Author Topic: Why is there no Bourbon thread?  (Read 3477 times)

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Why is there no Bourbon thread?
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2021, 10:17:11 PM »
Don't know much about bourbon. Don't really have a taste for it, much prefer beer, but if I do drink bourbon I drink the local stuff. I don't care if it's not from Kentucky. We got more corn. 😉

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2021, 10:31:50 AM »
I've got a bottle of Bookers but the 126 proof scares me......spilled a bit on an old table and it peeled the varnish off. But one can add a teaspoon of water if need be. I do love Wild Turkey Rare Breed, the 116 proof recent batch.....very good. My overall fave is still Blantons and Hirsch Hi Rye Bourbon 8 year Old a close 2nd. Both hard to find these days. Four Roses Single Barrel is usually excellent as well and their Small Batch is one of the best buys, in my book, at about $32 a bottle here in NJ. I always have 14 bottles open at a time so can go with whatever suits the taste buds/mood. Oh, and James E Pepper 1776 is also a really good hi rye bourbon for under $30, another best buy, along with Buffalo Trace. I don't care for wheated bourbons like Makers Mark or Larceny, though the Larceny does get better 6 months or a year after it has been opened. Letting the cheaper ones breath does wonders for them. One more! Jeffersons Very Old is super smooth and quite delicious.....one of my Winter go to bourbons.
Scott

Cask Strength Whiskey is always 'hot' compared to most of the mass marketed bottles that are watered down to 80+/- proof. Bookers is 'hot' but the depth and layers of flavor and complexity is fantastic. Like with some Scotch, 'watering' to taste is common.

My favorite Scotch is Edradour. Wife and I accidentally stumbled on their little distillery in Scotland a couple years ago. Had a good long conversation about Scotch/Irish/Bourbon Whiskey. I normally drink Scotch and Irish Whiskey Neat, and Bourbon on Ice. He poured out several Drams and one of those cool water dropper things and taught me about how to properly water Edradour Scotch. AMAZING difference.

I've since started watering Bourbon (which I prefer over others) rather than Ice, and find it much more enjoyable. I also find I savor and reduce consumption. Unfortunately my DNA allows far too much regret free consumption...
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2021, 12:58:21 PM »
Oh yea.  A few well placed DROPS of water make a huge difference.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2021, 02:44:07 PM »
Oh yea.  A few well placed DROPS of water make a huge difference.

Just watched a couple YouTube videos on “watering”  bourbon.  Interesting, never knew a few drops could be so pivotal.  Gonna play with that.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2021, 02:44:07 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2021, 05:56:33 AM »
<whistling> When you find it, you buy it..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2021, 06:05:31 AM »
I've found that, also..wonder why?

Got to be oxidation and letting some alcohol vapors off each time you open the bottle. I had a bottle of Wellers I picked up a few years back down in Georgia, dirt cheap but my buddy said it was good..........it was SWILL! I let it sit for 6 months and tried it again and it was much better, almost good. After a year and then 2 years it made it to the point that I would have given it a B- or B rating (I keep a tasting spreadsheet).
But even some really good ones get way better with time. I won a lottery a few years ago, and we allowed to purchase a bottle of Old Forester Birthday bourbon for $100. I had always wanted to find a bottle and here was my chance! When I tried it I was quite disappointed....a little rough/harsh I thought. A year later and it was fantastic! I still have half a bottle........only have a sip on rare occasions. Enjoy.
Scott
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 08:38:58 AM by 9fingers »
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2021, 06:12:16 AM »
Cask Strength Whiskey is always 'hot' compared to most of the mass marketed bottles that are watered down to 80+/- proof. Bookers is 'hot' but the depth and layers of flavor and complexity is fantastic. Like with some Scotch, 'watering' to taste is common.

My favorite Scotch is Edradour. Wife and I accidentally stumbled on their little distillery in Scotland a couple years ago. Had a good long conversation about Scotch/Irish/Bourbon Whiskey. I normally drink Scotch and Irish Whiskey Neat, and Bourbon on Ice. He poured out several Drams and one of those cool water dropper things and taught me about how to properly water Edradour Scotch. AMAZING difference.

I've since started watering Bourbon (which I prefer over others) rather than Ice, and find it much more enjoyable. I also find I savor and reduce consumption. Unfortunately my DNA allows far too much regret free consumption...

