piaggio simply make his custom parts into an oem design? Not likely due to new motorcycle manufacturer regulations. ‘Could’ Piaggio make a big block (1800) Guzzi twin that could try to rival his power? Yes.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 01:39:49 PM by TN Mark »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 12:49:12 AM »
I like chalky cheese vs. cheese chalk.   :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 02:13:05 AM »
I’ve read posts that poopoo the idea of a ‘performance’ Moto Guzzi big twin for decades. How the Guzzi motor can’t be made to do this or it can’t be made to do that. An actual ‘mechanic’ looks at the design and asked why not. Not surprisingly, he proved all the naysayers completely wrong. Arlo Guzzi would be so proud of him and so happy for his insight and can do attitude.

Would Piaggio allow a 1700cc to1800cc ‘performance’ Guzzi twin? Not likely, especially if they ever read this forum.

Chalk v cheese? No, not at all. Certainly not when viewed by someone who understands what’s needed to make power and who proved it can be done. He stuck with the basics: intake, exhaust, fueling, cams and displacement.

‘Could’ Piaggio simply make his custom parts into an oem design? Not likely due to new motorcycle manufacturer regulations. ‘Could’ Piaggio make a big block (1800) Guzzi twin that could try to rival his power? Yes.

OK fine, can you list some of this guys measurable, definable, objectively defined achievements with regards to his engineering and performance bike building record? WSB placings? BOTT competition results? Even Club road racing championship results? Something other than some typically European fringe/weirdo custom bike straight line/partying series. You see I'm a bit old school and if you're going to advertise your work and the emphasis is on performance then you need some objective results to asses.     

Ciao

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 03:06:53 AM »
The 2nd vid of the Colorado custom is proof for me for his custom bike skills.  :thumb:

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 03:40:57 AM »
The 2nd vid of the Colorado custom is proof for me for his custom bike skills.  :thumb:

Sigh, so nothing then, apart from a paying customers opinion. 

Ciao

Offline Kane

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 10:37:29 AM »
I watched the vid late last night and I was a little dozy, but it looks like he’s putting a Griso motor into a Tonti frame......maybe that’s not a title but he’s clever enough to do that.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 10:38:48 AM by Kane »
2001 V11 Sport
1978 850-T3
2009 Ducati 1100 Hypermotard

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 11:37:23 AM »
NOSFERATU!!!   :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shocked: :shocked: :huh: :huh: :thumb: :wink:

best rolling dice
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 12:20:05 PM »
In the end...that is one, beautiful, custom Moto Guzzi...Allen should be very happy with the result! :thumb: :bow: :boozing: :cool: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 01:32:04 PM »
OK fine, can you list some of this guys measurable, definable, objectively defined achievements with regards to his engineering and performance bike building record? WSB placings? BOTT competition results? Even Club road racing championship results? Something other than some typically European fringe/weirdo custom bike straight line/partying series. You see I'm a bit old school and if you're going to advertise your work and the emphasis is on performance then you need some objective results to asses.     

Ciao

The builders credentials aren’t in question or review. They’ve actually done what the naysayers claim can’t be done. Though the credentials of the naysayers are certainly open to question and review.

A puzzling aspect is why the naysayers who claim to be Moto Guzzi proponents aren’t celebrating the accomplishments of Radical Guzzi. What makes a Guzzi fan belittle and say ‘why’ instead of celebrating the accomplishments of Radical Guzzi who looked at the Guzzi motor and asked why not.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 01:37:44 PM by TN Mark »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 04:15:29 PM »
Ok, I’ll try to tread a fine line here.
There are guys who do incredible work with bending and forming metal to do what they want. This guy is the same type of bloke as Rodsmith, a master craftsman...Without doubt.
But the longer I look at some of these offerings, the more I see what Pete’s point was way back, regarding the tiresome see through abbreviated bobber esque styling that gets churned out.
This guy, I freely admit would wipe the floor with me in quality of workmanship, but please do not tell me that the styling is on point.
Some of the cues look like they were conceived on scrapyard challenge. The horrible Monty Python exhaust pipe lines, look like they were dreamed up in someone’s back shed...Just pox.
These masters of fabrication, try to introduce aggressive, slash cut lines into a bike that should be made of curves and suggestive of a familiar form to which we are attracted.
Why does the MGS 01, MV Agusta F4, BMW R1100S and such, look so inherently beautiful ?
Please don’t reply by saying..”See if you can do better...” I’ll tell you now that I cannot, but that does not preclude me from pointing out the elephant in the room.
I can’t fly a Concorde either, but I can identify accurately when one crashes..

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 03:51:53 AM »
Totally agree with you and Pete Huzo....thing is that there is a small market for these guys to fill which is how they survive.And then a bigger one of wannabes who dont often come up to their standards. I get the whole point of mild customization ..we both do it ! Radical ( ha ha) changes like that seem more about being different than anything else really and that's fine enough too ..just not what I'm into either and especially as they are ten a penny now.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 05:08:42 AM »
Make that 3 (4 if you include Dr Roper) that agree

Huzo and Pete have expressed exactly what I think of these creations, but not all, there was a guy who did an 1100 sport that I thought looked great. But most of these cafe-seque conversions leave me cold, although I doubt anybody could question the skill. Besides stuffing what looks like a Griso into a Tonti frame, which a lot of the Germans seem to do, I think it's connected to their construction and use regs.

The Sporti rework I liked

I'm no stranger to making "mild" mods to iconic designs myself, but I do try to retain the original concept and tinker around the edges. Some might like them a little and some positively hate what I've done. Don't really care, I made them the way I wanted them to look

At the end of it everybody is different and beauty in the eye of the beholder, so It's doubtful we'd ever get a consensus let alone agreement. If the builder and owner are happy then it was worth doing, but even if I had the money (and the missus would let me), that would not be on my list.

I do like the Keihan FCR carbs and the Deep Sump

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2021, 08:43:18 AM »
I do like the Keihan FCR carbs and the Deep Sump

I know what the FCR39 carb did to wake up my DR650, I can only imagine what a big pair of them would do to a breathed on guzzi  :thumb:

In the first video when he talks about the emotion side of guzzis, that's what does it for me; good sound reliable engineering is needed for a good dose of wind therapy, but without the emotion side, definitely not the same rich experience.

The second video captures that in spades when Al Engl sp? first sees his bike, he's almost in tears, and I'm close to joining in the waterworks just watching his reaction, lol.

That builder is on to something , hopefully the factory is paying attention and taps into a market that is thirsty and obviously out there.

:popcorn:
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2021, 11:14:19 PM »
Aesthetics are up to the builder and the buyer. Others either like it or they don't. As long as the buyer gets 'the look' they're after, that's great. What impresses me more is what Radical Guzzi did to make the 1700cc big bore motor. Intake, cams, cranks, pistons, head work, exhaust etc etc etc. Their engine work, IMHO, is beyond impressive. Sadly, likely not at all practical. But impressive none the less. 

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 03:02:26 AM »
At 9:55 he says that “7 kg less, is 10 hp more..”
At 1.5 hp/kg, it must weigh about 75 kg...!

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here