Author Topic: moto guzzi firm ride issue  (Read 3827 times)

guzziv7fan

moto guzzi firm ride issue
« on: January 16, 2015, 10:50:45 AM »
Did some reading on here about people having trouble with a firm ride on this bike.

I thought the same thing myself and was going to throw big money into suspension upgrades.

By accident the problem for me is fixed.

My bikes with a total of 7,000 and some change miles is much better suspension wise.

What turned the corner for me was a rear 90 profile tire which allows more wall flex in the rear and then the racer seat which gives me about 1/2 inch more padding measured side by side on the floor with both seats next to each other.

Lord and behold the ride transformed into something closer to normal for me. I'm no longer getting that jolt up my spine on bumps. I can actually feel the rear tire taking it up. The front suspension is now working in unison with the rear of the bike.

I'm 185 lbs, so it works for me. My son who weighs in at well over 200 tells me the ride sucks. Can't please em all.

Thought the front was too soft but for some reason that with miles self corrected.

Everything on this bikes improves with miles.

I'm happy with it.

As far as the V7II, don't think I need traction control, ABS, or a 6 speed. I can lower the foot pegs myself.

Granted I'll never get a Cadillac ride out of this thing. Never did expect that.

My son who is 6'3" can't clear the jugs with his knees. I think he may be considering the V7 II if it fits him.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
Re: moto guzzi firm ride issue
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 11:57:07 AM »
Did some reading on here about people having trouble with a firm ride on this bike.

My Griso is pretty "firm", it was set up for canyons by someone who knows suspensions and I have learned to deal with it.   I'm completely clueless on setting up a suspension

The '92 racing bicycle I've lived with for more than 20,000 miles has no suspension and is extremely stiff.  all the better to do bunny hops @ 65+mph over cattle guards 

You learn to read the bumps and stand over them.  Just a little crouch is necessary.  With track bicycles on the road you learn to crouch and pedal like hell.

It's great that the suspension has loosened up for you, sometimes I wish for a softer ride also - when I'm not paying attention.  I just know I don't want the bike that has the "soft-as-an-old-Cadillac" suspension.

I've owned a couple of Caddy Eldo's with the feather cushion suspension.  I prefer my CTS-V with it's 'Ring suspension by far.  but it's rough on rough roads
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

LongRanger

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 01:32:24 PM »
Surprised your 6'3" son doesn't fit the bike. I have 3" on him and had no issues with mine.

LongRanger

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 05:33:42 PM »
Bike was sold last year, so sorry, no pics with me sitting on it. Inseam 36", sleeves 37", about 230 lbs. in full riding gear and boots. I rode many 300 mile days on the bike with little discomfort, but that was about the limit for me. Dropping the preload on the factory rear shocks made a big difference in ride comfort, with no discernible effect on handling. YMMV.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 05:33:42 PM »

Offline rbond

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 06:06:16 PM »
250 lb.s On my V7, lowered pre-load on shocks, got a add-on seat for a ATV from Walmart, and finally addes some foam cushion under the add-on seat where the dip is on the factory seat. Now it is almost normal and comfortable. Need to put on the handlebar riser to raise and move back the 'bars for a normal sit up attitude. The slightly lean forward thing hurts my wrists, then arms the longer I go. Right now trips are out, commute to work or errands only. My GT500 has a much better ride at the moment.
2012 MG V7C
1976 Suzuki GT500A
1978 Suzuki GS400C (long gone)
1973 Suzuki TS 100K (first new bike)
1969 Honda S90 (very first bike)

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 06:17:52 PM »
INSEAM is the key, long arm knuckle draggers with short legs long backs would fit.

Ha!  The quintessential Italian sporting motorbike rider of the 70s.

Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here