Author Topic: Taller windshield equals different bike - and how !  (Read 5066 times)

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Taller windshield equals different bike - and how !
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:25:44 PM »
I remember my first youth...I couldn't understand why anybody would ever want a windshield on their bike.

Now finishing up my second youth, starting on my third, I understand.

My Bassa was purchased from a man about a head shorter than I, and he made it clear that he'd modified the windshield to suit himself and I could probably benefit from doing the same.

With the toy budget currently maxed out, I came here to ask for input on creating an extension to my windshield. I received some excellent primers on working with the appropriate materials.

But I was looking for something more readily accessible in the way of raw materials to work with  (trash cans, two-by-sixes, etc.) and said so.

And (Radguzzi) offered me a windshield if I'd just pay shipping. After a comedy of coordinated efforts, in which his wife deserves much credit, I received a stock shield several inches taller than the one I had.

Wow...I don't know where to start. I guess first should be to thank [Radguzzi] and his wife for their generosity, and this forum for fostering the environment where that kind of act is a common occurrence.

And then to describe the change in the ride...For starters, the bike runs better. I'm one of those lucky guys that in that any attention I pay to my machines is rewarded by improved performance. My car always runs better after I wash it.

The engine runs smoother, some intermittent missing it was experiencing has gone away. The bike handles better in the turns. The engine sound is clearer, yet quieter. It sounds so much tighter, younger...I'm probably getting better fuel economy and being noticed by more ladies. I had a Harley rider who was splitting lanes in stopped traffic come to a halt next to me yesterday and say " Nice one ! " before going on his way. I'm sure he meant the windshield.

And the comfort level? Buffeting is nearly undetectable. Whereas before getting on the freeway was the signal to close my visor, now after a few minutes at speed I go " Oh yeah, maybe I should put my visor down a little bit ".

And I haven't even cleaned the windshield yet.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 07:28:03 PM »
Very nice. I like my tall shield.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
Re: Taller windshield equals different bike - and how !
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 08:48:58 PM »

I found that the Swanee / Aerofoil Fairing, now manufactured by Harper's as the H&H Handlebar Mount Fairing creates a nearly turbulence free zone behind the screen if the screen is the correct height.

Good deal, glad it works for you...  the windshield needs cleaning...?

I hope we can get together for a ride here soon. 

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 05:40:22 AM »
I'm glad to hear you're getting the bike the way you want. It certainly makes the ride more enjoyable!

John Henry

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 05:40:22 AM »

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 10:20:13 AM »
I remember my first youth...I couldn't understand why anybody would ever want a windshield on their bike.

Now finishing up my second youth, starting on my third, I understand.

My Bassa was purchased from a man about a head shorter than I, and he made it clear that he'd modified the windshield to suit himself and I could probably benefit from doing the same.

With the toy budget currently maxed out, I came here to ask for input on creating an extension to my windshield. I received some excellent primers on working with the appropriate materials.

But I was looking for something more readily accessible in the way of raw materials to work with  (trash cans, two-by-sixes, etc.) and said so.

And (Radguzzi) offered me a windshield if I'd just pay shipping. After a comedy of coordinated efforts, in which his wife deserves much credit, I received a stock shield several inches taller than the one I had.

Wow...I don't know where to start. I guess first should be to thank [Radguzzi] and his wife for their generosity, and this forum for fostering the environment where that kind of act is a common occurrence.

And then to describe the change in the ride...For starters, the bike runs better. I'm one of those lucky guys that in that any attention I pay to my machines is rewarded by improved performance. My car always runs better after I wash it.

The engine runs smoother, some intermittent missing it was experiencing has gone away. The bike handles better in the turns. The engine sound is clearer, yet quieter. It sounds so much tighter, younger...I'm probably getting better fuel economy and being noticed by more ladies. I had a Harley rider who was splitting lanes in stopped traffic come to a halt next to me yesterday and say " Nice one ! " before going on his way. I'm sure he meant the windshield.

And the comfort level? Buffeting is nearly undetectable. Whereas before getting on the freeway was the signal to close my visor, now after a few minutes at speed I go " Oh yeah, maybe I should put my visor down a little bit ".

And I haven't even cleaned the windshield yet.
[/quote

....well, that's when the re-entry burns start.... ;-T

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 09:22:46 PM »
Funny how the windshield effect is not linear.

It used to be uncomfortable to have the visor all the way down - I felt starved for air. Now with the new shield the visor closed is really comfortable - something has changed about the flow.

And Monday was my Guzzi - versery. It was a year and a day ago, that at about 8:30 at night my wife and I were driving down a deserted dirt road in the Arizona desert. We'd been driving all day, and in our exhaustion this felt like the start of any scary movie.

I had an envelope with $4,000 in hundred dollar bills in one pocket and a snubnose 38 in the other. The PO was probably packing also, this being Arizona. But he was a gentleman and I climbed aboard the first Guzzi I'd sat in more than twenty years, and rode off down the driveway whooping while my wife followed in the car.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:23:32 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 10:35:08 PM »
Never have I know anything like Guzzi brotherhood, people will go out of their way to help.
And to those who do, thank you for all that you do!
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 04:58:36 AM »
Never have I know anything like Guzzi brotherhood, people will go out of their way to help.
And to those who do, thank you for all that you do!

:+1 to that!
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 05:40:29 AM »
Happy Guzzivesary! ;D

John Henry

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here