Author Topic: Why sometimes your dealer does not want to diagnose your problem over the phone.  (Read 18854 times)

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
Let me start this with the point that we do welcome phone calls and are here to try and help people with the problems they are experiencing with there motorcycles. But sometimes things just get a little to much.

This owner of this particular machine haunted us for a while with erratic running and charging problems. Would not bring the bike to the shop for us to help because he knew he could figure it out. He didn't want to have to pay a dealer to fix it because they were a rip-off.

Well when he finally decided to sell this P.O.S. because he could not get it to run and charge right, this is what we found once we finally put it on the bench. All of the ground wires are loosely tied together with bailing wire. Not one or two, but the whole blasted bundle.

I post this on behalf of every dealer or mechanic who has attempted to diagnose a problem over the phone when the home mechanic has checked everything and it is perfect. Oh the stories we could pass along. Just had to share.
More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
"Labor rates"
$50 per hour
$75 if you watch
$100 if you worked on it first

:o

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
Been there, done that, by the time you've dispensed all the FREE advise, couldn't afford the t-shirt!   :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
one of the previous owners of my T3 really enjoyed wire nuts.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:35:26 PM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
When you get done with that one maybe you could guide me <by phone> on how to fix my similar mess.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

oldbike54

WTH  ??? :D I wrenched on Triumphs lo those many years ago . My favorite was " It won't run , but I know it is
that little black thing under the gas tank , Joe Bob said you had that little black thing and would probably give it to me" ??? :D OR " I know it is the (take your pick of component) that is bad". Me , "So buy that part and fix it" . "Well,I did replace it , the dang thing still won't run , but my (neighbor, uncle Bob , older brother) who had a MC 20 years ago said it had to be that part"  ::) :D

Dusty

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
Two zener diodes are twice as good as one! <shrug>
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
WTH  ??? :D I wrenched on Triumphs lo those many years ago . My favorite was " It won't run , but I know it is
that little black thing under the gas tank , Joe Bob said you had that little black thing and would probably give it to me" ??? :D OR " I know it is the (take your pick of component) that is bad". Me , "So buy that part and fix it" . "Well,I did replace it , the dang thing still won't run , but my (neighbor, uncle Bob , older brother) who had a MC 20 years ago said it had to be that part"  ::) :D

Dusty

99% of Bike forsale on Craigslist only needs a $6 part easily found on eBay to make it run or the carbs have been rebuilt they just need some fine tuning.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

oldbike54

99% of Bike forsale on Craigslist only needs a $6 part easily found on eBay to make it run or the carbs have been rebuilt they just need some fine tuning.

:D :D :D :D
 Yeah , or the carbs just need cleaning  ::) One of the other common issues with Brit bikes was the positive ground systems . If I had a nickle for every time this conversation happened " well , I hooked up a new switch and the dang thing started smoking "  ::) OR "electricity can't run backwards , you don't know what you're talking about"  ;D

Dusty

dilligaf

I hear you Curtis.  Repairing something the owner had "fixed" is time consuming and expensive.  Quite often the actual repair is quite simple.  When presented with the bill the response frequently was "I could have fixed that" and they are upset with the cost ::(.  A little over the top but all to often you think the person is talking about a charging problem only to find the problem is with the tires.   ::)  Both of you think you are talking about the same thing. Trust me folks, it happens.   :BEER:
Matt

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Curtis, that's beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing with us.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline pocphil

• Owner - ClevelandMoto
  • Hatchling
    • ClevelandMoto
Bless you Curtis.

Bless you.

Regardless of what any shops protocol is for dispensing advice over the phone, it will be wrong. It all has to handled on a case by case basis.

Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
Both of you think you are talking about the same thing. Trust me folks, it happens.

Do you sell frog insurance?  ;D 
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Vasco DG

(Ring.)

"Hello, Motomoda."

"Is that Pete Roper?"

"Yes it is."

"Ah, good. You probably don't remember me my name is Dweebly. We met at a rally some years ago. You fixed my Griso for me when it blew its fuel line off at the rally."

"Sorry, no recollection of that. Have you ever bought it to me for service or bought parts off me?"

"Well, I crashed the other day. Broke the footrest plate and gear lever and the rocker cover is busted but it won't start at the moment and I was wondering if I could pick your brain?"

"OK, so you'd like me to order you a gear lever, a footrest hanger and a rocker cover for starters?"

"Oh, no, you're far too expensive! I'll be getting them off ebay, hopefully second hand. I was just hoping you could help me get it going again."

"Have you ever bought anything off me or had me work on your bike?"

"Well no. Apart from that time you saved my bacon at that rally."

"But you want me to diagnose your problems over the phone, for free, and then you'll buy the parts off fleabay?"

"Well yeah. Your parts are at dealer prices. Much too expensive. All I want is some advice!"

"How does 'F*ck you, cockhead' sound?"

(Click.)

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
Fantastic photo  :D   It makes you wonder about this persons ability to make decisions about anything as he goes through life.
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
When I used to work on other people's stuff they'd come in with a comment like "you don't have to worry about the _____, I (pick one: cleaned, replaced, tuned, adjusted) it already so I know that's not the problem.

