Author Topic: DMV . . . .  (Read 5360 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
DMV . . . .
« on: January 13, 2015, 04:59:55 PM »
I just looked at my new geico insurance cards.  My '04 EV has morphed into an '03 Stone.  A few years back my '76 Convert became registered as a '74 MOTO.  I learned the futility of trying to correct the paperwork during the Convert's morph, so the EV, which first morphed into a homebuilt will remain a Stone.  I don't really care anymore since it has three wheels instead of two and only the engine and main frame remain from the original. 

So my question -- Are my bike values going up on account of their rarity?   ::)   :D    **C   :BEER:  <----- mixed emoticons

oldbike54

Re: DMV . . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 06:11:59 PM »
Only if they morph into Moto Morini or Motosacoche , whether that causes an increase or decrease in value I have no idea  :D

Dusty

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 07:53:30 PM »
Switch to Progressive Ins. and they will actually be called what they are.  And it'll be cheaper if you're treated like I am.   ;)

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 08:33:33 PM »
The Texas DMV has my '84 V65SP titled as a Lario.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 08:33:33 PM »

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 08:41:17 PM »
Definitely get the insurance cards and registraition so they match

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 09:21:27 PM »
This thing is related to something I’ve wondered about, ever since I was a kid. I never could figure out why the Japanese didn’t get someone who actually spoke English to review their owner’s manuals that they sent out with their motorcycles in the 1960s and 70s.   So for years we were treated to hard-to-read manuals that did nothing to change Japanese wartime “stereotypes” of silly guys with thick glasses and buck teeth, and so we still read the old warnings about “evil skid demons” lurking in mud puddles that a Honda Benly might run through.

I mean, ONE GUY (and it could have been any of us in the 60s) could have hired himself out to review every new owner’s manual from Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki each new year, and re-cast them in idiomatic English before final printing that didn’t make them sound like the dubbing from a bad war movie; it’s not like it would have cost the companies any real money.

The DMV and insurance companies have the same problem.   They make up lists of motorcycles that they know absolutely nothing about.   They apparently don’t know that a Motosacoche and a Motobecane and a Motobi and a Moto Morini and a Moto Guzzi are not all made by a company called “Moto” and are actually different bikes.   And so they pass out these lists to the clueless clerks in their offices and branches, and end up screwing up registrations and insurance policies and making themselves look like idiots.

Again, ONE GUY (maybe it’ll be KevM, he’s already sort of in that business) could review these lists and classifications, and correct the OBVIOUS mistakes (and especially the ASSumptions!!) and square them up before they’re inflicted on the world and used to confuse people and cops and insurance agents everywhere.

But no, I don’t suppose it will ever happen.   I’m sure they’ve learned from their buddies at the Highway Department, the ones that “groove” the asphalt, and patch roads using “tar snakes”, and leave 3” steps between lanes when they’re paving roads … that motorcycles don’t matter at all and who gives a **** anyway, they’re just idiots on motorcycles, if they have a problem, they can get a car …..

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 10:09:24 PM »
This thing is related to something I’ve wondered about, ever since I was a kid. I never could figure out why the Japanese didn’t get someone who actually spoke English to review their owner’s manuals that they sent out with their motorcycles in the 1960s and 70s.   So for years we were treated to hard-to-read manuals that did nothing to change Japanese wartime “stereotypes” of silly guys with thick glasses and buck teeth, and so we still read the old warnings about “evil skid demons” lurking in mud puddles that a Honda Benly might run through.

I mean, ONE GUY (and it could have been any of us in the 60s) could have hired himself out to review every new owner’s manual from Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki each new year, and re-cast them in idiomatic English before final printing that didn’t make them sound like the dubbing from a bad war movie; it’s not like it would have cost the companies any real money.

The DMV and insurance companies have the same problem.   They make up lists of motorcycles that they know absolutely nothing about.   They apparently don’t know that a Motosacoche and a Motobecane and a Motobi and a Moto Morini and a Moto Guzzi are not all made by a company called “Moto” and are actually different bikes.   And so they pass out these lists to the clueless clerks in their offices and branches, and end up screwing up registrations and insurance policies and making themselves look like idiots.

Again, ONE GUY (maybe it’ll be KevM, he’s already sort of in that business) could review these lists and classifications, and correct the OBVIOUS mistakes (and especially the ASSumptions!!) and square them up before they’re inflicted on the world and used to confuse people and cops and insurance agents everywhere.

