Author Topic: Any Grillers out there? Gas, Charcoal, or Wood Pellet?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
Re: Any Grillers out there? Gas, Charcoal, or Wood Pellet?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2021, 01:38:28 PM »
oh man almost forgot about this one...

GREAT for charcoal grilling for two or a few. No cover, so not great for indirect, but I build a hot fire on one side for grilling steaks or fish!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2021, 01:52:53 PM »
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 02:58:26 PM by AJ Huff »
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2021, 02:17:11 PM »
Gas mostly, and learn the hard way that the extra money for a Weber is worth it.
I have a SS box that sits over the burner that I can load up with wood chips to get a smoky flavor.

5 or 6 years ago I added a  wood pellet smoker grill (Rec Tec) absolutely love. Rarely use charcoal.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 07:05:10 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline sickora

• New Egg
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2021, 02:56:29 PM »
These help!

Seconded. These are great when you want to indirect grill,  smoke for a long time, or just use less charcoal. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2021, 02:56:29 PM »

Offline LaMojo

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2021, 05:20:31 PM »
I used charcoal for years until I rescued an old Charmglow, NG fired double grill.  Bought new SS burners and ceramic coated racks for the lava rocks and meat. Made a gas manifold to plug in a fish fryer and a crawfish boiler. That was 15 years ago. Of course, LPG would work just as well. I couldn’t go back to charcoal.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 05:26:08 PM by LaMojo »

Offline dte8dom

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2021, 05:48:52 PM »
Be careful with the charcoal grill. Once you figure it out it is impossible to go back to gas. Years ago I bought a really nice gas grill but it never was really satisfied. 6 years now I've been cooking on a BGE and now that expensive gas grill is a storage unit for the grilling accessories. You will get so used to that flavor that at restaurants you will only order food that you don't normally grill at home.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2021, 06:36:07 PM »
Be careful with the charcoal grill. Once you figure it out it is impossible to go back to gas. Years ago I bought a really nice gas grill but it never was really satisfied. 6 years now I've been cooking on a BGE and now that expensive gas grill is a storage unit for the grilling accessories. You will get so used to that flavor that at restaurants you will only order food that you don't normally grill at home.

I've never liked a gas grill, It's just not right. Once you go egg, there's no turning back.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2021, 07:39:40 PM »
After the smoked ribs two  nights ago and this thread I  bought a Weber today. I've had ribs going for awhile now. Regulating temp has been my biggest challenge. So ribs, grilled corn, cole slaw and potato salad tonight. We will see how it goes with the ribs but my wife makes a killer potato salad so not all is lost. I gotta go in and do the slaw and I don't do so bad with it. Far better than the slaw at the wedding reception that kept me up half the night with acid reflux. Contrary to popular belief it wasn't all the beer I drank.   :violent1:
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Kane

• New Egg
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2021, 07:41:39 PM »
I love my weber, but am now intrigued by the GBE. As far as wasting fuel, kill the fire and reuse what’s left of the wood or charcoal until it’s ash. You can stretch the fuel out pretty good if you’re conservative and reuse the burnt fuel.

2001 V11 Sport
1978 850-T3
2009 Ducati 1100 Hypermotard

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2021, 09:31:43 PM »
One thing I really dislike about charcoal, besides the blowing ashes, is I find it wasteful..
With gas, I preheat, cook, then turn the gas off.
With charcoal, I make a bed, grill my meat, and then I still have enough coals to cook
maybe 5 more meals. My grill doesn't seal well enough to smother out. That's a huge amount of
wasted fuel to meat ratio.
I've taken to only using charcoal on "special" occasions/holidays.

-AJ
My Kamado seals enough that it shuts the fire down and saves the charcoal.  I'm not saying 'zero waste', but it saves quite a bit.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2021, 09:44:20 PM »
My Kamado seals enough that it shuts the fire down and saves the charcoal.  I'm not saying 'zero waste', but it saves quite a bit.

Yes, I know. My grill does not, as I said.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2021, 10:34:47 PM »
Yes, I know. My grill does not, as I said.

