Author Topic: The Quest to revive a dead 02 EVT Update (Photos are back)  (Read 11880 times)

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
The Quest to revive a dead 02 EVT Update (Photos are back)
« on: January 09, 2015, 06:31:32 AM »
Do you remember.....

Right!  It is definitely time an update on what has been happening and/or not happening to the “Wild Goose Guzzi”. A name which will end up being emblazoned on my fairing of my Cali. It goes with the number plate too, seen here mounted on its de-rusted, straightened out and repainted mounting plate.  (Thanks Kev for pointing out the obvious to me.)

An unfortunate lack of registration sticker in the holder below the plate might be noted.  It’s on hold. (At $560 per year I’m giving some thought to faking one.)

‘The Team’ had, after four or five intensive days got things to the point where I was able to ride the beastie to the end of the street and back. It was quite an achievement and my gratitude to any and all involved in any way for what it took to get it to that point knows no bounds.

It was however just slung together at this point. Many parts were not fitted. The tank and seat were not even bolted down. Much was still to be done.

So, the excuses.

Excuse #1  
For a long time after ‘The Team’ left these southern climes I was stuck in a sort of limbo. Long night shifts, sleep, eat now and again. I worked out at one point that I had, in effect, only one hour a day for use as ‘as you like’ time. This tended to be used up on emails and general R&R. It was a minimum wage job too so money was very tight. ( A bit like working for Wal-Mart in the US but without the govt. assistance)

During that time I did however manage to get a number of items that were needed for completion. In all I think I spent a total of about NZ$2000.

Excuse # 2
Along comes my second heart attack. I was driving when it happened and I pranged the taxi. At the time I couldn’t understand why on earth I had not seen that car coming and it wasn’t until later that one of the police who were round at my place collecting time sheets (commercial drivers have to keep them here) asked if I was feeling ok. I said I was, but when he asked a second time if I would like him to call an ambulance I took stock of myself and realised what was happening.  At the time of the prang my vision had been tunnelling in and I was on the way out. The adrenalin that resulted probably saved me.

Anyway, My reaction to this second heart attack was totally different from the first. Where-as after the first one and it’s attendant operation I came out of my corner swinging, this time I was absolutely paralysed and I sat on my arse for the next five or six months. My commercial licences were gone because of it so I am on an even smaller income. It is nigh on impossible to live on a benefit. Thank goodness for good friends.

Onward! (The NZ infantry motto btw)

Anyway, of late I’ve been able to turn ‘black to grey’ as it were, and started my journey out of that dark abyss, and things are starting to get done.  A fairly high priority has been the Guzzi.

Various shiny bits appeared on the rear, rear footrests too. Things never seem to just fit exactly on this machine. A bit of force was required with these bits.

On goes the side stand. Note the lovely new headers.

Took my quite a few days to work out why that side stand had what appeared to be a really sloppy fit. I had been considering getting some sort of bush made for it until it clicked.

I discovered at this point that my cold start lever had its return spring missing. I had never used the cold start but I didn’t fancy it being stuck in the on position much so off I go down to Hayes Hardware to get a spring. (Have a look. It’s the best hardware shop I’ve ever come across. I’ve put my name down for a job there http://www.ehayes.co.nz/Photo-Gallery/photo-gallery-__I.444  )

Instead of the cable attachment thingie being mounted sideways so you can get at it, it’s set vertically, so out with the battery and air box just to get at it! Grrr Bad design!

You can see my nice new leg shields in the pic above too. My originals are of the ‘build it yourself’ variety.  They are very vulnerable in a drop so when it reaches the top of my financial priority list I’m going to try and get molds made of these so that any future replacements can be made out of fibreglass.  

The battery has been maintained during the ‘wait’ time and a lifting strap has been fitted round it too.  With the spring located and battery and air box replaced I moved forward to the next order of business.  

After the fire it was discovered that my fuel filter had the consistency of a sponge. Now Moto Guzzi parts in general and such things as fuel filters and temp sensors in particular are about as frequent as feathers on a frog down here, so things could have very well ground to a halt at that point.

Pete (aka Vasco DG) had hired a car and used his enforced day off to drive up to Dunedin for a look-see. He returned triumphantly bearing a filter that would work. We certainly struck it lucky there. This filter allowed things to proceed to the point of running and riding but, it is of much bigger diameter than the original and won’t fit in the clamp.

