Author Topic: Any Grillers out there? Gas, Charcoal, or Wood Pellet?  (Read 2081 times)

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Any Grillers out there? Gas, Charcoal, or Wood Pellet?
« on: May 30, 2021, 02:03:25 PM »
Looking to buy a new grill. A lot to consider...

Gas: convenient, wide range of prices, fast start up, doesn’t impart much flavor into food

Wood Pellet: semi-convenient,  medium to expensive prices, fast start up, imparts some flavor into food

Charcoal: more work than others, cheap to expensive pricing, slow start up, imparts flavor into food

Any grillers have thoughts to give?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 02:03:51 PM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Any Grillers out there? Gas, Charcoal, or Wood Pellet?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 02:21:15 PM »
We use a ceramic charcoal grill. It works great and adds great flavor.  Lump charcoal is pretty expensive though, about $4 a meal. It is also kind of messy and more work than gas. I wouldn’t switch though.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 02:30:19 PM »
I have been using a Char-Grill charcoal grill/smoker for years now that a paid a $110 for at Wally World. Yep, a bit of a hassle but what gas grill I have had the opportunity to use did not impress me and and can't wrap my head around spending hundreds or thousands for grilling. For years I had a genuine good quality hibachi and loved that thing for grilling but have never found another high quality one.
GuzziJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 05:39:07 PM »
Gas Griller with chip box to add smoke.  Also have used it as a smoker with indirect heat.  The smoke box adds flavor and the grill is seasoned and also adds flavor.

I also have an electric smoker.   The downside is that I can't cold smoke, the smoke is dependent upon the electrical burner. 

I will say I think those Green Eggs are fantastic, at least the few times I've tried food prepared on them.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 05:39:07 PM »

Offline Kane

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 05:52:52 PM »
I’m a big fan of the simple Weber charcoal kettle grill. I think it’s one of the great products of the 20th century!
It’s not for everyone. It takes time and work, and wood and charcoal are not super cheap, but the way it cooks, the versatility, the flavors that can be achieved with various woods and techniques are worth it. I enjoy the ritual and time involved in using it, it makes cooking a meal a bit of an event. The time it takes for the wood to be ready while the food marinates is perfect for a smoke, drink, and conversation while you enjoy the pleasure of sitting outside and getting smokey. I have never regretted going with a Weber.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 05:53:58 PM by Kane »
2001 V11 Sport
1978 850-T3
2009 Ducati 1100 Hypermotard

Online slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 06:00:30 PM »
Lifetime charcoal guy here. Cooking on a gas grill seems like cooking your steak over the blue flame of your stove.I never got the concept. Get real , use fire like a man.

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 06:05:44 PM »
My 17th year using a Webber Kettle and I very much recommend them. Most of my cooking is indirect grilling,plus some direct of steaks and a few smaller things. Whole ducks, lamb legs, pork roasts...etc. For quick stuff I use good quality lumpwood charcoal. For longer lower slower things, good quality charcoal briquettes.

I just chill out, no rush, quality counts.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 06:32:11 PM »
I have gas on the left side, charcoal on the right. I grill year round, even in the snow. I use gas 90% of them time. Less mess. No ashes. Charcoal  absolutely sucks if the wind is over 10mph, which is most of the time here.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 07:05:06 PM »
Looking to buy a new grill. A lot to consider...

Gas: convenient, wide range of prices, fast start up, doesn’t impart much flavor into food

Wood Pellet: semi-convenient,  medium to expensive prices, fast start up, imparts some flavor into food

Charcoal: more work than others, cheap to expensive pricing, slow start up, imparts flavor into food

Any grillers have thoughts to give?

Gas, Charcoal, and wood.  Haven't got into pellets.

Gas Grill with wood side smoker. 

Charcoal Grill

Wood coals while camping.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online hauto

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 07:15:32 PM »
When I need to grill some burgers fast ,it's propane. When I'm looking for flavor, it's charcoal.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 08:14:13 PM »
Gas Griller with chip box to add smoke.  Also have used it as a smoker with indirect heat.  The smoke box adds flavor and the grill is seasoned and also adds flavor.

I also have an electric smoker.   The downside is that I can't cold smoke, the smoke is dependent upon the electrical burner. 

I will say I think those Green Eggs are fantastic, at least the few times I've tried food prepared on them.

btw- I grill at least 5 nights a week.  Smoke maybe 3 or 4 times a month. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 08:23:52 PM »
I used a Weber for years, then I got a Char Giller Kamado.  It is a Big Green Egg knockoff in a way- it is sealed and insulated but it is not ceramic. 
That Kamado is the best darn grill I have ever used.  My only complaint is that it is smaller than I would like at times- but it is usually fine.  What really improves it is that I made a triangle to fit in some slots very close to the fire bed.  I either put a diffuser on it if I want to smoke, or it fits a hibachi grill if I want to sear something quickly.  They recommend lump, but I use briquets, lump, wood or a mix of any of them depending on what I am cooking.  It works with anything flammable, but if you use styrofoam, I cannot guarantee an edible product.
The Kamado holds a temperature very well, it is relatively cheap (Guzzi content) and it is well made.
That's my 0.02 cents. 
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 08:39:18 PM »
For me, it boils down to how much time I have to do it. 

