Author Topic: Guzzi mechanic in central Iowa?  (Read 5218 times)

BBoh21

Guzzi mechanic in central Iowa?
« on: February 03, 2015, 09:51:08 AM »
Hey guys, strongly considering getting a V7 here in a few months. The only thing that is worrisome to me is that the nearest dealer is in Omaha, a couple hours away from me. I'm located in Des Moines, IA. For buying the bike that's not an issue, I'll easily make that drive to get my hands on one, but if there's any issues that are above my abilities in which I'd have to take it into a mechanic, I'm not sure what my options would be. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:25:29 PM by BBoh21 »

Bill Hagan

Re: Guzzi mechanic is central Iowa?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 10:48:10 AM »
Whoa.  You are 24?  Do you have a hall pass to be here?   ;D

Seriously, always great to see young Guzzisti. 

You got some info in response to your intro post; you might scroll to see those names of Guzzisti near you.

Stormtruck is in Mechanicsville and is a skilled wrench.

I am not sure sure if Ned's Guzzi shop is still around, but think that was a (very small) dealership of the informal sort until a couple of years ago.  Even if no longer a dealer, the shop might still be open and certainly has some Guzzi experience.

That said, when I was (pleasantly) exiled in the QC 2011 - 2013, I went to Jim Barron at Rose Farm Classics http://www.rosefarmclassics.com in Woodstock, Illinois.  That's obviously farther than Omaha, but "only" 300 miles from you; besides, who wants to see Nebraska?    :)

But Woodstock is a nice day ride, especially as you can take in the Driftless hills and roads -- and Jim is not only a wrench, but an artist of the marque.  So impressed with his servicing of my Norge, I bought my Griso from him, too. 

And, even better (well, for an Old Flatulent such as myself; less compelling for whippersnappers such as yourself   :D) in Woodstock one can sit on the very bench that cradled Andie MacDowell's derriere in "Groundhog Day."   ;)

Bill

BBoh21

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 11:13:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply! I ran across Ned's in my previous searches. It seems they are still around, but might've dropped Guzzi, I might call them to see what's going on there. Unfortunately Riverside is about the same distance as Omaha from me. On the positive, it's just a short jaunt south of my alma matter, University of Iowa, so I'd be more inclined to head out in that direction, as any reason to visit Iowa City is always encouraged.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 11:37:30 AM »
Jim is Ned's son and you'll not find a better more fair person to deal with.. If they don't sell new Guzzi's now he'd still be a great place to have service done.. and he will gladly talk you thru any problems over the phone. One of the good guys..
and Elkader Iowa has one of the best Guzzi rally's, see you there!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 11:37:30 AM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 11:50:51 AM »
Jim is Ned's son and you'll not find a better more fair person to deal with.. If they don't sell new Guzzi's now he'd still be a great place to have service done.. and he will gladly talk you thru any problems over the phone. One of the good guys..
and Elkader Iowa has one of the best Guzzi rally's, see you there!

Yeah, Jim is a nice guy, and knowledgeable.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 01:10:04 PM »
I would not rely on Ned's for service.  I stopped there on my road trip through the Midwest this past Summer, with a clutch that was slipping badly.  The store looked like The Shop that Time Forgot. There were a few dusty used bikes of various makes, some odds and ends in the old, yellowed display cases, a handfull of forlorn jackets on a four-way stand, and no customers. 

Desperate to avoid a breakdown thousands of miles from home, and with Stormtruck offering to put me up for the duration, I asked Jim to repair my clutch.  I would order the parts online for overnight delivery; he would do the labor and could name his price.  He refused the work.  Instead, he fiddled with loading the clutch plates to "clean" them, then offered, "You'll probably make it home."  (The bike came to a complete stop in the middle of nowhere, Kentucky.)

Ned's may have been a good shop back in the day, and Jim might have been a good resource for Guzzi service, but my experience suggests that those days are long past.

"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline TDF

• Gosling
Re: Guzzi mechanic in central Iowa?
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 06:11:49 PM »
A lot of people would kill to have a Guzzi dealer as close as you have them to you.  If you're fairly handy, and any kind of a wrench at all you'll be able to handle most everything.  Welcome aboard.

TDF
2000 V11 Sport
2002 MV Agusta F4 750
2000 KTM 640 Duke II
1966 Ducati Sebring 350
1965 Ducati Bronco 125
1958 MDS Super Dart 70
1966 Honda CL77
1949 Ariel VB 600
1983 Husqvarna WR430
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star
1973 Suzuki TS125
68 & 73 CT90's
Plus a whole herd of parts bikes
Emerald NE

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 06:59:21 PM »
I would not rely on Ned's for service.  I stopped there on my road trip through the Midwest this past Summer, with a clutch that was slipping badly.  The store looked like The Shop that Time Forgot. There were a few dusty used bikes of various makes, some odds and ends in the old, yellowed display cases, a handfull of forlorn jackets on a four-way stand, and no customers. 

Desperate to avoid a breakdown thousands of miles from home, and with Stormtruck offering to put me up for the duration, I asked Jim to repair my clutch.  I would order the parts online for overnight delivery; he would do the labor and could name his price.  He refused the work.  Instead, he fiddled with loading the clutch plates to "clean" them, then offered, "You'll probably make it home."  (The bike came to a complete stop in the middle of nowhere, Kentucky.)

Ned's may have been a good shop back in the day, and Jim might have been a good resource for Guzzi service, but my experience suggests that those days are long past.
sorry to hear that.. what month? could he have been preoccupied with the rally or something else?
what's the rest of the story? did you get it fixed in KY and keep on the trip? sounds like the clutch push rod seals failed.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 09:44:30 PM »
sorry to hear that.. what month? could he have been preoccupied with the rally or something else?
what's the rest of the story? did you get it fixed in KY and keep on the trip? sounds like the clutch push rod seals failed.

It was end of May / beginning of June.  I have no idea what was up with Jimmy, but from what I saw, he was not preoccupied with anything; he just didn't want to work on my bike.  I gave him no cause to refuse me service.  Indeed, one would think that as a fellow Guzzisti, in trouble and far from home, I would, if anything, get special attention.  I can only conclude that he is no longer in the business of servicing motorcycles.

The story was originally posted here:  http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=69906.0
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 09:45:14 PM »
I know it's a bit of a haul for you, but I second Bills suggestion.  Once set up, a new v7 should run well for a long while, and when you nee service, RoseFarm can not be beat.  But it, call RoseFarm talk to Jim, work out a plan and you will be a happy Moto Guzzi Dude!

And realize it's a Guzzi, once it's set up and working right, you won't need to do anything but ride it for thousands of miles! :) :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:47:26 PM by bad Chad »
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 05:50:38 AM »
Jim at Ned's does not sell Guzzi but will help out any way he can and He Is A Stand Up Man, I'm in the same boat ( N.Liberty) you are but I'm learning as I go along, great advise here on WG, Welcome aboard and give a holler if your in the area ;-T
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

BBoh21

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 09:27:29 AM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Lots of great info in here. This forum seems like a really great community and I'm looking forward to being a part of it!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here