Author Topic: A little help please  (Read 6763 times)

Offline kemorobbie

• New Egg
A little help please
« on: February 03, 2015, 04:19:03 PM »
what can you tell me about this?  
http://annapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/4847402101.html
  Im getting old and need my feet forward of my hips.  I like the new Cali but im nervous about dropping $15 grand and in 1 year not liking the the position so this bike seemed like a great way to try it out.  Any issues or things to look for?  
  Thanks  Rob
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:35:33 PM by kemorobbie »

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
Re: A little help please
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 04:22:25 PM »
             no web page
           404 error
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 04:31:49 PM »
             no web page
           404 error

You left out the cow:

-------------
       O
        O   ^__^
         o  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\
                ||----w |
                ||     ||

When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline kemorobbie

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 04:36:13 PM »
Sorry  fixed the link.......i think :)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 04:36:13 PM »

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 04:37:41 PM »
Yes the biggest thing to look out for is the asking price it is about $900 more than I would even think about paying for a Jackal. Other than that there are no specific mechanical issues. Suspension and seat may need to be tweaked to your liking. Good solid bike just a bit high on the asking price IMHO.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:41:52 PM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 04:40:49 PM »
Link works.

Clean looking example of the Jackal. 

The seat should not be an issue.  You can rework it in any number of ways or replace it with one of the store-bought customs.

Price seems a little steep, but I'm a bottom feeder.

What are you currently riding?  "touring" and "cruiser" Tontis can be fitted with floorboards to change the knee/foot position.

Offline kemorobbie

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 04:47:08 PM »
currently no bike.  just sold a B1100 back in the fall.  Hurt my knees and didnt like how tall and heavy it was.  Never had a cruiser, had an SV650 and then a Monster 1100evo and then the big B1100. 

roam

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 04:48:21 PM »
It's a small world after all. I asked about the bike in this thread as well....
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=74482.0

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 04:49:30 PM »
I don't think the price is too bad, considering all of the extras.  The basic bike is a $3,000 bike at the low end, so negotiate from there.  You may or may not want all of the extras, particularly the used gear.

The stock seating position of the Tonti-framed California bikes is different from the new California -- the old bike puts your feet less forward and knees higher than hips (which takes some getting used to, and may not suit you in your condition).  However, with the aftermarket forward controls on this example, I cannot say how you would fit.  You will have to try it our for yourself and see.
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 05:01:01 PM »
I don't think the price is too bad, considering all of the extras.  The basic bike is a $3,000 bike at the low end, so negotiate from there.  

I'd start sub 3K. You can easily offer more money if $2,800 doesn't buy it. But you can't negotiate down after you original offer.

The extras are worthless especially the helmets (never trust a used helmet) and Craftsman jack will stop operating within a year. The cylinders leak and cannot be replaced or repaired for reasonable cost.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:03:46 PM by Perazzimx14 »
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: A little help please
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 06:03:02 PM »
what can you tell me about this?  
http://annapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/4847402101.html
  Im getting old and need my feet forward of my hips.  I like the new Cali but im nervous about dropping $15 grand and in 1 year not liking the the position so this bike seemed like a great way to try it out.  Any issues or things to look for?  
  Thanks  Rob
The Jackal isn't going to remotely answer your question about how the Cali will feel. Even the seating position is only a little similar (BTW I've ridden the 1400, and owned both a Jackal and a B11).
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 01:00:45 AM »
Some of the "extras" are not particularly desirable, such as the forward controls, the shorter rear shocks, etc.

It's $1000 overpriced, but would be all right at $3000.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Vasco DG

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 01:08:25 AM »
If you found the Breva heavy you will find that the Jackal is similar in weight, albeit it carries it lower. Forward controls I can't help with as they are aneathma to me but have you considered a smallblock if weight and height are an issue, which having had to pick my bloody Griso up again today I can fully understand!

Pete

(PS. When dropping your bike there is no substitute for stupid!  ??? ;D)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 09:11:51 AM »
Craftsman jack will stop operating within a year. The cylinders leak and cannot be replaced or repaired for reasonable cost.

Mine is still working fine at three years old. Used fairly often too.
Charlie

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 09:23:41 AM »

As for the foot forward of your hips issues that you cite.  I am not altogether certain that the forward controls are the answer but of course all people are different.
This Guzzi does have the stock set up also so that may help you dial in the comfort.

I agree with the other's opinions on the price however, the mileage is low, the motorcycle is clean and has some neat stuff with it.

All a matter of how much you are willing to spend for the right motorcycle for you.

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 09:24:50 AM »
Mine is still working fine at three years old. Used fairly often too.

You must have gotten the fluke of the batch. Myself, brother inlaw and several others have had them fail. All were bought months or years apart so it wasn't a batch thing.

Mine failed within a year where it was used exclusively to elevate my daughters DRR 50cc ATV from time to time. An ATV that weighed about 230lbs. Brother inlaws was used for a Yamaha 450 ATV which weighed around 350lbs and suffered the same fate. I actually bought mine after his failed and was forwarned. I thought he just got a bad one. Wish I'd have listened.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline GuzziPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 08:16:40 PM »
6 years of Jackal ownership and truly a wonderful, reliable machine.  But....the original seat for most, is a devilish form of torture.  I paid an upholsterer $45 to add as much padding as possible while retaining the original cover.  Much more tolerable, but I went one step more with a very, firm, thick sheep skin/hide.....that added yet more character to an already very unique ride, and allowed me 6-8 hours of distance riding.   The Jackal foot pegs will put your feet slightly forward of your body mass.  I am just shy of 6 feet, with a 32.5" inseam, and really needed a way to stretch my legs and shift pressure on my arse.  Harpers highway pegs solved that for me.  

Even found the passenger pegs quite useful for the occasional tucked stance; in fact the heel/toe shifter lends itself to shifting from those pegs.......so long as you think before shifting.  Probably develops crappy habits.....but I mostly used the tucked position during higher speed runs on the flat tops, that occasionally calls for an upshift to 5th.

With Harpers pegs (bolts in at the base of the crash bars) I'd either flat foot my boots,or, more often extend my legs out and over and rest the back of my boot on the peg bar.  Effectively, I used all 3 sets of pegs to maximize my tripping distance and shift off points of pressure.

I say go ride this machine, for as long as he'll allow.  If he has a 2nd bike, he could shadow you for a decent ride on secondary roads and the flat top.   Because the Jackal seems to have two distinctly separate modes, probably true of all the Cali's, in that it's quite stable at high speed, and truly capable in the twisties....even forgiving and at times willing to teach you how it likes to be ridden.

I sold mine, and miss it, BUT, am picking up its replacement for the National this June....another California, but with floor boards, a completely new experience for me, so I cannot make that comparison....yet.

Finally, as others have stated clearly: although a very nice, low mile bike, this one is overpriced, especially with no shield or hard bags.  And the bike lift is just hype on the ad, as any decent (especially a Guzzi) shield is worth quite a bit more.

Have fun on your search!

Best Regards,

Lee
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:23:29 PM by GuzziPilot »
2012 GT8V Norge {The Faster Color}
2002 EV1100 - Vintage Red
Y2K Jackal {sold} - Red

hammick

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 09:09:10 PM »
I'll sell you my well farkled Cali 1400 in May for 12k.  It should have less than 2k miles and service records.  I'll even pick you up at the airport.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:10:41 PM by hammick »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here