Author Topic: V7 exhaust hanger bolt hole measurements required.  (Read 4063 times)

Offline ozziguzzi

• Gosling
V7 exhaust hanger bolt hole measurements required.
« on: February 25, 2015, 03:48:30 AM »
When I picked up the V7 Special it had a pair of noisy Pipemasters on it and i knew straight away that it wouldn't get the mandatory C of F required for the transfer to be registered, so I made sure that the orig Lanfranconis were in the box of bits he gave me.

I went to change the pipes over tonight but there's a big problem because while the Pms bolt on to the footrest hanger with a single bolt, the Lanfranconis are 3 inches below and have a flange with 2 studs on. So I'm missing the vital bits and will have to get a hanger fabbed up (the seller has lost the bits).

To clarify - 2 inches below the pillion footrest the black support finishes with a single bolt hole (13mm nut on it) and there is nothing below this point to hang the lanfranconis on. (with their 2 stud connections)

When I look at the Harper's parts diagram at - http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/2000-up-moto-guzzi-motorcycles/v7-classic-750-2008-2012/exhaust-unit-en-v7-classic-750-2008-2012.html
it would seem to be part number 13 but it looks smaller than I would expect. Also are these lanfranconis displayed - they show 2 studs

Part nos would seem to be 883297 and 298 but it's almost certain that the Qld dealer won't have these as spare parts so i will have to get some made up out of stainless.

It would help greatly if i had a pic of the hanger and the hole spacing measurements.  I can get the 2 bottom hole spacings from the studs on the muffler flange but it's the distance from the line between these two, up to the 3rd hole that i need. i.e I need the position of the top hole.
Despite it looking like an isoceles triangle , Malik (north Sydney guzzisti) is telling me that in reality its not and is a funny offset shape.

Can anyone help with a pic  of the Special setup and the precise hole measurements. I've blown 6 days of my 14 allowable days for the transfer to be registered so the pressure is on.

tks
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:18:30 AM by ozziguzzi »
2012 V7 special STB
Kawasaki Drifter
Kawasaki GPZ 500
2012 racer TTB
K75
SV650X cafe
W800 cafe
GB 500
Suzuki Titan T500
Honda MB5 (with a whoppa 100cc engine transplant)
Kawasaki Sherpa
CX 650 (2)
DR 650
Kawasaki BR250 (3)
DR 200
Honda Spadas (3)
Vespa Della Moda

Vasco DG

Re: V7 exhaust hanger bolt hole measurements required.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 05:01:38 AM »
No dealer, and I doubt the importer, will have them in stock.

I'd suggest using a couple of pieces of flat bar to make a temporary support to get it through rego and then see if you can beg or borrow some originals to use as a pattern.

Either that or pack the noisy pipes with some sort of crap when you go to get inspected. Sure it'll run like a mad woman's shit but they don't care about that as long as it isn't stupidly noisy.

Pete

Offline ozziguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 05:24:51 AM »
Pete,
have just been talking to Mal in Sydney and he made a suggestion. Go to staintune at Bellingen and get a pair that will just bolt up to the single hole. that saves shagging round making up plates.
Seems a good idea because if i don't want to run these lanfranconis, and if you are going to re map, then won't you want the pipes already on the bike that I'll use long term.
He says if you do decide to come to Sydney, then he'd like to see you and would come over to Bondi Junction.

Mal has those plates on his shelf because he fitted Staintunes but that's 700kms away.

If I have to, i'll go up to Nerang (to that great dealer, Paul) and rock up with both sets of pipes. If he baulks at the PMs, I'll just pull them off and slip the Ls on but they'll be unsupported !!!!!!!.
You ask - why am i dealing with Qld if i'm in NSW?  Because the Qld full rego runs out in 2 months and i want to register it there as single seater.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:31:21 AM by ozziguzzi »
2012 V7 special STB
Kawasaki Drifter
Kawasaki GPZ 500
2012 racer TTB
K75
SV650X cafe
W800 cafe
GB 500
Suzuki Titan T500
Kawasaki Sherpa
CX 650 (2)
DR 650
Kawasaki BR250 (3)
DR 200
Honda Spadas (3)
Vespa Della Moda

Vasco DG

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 05:34:09 AM »
All I can offer at the moment is to update the factory mapping if there is an upgrade for your bike, which I believe there is but won't know until I plug the tool in.

At this moment in time neither I or any of the other people I communicate and share info with have the ability to develop custom maps for the single TB MUI3G controller or the 7SM.

If I upload a new map it will only be relevant to a stock standard bike. It is NOT some sort of miracle panacea for all ills. Any deviations from stock will render it about as relevant to reality as the Shroud of Turin!

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 05:34:09 AM »

Offline ozziguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 05:43:25 AM »
quote "any deviations from stock..........

If i understand you correctly, then rocking up to you with a pair of pipemasters with ZERO  backpressure ( I can see lots of daylight through them)
is counterproductive. So it's STs or Ls.
2012 V7 special STB
Kawasaki Drifter
Kawasaki GPZ 500
2012 racer TTB
K75
SV650X cafe
W800 cafe
GB 500
Suzuki Titan T500
Kawasaki Sherpa
CX 650 (2)
DR 650
Kawasaki BR250 (3)
DR 200
Honda Spadas (3)
Vespa Della Moda

Online Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 08:54:03 AM »
Just a thought, it seems like you could make up something in a CAD system in an hour or two just to get you by the inspection.  Fit the LaFrancs and pile up some rocks, bits of 'roo road kill, whatever you have available, to get the back end of the mufflers where it looks like they should be.  Then get some scissors and cut a piece of cardboard and punch holes to fit.  Repeat as necessary until you are satisfied with the result and transfer the pattern (Cardboard Aided Design ;D) to metal and go stand for your inspection.

Howard
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:10:44 AM by Howard R »
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Offline ozziguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 05:37:06 PM »
Hi Howard

yes,  that's what i've done - made a cardboard template and taken it, bike and mufflers down to the local car exhaust shop so they can fab up some plates.
I'm a bit tempted to go for some Staintunes but they are very expensive $1000-1200. Will try the lanfranconis first but expect that they will sound pretty ordinary.
2012 V7 special STB
Kawasaki Drifter
Kawasaki GPZ 500
2012 racer TTB
K75
SV650X cafe
W800 cafe
GB 500
Suzuki Titan T500
Kawasaki Sherpa
CX 650 (2)
DR 650
Kawasaki BR250 (3)
DR 200
Honda Spadas (3)
Vespa Della Moda

LongRanger

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 07:49:17 PM »
This is the left side exhaust hanger off my 2011 V7C, which I believe has the same pipes as the V7S. You're welcome to it. This hanger was replaced with a different piece as part of the OEM centerstand kit. Apologies for my measuring technique, but maybe this will help you.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:52:55 PM by LongRanger »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 10:05:12 PM »
Then get some scissors and cut a piece of cardboard and punch holes to fit.  Repeat as necessary until you are satisfied with the result and transfer the pattern (Cardboard Aided Design ;D) to metal and go stand for your inspection.

Did a bit of CAD myself this evening to make the missing and unavailable chain guide for my Elefant.  ;D

I'm working with UHMV polyethylene though.
Charlie

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 11:08:45 PM »
I'm a big believer in CAD.  I have  almost entirely modeled my trike construction in cardboard and wood before committing to metal.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here