I felt less than enthusiastic about this filter flopping about in there especially as it was hanging on fuel lines. I decided to swap it for the correct one, which had since been acquired.

So, out with the old. Oh…. Not so fast!!  I can’t get it out! It’s too big!

Billions Of Blue Blistering Barnacles! (As Cap’n Haddock would say) I can find no space large enough to get the thing out of there!  Visions of having to move the engine arise, but Pete got it in, obviously ???  I gave up for the night and slept on the problem. The answer struck me just as I was drifting off.

It could come out to the rear of the engine. But first I would once again have to remove the battery and air box, and the throttle bodies as well! Three steps backwards which made me use a little foul language, just for practise you understand, but at least I had an answer.

It took quite a while to figure out the attachment system for the fuel hoses to the throttle bodies, my mental facilities not being as sharp as they once were the ‘hint’ of circlips was not taken initially. But I got there in the end. I note too that one of the TBs electrical connections lacks its wire clip. I’ll look at that.

So here is where I’m at as of the moment.

In the process of all this I discovered that all my control cables had had their plastic covering burned off in places. They work fine at the moment but won’t for long if water gets in there, which without doubt it will if things are left as they are.

I will use Heat Shrink tubing to seal them off at this point in operations and I will try giving some somewhat singed electrical wires a bit more insulation while I can get to them too.

An ugly sight! You can see where I’ve already taped up the Speedo cable and how ropey some of the wiring is. I can foresee a future when there will be a complete rewire and replacement of control cables, but for now, everything works except the temp sensor.  (Hence the 'Improbability Drive' fitted to the handlebars. Very good thinking that. Was it Kev?)

I have a question for the pundits. I should know the answer to it and I should have written it down but…..

The two electrical connections for the tank. One is for the fuel tap and one is for the other dingus.  They are distinguished by one of the leads having a red rubber sleeve round it up at the plug end.  Which is which?

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 06:22:23 PM by johnr »
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

LaMojo

Re: The Quest to revive a dead 02 EVT Update
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 07:27:33 AM »
Black wire cable with short red sleeve goes to fuel tap.  Red to red.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 07:28:40 AM by LaMojo »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 07:58:27 AM »
Wow John, trials and tribulations! good to know your getting better and at it.. I will send you all the extra cables I have left from a 98 EV that I parted out, free!
send me a pm with an address.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 08:11:09 AM »
I hope you restore it to its former EV glory, the engine was the best running guzzi I ever rode, it made 85bhp on the dyno when it was in my Lemans.  Never missed a beat, however, it never dealt with a fire ;D 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 08:11:09 AM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 09:47:03 AM »
What do you think caused the fire"
The spine frame bikes have been known to let out the magic smoke if the main battery ground get's loose. The starter return current passes through the small ground wire from the regulator to battery turning it red hot.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 09:50:45 AM »
Black wire cable with short red sleeve goes to fuel tap.  Red to red.

Thanks LaMojo. Duly noted.
New Zealand

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 09:52:22 AM »
Wow John, trials and tribulations! good to know your getting better and at it.. I will send you all the extra cables I have left from a 98 EV that I parted out, free!
send me a pm with an address.

That would be great! Thank you. Pm on it's way in a minute.
New Zealand

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 10:38:22 AM »
I hope you restore it to its former EV glory, the engine was the best running guzzi I ever rode, it made 85bhp on the dyno when it was in my Lemans.  Never missed a beat, however, it never dealt with a fire ;D 

Have no fear of that. It's not actually that far away really but the list of jobs that are still  required do tend to be growing and a lot more hassle than they should be. Still, they are for the most part detail things and I'm getting there. I'm also getting to know my bike quite intimately and that is always a good thing. The guys wouldn't let me do a great deal when they were here, but then I tend to work slowly on things like this and they had limited time.

I'm not expecting the full 85bhp from the engine but I am expecting a significant increase on the 75 I supposedly had with the Hydro engine.

The reason I'm expecting less than 85 is;  
a/ I have the Cali exhaust on it.
b/ I have the the Cali throttle bodies on it.
c/ The fuel mapping etc. is most likely less than perfect with that set up.

