Author Topic: The Road to Swanzey: Frustrations with Google Maps  (Read 14826 times)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: The Road to Swanzey: Frustrations with Google Maps
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 11:20:37 AM »
The new google maps moved my house about a quarter of a mile. According to the new map my house is now in the middle of a soybean field. My farmer is not going to like to have to work around it. ;D
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 12:39:52 PM »
The new google maps moved my house about a quarter of a mile. According to the new map my house is now in the middle of a soybean field. My farmer is not going to like to have to work around it. ;D
GliderJohn

I can see 1/4 mile, but 7 miles?? I just don't trust Google maps any longer..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 02:13:07 PM »
I headed out to Mid Ohio one time using that method. It started getting cloudy in eastern Indiana, but I thought, "what the hey, It's not like this is the first time I've ever been to Mid Ohio, I'll just strike out in the general direction on these little back roads. About an hour and a half later, I finally found where I was. About 20 miles from where I started.. ;D

This is what happens to me when I get in the steep & twisties in WNC
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 06:19:32 PM »
What about 'Moto Where'? Does it work with the downgraded Google Maps now?
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 06:19:32 PM »

Offline GuzziPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 07:22:46 PM »
Been digging into this.  Would appear the "desktop" Google is now incapable of routing with the terrain/topo layer, as indicated here:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/maps/iS_jIXIpwW0

But....I pulled up terrain on my Nexus tablet Google maps, input a start/finish route and Bam!  No issue except for the expedited (most direct) routing.  So....fired up my netbook, tried same......no go.

Now looking into external GPS receiver/antenna combo for my tablet, coupled with live or offline terrain/topo mapping App as a full solution.  Will advise...

Lee

<On Edit>

This link better explains how I want to use my tablet as my GPS navigator.  I do have dedicated GPS's, but they're older, and the GUI is cumbersome at best, and much smaller screen.  Onward to the next corner of complexity during my rides :wife:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/gps/nexus-7-gps/using-a-tablet-as-a-gps.htm
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:34:02 AM by Andiamo »
2012 GT8V Norge {The Faster Color}
2002 EV1100 - Vintage Red
Y2K Jackal {sold} - Red

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 08:57:05 PM »
You can follow someone. That will work.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 10:27:49 PM »
Bill, I doubt this will help, but it may help others a lot.

Download the program called ITNconverter. A Google search will find it. That program was originally intended to convert routing file formats. Basically, convert Garmin to Google to Tom Tom to ........ But they added route editing features, and eventually route creation features. It allows you to create routes using a number of maps, roads, terrain, satellite, etc. Then you can export the routes to KML to sent to Google to share, or GPX for your Garmin, or whatever. It is so easy, it is worth looking into. But it may be lacking in POI features that you want, or something.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Bill Hagan

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2015, 08:45:12 AM »

Wayne, I have referred your comment to a law firm to see if it's actionable.     ;D

OTOH, truth is a defense to defamation; you are right, as I haven't a clue how to do that ITNconverter thing ... but I will try.  ;)

Thanks, btw, to the suggestions of others for routes and for things to do and see.  

Does seem as if there is niche to filled.  Not sure how profitable that might be, but I'd plunk down some lira for a serious, web-based, topographical trip planner.  In the meantime, I'll look for that ITNconverter and see if I can make it do tricks.

Bill

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:36:02 AM by Bill Hagan »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2015, 10:53:30 AM »
Still prefer the "stop and ask a local" method of finding good roads . They are usually clueless , but at least it is fun to watch the gears whirring in their heads while figuring out the best route to a location not 20 miles from where they have spent all of their lives  ;D

Dusty

This phenomenon never ceases to amaze me, although I ought to be used to it by now.   

I enjoy looking for reasons to start a conversation with a local person when I'm traveling by bike, but I'm constantly appalled by the ignorance of people about the places they live.

I'm guessing there's a couple reasons:

1) Most people "aren't like us" motorcyclists.   They don't get on the road for the sake of being on the road because it's fun; it's just a chore to them and they know no more about the geography of their home town or county than they HAVE to know to get to work and to the WalMart.   Me, when I go to a new area to work or live, the FIRST thing I do is get on the bike and figure out what's where.

2) People move around so much these days.   Even in a little West Virginia town, many of the people you see there aren't native to the area, and so don't have any idea about where places are.

3) And for the people who HAVE lived in their town a long time, they don't realize that everyone in the world doesn't live just down the road from them.   "Jim's Garage?  Sure, son, you go down a ways to where Pawpaw lived, turn right, then go to where John Harris' barn burned down back in '54 and then take the next left and go a ways and there it is ...."

I'd like to blame the advent of GPS, but this has been going on way before there was any such thing .... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2015, 11:16:34 AM »
Lannis ,

Then there are the different terminologies used around the country . Once asked a gentleman in extreme rural N.W. North Dakota how to find a certain farm . "Well , go down this road till you pass over two big coolies , then at the second carpass take a left , when you see an old dugout start looking for a stoney , it will be the next driveway"  ???
Needless to say , that required some translation  :D

Dusty

Bill Hagan

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2015, 11:37:06 AM »

Download the program called ITNconverter. A Google search will find it. That program was originally intended to convert routing file formats. Basically, convert Garmin to Google to Tom Tom to ........ But they added route editing features, and eventually route creation features. It allows you to create routes using a number of maps, roads, terrain, satellite, etc. Then you can export the routes to KML to sent to Google to share, or GPX for your Garmin, or whatever. It is so easy, it is worth looking into. But it may be lacking in POI features that you want, or something.

Wayne, I have referred your comment to a law firm to see if it's actionable.     ;D

OTOH, truth is a defense to defamation; you are right, as I haven't a clue how to do that ITNconverter thing ... but I will try.  ;)

Thanks, btw, to the suggestions of others for routes and for things to do and see. 

Does seem as if there is niche to filled.  Not sure how profitable that might be, but I'd plunk down some lira for a serious, web-based, topographical trip planner.  In the meantime, I'll look for that ITNconverter and see if I can make it do tricks.

Bill

Ah, I now see you weren't insulting me -- well, at least not in the way I thought, i.e., as IT incompetent, which, of course, is true enough  ::) -- but telling me this tool was not available for Appleites.

But, you also right in that it does look useful for any PC folks who like to play with routes on virtual maps.

Bill

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here