Well there's "hot" and then there is 126 proof. I already had esophageal ulcers from acid reflux all my life........don't want to burn any new holes! Oddly, the 116 Wild Turkey does not seem that hot and 116 proof is still pretty serious. I do like to add a few drops of water to it though. Never seen Edradour. Anything over $100 a bottle is well outside my comfort zone. I do like Speyside single malts and generally get one of the Glenmorangie versions, Quinta Ruban or Nectar D'or are as good as I need to go in Scotch. In Irish whisky I like the Bushmills 10 Single or the Redbreast Lustau. how about you?
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
Re: Why is ther no Bourbon thread?
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2021, 06:19:59 AM »
I'm sorry, but if it ain't Buffalo Trace..<shrug>
Well, I do like my friend Jimmy's stuff, though.

If you love Buffalo Trace I suspect Blantons might get you so excited you would wet your pants! BT distilleries also had/has another very rare boubon called Rock Hill Farms, also excellent, but I have not seen it in 3 or 4 years.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2021, 06:38:43 AM »
Well there's "hot" and then there is 126 proof. I already had esophageal ulcers from acid reflux all my life........don't want to burn any new holes! Oddly, the 116 Wild Turkey does not seem that hot and 116 proof is still pretty serious. I do like to add a few drops of water to it though. Never seen Edradour. Anything over $100 a bottle is well outside my comfort zone. I do like Speyside single malts and generally get one of the Glenmorangie versions, Quinta Ruban or Nectar D'or are as good as I need to go in Scotch. In Irish whisky I like the Bushmills 10 Single or the Redbreast Lustau. how about you?
Scott

I rarely buy Scotch due to cost, but have a few bottles for special occasions. My favorite is Glenmorangie Signet.... The Beauty of Edradour is that if you buy the standard 10 year, it is only $50 a bottle. Edradour has a very cool history. They were the main Scotch the Mafia imported during prohibition.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Muinn257Oc

CHEAP for Scotch.  Bushmills Single is very good, as well as Redbreast and Powers, and since we are Talking Irish Whiskey, Tullamore DEW must be mentioned...... But this is a Bourbon Thread.

If I had to pick one Bourbon and stick with it, would definitely be Michters......... Bourbon or Rye.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 06:44:42 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2021, 10:38:48 AM »

I could use some education about adding water to Scotch.  I've heard about it but never able to do it right.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline JL Rich

• New Egg
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2021, 12:23:41 PM »
Making a drink colder (adding ice), will mask it's flavors.  Adding water instead keeps the temp up and the vapors/flavors evident.  Same reason a flavorful microbrewed beer is better at 55degrees vs. refrigerator temp.

Ralfy's scotch whiskey reviews on YouTube are very informative.  There are also a lot of Bourbon reviews on YouTube.

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2021, 01:16:15 PM »
When water is added it's literally drop by drop.  Depends on the whiskey amount, proof, and such.  Try to drops and g from there.  A great majority of the high proof stuff will get noticeably "sweeter" with a few drops.  The burnt sugar-spice components will get a boost for sure.

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2021, 03:19:27 PM »
This is the bourbon / rye list at the Campbell House in Lexington KY where we are staying for the weekend. We had the Weller 12 and Willett 10 year Estate Rye at the bar last night. What a treat. We toured the Bulleit distillery yesterday. Dropping one of our daughters off at UK for a physics internship and left her with a bottle of Weller 107. That is true love.

Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2021, 08:34:25 AM »
I rarely buy Scotch due to cost, but have a few bottles for special occasions. My favorite is Glenmorangie Signet.... The Beauty of Edradour is that if you buy the standard 10 year, it is only $50 a bottle. Edradour has a very cool history. They were the main Scotch the Mafia imported during prohibition.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Muinn257Oc

CHEAP for Scotch.  Bushmills Single is very good, as well as Redbreast and Powers, and since we are Talking Irish Whiskey, Tullamore DEW must be mentioned...... But this is a Bourbon Thread.

If I had to pick one Bourbon and stick with it, would definitely be Michters......... Bourbon or Rye.

I like the Michters bourbon, and give it a B/B+ rating, but I love the American Whiskey, but only when I am in the mood for that sweet vanilla molasses heavy sip. For some reason it is amazing after Chinese food or other salty things. Salted Caramel ice cream comes to mind! I have not tried Signet.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here