Author Topic: Best Place to Retire  (Read 58765 times)

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Best Place to Retire
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2015, 08:09:38 AM »
Oh but it's a very nice rock and I don't fly anymore, ( my arms get tired flapping ), so I am happy here drooling over scantily clad young ladies year round,
 Watching young fools on surf boards teasing tiger sharks, and occasional trips to the Kava bar.
 BTW my rock is more than twice as large as all the rest of the Hawaiian islands combined, yet is not heavily populated.
 I probably breathe cleaner air the anyone in the continental US thanks to the trade winds and lack of industry.
 Note, vog doesn't come to my end of the island.

Been there, all you say is true, can't fault it much, but I'm more of a Western Mountains kinda guy, not an island guy. Not fond of airlines anymore, necessary evil today. And even though you put all the other islands inside the Big Island with room to spare, it is only a hair over 4000 sq miles, Arizona is about 114,000 square miles (the county I live in, Maricopa, is 9224 square miles!) it's small. I'd get island fever way too fast.

I have a cousin that works in Kona now (used to work in Hilo) and we're over due for a visit; maybe we should do an extended visit instead of just living there...... it was a hoot shooting pics of the sea turtles.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2015, 09:18:54 AM »
I have a cousin that works in Kona now (used to work in Hilo) and we're over due for a visit

It really is pretty big.  We have always gone to some other island for the occasional island vacation, because the big island is too big - who wants to spend all day driving.  But to live there, might be my choice if there really are parts that don't get vog - which would make it the cleanest air in the islands, since the rest are down wind.

But to me it sounds like you could look at eastern Oregon.  Kind of a long ways from nowhere, if that's a problem.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2015, 09:50:57 AM »
It really is pretty big.  We have always gone to some other island for the occasional island vacation, because the big island is too big - who wants to spend all day driving.  But to live there, might be my choice if there really are parts that don't get vog - which would make it the cleanest air in the islands, since the rest are down wind.

But to me it sounds like you could look at eastern Oregon.  Kind of a long ways from nowhere, if that's a problem.

It's pretty close to Idaho.. <shrug>  ;D Nice riding and canoeing in Idaho.. the south kind of reminds me of SoCal, the north, Canukistan..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2015, 10:00:04 AM »
Claytor Lake, Pulaski County Virginia

We just built a new house on our property at the lake, had to tear down the old Summer cabin first though. To the right is the state park we're on the opposite shore.

Dean
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:04:18 AM by Dean Rose »
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2015, 10:00:04 AM »

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2015, 10:05:15 AM »
We're going to Lewiston, ID in June, that little neck of the woods (south eastern Washington) looks very interesting.

It is a bit close to those wacko's in Idaho though.....  ~;
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2015, 10:27:56 AM »
"Yes please, I'll have some bud!" means two very different things in Washington and Oregon, vs. Idaho.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2015, 10:55:49 AM »
Dean, will you adopt me?

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2015, 10:58:11 AM »
Dean, will you adopt me?

Yeah, just load up that garage/hanger you have with all of the tools and machines and come on down.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2015, 04:07:38 PM »
I really like Spokane in Far Eastern Washington, for about 8 months of the year.  Great riding here, up the road in Canada, and down south in eastern Oregon.

However, November - March mean very little if any riding due to snow.

I need to find a cheap warm place for winter that my wife would like also.  I am so close to becoming a snowbird.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2015, 05:56:21 PM »
Bought a remote tract of land last year in Montana.  Plan to retire there and for about three months during the winter explore warmer areas in the Travel Trailer.  Not a bad place to sip bourbon and look for wildlife.

I grew up in eastern Montana, tempting. Especially the western half.

Anytime use guys are in town [Montana] Gimme a ring...

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2015, 07:00:33 PM »
Idaho and Montana are nice places, I lived in panhandle Idaho for 5 years along the Priest River, but in winter they are ccccooold.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2015, 07:25:22 PM »
Idaho and Montana are nice places, I lived in panhandle Idaho for 5 years along the Priest River, but in winter they are ccccooold.

