Author Topic: Metal vs. plastic MC parts  (Read 12186 times)

Penderic

Re: Metal vs. plastic MC parts
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2015, 01:16:16 PM »
They looked cool though!

2 years ago I helped fix up a friends junky 60's Chevy Van, it was the Scooby Doo Mystery Van version with the front seats above the front wheels and just one thin layer of sheet metal in front of your legs and a big pane of glass on up! Felt very vulnerable when riding in that thing!

Very little of the original plastics and vinyl parts survived - dried out and cracked.

New plastic parts outgas and a new car's plastic interior will smell like the factory for a while .... phew! I think the inside of my windshield gets coated with something emitted from the plastics.

Safety tip. Never stand downwind of a car or truck cab on fire. The smoke from the burning plastics is very toxic!

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2015, 01:45:37 PM »
Nice looking van!

was a fan of the econoline, VW, and dodge vans of the era -- same basic design.  We mounted the spare tire on front for a little extra protection.  Sort of a F. Flintstone airbag.

Penderic

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2015, 01:47:58 PM »
And the Hippy stickers helped hold the pieces together after an accident!  :D

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 04:34:01 PM »
Volvo was the 1st car Co. to have lap seat belts in 1959.  ;)  

American car manufacturers Nash (in 1949) and Ford (in 1955) offered seat belts as options, while Swedish Saab first introduced seat belts as standard in 1958. After the Saab GT 750 was introduced at the New York Motor Show in 1958 with safety belts fitted as standard, the practice became commonplace.

However, the first modern three point seat belt (the so-called CIR-Griswold restraint) used in most consumer vehicles today was patented in 1955 U.S. Patent 2,710,649 by the Americans Roger W. Griswold and Hugh DeHaven, and developed to its modern form by Swedish inventor Nils Bohlin for Swedish manufacturer Volvo—who introduced it in 1959 as standard equipment.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 04:34:01 PM »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2015, 04:52:16 PM »
American car manufacturers Nash (in 1949) and Ford (in 1955) offered seat belts as options, while Swedish Saab first introduced seat belts as standard in 1958. After the Saab GT 750 was introduced at the New York Motor Show in 1958 with safety belts fitted as standard, the practice became commonplace.

However, the first modern three point seat belt (the so-called CIR-Griswold restraint) used in most consumer vehicles today was patented in 1955 U.S. Patent 2,710,649 by the Americans Roger W. Griswold and Hugh DeHaven, and developed to its modern form by Swedish inventor Nils Bohlin for Swedish manufacturer Volvo—who introduced it in 1959 as standard equipment.

I don't recall my '59 Volvo having a 3 point system but maybe it was.  :-\  I believe my `61 P1800 did.  :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:27:12 PM by Arizona Wayne »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here