Author Topic: The Road to Swanzey: Frustrations with Google Maps  (Read 14830 times)

Bill Hagan

The Road to Swanzey: Frustrations with Google Maps
« on: January 12, 2015, 07:49:01 AM »

Started to add this to the National Rally thread, but it’s more about my frustration with Google maps than with the road to the rally proper.  If Mod Mike feels differently, won’t hurt my feelings to have it merged.  :D

Anyway, I am not smart enough to get Google maps to display "directions" in "terrain” mode.

As an example, our (very tentative) routing is a mere 500-mile back-road delight ... sort of, maybe, could be, something like this, https://goo.gl/maps/l9y0S.

Wish I could see that in “terrain,” but can’t, darn it, as it would be easier to tweak ahead of time.  Still, it is looking to be a fine trip up the valleys of the Appalachian spine. 

Google maps once supported that function, but some “improvement” seems to have deleted it … or, at least, I cannot figure out how to do it.  Anyone figured a work-around or another routing service that does better?

FWIW, I am using a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.9.5, and Safari Version 7.1.2 (9537.85.11.5).

Grazie.

Bill

P.S. Would be happy to hear from anyone about suggestions for different roads or attractions along the way.  Intend to RON vicinity Scranton, which is about halfway there.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: The Road to Swanzey: Frustrations with Google Maps
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 07:58:53 AM »
lower left corner, satellite view?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Bill Hagan

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 08:16:30 AM »

lower left corner, satellite view?

Thanks, but not the same for my purposes.

Here’s a satellite shot of where we live:

https://goo.gl/maps/sr5PY

Here’s same in “terrain,” a topographical depiction that is way more useful for me in finding fun roads:

https://goo.gl/maps/d9i5d 

Bill

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 08:27:42 AM »
They "upgraded" Google Maps awhile back.  You cannot view routes in terrain mode, anymore. 

They've also limited the number of way points you can put in.

Terrain mode is available, and if you know your route, you can use it.  You just won't have the blue line overlaying the map.

If you open two tabs and open two sessions of Google Maps, you could toggle back and forth between the two.

It does suck that their "upgrade" took away capability.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 08:27:42 AM »

Bill Hagan

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 08:39:34 AM »
They "upgraded" Google Maps awhile back.  You cannot view routes in terrain mode, anymore. 

They've also limited the number of way points you can put in.

Terrain mode is available, and if you know your route, you can use it.  You just won't have the blue line overlaying the map.

If you open two tabs and open two sessions of Google Maps, you could toggle back and forth between the two.

It does suck that their "upgrade" took away capability.

Thanks, Mike.

Figured.

I've been doing that "toggling."

Yet another example of how "new & improved" often isn't.   :'(

Bill

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 08:52:28 AM »
   Route 11 from Selinsgrove  to Moosic can get a little busy, lots of little towns. I like it but not the best if you are trying to make time.  Anywhere close to Old Forge PA and I would stop in Revillo's and get a couple of slices with a tossed salad (get cheese on the salad if you like cheese).  I really don't like 209 below Stroudsburg, there  seems to always be construction and the road surface is not great.  209 from Port Jervis up is a nice.  
   My wife grew up in Shelbourne Falls, MA and you go right by it on Rt. 2.  It was the town that was used for the movie The Judge recently.  Gorgeous little town on the Deerfield river,  some nice little restaurants and if your traveling with your wives a visit to the Bridge of Flowers will certainly be appreciated.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 09:55:39 AM »
Hey Bill, 

Click on the question mark icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen, and you'll have the option to "return to classic google maps" which has the terrain feature.

Not sure why the powers that be at google 'upgraded' the maps and removed functionality, not to mention making it completely non-intuitive.  If it aint broke...

Cheers,
Owen
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Bill Hagan

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 10:12:48 AM »
Hey Bill,  

Click on the question mark icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen, and you'll have the option to "return to classic google maps" which has the terrain feature.

Not sure why the powers that be at google 'upgraded' the maps and removed functionality, not to mention making it completely non-intuitive.  If it aint broke...

Cheers,
Owen

Specdarntacular!   :bow :bow :bow

http://goo.gl/maps/hwWRR

Grazie mille!

Route 11 from Selinsgrove  to Moosic can get a little busy, lots of little towns. I like it but not the best if you are trying to make time.  Anywhere close to Old Forge PA and I would stop in Revillo's and get a couple of slices with a tossed salad (get cheese on the salad if you like cheese).  I really don't like 209 below Stroudsburg, there  seems to always be construction and the road surface is not great.  209 from Port Jervis up is a nice.  
   My wife grew up in Shelbourne Falls, MA and you go right by it on Rt. 2.  It was the town that was used for the movie The Judge recently.  Gorgeous little town on the Deerfield river,  some nice little restaurants and if your traveling with your wives a visit to the Bridge of Flowers will certainly be appreciated.

Thanks for this, too.