There is a gal we visit (outside of town on the lake on the north west side) from time to time. Probably will be up again next year unless I can bike trip up this year. Will give you a shout out if we able to do so.
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

hammick

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2015, 07:47:03 PM »
We're going to Lewiston, ID in June, that little neck of the woods (south eastern Washington) looks very interesting.

It is a bit close to those wacko's in Idaho though.....  ~;

Lewiston is beautiful.  Taking the bike?  If so, make sure you do all 99 miles of Lolo pass.

Offline brenwin

• Easy does it .
  • Gosling
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2015, 11:19:08 PM »

San Miguel de Allende Mexico

In central Mexico, many many Norte Americano's/a's, English is almost the first language, good access to Meds. Safe as the states.?!

Beautiful little town that is almost like living in SoCal/So Tx. at a small fraction of the cost.

IMO. :-)

BTW no place is completely safe.

EDIT:
 I posted this for someone that expressed a desire??? to retire in Mexico. Its not for everybody that's for sure. Moto riding in Mexico is better than good and is very moto friendly. Wx is great and people are friendly.

Thanks for this . My wife and I are seriously considering Mexico for 6 months of the year and this area is one we didn't know about . I sure like the good riding part . We are on Vancouver Island and if this pineapple express doesn't slow down soon I'm going to have webbed feet . Cheers .
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2015, 02:18:25 AM »
I plan to "retire" to Pocahontas County, WV. Won't need much to live on since it's only me (and will most likely stay that way). Just a little one room cabin and two-car detached garage will suffice. Maybe volunteer at one of the local scenic railroads to stay active (along with riding my Ambos, of course).

Pros of that area for me:
- 80% federally owned and protected
- cellphone "dead zone" due to the NRAO in Greenbank
- peaceful with beautiful scenery
- fantastic roads (paved and dirt)
Im curious Charlie, why is it a positive to be in a cellular dead zone?
Thanks Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2015, 02:29:49 AM »
Only place I know of where 90f and 90% humidity is a mild day... and you need a coat to go inside...
But ya gotta go there for the people, food and to understand zydeco...

Being from 'over yonder', I spent a few days in southern Louisiana the year before.
Plenty of Zydeco and the feeling of a warm wet blanket over your shoulders as you leave the over(air)cooled rooms.
Beats me how you guys ride motorcycles in the summer with full gear.
But what a lovely state, great scenery and friendly people.  I'll always remember the zydeco breakfast dances at Breaux Bridge, the French Quarter in New Orleans, the Atchafalaya area and many other things.
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2015, 07:43:02 AM »
Lewiston is beautiful.  Taking the bike?  If so, make sure you do all 99 miles of Lolo pass.

:+1 That was one of the most pleasant rides I've done.. just mile after mile following the rivers of the Lewis & Clark expedition.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2015, 07:45:15 AM »

Taking the F150, wife and one dog. Family reunion. Looking at the map, there appears to be some very nice/fun roads (although many appear to be more suited to my XR650L than the Griso.  ::)
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2015, 07:46:29 AM »
I notice that no one is singing the praises of the liberal east coast
certainly not me

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2015, 07:53:46 AM »
I notice that no one is singing the praises of the liberal east coast
certainly not me

As a Liberal living on the liberal east coast, allow me to sing the praises.  That said, I'd rather be living in the liberal northwest.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2015, 08:02:52 AM »
Taking the F150, wife and one dog. Family reunion. Looking at the map, there appears to be some very nice/fun roads (although many appear to be more suited to my XR650L than the Griso.  ::)

Throw that Grease O in the back of the truck. You'll be right at the spiral highway.. Idaho has some absolutely great riding.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Penderic

« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2015, 08:24:52 AM »
Some place with a Mediterranean climate and Room Service! :BEER:

And where lots of nice interesting people come to visit and to have a pleasant time.

