Author Topic: Metal vs. plastic MC parts  (Read 12185 times)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Metal vs. plastic MC parts
« on: January 12, 2015, 10:09:32 PM »
Those of you that hate plastic parts on your MCs.  Have you ever considered that plastic makes your MC lighter than if it was all metal and unlike metal it won't rust or corrode?  I have no issue with plastic parts on my MCs.  :)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Metal vs. plastic MC parts
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:11:29 PM »
Personally, I prefer metal parts.  Especially tanks and fenders. 

I'm not going to go switching in aftermarket metal to get rid of OEM plastic, though.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline EvanM

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 10:54:09 PM »
I think both have their positives and negatives.
Awesome that I don't have to worry about rusty tanks or side covers, but crappy that the tank expands, and the plastic side covers have somehow warped slightly and no longer stay in how they're supposed to.
2007 Breva 1100

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 10:55:43 PM »
I prefer metal, that's why the Ambassador is my favorite motorcycle. 46 yrs. old now and it hasn't rusted away.  ;) The MZ Silver Star has metal tank, sidecovers, fenders, seat pan, rims, heavy original muffler, an enclosed chain and 100 lbs. of Rotax, yet still only weighs 350 lbs. Plastic - bah, humbug...  
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 10:55:43 PM »

Penderic

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 10:57:04 PM »
I hate those rusty windshields!  ;D

crc

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 03:22:27 AM »
who cares about weight? im adding lots to my eldo. but ive got twin discs so it will stop just fine

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 07:32:54 AM »
No one mentioned the dreaded polyester mite. Attacks plastics and turns it into goo.

Times change. Just wait, 20 years from now your kid's kids will be saying, "look at that classic roto molded polyethylene! With evertything made out of boring carbon fiber now, bikes don't have the flex and give of plastic."
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 09:38:01 AM »
Plastic doesn't age well and you can't really repair plastic tanks and fenders that are damaged.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:38:58 AM by Travman »
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »
I prefer metal...it's pretty easy to paint or repair and is stronger in most ways. My '03 Triumph is mostly metal...my Vintage, too. It just seems more 'real' to me than plastic...not logical I guess, but if I was truly pragmatic I'd travel by public transportation.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 10:39:37 AM »
I was surprised that the Cal 14 had a plastic fender. 

As general rule, I have no problem with plastic for the reasons above.  Although Carbon would be nicer. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 02:05:21 PM »
I prefer metal, that's why the Ambassador is my favorite motorcycle. 46 yrs. old now and it hasn't rusted away.  ;) The MZ Silver Star has metal tank, sidecovers, fenders, seat pan, rims, heavy original muffler, an enclosed chain and 100 lbs. of Rotax, yet still only weighs 350 lbs. Plastic - bah, humbug...  

My MZ 660 Tour has plastic tank, side panels, fenders, chain cover and weighs about 400#.  Best handling bike I've ever ridden and get's 65 mpg.  :BEER:   Never heard of a polyester mite.   ???

My maxi-scooters are covered w/plastic and none of them are light.  Can't imagine what they'd weigh w/o plastic.  ~;

Unlike metals plastic is an insulator and doesn't transfer heat or cold which can be beneficial for exposed gas tanks.  8)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:29:18 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 02:08:11 PM »
Benjamin, I have one word for you; plastics

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 02:42:05 PM »
Whatever happened to those 305cc Honda Dreams with the pink plastic fenders.

How we sneered at those back in the 60s ???
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 03:03:50 PM »
I hate chrome plated plastic, that stuff just sucks!  I say this as I look at the bubbling .peeling chrome plastic on the front grill of my F-150, and the bubbling ,peeling chrome plastic on the trunk  trim on my Goldwing. You cant do anything with that crap once it starts to go.
Plastics also dont do well in this Arizona sun, it really eats em up. Give me metal any time over plastic. Oh, and dont get me started on Italian, and Swedish plastic( Volvo).....Well, I guess Italians can make decent plastics, like Acerbis stuff.

Someone here stated"Real motorcycles are not made of plastic"  I agree! ;D
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 04:07:35 PM »
I hate chrome plated plastic, that stuff just sucks!  I say this as I look at the bubbling .peeling chrome plastic on the front grill of my F-150, and the bubbling ,peeling chrome plastic on the trunk  trim on my Goldwing. You cant do anything with that crap once it starts to go.
Plastics also dont do well in this Arizona sun, it really eats em up. Give me metal any time over plastic. Oh, and dont get me started on Italian, and Swedish plastic( Volvo).....Well, I guess Italians can make decent plastics, like Acerbis stuff.

Someone here stated"Real motorcycles are not made of plastic"  I agree! ;D
Rick.

That was my sig line for a couple years.  'nuff said.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 04:15:39 PM »

My MZ 660 Tour has plastic tank, side panels, fenders, chain cover and weighs about 400#.  Best handling bike I've ever ridden and get's 65 mpg.  :BEER:   Never heard of a polyester mite.   ???