But no, I don’t suppose it will ever happen.   I’m sure they’ve learned from their buddies at the Highway Department, the ones that “groove” the asphalt, and patch roads using “tar snakes”, and leave 3” steps between lanes when they’re paving roads … that motorcycles don’t matter at all and who gives a **** anyway, they’re just idiots on motorcycles, if they have a problem, they can get a car …..

Lannis

Tell us how you really feel, Lannis.  :PICS!:

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 12:27:05 AM »
@ AZ Wayne -- I have Progressive and the V50s are listed as "Moto Morini / other model not listed". The LeMans 1000 is at least Moto Guzzi -- Other Sportbike Not. The BSA B40 is, surprise, a BSA B40. CA DMV gets everything right.

I've talked with Progressive on the phone and they have just said that's how it is in their system. So far haven't gotten stopped and had to explain the difference between a Moto Guzzi and a Moto Morini…
cr
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 01:16:48 AM »
  I still remember one page in one of those Japanese manuals that read, " Tootle the horn melodiously when a big festive dog obstructs your way."

Sound advice that except a Japanese horn did not tootle melodiously or loud enough.  It just sort of peeped.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 01:17:32 AM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 01:31:13 AM »
 I still remember one page in one of those Japanese manuals that read, " Tootle the horn melodiously when a big festive dog obstructs your way."

Sound advice that except a Japanese horn did not tootle melodiously or loud enough.  It just sort of peeped.

Hey, the Guzzi manual for checking the oil level says to insert the dipstick and "screw it up completely".

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline AMGeneral

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 05:03:48 AM »
Try explaining the vehicle, 1984 AM General FJ-8C, in my avatar to an insurance agent.

Still trying to get everything right on insurance card, and every renewal gets a bit closer.
2000 Jackal 62,900

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

"Just think how stupid the average person is,
and then realize that half of them
are even stupider!"
--George Carlin

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 09:36:37 AM »
About 12 years ago I had a street accident where a gal on a cell phone pulled out in front of me. Anyway, she was insured with Am. Family. Am. Family's adjuster had no Guzzi data base so he could not establish the amount of damage. He asked that I get pricing of needed parts and they would cut me a check. Gave them the list of new parts and cost, they cut me a check and I went shopping on the used market. Came out good on that one! ;-T
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 10:24:42 AM »
Agreed on Progressive. They were able to get it right. I had to call in, but they worked it out.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 10:32:18 AM »
ATTENTION LANNIS- China on line 1     :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 11:03:09 AM »
When moving to a new state, I got a title for a 1996 "Motorlift."  The title person who corrected it said that's the first thing that "moto" pulls up on the computer system, so if the clerk is not paying attention it goes through that way.  I just had to wait a little longer for the correct title to appear in the mail.  Dairyland insurance has always insured all my "MOTOG" with no problems.

Howard
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 11:36:42 AM »
About 12 years ago I had a street accident where a gal on a cell phone pulled out in front of me. Anyway, she was insured with Am. Family. Am. Family's adjuster had no Guzzi data base so he could not establish the amount of damage. He asked that I get pricing of needed parts and they would cut me a check. Gave them the list of new parts and cost, they cut me a check and I went shopping on the used market. Came out good on that one! ;-T
GliderJohn

I did the same with Geico on the only MC claim I've had in 50+ years of riding.  ;D  In fact the Geico rep. came to my home and I educated him on Moto Guzzis with my MGNOC newsletters.  Geico completely put me in charge of pricing of what new rims would cost for my CX100 after I hit a rock riding 2 up bent both of them.  ~;  Since I had tube tires I was able to ride home.  I could see the tube on the front rim.  :D   Had I been on tubeless tires we would have been dead in the water.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:07:44 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 11:48:37 AM »
Posted late last night and only looked at insurance card. CA DMV has Guzzi as MOTOG… which I suppose is close enough unless someone tries registering an old Moto Gilera. Five letters? If it's not HONDA it doesn't count? *Most* bike manufacturers are different enough in name that the first five characters are unique. But not all.

Regarding Engrish, Japanese-to-English translations don't have a monopoly on that. The Ducati Darmah owners manual read amazingly like Engrish. Long gone so no quotes.
cr
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here