Oh look. Here comes the neighborhood!  :D

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2015, 08:56:02 AM »
As a Liberal living on the liberal east coast, allow me to sing the praises.  That said, I'd rather be living in the liberal northwest.

So YOU'RE the one!   :D

Lannis (living in the conservative Piedmont of Virginia)
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2015, 09:12:30 AM »
If I have a choice (my wife disagrees) it is the high deserts of Oregon for me, specifically Lakeview. High enough in elev to be cool in the summer. 325+ days of sunshine, a short ride into the Sacramento Valley where it is usually warm in the winter.
Gail and I are only 7 short years from pulling the plug. Looking at a lot of different options.

Bill Lovelady               IS
Eskimo Spy
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:31:50 PM by travelingbyguzzi »
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2015, 09:51:30 AM »
If I have a choice (my wife disagrees) it is the high deserts of Oregon for me, specifically Lakeview. High enough in elev to be cool in the winter. 325+ days of sunshine, a short ride into the Sacramento Valley where it is usually warm in the winter.
Gail and I are only 7 short years from pulling the plug. Looking at a lot of different options.

Bill Lovelady               IS
Eskimo Spy

As I said at first, I’ll be where the grandchildren are.

But if that were not a criteria, here’s where I’d retire to.   A motorcycling paradise.

These kinds of roads are everywhere …

Leading to these kinds of places – nobody there but you.

This 300-year-old house would be about 250,000 pounds, so I’d have to sell out here to buy it, but living is reasonable once you’re there.

See the little white stone patio at the left side of the house?   You can set up your chairs and grill and cooler RIGHT there and watch the racers coming by on the TT Mountain Course 10 feet away from you ….

Can’t imagine a better place to enjoy that kind of life!

Lannis
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:52:58 AM by Lannis »

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2015, 10:02:39 AM »
This 300-year-old house would be about 250,000 pounds, so I’d have to sell out here to buy it, but living is reasonable once you’re there.

I would have guessed the house to weigh more than that........ ;D

I dunno, those dam noisy motorbike riders whizzing by......

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2015, 10:07:17 AM »

I would have guessed the house to weigh more than that........ ;D

I dunno, those dam noisy motorbike riders whizzing by......

kjf

My crippled, illiterate old version of Word has no "GBP" symbol, I can't select "Alt-411" on the NUM pad on this MAC keyboard, and the noisy motorbikes only come whizzing by 4 weeks out of the year ..... so it's really a pretty good deal!

Lannis

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »
Where I want to retire is in a little by California standards 950 sf house with a 2,400 sf garage - shop - man cave.  I have lots of "hobbies" and each needs it's proper space

Right now in Folsom, Ca., what you need for city life is close (Hospital care, supermarkets, hardware, factory stores) it's just so dammed expensive and being a construction worker I'm more of a Country Boy.  What good is it if you're just going to sit around and watch TV?

I'm not sure being near Hospital care is such a good idea.  After watching my father suffer for more than a year I'll take a long walk in the snow with a good bottle of scotch.

My fly fishing mentor - buddy moved to Medford Oregon to be near the Steelheads.  I've float/fished the Deschutes Hex hatch and love the Eastern Oregon area.  Good hunting, fishing and fewer people.

All my kids are within a couple of hours of me but I might see them more if I lived in a more desirable destination.

My brother-in-law from the Santa Rosa wine area has fallen in love with Montana and wants me to join him there.  Maybe I could build a small barn-shop living arrangement there.

To many options ....

I wonder how Stone County Arkansas is .... Family left in the 30's due to a little problem with the Reveneuers being after Granddad and Greatgranddad
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline brenwin

• Easy does it .
  • Gosling
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2015, 11:53:27 AM »
Some place with a Mediterranean climate and Room Service! :BEER:

And where lots of nice interesting people come to visit and to have a pleasant time.

Oh look. Here comes the neighborhood!  :D

Awesome !!!
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2015, 11:57:42 AM »
Oh if  I had more money than brains (Cindy says that's true now) I could live in Italy. Although learning a second language now might be a bit much.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here