It always was.

In addition to the kill switch being in the off position, spark plug wires in the wrong order, fuse blown, etc.

I don't work on other folks stuff now unless they're a close friend, very interested in learning how to DIY and stay to help.

Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
My buddy Dan, owned a body shop and every once in a while he'd get a call from someone that was too busy to come in for an estimate and wanted to know how much to fix his dented fender over the phone. Dan's response was always the same, "how tall am I"? Most people didn't get it.
Joe Walano

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
(Ring.)

"Hello, Motomoda."

"Is that Pete Roper?"

"Yes it is."

"Ah, good. You probably don't remember me my name is Dweebly. We met at a rally some years ago. You fixed my Griso for me when it blew its fuel line off at the rally."

"Sorry, no recollection of that. Have you ever bought it to me for service or bought parts off me?"

"Well, I crashed the other day. Broke the footrest plate and gear lever and the rocker cover is busted but it won't start at the moment and I was wondering if I could pick your brain?"

"OK, so you'd like me to order you a gear lever, a footrest hanger and a rocker cover for starters?"

"Oh, no, you're far too expensive! I'll be getting them off ebay, hopefully second hand. I was just hoping you could help me get it going again."

"Have you ever bought anything off me or had me work on your bike?"

"Well no. Apart from that time you saved my bacon at that rally."

"But you want me to diagnose your problems over the phone, for free, and then you'll buy the parts off fleabay?"

"Well yeah. Your parts are at dealer prices. Much too expensive. All I want is some advice!"

"How does 'F*ck you, cockhead' sound?"

(Click.)

Very many people do this ALL THE TIME.  They're just not as open and honest about it as this guy is ...... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
Fantastic photo  :D   It makes you wonder about this persons ability to make decisions about anything as he goes through life.

No No No, I only did that to test it! ~;

Paul B. :BEER:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

dilligaf

:+1 Pete  :+1

These days I only work on my own motorcycles and that's a good thing cause I tend to forget to tighten thing up.  It's a Gizzzer thing.  Like the time the muffler fell off the ST2.  Marion dug it out he ditch and found some wire to wire it back on.  Her only comment was "I'm glad none of our friends saw this".  I thought it was very kind of her. But seriously I just make to many mistakes so I only work on my bikes.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
There's been quite a few times that I've been able to fix stuff myself or with the help of friends much smarter / talented than me.  That being said, sometimes it's just nice to have a known good mechanic (Joe W.  :) ) /  dealer find the problem / do the work.  So you spend a little $, big deal.  I'm good for pissing $ away any how on going out to eat and such.  I'm all for keeping the good folks in business.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:32:16 PM by Vince in Milwaukee »
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
Great post! All I can say it that you guys at Harper's still hang in there with great service and advice despite dealing with jerks. Your patience with me on the phone has been remarkable and very much appreciated. Keep up the good work. We love you guys. :bow
Bill

Offline StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
I love it!   ;-T Curtis  Thanks for the laugh.

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
Anybody who's fixed motorcycles for a living has his stories. I've got a few, but the one that comes to mind tonight is the guy who brought a Honda 90 into the shop I worked at and wanted us to check it out and tell him what was wrong. "It was running fine last summer, but we can't get it to start now." It had 0 compression. When we pulled the top end off, there was no intake valve, spring, collar etc. and there were no rings on the piston.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
That's some really purdy work. So......what's the bike, and did you get it cheap? I bet it's another one of those $1200.00 Jackals ain't it?

Thanks for all the good phone you have given me over the years Curtis.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
I think there was a thread a few months back about how dealers PREFFERED to talk to people on the phone.  **C
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
Not sold on this argument.  Called Harper's it was not friendly or helpful...wish I would have gotten the name of the representative I spoke with who was curt and rather rude.  Acknowledging that I was a newbie and probably asked questions that annoyed, i was not treated well...went elsewhere for parts.
'85 MG  Cal II, '03 BMW R1150R, '09 Piaggio MP3 250 ie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
I'll see your picture and raise you with this one..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

dilligaf

Then there was the guy who purchased his parts from the dealer up the street but wanted us to install them.  We did and he picked the bike up just before closing on Saturday afternoon.  But something wasn't quite right so he returned about 4:30.  Our hours are signposted and the front of the shop is locked and we are in the back having a few beers and working on the race bikes. 
We apologized to him and as the mechanic who worked on his bike had left for the weekend we asked him to leave it and we would get on it when we opened Tuesday.  He insisted we drop what we were doing and when I said no he left with the bike.  About two weeks later I'm served to appear in court. The dirt bag was suing us $480.00. 
The judge didn't appear to be impressed that the shop was closed and that we would have been happy to make things right on Tuesday and awarded the $480.  I said no, I would not pay.  After some discussion the judge decided we were only negligent in that we didn't use Harley sparkplugs or Harley oil.  We settled for $66.00.  Should have been $0.00.   :BEER:
Matt   

oldbike54

Matt , I didn't think HD oil or plugs were designed for beemers  ???

Dusty

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here