Nothing like turning on the gas and cooking as quickly as being in the kitchen.  But it isn't a "real" fire.  Since I heat with wood, I don't buy the cheap "charcoal" briquettes and can't justify the $$$ of store-bought real wood charcoal or pellets.  I burn real wood and make my own real charcoal that accrues for special occasions.   A BGE may do more easier, but a cheap little Weber grill is all you really need.   It just isn't as convenient as a flip-the-switch gas grill, which is great when the power is out and you and/or you wife are already irritated. Our old hammered gas grill is kept for such reasons.  If you don't know why you want, I would start with a cheap Weber (Guzzi content....)

One of the guys brought some fancy & very cool grilling thing to the shop one afternoon that worked great.  Sort of like a hot rod charcoal lighter, but it was for cooking.  I'll see if I can find it online and add the info.

Regardless, for the past several years, I'm most likely to cook outdoors on the ground paella-style (whether in a paella pan or convenient grate rested upon a couple of cinder blocks) over an easily regulated fire of twigs stick and small limbwood with my own charcoal added for longer consistent heat if needed.   Nice to relax and have all that smoky, crunchy flavor at the end from the all of the free twigs and sticks from the yard & woodpile (even more Guzzi content....)

1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2021, 10:15:53 PM »
My pellet grill is simply fantastic
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

bobrebos

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2021, 11:23:27 PM »
Gas grill at home where it seems like im always in a hurry.  Weber charcoal grill at Camp Yeti, where life slows down and I really enjoy cooking on charcoal up there.  Woo Hoo, gotta go back soon and install new water heater. 

https://www.facebook.com/campyeti

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 03:15:44 AM by bobrebos »

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2021, 12:57:45 AM »
Willow,

I think you need to decide what you plan to do with it and then what type.

Do you need just a simple grill or do you need one with shelves inside to cook various things at different heat? Do you need one that is ready to go when you start it, or do you have time to wait? Real smoking as well as grilling, or just grilling? Do you want a flip up hinged lid or just lift the cover off.

Ease of cleanup is another thing. I have never used a gas or electric to know how they clean up, but a charcoal grill will need the ashes removed in some way.

I'm a simple guy when it comes to grilling. Mainly steaks, burgers and chicken pieces. Adventure is when I foil wrap some potatoes and put them on the coals. I have a classic Weber kettle style. Kingsford charcoal and a chimney charcoal starter. Coals ready in about 15-20 minutes depending on how much you need.

Another thing to look at is if you want side shelves to put stuff on. There used to be or still is sides for the kettle. Or just a cheap table or sawhorse or the like next to the grill also works fine.

Good luck and let us know what you get.  :gotpics:

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2021, 06:38:11 AM »
Check out the Moberg smoker. The 1,000 gal one starts at $15,500 and you might have to wait 2 years.

In my opinon there is very good bbq and then there is crap a hyena couldn't chew. One SIL has the BGE and made some super good pizzas, Another SIL has a cheap grill and always puts out great BBG.

I work outside most of the day and I aint standing over a hot grill after being in the heat all day.

Y'all welcome to stop in here for a visit on your way to Dripping Springs, TX to get your Moberg Smoker,
TX

Offline Milosh

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2021, 07:08:39 AM »
I have a Weber Performer. You use a little Coleman propane tank to light the charcoal. Takes 10 minutes and works perfectly every time.
___________________ ___________________ __
“An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.” – G.K. Chesterton

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2021, 07:40:38 AM »
I have a charcoal smoker, a propane grill, and a Treager pellet smoker. I haven't used the first two since I got the Treager.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2021, 07:51:18 AM »
I've had good luck on a pellet smoker, but like all smokers, you have to practice and dial it in. I think the 'grill' function on my Traeger is a joke.  Perhaps pellet grills are improving, but with the baffle and no direct heat, I dont see how they would make a good hot grill.  The pellets are expensive compared to charcoal, wood, or propane.... And you sure burn a bunch when you crank it up to grill.

For grilling, I am a Weber kettle guy thru and thru... But the ease and convenience of a gas grill is hard to beat, esp if you are cooking for 1-4ppl on a weeknight.
I am currently doing almost all of my grilling over wood coals in my firepit in the back yard, which I have setup for direct-heat grilling, spitroasting, and a tripod for string roasting.

As of now I have the Traeger, a Weber kettle, a big propane griddle, and the fire pit. I would add a 2/3 burner gas grill in a minute, but I am waiting on a deal or a cast-off I can rehab...  Dont want to spend the money on a fancy one as I already can do anything I want/need on my current array.  Sure would be nice to fire the knob, wait 10 minutes, and step out on the deck to grill 2 pieces of salmon or two burgers tho...

Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline sickora

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2021, 08:02:51 AM »
Like a lot of others have said,  it's best to think of what you'll be grilling, or intersted in griling before you buy.   I'm a charcoal and gas guy,  Weber Kettle for charcoal and Weber Summit for gas.  Both are quality products, though the gas grill is on the expensive side.  With the kettle, you can smoke, grill or barbeque.  I use the gas for grilling only, but with kids, it gets a lot more use. (Kids have no patience for the charcoal).   

I had never smoked or bbq'd before I got the kettle grill, which was 13-15 years ago.  I love it now though.  I'm pretty sure I like making ribs more than I like eating them. 

Honestly, though, most of what everyone has mentioned here is quality.  I've heard really good things about Traeger, and the ability to control your temp exactly seems nice.  The Kamado style grills, the Big Green Egg or the char-grill Akorn are good products also.   A Kamado style is probably next for me.   

My final word is that whatever you get, make sure you get something with a good reputation. For me, that's Weber for gas and Charcoal. 

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2021, 08:06:24 AM »
We got a BGE 18 years ago. Cooks just like it did on day 1. I've had no need to consider another grill, smoker or wood fired oven.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2021, 08:58:28 AM »
This is the fancy grill I mentioned- the Orion Cooker.  A friend brought it to the shop and we cooked on it 1-2 times.  It worked pretty well.  https://www.theorioncooker.com/products/the-orion-convection-cooker?currency=USD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=Shopping_Orion+Cooker+Unbranded&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=&utm_content=3161293xEAIaIQobChMIgo2g3Yf08AIVGIrICh0QkwDfEAQYASABEgLGCPD_BwE

very cool, but I still haven't justified spending that much $$ on one yet...   
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2021, 11:15:56 AM »
This has been a good thread and very timely. I have a small portable Weber gas grill. It is a good grill but for slow cooking, not. My wife and I went to  friends' house this past weekend for a celebration. The night before we had dinner at their house where they seved smoked ribs. They were fantastic and my wife said during dinner that we needed to get a smoker. So  before i went on line this morning to look at smokers I checked out WG before I did anything else. So the Google spies must have been listening in and up pops this thread. Very informatve and a big help in my decision on what to get. I am a cheap SOB so I think I will start with some type of Weber. Thanks guys.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2021, 11:52:13 AM »
Well if you're truly cheap, you can build a clay pot smoker a la Alton Brown.

https://www.expressnews.com/food/chucks-food-shack/amp/How-to-DIY-hack-your-own-smoker-with-flower-pots-16009315.php

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2021, 11:56:05 AM »
One thing I really dislike about charcoal, besides the blowing ashes, is I find it wasteful..
With gas, I preheat, cook, then turn the gas off.
With charcoal, I make a bed, grill my meat, and then I still have enough coals to cook
maybe 5 more meals. My grill doesn't seal well enough to smother out. That's a huge amount of
wasted fuel to meat ratio.
I've taken to only using charcoal on "special" occasions/holidays.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2021, 11:58:52 AM »
I've had a gas charbroil and I took it to the dumps.

I use a Weber Kettle with charcoal for little jobs and a Kamado Big Joe for big jobs like a 24 lb turkey, 2 big chicken or 3 pheasant on a rotisserie both charcoal.  I've learned to shut off the air after I'm done cooking to smother & save part of the charcoal.

Recently I've started using wood in a large pizza oven.  One of the things I learned is they put a weeks worth of meat vegetables in the oven after the pizza is done because the oven stays hot enough for at least 12 hours.  It's an Italian thing and I'm the man with the rotating peel          :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 02:46:50 PM by not-fishing »
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2021, 12:26:12 PM »
Several ways to combat this. Use less charcoal.  Partition off the charcoal box so that you only use the charcoal you need or get a smaller grill for smaller cooks that holds less charcoal. My mini BGE was big enough to grill for 3 people and took about of amount of charcoal about as big as a softball to do it. It like the Lodge is great for the shake (smaller bits of charcoal) in the bottom of the charcoal bag. The bigger pieces go in the BGE the shake is good for the others.

The BGE is nice just shut the lid close the dampers and out she goes.

What he said^^   :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2021, 01:26:13 PM »
One thing I really dislike about charcoal, besides the blowing ashes, is I find it wasteful..
With gas, I preheat, cook, then turn the gas off.
With charcoal, I make a bed, grill my meat, and then I still have enough coals to cook
maybe 5 more meals. My grill doesn't seal well enough to smother out. That's a huge amount of
wasted fuel to meat ratio.
I've taken to only using charcoal on "special" occasions/holidays.

-AJ

These help!

Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2021, 01:28:51 PM »
Those look nice, but you could still grill several rounds with what you've got there.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here