Author Topic: You're Doing It Wrong! NGC, yet.  (Read 7563 times)

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
You're Doing It Wrong! NGC, yet.
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:07:37 PM »
Send to me by a friend that's working on this poor bike. At least the starter button is waterproof. Feel free to add more pics!
Ken

Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
Re: You're Doing It Wrong! NGC, yet.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 02:26:49 PM »
So what is wrong with that?  At least he doesn't have to worry what he did with the key. ;)

dilligaf

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 02:38:45 PM »
I like it.  :BEER:
Matt

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 02:46:30 PM »
 Less than 15 amps AND UL approved! ~;

Paul :BEER: :pop
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 02:46:30 PM »

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 02:51:01 PM »
I'd want to see that the leads are placed correctly on the screws.  After all, there is a right way and a wrong way.  It would be a shame to put so much effort into using such a high quality switch and then connect the wires wrong.  Oh, and code would require both a box and switch plate....but we will let that go for now.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 02:51:59 PM »
Pretty oddball alright, but I'd rather see a motorcycle that looks like that, and gets ridden regularly, than a show quality restoration that doesn't.

Here's one that a guy on the triples board found in the engine of a bike he bought:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:59:46 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 04:12:40 PM »
Could you use a dimmer switch?   :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 04:20:36 PM »
Hey, if that's a mercury switch and the bike falls over does it automatically stop the engine? Nice safety feature.
BMW R1250RS, Ducati 821 Monster, KTM 890 Duke, Indian R1200R Carbon

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »
Pretty oddball alright, but I'd rather see a motorcycle that looks like that, and gets ridden regularly, than a show quality restoration that doesn't.

Here's one that a guy on the triples board found in the engine of a bike he bought:

Is that really stitched together with copper wire and then JB Welded?  I wonder how long it ran (if at all).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

dilligaf

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 04:44:13 PM »
You have got to give a C+ for effort.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 04:45:37 PM »
I'm really impressed by the symmetrical pin stripping on the tank.

Bill Hagan

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 04:51:52 PM »
A worthy post and good timing, too, as I was thinking about such art earlier today as I putzed in the Moto Grappa.

But there's more to such craft than the results.  It's also about how one gets there.  So, the pix in this thread reminded me that I should share the contents of my secret tool kit, sort of a “Bill Hagan’s Essential Tools for Guzzi Maintenance and Repair.”  I see it as eclipsing sales of Guzziology within a few weeks.  After all, Dave Richardson is all about school solutions, when what we really need are street solutions.   :D

So, today, after getting the (alleged) quick release on the Norge to work — actually, compared to the Griso’s, which remains sullenly stuck, the Norge’s came off faster than a 1970-era girlfriend’s … better not go there  ;) — I removed the tank.  

It was then that I began to remember how important it is to have the right tools ready when doing such work.

Within minutes, I used every one of these to remove and then retrieve various bits, pieces, and fasteners that almost literally leaped into crevices I did not know even existed.  

But I have now managed, using my talent, skill, and these tools to recapture (almost) every one of the little foxtrotters.

I knew you’d want to know.  And, as always no need to thank me.  I live to serve. ;D

Bill

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:30:41 PM by Bill Hagan »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 07:43:34 PM »
Is that really stitched together with copper wire and then JB Welded?  I wonder how long it ran (if at all).

Yes, you got it.  It was done to sell an H2 without having to actually buy a piston.  It ran OK for a short time for the test ride, but it took only a few miles after it was in the buyer's possession to start making an unusual noise.  He removed the cylinder and that's what was inside.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 08:39:26 PM »
Yes, you got it.  It was done to sell an H2 without having to actually buy a piston.  It ran OK for a short time for the test ride, but it took only a few miles after it was in the buyer's possession to start making an unusual noise.  He removed the cylinder and that's what was inside.
instead of chumped he was McGiver'd?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 09:11:01 PM »
Was it on this site that someone described finding a wood piston inside the engine?

And that the engine ran?   :o
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 09:11:32 PM by nc43bsa »
1990 MilleGT

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 11:34:48 PM »
instead of chumped he was McGiver'd?

Yeah, good observation FG.   :D   I'm not sure the buyer really minded much.  With all the laughter generated by that repair, it may have been worth it.  When you buy a triple, you usually you need to do a complete engine rebuild anyway.  I found it funny that the guy who did the "repair" did quite a bit of work to save the price of a piston, which even today isn't much over $100.

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 02:33:49 AM »
I enjoy seeing postings like this.  Makes me seem to have the Midas Touch, when my mechanical skills are rather mediocre. 
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Bill Hagan

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 07:51:56 AM »
I enjoy seeing postings like this.  Makes me seem to have the Midas Touch, when my mechanical skills are rather mediocre. 

Ditto, tho I only aspire to someday reach mediocrity in wrenching.   ::)

Yesterday, in particular, was a sobering and dispiriting reminder of my place among mechanical men: near last.   :'(

In fact, one of the reasons I appreciate my brother so much is that, because he is absolutely clueless around tools and engines, he makes me feel -- erroneously, of course -- as if I am an accomplished hand at maintenance and repair.  ;D

Bill

Erwin8r

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 08:32:15 AM »

Ditto, tho I only aspire to someday reach mediocrity in wrenching.   ::)

Yesterday, in particular, was a sobering and dispiriting reminder of my place among mechanical men: near last.   :'(

In fact, one of the reasons I appreciate my brother so much is that, because he is absolutely clueless around tools and engines, he makes me feel -- erroneously, of course -- as if I am an accomplished hand at maintenance and repair.  ;D

Bill

In the land of the blind,  the one -eyed man is king? :)  I hold the same position with my brothers :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 08:32:44 AM by Erwin8r »

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2015, 08:49:40 AM »
Bill, my junior high school shop teacher (wood shop) actually threw a large chisel at me and screamed "Never darken my doorway again" which pretty much summed up my carpenter skills.  The metal shop teacher (who hated the wood shop teacher) looked in to see what the commotion was and added  (to me)-Keep away from me and mine!  Probably why I became a philosophy major at school, and given the small pile of leftover parts after a top end removal and subsequent replacement on my Savage, my skills have obviously deteriorated with the passing decades. ;D ;D 

I like your kit, may I recommend the addition of a pair of forceps - can't tell you how many times they have helped my rescue little bits that have tried to hide in various nooks and crannies.  You mentioned your house has heated flooring, does the shop also? 

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 10:02:39 AM »
That was me . The car was a trade in on a new car where a friend of mines Dad worked for years . This was a large V8 from the 1950s , not sure how long it ran  :D

Dusty

Must. Have. Pictures.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here