Author Topic: the beautiful minimalist '95 Sport 1100 spine frame build on Pipeburn merged threadfest.  (Read 9355 times)

Offline Dimples

• Gosling

I referenced this bike recently on someone's cafe post. It showed up today on Pipeburn with the complete build story.

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2015/02/24/95-moto-guzzi-1100-sport-moto-studio.html#.VOzN9ilH1FR

'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

Online JBU

• Gosling
    • www.joelurruty.com
I like it.
JBU

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Pretty cool!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
hope they saved the original parts, for the new owner

Wildguzzi.com

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
I hope they were able to build the bike from the sale of the original parts to a person who needed to original body work for their Guzzi.

Offline Dimples

• Gosling
I hope they were able to build the bike from the sale of the original parts to a person who needed to original body work for their Guzzi.

Regarding my own motorcycles I'm committed to originality in every detail. However, I'm also interested in the creative process of building a custom bike. Pipeburn and Bikeexif are great forums for those type projects.

In my experience the donor bikes have little value. Maybe because they have suffered years of neglect or were wrecked. The custom builders usually list any usable parts on ebay. If you are familiar with that marketplace then you already know that Sport bodywork doesn't bring much. Certainly not anywhere near the many thousands of dollars it takes to build a custom Moto Guzzi like the one featured here.
'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

crc

I don't like the seat braces

Vasco DG

(Tongue biting!)

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
Not near as nice as the stock Sport 1100.  Appreciate the skill and effort though.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Online JBU

• Gosling
    • www.joelurruty.com
I like the look of my original 1100 sport bodywork, but I wish it were lighter. 

The only aesthetic modification I made was replace the padded pinion with a cowl.

JBU

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
I like the look of my original 1100 sport bodywork, but I wish it were lighter. 

The only aesthetic modification I made was replace the padded pinion with a cowl.

That's what I'm talking about!  I think a Sporti might be in my future if I keep looking at these pics
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Regarding my own motorcycles I'm committed to originality in every detail. However, I'm also interested in the creative process of building a custom bike. Pipeburn and Bikeexif are great forums for those type projects.

In my experience the donor bikes have little value. Maybe because they have suffered years of neglect or were wrecked. The custom builders usually list any usable parts on ebay. If you are familiar with that marketplace then you already know that Sport bodywork doesn't bring much. Certainly not anywhere near the many thousands of dollars it takes to build a custom Moto Guzzi like the one featured here.

While you're correct on the $$$ value of parts, the problem with things like Guzzi Sport 1100s is that though a perfect bike may only be worth $4000 complete and the fairing may only be worth $$$ hundreds, they are exceedingly rare.  Once they are gone, they're gone.

The stock parts are worth more than mere money to someone who needs them.  To an outsider, I understand that this makes no sense.  But it is sad to see the loss of stock parts for a motorcycle that was produced in the hundreds, and for which the parts are no longer available from the factory.

I can see a customizer, who is expecting to spend $20,000 or $30,000 on a project not giving a second thought to what happens to a mere $4,000 twenty year old oddity of the motorcycle world.

:-\
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

redrider

I have noticed that my bodywork is serialized with the VIN. Not that I would change it except for the trapezoidal headlight front piece. That looks way better than the US version, IMO.

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
Not near as nice as the stock Sport 1100.  Appreciate the skill and effort though.

:+1

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
:+1

Hard to beat the look of the stock SPOT.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"

I agree.  It looks like a really nice machine. 

But, whoever penned the original bodywork knocked it out of the park, as far as I'm concerned:

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

crc

yes I like the stock sport I. I wish id kept mine. imo they were the last of the best styled guzzis

Offline Dimples

• Gosling
While you're correct on the $$$ value of parts, the problem with things like Guzzi Sport 1100s is that though a perfect bike may only be worth $4000 complete and the fairing may only be worth $$$ hundreds, they are exceedingly rare.  Once they are gone, they're gone.

The stock parts are worth more than mere money to someone who needs them.  To an outsider, I understand that this makes no sense.  But it is sad to see the loss of stock parts for a motorcycle that was produced in the hundreds, and for which the parts are no longer available from the factory.

I can see a customizer, who is expecting to spend $20,000 or $30,000 on a project not giving a second thought to what happens to a mere $4,000 twenty year old oddity of the motorcycle world.

:-\

I also cringe when someone chops up a scarce bike. But I also understand that many of the rare parts I've acquired had to come from somewhere. Aside from the usual sources I've bought parts (bodywork, seats, gauges) from Moto Borgotaro in NYC and Moto-Studio in Miami. With the dearth of Guzzi subject matter this winter it was worth a look. Notice that featured Guzzi employed the services of known Guzzi people like Charlie Cole and Mike Rich.

I love my Sport too!

'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

redrider

Before the V11 came home. Does anyone know what type exhaust I have on the sport? The PO had not a clue.

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
Maybe its the rare Borla system?

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
I have a Borla, not sure if it is the same as yours. It's too damned cold to go to the barn..

Doppelgaenger

The stuff you run across when searching for inspiration just blows you away sometimes...

Read the article on it below.

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2015/02/24/95-moto-guzzi-1100-sport-moto-studio.html#.VO_gcDTF91Y

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
The stuff you run across when searching for inspiration just blows you away sometimes...

The stuff you run across when searching Wild Guzzi can blow one away, too...

Merged.

;)
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here