I actually love the little towns, but that doesn't necessarily mean "we" do.   ;)

Actually, Kathi loves back roads, too, but thinks I might stop too often at local dives to check out how yankees do biscuits and gravy, or, later in the day, local craft beer, etc.  She's right, of course.   :wife:

We will now fine tune the route ... subject, naturally, to those last-minute deviations that make what we motorcyclists do so much more rewarding ... with "terrain" and recommendations such as yours.

Best to all; hope to see many here there.

Bill

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 06:36:49 AM by Bill Hagan »

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 10:33:15 AM »
So fr we are planning on being there, barring employment difficulties.  (Were's the wage slave emoticon at?)
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 10:34:05 AM »
I fight endlessly with the GPS & Google maps...  So irritating to have all this computer power and not be proficient at it  :-\

Is there any mapping software where you can just simply click click click the waypoints you want (in order) and then it turns it into a route??

Have you ever wondered into the ADV GPS forum!!??!!  I thought I could research and sharpen my skills there.. but it appears they only discuss full-on NASA telemetry in Greek over there. WAAAY over my head
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:36:40 AM by Mayor_of_BBQ »
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

dilligaf

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 11:12:01 AM »
Boy you can tell it's winter time.  As I type son in law (SIL) and I are working on a ride to Newfoundland this Spring. Once there I understand SIL is going to head for AK and I am planning on a stop at the National and the VA rally on the return ride.  We made it to Saint John, NB this past September but, just ran out of time so this Spring will be a continuation or last Fall.  :BEER:
Matt
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:12:30 AM by dilligaf »

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 12:17:28 PM »
I am looking for a trip planning software that allows a full range of planning options for routing (I like to use two lanes roads where feasible). I found a planning system through adv-rider called Furkot that seems like it could be a useful tool but I'm not savy enough to figure it out yet. Furkot seems to be able to help you plan most every thing down to frequency of fuel stops and resting/sleeping periods, I just haven't been able to suss out the way to use it. I got a basic two lane route from google maps but can't seem to import it to Furkot. Heck I can't even seem to figure out how to save the route in google maps. I'm planning a trip from MI to Yosemite NP for mid May, 10 days camping with a hotel every so often. Might even make it back for the national rally in NH in June.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 12:35:07 PM »
I just tried the "return to classic Google Maps" and realized that I'd really gotten used to the new version!

Other than lacking the terrain feature with a route in place, I kind of like the New Google Maps.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 01:09:24 PM »
Hey Bill, 

Not sure why the powers that be at google 'upgraded' the maps and removed functionality, not to mention making it completely non-intuitive.  If it aint broke...

Cheers,
Owen

When they first did this 'upgrade' there was an option for you to 'permanently' select the 'return to classic maps'.  I did that, but can't remember how.  Poke around and see if you can find it.  I use the route over terrain view all the time.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 02:45:35 PM »
One of the things I find most irritating about the new GM is the way they do printouts.  I have used the maps extensively for almost all my motorcycle trips, and I print out a "tank bag map pocket" size map so I can keep track of not only the route but where I am on it.  The new & "improved" version won't let me print the large, overview map any more.  It has a too-small overview with several sectional breakdown maps along the way.  Mostly useless on the motorcycle, as I am not willing to stop every hour to change out the map in my tank bag because I just ran off the edge.

For bmc, the way I have been saving maps is to just right click on the URL bar and choose "copy" then go paste it from the clipboard into a simple text editor.  (In my Linux system it's called Kate but pretty much any text editor will work.)  That way I can also add notes about good/bad things along the route, gas stops, etc.

Howard
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 03:28:24 PM »
I just like ... you know, I just sort of .... I mean, like, I just sort of "Go", know what I mean?   Like, get a map and go.   It has its occasional frustrations, but I don't have ANY of the frustrations mentioned here, and that's certainly some recompense.   Terrain, street view, satellites, versions, downloads, way-points, routings ... yuck.

Now sometimes, someone ELSE does the hard work and spends the money on the new software and the maps and such, and comes up with a good route that they enjoy and they send it to me and I'll tape it to the tank, I'd be silly to say "No" to that, and I appreciate it.   

Otherwise, it's "I think it's in THAT direction" and I get to explore!   "We're not lost; we're TOURING!"

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 03:39:56 PM »
I just like ... you know, I just sort of .... I mean, like, I just sort of "Go", know what I mean?   Like, get a map and go.   It has its occasional frustrations, but I don't have ANY of the frustrations mentioned here, and that's certainly some recompense.   Terrain, street view, satellites, versions, downloads, way-points, routings ... yuck.

Now sometimes, someone ELSE does the hard work and spends the money on the new software and the maps and such, and comes up with a good route that they enjoy and they send it to me and I'll tape it to the tank, I'd be silly to say "No" to that, and I appreciate it.   

Otherwise, it's "I think it's in THAT direction" and I get to explore!   "We're not lost; we're TOURING!"

