Author Topic: Early V11S transmission problem  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Early V11S transmission problem
« on: February 24, 2015, 08:04:57 AM »
A friend sent me this email. I haven't looked at it, ridden it, etc. Just wondering if some of the gurus here have heard of this one?

Chuck
                   My 2000 V11 sport 6 speed transmission behaves badly. The recall has been conducted on it, but it still has false neutrals and whines like a bigdog in the 3rd to 4th transition, which I have read involves the 1st through 3rd gear tranny shaft...downshifts from 4th to 3rd are a damned nightmare.......... I have driven an early Norge with a 6 speed and it behaved beautifully, and I wish I could upgrade mine to work so well. The V11 sport website has about 5 or 6 various "fixes" and adjustments that can be conducted, and the Techs at Moto International said the tranny shafts have been upgraded since 2000,, as well as some springs and improvements in the shifting plate mechanism.... it's been a frustrating nightmare to me because the power delivery is so sweet I would love to keep it and tour around on it after I figure out a proper fairing snip
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
Re: Early V11S transmission problem
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:13:29 AM »
It is common knowledge that those early six speeds had issues. Especially 3rd gear. Guzzi replaced the trans on my 2000 Sport at 6000 miles. I don't know about upgraded shafts or gears but, a trans repair with the best components is only as good as the guy who put it together. My suggestion would be to buy a used sixer out of a later sport and make a lamp out of the old one. My $.02
Joe Walano

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 04:48:59 PM »
The v11 gearbox I have shifts like butter, so it can be very good, the stelvio carc box is not nearly as good. Mine is from a 2001 v11 le mans. It can be that Guzzi did multiple canges, but not all should be needed to make it a good working box. The cover behind the startermotor can be taken off, there you look inside. Might be just the shifting adjustment.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Vasco DG

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 04:54:29 PM »
The thing that is most concerning is that it's very noisy. I'm with Joe in that it will probably be cheapest to buy another gearbox than to fix the problem with your current one.

One thing that can improve the shifting greatly is de-blurring the cam plates thoroughly, these are generally not finished very well and can interfere with what is, when working properly, a peach of a box.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 04:54:29 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 07:04:41 PM »
Thanks guys, I've passed the info on. I told him that both of my 6 speeds were fine.. I'd never had a reason to look inside one.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 05:50:16 AM »
I just did the upgrade kit on mine ( new cover,shifter pawl, additional adjustment cam and banana link) and it shifts as good as my 1198 Ducati. Still no quite as good as my GSXR1000 but nothing shifts like a Suzuki box.
Well worth the $128us cost.

Ciao

PS...my 2000 bike already had the recall mod done on the gearbox before I bought it which I think was a mod to the Bellville washer shock damper on the output shaft, maybe.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:54:09 AM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 08:19:42 AM »
Thanks. Info passed on..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here