-AJ
Honestly, it is mostly about about technique on what you have.  I had a conversation with a friend from Brazil- growing up, all they had was a pit and used spits to hold and turn meat.  They did fine.  My dad built a bit ol bbq grill out of bricks.  We did fine.  In college, I had a Weber.  Fine.  As long as you learn how to use your grill, you can make some darn good food. 
I'll admit- nowadays, my bias is toward the BGE, Kamado, Something Joe designs, because I am now used to that and I like the way I can regulate temperature.  I can crank the temperature to broiling or cook a piece of meat at 200-220 all afternoon with very little intervention (ok, I'm lazy as well).  But that is appealing for my style of cooking. 
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2020 R1250RS

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2021, 11:11:26 PM »
My Weber in action. Compared to previous posts, not very exciting. But some fries and BBQ sauce, it was great! I do try to use just enough coals to get what I'm making done. Though, when done, you could still slow cook a few hot dogs with what is left.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2021, 08:46:56 AM »
My wife scored us a Charbroil Kamander last season for $50, only thing wrong with it was a bent side shelf (fixed now). Before that, I used a picnic style grill and have used lump charcoal since doing regular grilling. Just recently I started putting about 20 percent briquets to the lump coal on the bottom to keep things more steady. Speaking of, I see other Kamander users here, has your ceramic coating on the grill come off? Mine started peeling which is fine since I've never had one like that. Apparently because I used a wire brush to clean it, but also wondering since I've had the grill go past 1000 degrees with the lid closed... (again, was using an open grill for the last 15 years)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 08:49:12 AM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline TalbotMatra

• Hatchling
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2021, 01:29:28 PM »
All of my friends now have a gas barbecue and no one misses charcoal. With gas, you get an exact result and there is no charcoal mess and dust in the food. Gas rules! :evil:

Ciao
Lars
Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber,

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2021, 02:16:00 PM »
All of my friends now have a gas barbecue and no one misses charcoal. With gas, you get an exact result and there is no charcoal mess and dust in the food. Gas rules! :evil:

Ciao
Lars

I'll have to start checking my angus beef for charcoal dust. Funny I never noticed that  :grin:  By the way, can I have a little x-tra propane flavor with that t-bone?   :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2021, 03:15:38 PM »
I'll have to start checking my angus beef for charcoal dust. Funny I never noticed that  :grin:  By the way, can I have a little x-tra propane flavor with that t-bone?   :thumb:

Every apple knocker knows you use NG for the best smoke flavor.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Kane

• New Egg
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2021, 04:32:44 PM »
I get that one appeal of gas is less clean up, but my experience with gas is that there will be periodic deep cleanings and maintenance that doesn’t happen with the Weber. For example, cleaning up the sludge from fat dripping that accumulates in the bottom of the grill, replacing burnt out flavor bars, and the occasional dismantling and cleaning of the burners. With the Weber it’s rolling it over to the compost pile to dump out the ashes from the previous use (good for your compost and garden), brushing the grill, and the occasional wipe down.
YMMV!
2001 V11 Sport
1978 850-T3

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2021, 09:28:58 PM »
Technique and heat source not just technique. In the winter I use a kerosene heater to heat the garage. I also use it to simmer soups and stews. I'm only looking for gentle heat no flavor. So the lid stays on and the stuff inside simmers away while heating my garage. When making Brunswick, BBQ chicken stew or cowboy beans. They go in the BGE with no lid on the Dutch oven as I want the mild smoke flavors the charcoal imparts.
I can't argue that, but I will say that smoke flavor depends on the heat source also.  It is nuanced.  A lot of times, I'll use briquets just be expedient, but if I really want a decent smoke flavor, I'll soak wood (cherry or pecan or mesquite or whatever) and add that on lump charcoal.  It is rarely burnt up at the end of a run, but there is always some imparted flavor.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2020 R1250RS

Offline Kane

• New Egg
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2021, 11:05:11 PM »
You can think of the wood that you cook with as another layer in aromatic cooking.
2001 V11 Sport
1978 850-T3

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here