Lannis

Lannis, You and Wayne need to do a trip together.

Dean 
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 04:10:28 PM »
I'm never lost, cause everyone is always telling me where to go!!!!! ::) ;) :D
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 05:09:15 PM »

Dean 

I doubt seriously that I'd be able to keep up!   :D

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 05:45:06 PM »
Google maps had me seriously lost in southern Indiana this fall, then put an address about 7 miles from where it really was. I used to like it.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
There's a lot to be said for old fashioned paper maps.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Mike Craven

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 09:00:32 PM »
Uh-oh... very close to Mom's house in Poughkeepsie.  I might have to stop by and visit.  Wouldn't want her to be reading this board and find out I didn't.
Mike
Mike  L-715, Atlanta GA
1983 Cali II

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 09:08:01 PM »
Years ago my wife and I went touristing in D.C.  Just past the center of the city we had to pull over so three fire trucks could blast by, sirens and lights calling.  I   took some odd not main streets heading towards Mass Ave N.E. and the rather fleabitten hotel we had picked from AAA book. Following the map I was able to find our hotel and was again forced to pull over for-yep, three fire engines with lights and sirens blasting.  And my says I get lost! ;D ;D

Yes,I did write the AAA and told them about the quality of the hotel and the rather skimpy attire of all those young gals hanging around.  Friendly group too, always coming up to me and asking if I wanted...hmm

dilligaf

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 09:24:43 PM »

Yep.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 10:04:32 PM »

I found some new Android GPS software called "least direct route".
Great way to get lost, yet still end up where you want.  ;D
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Bill Hagan

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 06:31:34 AM »

Lannis

Lordy, you guys make me feel as if I might be a Cro-Magnon and not the Neanderthal I thought. 

I, too, like maps.  In fact, I'll stack my large and well-used collection of maps of states and locales against your own libraries anytime; suspect they are similar.  And, as do you, I think finding the road-less-traveled has great charm.

Comma but.

Until someone comes up with state or smallish regional maps that show back roads and topo features in appropriate, usable scale, well, I'll shamelessly use on-line mapping to determine the general axis of advance on trips to areas I have not visited enough to know -- literally -- the lay of the land. 

Maps are flat; America isn't.  OK, OK, there is a reason some are called the Flat States.   ;)  And, I like to follow ridge and valley roads, with the former often providing grand vistas, the latter giving beautiful creekside runs, and both serving up curve after curve after delicious curve.

Feel free to stumble upon those; I'd rather play the odds and find them on line.  Google "terrain" does that, at least in my now-saved "classic maps" version. [Thanks, Patrick.]

And, unlike the ADV discussions The Mayor mentions, the classic GM does not need knowledge of "full-on NASA telemetry in Greek."   ::)

I have an adequate m/c GPS, and mostly use it for "go home" when I need to tell Kathi something more accurate than my "Moto Guzzi Standard Time" estimate of return.  But having some idea on a long trip of a preplanned -- but not chiseled in concrete or blacktop (or, for Wayne, gravel  :D) -- appealing route is, IMO, just plain better. 

OK, company's coming today ... off to have my hurried housecleaning supervised and inspected.   :wife: :D

Tonight, I'll get out the maps again, paper and virtual.  I may even try to find out what the roads look like around Les Eyzies-de-Tayac-Sireuil.   ;D

Bill

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 06:49:42 AM »
Bill,
I respectfully submit leaving behind the evil doohickeys, and navigate by the sun. I'm not joking-look at a map, and just follow roads that take you in the right direction. Or just ride on the small lines on your map.

Having some machine do it for you just seems wrong.

If you get lost, I live about 65 miles from the rally site and I know the area well. Plus we have camping room.

dilligaf

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 07:26:19 AM »
What Aaron said. State maps, even those supplied by AAA work well enough.  Pick a county or state road that sort of goes in the direction you want to go and go.  If the road you picked today isn't to your likening there is always tomorrow. Should you need to make up some time an interstate is seldom more than 20-30 miles away.  That's where the GPS becomes a handy tool.  That and locating a motel or a place to camp for the night.

Going north through central Pennsylvania PA-26 to State Collage where you pick up PA-144 and then NE when you get to NY is out of the way but a surprisingly good ride.  If you are camping, the facilities at PA State Parks are some of the best I have used.   :BEER:
Matt

Cheese

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 07:34:04 AM »
Well Bill, I'd suggest 2 things for your trip. One might be NY30 or NY10 at least part way through the Catskills. Another would take you through southern Vermont to Windsor, home of the American Precision Museum.

http://www.americanprecision.org/

Peter

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 09:34:10 AM »
and navigate by the sun.

I headed out to Mid Ohio one time using that method. It started getting cloudy in eastern Indiana, but I thought, "what the hey, It's not like this is the first time I've ever been to Mid Ohio, I'll just strike out in the general direction on these little back roads. About an hour and a half later, I finally found where I was. About 20 miles from where I started.. ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here