Author Topic: Right hand wave  (Read 18028 times)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: Right hand wave
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 08:42:19 AM »
Not much waving going on anymore in CT. Too many bikes, too small a state.

That's understandable.  In the Deals Gap area (Tail of the Dragon) riders often give up and quit waving.  Sometimes there are so many motorcycles around you'd be constantly riding one-handed if you waved at all the riders.  Where I live, there isn't much traffic of any kind, and motorcycles are pretty scarce.

People down here wave a lot.

Just curious, where are you?
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 08:56:02 AM »
 Waving , or nodding , or whatever method one chooses to acknowledge other riders , is an act of joy . Like saying "Hi , isn't this fun" . Just seems the polite thing to do .

Dusty

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 09:13:12 AM »
 I'm not a waver...I drive older Jeeps and some feel Jeep drivers need to wave. I never wave on my bike but will return the wave if I see it in time. I will wave on the rare occasion I see another vintage Triumph or a Guzzi... I am friendly with people when not driving...I grew up near NYC where if you looked at someone they came back with " What the F you looking at ?"

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 09:28:36 AM »
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 09:28:36 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 09:45:45 AM »
They may be,but at least I am not looking like a dufus,constantly waving at people who are total strangers and could give a rats ass if they ever meet me or not.I truly will never understand it.

Let me help, although if you've already decided that you'll never understand it, then that's that anyhow.

Here in our little rural area, everyone meeting someone on a back road in a car or truck waves at the guy coming the other way.   (A) It's very likely that you know them and (B) Even if you don't, it's a friendly gesture, whether or not the other guy understands it our not.   No harm at all in doing it.   VERY few people will think you're a "doofus" for nodding and acknowledging their presence.

Out on the highway, I don't see many motorcycles.   I might be up in the mountains having a good time on the curves, or bimbling along a back road on my way to a rally, or whatever.   But LOOK - there comes a motorcycle coming the other way!   Wonder what kind it is?   Is it someone I know?  (probably not, if I'm two states away from home).    We're both out enjoying the lovely weather today (or putting up with the rain and cold), I think I'll wave to him!

If it turns out that the guy has a skull mask on and spiked boot toes and a "get-back" whip dangling from his bars, I might regret a bit that I waved, but that passes soon.

On a 250-mile day-trip bimble on a warm Virginia weekday, I might see 6 other motorcycles on the road.   It's really not all that much effort to wave, and there's no "doofustry" involved ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

DougDoolin

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 10:10:00 AM »
So,if I enjoy being out in my Dodge Ram and see someone else driving a Dodge Ram,I guess I am supposed to roll down my window and wave? Or point at the ground like I see so many people on motorcycles do.Really?
Anyway,I won't wave and don't care if someone thinks I am an Ahole because of it.
I actually am a very nice guy who just doesn't wave at other motorcycle riders.
It is that simple.

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 10:32:36 AM »
 One can enjoydriving a Dodge Ram  ??? ;D  Wave , don't wave , has nothing to do with being nice , or being a doofus . Personally , being a doofus can be fun , life is too damn serious . Doofuses of the world unite  :D

Dusty

Offline Jurgen

• Hatchling
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 11:26:54 AM »
Actually I do wave at folks driving the same car here in sparsely populated New Mexico where there are probably 20 Porsche 356's besides mine.  I've waved 3 times in 15 years.  I also wave at Moto Guzzis with my left hand, we drive on the right here.
Jurgen

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2015, 11:51:24 AM »
I've been riding for 50 years and I've never waved. I never really understood the concept. I don't wave from my truck or car. so why on the motorcycle?
Jerry
Florida

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 12:04:50 PM »
Watching riders wave at eachother was actually one of the things that got me interested in riding, I liked seeing the sense of camaraderie between strangers that enjoy the same things.

To answer the original question, I know that aussie riders nod at eachother. When I told an aussie about how we wave instead of nod, the answer was that that was "wanky". But hey you can't wave when you drive on the wrong side of the road.

Here's a funny one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7tBHoq49RU

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2015, 12:05:13 PM »
I know what a dog means when it does that, don't think it would go over to lovingly here in the US.

It's not uncommon at the track and for sportsbikers.

Though, mostly used to indicate an obstruction to those following when used on the street...

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2015, 12:09:08 PM »
I've been riding for 50 years and I've never waved. I never really understood the concept. I don't wave from my truck or car. so why on the motorcycle?

Never been to Texas, have you?

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

oldbike54

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 12:26:05 PM »
Never been to Texas, have you?

Or Oklahoma , or Louisiana , or Missouri , or Arkansas, or ... :D Hell , the car drivers here wave at bikes  :o

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2015, 12:28:52 PM »
So,if I enjoy being out in my Dodge Ram and see someone else driving a Dodge Ram,I guess I am supposed to roll down my window and wave?

No, of course not.   Nobody said anything even CLOSE to that.

We're only trying to help you understand why WE do it.   That's what you said you didn't understand; why do people do it?   

Nobody's trying to tell YOU what to do, just trying to communicate.