The Cali exhaust is staying for fitment reasons. I plan at some time in the future to improve the exhaust some-what when time and money allows, perhaps with some LaFraconi competition mufflers at the least.

The throttle bodies off the Cali were used for the time being because the manifold stubs on the Lemans ones were the wrong angle and could not  be used. ( the TBs fouled the frame) I have a  'down the track' plan for that too.

I have established that the Lemans throttle bodies will fit just fine on the Cali bracket, so what is required is a pair of Cali manifold stubs ported out to size for them. (I'm not inclined to risk the stubs I have in case that exercise all goes pear shaped so I'll have to find another pair.)

There is another mod I want to make to the heads so they can take the Cali breather pipes which will involve the heads removal so I'll try and combine the operations  whenever I get to that point.

Once that is all done I think it will probably be time to visit a town about a 600 miles north of here to put it on a dyno and sort out the mapping situation. Now that will be interesting.

None of these mods are going to happen in the short term though so here's hoping it runs well enough in the meantime. The short ride I had on it indicates that it may well do.

Do you still have that picture of the bike the engine came out of? I know you have sent it to me already but I have had no less the three computer meltdowns since then and I have lost it. I would be delighted if you could email that to me again (especially in big format if you have it in that form). I'll stick it on a disk this time.
New Zealand

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 10:51:33 AM »
What do you think caused the fire"
The spine frame bikes have been known to let out the magic smoke if the main battery ground get's loose. The starter return current passes through the small ground wire from the regulator to battery turning it red hot.

The fire was caused because the fuel filter had corroded through behind the bracket. (the system had already been checked for leaks) Pete was in the process of spinning the engine up with the plugs out to prime the oil filter and aforementioned fuel filter sprayed a load of fuel straight into zapping spark plugs.
It was absolutely unexpected and unforeseeable, one of those things, but for a few moments there I thought I had lost my bike.
New Zealand

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 11:25:50 AM »
John , you have made my day  ;-T

Dusty

That pleases me greatly Dusty.
New Zealand

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 05:12:33 PM »

I have established that the Lemans throttle bodies will fit just fine on the Cali bracket, so what is required is a pair of Cali manifold stubs ported out to size for them. (I'm not inclined to risk the stubs I have in case that exercise all goes pear shaped so I'll have to find another pair.)

not sure what stubs you mean.. are you saying you need stock EV intake manifolds? I might have them too.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 06:07:09 PM »
not sure what stubs you mean.. are you saying you need stock EV intake manifolds? I might have them too.

Yes those. Do you ?
New Zealand

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 07:20:22 PM »
Do you still have that picture of the bike the engine came out of? I know you have sent it to me already but I have had no less the three computer meltdowns since then and I have lost it. I would be delighted if you could email that to me again (especially in big format if you have it in that form). I'll stick it on a disk this time.

Hi John
Just PM me your email addy and I will post off some lovely pics of the Lemans
Cheers,

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 11:30:06 PM »
The fire was caused because the fuel filter had corroded through behind the bracket. (the system had already been checked for leaks) Pete was in the process of spinning the engine up with the plugs out to prime the oil filter and aforementioned fuel filter sprayed a load of fuel straight into zapping spark plugs.
It was absolutely unexpected and unforeseeable, one of those things, but for a few moments there I thought I had lost my bike.

I can assure all and sundry that that was a VERY exiting few minutes!!!!! :o Panic would be an understatement!
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: The Quest to revive a dead 02 EVT Update (Photos are back)
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 11:31:13 PM »
John, did I ever send the CD of the photos?
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 01:45:26 AM »
John, did I ever send the CD of the photos?

Er... No... I felt that if I asked again I would be pestering you.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:40:03 PM by johnr »
New Zealand

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 05:25:10 AM »
I have always slipped the fuel filter out between the frame rails, not below them.

Glad to hear progress is being made.

John Henry

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 12:39:06 PM »
I have always slipped the fuel filter out between the frame rails, not below them.

Glad to hear progress is being made.

