Author Topic: Fuel leak  (Read 3190 times)

Cmr58

Fuel leak
« on: February 15, 2015, 05:27:18 PM »
Had a nightmare on Saturday which all started after a 50km ride, to find fuel dripping from what seemed to be the air filter box, over the starter motor and on the exhaust pipe. The bike could have gone up in flames but luckily did not. My bike is the 1100 Breva 2006, anyone have an idea why this could happening ?

During my investigation, I was removing the petrol tank and broke off the red connecting piece ! Grrr anyway after 24 hrs thinking I have to buy a complete fuel pump system, I found a supplier that can replace the broken piece :) happy days on that issue anyway.

Thanks

Chris

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Fuel leak
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 07:19:56 PM »
Go down the numbers.

Pressurize the system and visually check for high pressure leaks.

See if the tank is overpressurizing and forcing fuel out the vent system.  Check for crack in the tank, too.

At first blush that's all I've got.  But I don't have a Breva, so this is just general advice until someone who knows better comes along.

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 11:59:10 PM »
On my 2007 Griso, the fuel pump was loose and leaking from the gasket at the bottom of the tank. Check those bolts.
Where did you find a replacement for your fuel disconnect?
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:48:59 AM »
On Rosie, the "racetrack" around the pump sealing surface was far from flat. Snugging up the bolts (carefully) in a cross pattern fixed it.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:48:59 AM »

Cmr58

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 12:59:39 PM »
Thanks very much for the advice, and when the new pipe fitting arrives I will check those bits out.

I bought the fuel pump piece from gutsibits in England ... I will find the link ..

Cheers

Cmr58

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 03:33:02 AM »
Bit of an update on the fuel leak .... Well once I replaced the plastic spigot from gutsibits, rebuilt the fuel pump system, I started the bike up again and in an instant fuel was spraying all over the engine again. Well this was actually a good thing because it allowed me to find the leak straight away ! One of the hard plastic fuel lines has been rubbing and worn all the way through. So all I have to do now is replace the fuel lines, which I will probably use soft rubber coated with a protection.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here