My maxi-scooters are covered w/plastic and none of them are light.  Can't imagine what they'd weigh w/o plastic.  ~;

Well, that blows your hypothesis of "plastic makes your MC lighter" out of the water, then doesn't it?  ;) ;D
Charlie

andrewdonald1

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 04:25:07 PM »
I don't think there's a question in the general populous as to whether they would prefer plastic over metal if there were no perceived performance trade offs.

It would be great if we got back to metal, but I am not sure that's going to happen anytime soon.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 04:58:59 PM »
I like metal for its feel, but in reality, plastic seems far more practicle.  My 1984 v65sp has plastic fenders, the fronts are still utterly perfect, the rear did suffer a stress crack, but I was able to fix it with a 1/16 hole before the crack.  But considering the bike is is 31 years onld and the plastic looks next to new, I don't see a problem.  My 07 Breva has plastic everything, and it all seems to be standing up just fine, tank looks great!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 05:02:06 PM »
I was going to say cool story.....

Then I realised its winter over there, still pretty cold currently?

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 05:14:07 PM »
Although my Guzzis do have plastic fenders I'll vote metal. Geez, I'm not running Moto GP here. A few pounds won't effect my 2 or 300 mile day of corner carving. If I was that worried I'd be taking my dog for a walk instead of typing about this and having a beer :BEER:

My  '06 Tiger has a plastic tank and has never shown any sign of deformity. Maybe Tiawan has a better idea?

JS
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 06:20:54 PM »
I like the metal tank on my 2013 Stone .The plastic tank on my previous Classic never seemed right expecially after it deformed and had to be replaced.I got tired of people knocking on it with a knuckle and asking. I'm OK with the fenders and all being plastic. I have Saturn cars and always thought the plastic on them was a good thing.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 06:36:13 PM »
Well, that blows your hypothesis of "plastic makes your MC lighter" out of the water, then doesn't it?  ;) ;D

Naw, the MZ would weigh more w/o the plastic.  :P...as would the maxi-scooters.

I have 8 MCs & scooters....6 of them have plastic gas tanks and none of those tanks have given me any problems.  :BEER:  Your results may vary.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 06:45:31 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 11:42:14 PM »
Whatever happened to those 305cc Honda Dreams with the pink plastic fenders.

How we sneered at those back in the 60s ???

Roy:  I worked for Heyser Honda, Laurel, MD from 1965-70 and assembled more than a few "Dreams" (CA-72 for the early 250s and CA-77 for the 305s) and not one had plastic fenders.  They all had color matched pressed steel frames and fenders.  I recall the fenders especially well as they were bolted directly to the pressed steel fork (leading link) housings with 6mm (10mm heads) bolts and the holes in the fenders rarely lined up with the holes in the fork housings.  These were the times I wished the fenders were plastic so I could bend them into alignment!

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 12:10:50 AM »
Fiberglass  ;D

Dusty

Penderic

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 07:09:11 PM »
I think inflatable parts are vastly underrated!

;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 07:13:55 PM by Penderic »

Offline lrutt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 08:25:48 AM »
My old Triumphs and Norton are ALL metal and they sure aren't heavy. Probably the lightest bikes I have for the street.

Much prefer metal thank you.

Regarding weight...if it doesn't serve a function then get rid of it. Too much form over function is what adds the weight.

My new triumph scrambler is unvelievably heavy for what it is, bit I think it would total a car out and still be able to ride away.
06 HD Sporty, 06 Tri Scram, 01 Duc M900, 01 Hon XR650L, 94 HD Heritage, 88 Hon Hawk GT, 84 Yam Virago, 82 Hon C70, 78 Hon CB750k w/sidecar, 76 Hon CB750k, 77 Guzzi Lemans, 73 Norton 850, 73 Hon Z50, 71 Tri Trophy, 70 Tri Tiger, 70 Hon CT90, 71 Yam RT1 360, 65 Hon 305 Dream, 70 Suz T250, 64 Hon CT200

Offline Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 06:16:45 PM »
plastic shifter bushings?! ACK!

sgtstinky

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 06:27:54 AM »
plastic bikes just seem soulless, the more metal the greater the connection between rider and bike for me.

Penderic

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 07:37:49 AM »
I like metal parts too.  ;-T

There are times though, you want some of the parts you come in contact with, to be soft and padded and break off to prevent more damage in the case of an accident.

Remember before air bags? Seat belts were for sissies.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2015, 11:55:57 AM »
I'll bet those BMW Isetta cars were an instant coffin if you hit something in front of you.  :'(  :+=copcar  Heard VW beetles were like that too.   :+=copcar

Volvo was the 1st car Co. to have lap seat belts in 1959.  ;)  I had a PV544 in `61.  It also had a built in curtain pulled by a chain for cold weather to block off the radiator as needed.  8)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 12:02:40 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here