Lannis

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 12:39:58 PM »
I think it is ridiculous to wave no matter what hand or wherever you are.

"do you stick your flippin arm out the window and wave at every person that drives the same model car that you have?"

No, of course not.   Nobody said anything even CLOSE to that.

We're only trying to help you understand why WE do it.   That's what you said you didn't understand; why do people do it?   

Nobody's trying to tell YOU what to do, just trying to communicate.

Lannis

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

DougDoolin

« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2015, 12:41:17 PM »
So what it all comes down to is this.
You do not have a logical explanation as to why you wave on a motorcycle, but don't hang your arm out of your car window when you see another car like yours.
Just what I said in the first place. hahahaha

oldbike54

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2015, 12:48:29 PM »
 Logical  ??? Riding motorcycles is an illogical act , so how does logic play into this  ???

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2015, 12:49:58 PM »
You do not have a logical explanation as to why you wave on a motorcycle, but don't hang your arm out of your car window when you see another car like yours.

I'm glad I live in a part of the country where I'm more likely to get "the steering wheel wave", than not.

Most of the time on the motorcycle, I do a version of the steering wheel wave, and just lift two fingers from my left handgrip.

It's just an acknowledgement.  Like saying "hello" to someone you pass on the sidewalk, or in an office hallway.

Maybe in the bigger metro areas this old common courtesy doesn't exist.  I don't know.  I make it a habit of keeping clear of those.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2015, 01:01:34 PM »
Back in the old days, driving a VW Beetle it was very common to get a wave from another Beetle driver.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

DougDoolin

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2015, 01:51:36 PM »
Dusty,
You got me on that one.
I guess there is no denying that riding a motorcycle is an illogical act.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2015, 01:54:52 PM »

Yep, hahaha, we're all pretty stupid, eh?   That's a good one.

Lannis

oldbike54

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2015, 02:02:17 PM »
Dusty,
You got me on that one.
I guess there is no denying that riding a motorcycle is an illogical act.

:D :D :D :D

So , is it then logical that we wave at one another while doing something illogical ? A form of recognition between like minded, mostly logical rational folks choosing to participate in this illogical activity .

Dusty

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2015, 02:03:46 PM »
Actually I do wave at folks driving the same car here in sparsely populated New Mexico where there are probably 20 Porsche 356's besides mine.  I've waved 3 times in 15 years.  I also wave at Moto Guzzis with my left hand, we drive on the right here.

Back in `61 I had a roommate who had a 356 1600 Normal and noticed that he and his brotherin' Porsche drivers flashed their headlights @ each other in  California.  :)

If I wave @ another biker it pisses me off if they don't wave back, so I don't wave @ them 'till they start the wave.   9 times out of 10 a HD rider won't wave.  :D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:10:03 PM by Arizona Wayne »

DougDoolin

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2015, 02:20:43 PM »
Dusty your making my head hurt.
Now I feel guilty for not waving. LOL
And now Harley riders get thrown in.
Not only won't I wave at them,I don't even look in there direction.
That topic is for a whole nother thread. hahahahaha

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2015, 02:21:48 PM »
As I said, I don't wave to anyone, unless she's hot. But everyone once in a while an approaching H-D rider will wave to me on my CalVin and once the realize that I'm not on a Harley, their hand immediately retracts immediately as if they are rescinding the gesture  ::)
Jerry
Florida

oldbike54

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2015, 02:29:07 PM »
Dusty your making my head hurt.
Now I feel guilty for not waving. LOL
And now Harley riders get thrown in.
Not only won't I wave at them,I don't even look in there direction.
That topic is for a whole nother thread. hahahahaha

:D :D

Sorry Doug  ;D Yes , the Harley rider thing is a different topic , although most around here wave . (The sober ones anyway}  ~;

Dusty

Offline Tazturtle

• Moto Guzzi - La moto la piu bella del mondo
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2015, 10:30:36 PM »
Yep, downunder we usually nod or tilt the head, occasionally a left hand wave - just not the low side salute the US brothers can do. Camaraderie.

Kurt
2012 1200 Sport 8V Corsa SE
2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

"Guzzi is about the engine. Guzzi's about torque. Guzzi's about enjoyment in the riding experience." Miguel Galuzzi

"The Guzzi 750 is what BMW airheads used to be.  Simple, direct machines for riders who enjoy the Zen of engines" Sign216

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2015, 05:18:30 AM »

That what I meant,the Jeep wave...True Jeeps have a straight front axle not that independent junk on the later MB influenced Jeep badged vehicles.

EVDavid

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2015, 05:27:47 AM »
  :D :D :D :D

So , is it then logical that we wave at one another while doing something illogical ? A form of recognition between like minded, mostly logical rational folks choosing to participate in this illogical activity .

Dusty

Catch 22, Dusty! :bow

DougDoolin

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2015, 08:26:50 AM »
Dusty should be a politician.
I ask a simple question..why do you wave at other motorcycle riders?
He answers it in such a way that now I feel guilty for not waving,feel like I should hunt down every rider I did not wave at to apologize and question why I don't wave at other Ram truck drivers.
This guy is good! hahahahaha

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here