John Henry

With the standard part filter that is entirely doable, but with the fat one that was in there it was not. The only other option for getting it out was to cut it in half longitudinally. Not being inclined to destroy perfectly functional parts I went the route that I did.  Not a problem in the future though with the standard one going in.
New Zealand

crc

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 08:40:10 PM »
I haven't read the whole post john, but are you still out of work? are you well enough to work? would you consider moving to a warmer climate? (thames way). do you have wireing or engineering skills? I think you worked for lucas in the past? if all the above meets your criteria I feel about 80% confident I could get you a job where I work. we are a engineering shop  that does general engineering but we also have another department building lifts for diasabled, from short rise to 4 story. we call the liftys drag foots. were short staffed and have contracts with the government with the lifts. there could also be a vacancy for a office worker dealing with lift stuff. its just a thort, but I know how hard it is to survive on a benefit, I also know what Invercargill weathers like. if youre interested ill see what I can do.

crc

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 08:42:39 PM »
I also know that as you get older its hard to find work.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 03:54:03 AM »
I haven't read the whole post john, but are you still out of work? are you well enough to work? would you consider moving to a warmer climate? (thames way). do you have wireing or engineering skills? I think you worked for lucas in the past? if all the above meets your criteria I feel about 80% confident I could get you a job where I work. ....if youre interested ill see what I can do.

Yes I am still out of work
Yes I am able to work, just not drive commercially. (I doubt I could get a pilots licence either, should I want one)
Yes I would consider moving to warmer climes, though I don't mind the Invercargill one...mostly.
I worked for Lucas for 7 years, 4 1/2 of them at the head office in Auckland. In fact in Auckland I was Lucas motorcycles NZ ltd. all by myself as I was the only guy in the place that knew anything about them. Everything motorcycle came my way. Essentially I was a parts guy.
I also worked with a team of toolmakers at Canterbury university for 9 months. Loved it. It was a TMP job though (3 month tenure) which the university managed to get extended twice, but they couldn't get me back for another stint. (they tried) I should point out though that 9 months does not a turner and fitter make, let alone a toolmaker.
My actual qualifications are more academic and I am a trained teacher. (Unregistered now. That horse has bolted)

It's very kind of you CRC to make this offer, but the truth is it would be very awkward for me to make a move right now.

I would not only want to get the bike on the road before such a thing but I'm cluttered up with things that need sorted. Once I'm mobile and sorted I may just ask what the situation is then.

I sort of like the idea of living near Thames (Where near Thames?) though I would miss the South Island terribly too.

On the bright side, On Feb. 6th (Waitangi Day) I become an official old fart and start receiving the pension (Yah!) which will effectively just about double my income. That will ease things a bit, I can get by with no extras on that, but I will still need a job as well. (for the extras, like fuel  ;D )
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:30:45 AM by johnr »
New Zealand

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 12:17:09 PM »
Hey gang, I'm ready to send John some new cables and manifolds but they won't fit the cheap priority box. so I'm paying $60 to send down under.. would any of you cheapskates want to chip in on the shipping charges? That way I won't have to ask an un-employed member to pay the cost. 
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 06:51:45 PM »
Hey gang, I'm ready to send John some new cables and manifolds but they won't fit the cheap priority box. so I'm paying $60 to send down under.. would any of you cheapskates want to chip in on the shipping charges? That way I won't have to ask an un-employed member to pay the cost. 

Hells Bells!!! that's a lot. You not sending it by air are you?  Surface is the way to go from the States unless you are in a screaming hurry.
New Zealand

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 07:18:50 AM »
Hells Bells!!! that's a lot. You not sending it by air are you?  Surface is the way to go from the States unless you are in a screaming hurry.
Oh I hadn't thought of that.. I was going priority mail.. If you have time to wait I can go boat.. no more contributions guys, I have two already.. that should cover it.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 06:45:24 PM »
Really? Boy, did I time that right. I had to search for this thread on the second page - my conscience was riding me.

Okay, I'll save it for another time.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 08:07:07 PM »
Just an FYI.. USPS does not offer surface shipping overseas anymore.. I had to choose air..  but I covered the priority box with a brown paper bag wrapper and it cost $42. to send.. I got a couple nice donations and chipped in a bit so shipping is all covered..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 04:55:10 AM »
Just an FYI.. USPS does not offer surface shipping overseas anymore.. I had to choose air..  but I covered the priority box with a brown paper bag wrapper and it cost $42. to send.. I got a couple nice donations and chipped in a bit so shipping is all covered..

Hey that's terrific! (what do they mean no surface mail ???) Thank you for that, and thanks to the contributors to the outrageous postage too.
New Zealand

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here