Author Topic: Double Wall Chromed or Single Wall Stainless  (Read 5277 times)

190 Octane

Double Wall Chromed or Single Wall Stainless
« on: March 31, 2015, 07:09:25 PM »
My Titanium has cracked the weld on the left side front crossover.  Rather than have it welded just to have it crack again, I'm thinking of replacing the head pipes.

MG Cycle has double walled chromed head pipes or Mistral single walled polished stainless head pipe.

Double walled chrome: Right

Left

Single walled stainless: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_108&products_id=2578

Has anyone here used either of these?  Will the chrome head pipes rust?  I'd rather have blued stainless than rusty chrome.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Double Wall Chromed or Single Wall Stainless
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 08:00:34 PM »
Double-wall is much heavier than single, but it insulates heat much better.  It won't discolor as fast or far as single-wall pipe.  Single wall is easier to repair and modify.  The tradeoffs are that it radiates more heat and even the stainless discolors.  I've used both (have both) and prefer the double-wall (except now I want to cut some up and like I said, double-wall is more complicated when it comes to cutting or rewelding).

Something you might want to do once you've made your choice is to have the new pipes shipped directly to a ceramic coater.  They do much better work on new stuff that has never been dirty.  Ceramic coating will both reduce the radiated heat and keep the color (more) constant.  I had a pair shipped new to Performance Coatings where they were treated to inside/outside ID coatings.  Radiated heat is no longer a topic of discontent for me.

Also -- I'm getting some ceramic soup to start coating my own stuf fas soon as I can figure out how to gt it shipped -- hazmat and all makes it 3x purchase price to send it.  It doesn't ship any differently -- it's the labels for the box that cost the $$.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 06:45:34 AM »
I like single wall stainless. I don't find heat a issue, and stainless pipe discoloring is art to me. What I don't like about those SS pipes shown is the flange. It looks swedged, and basically like flared sheet metal, and I wonder about its longevity...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 07:03:45 AM »
If the crossover weld cracked what will installing new headers do ???
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 07:03:45 AM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 07:15:03 AM »
If the crossover weld cracked what will installing new headers do ???
eliminate the front cross over.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 07:26:02 AM »
eliminate the front cross over.

After looking up a pic of the Titanium I see the crossover is below the timing cover. I'm used to the crossover being under the bike and behind the oil pan.   
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 07:59:37 AM »
My 2004 EV crossover cracked early on. Welded it, and it now has 114,000 miles. No more cracks.
Some people weld and don't install the center clamp.
Your originals are double walled stainless. It will be hard to find anything as good out there.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

190 Octane

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 08:19:14 AM »
After looking up a pic of the Titanium I see the crossover is below the timing cover. I'm used to the crossover being under the bike and behind the oil pan.   

It still has the crossover under the transmission.  They added the front crossover in 2003 I believe.

My 2004 EV crossover cracked early on. Welded it, and it now has 114,000 miles. No more cracks.
Some people weld and don't install the center clamp.
Your originals are double walled stainless. It will be hard to find anything as good out there.

That is what worries me.  If the double walled pipes MG Cycle sold were stainless instead of chrome I'd have no problem buying them.  I have seen many reports of the crossover cracking again after being welded.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 09:24:46 AM »
It still has the crossover under the transmission.  They added the front crossover in 2003 I believe.

I guess if one crossover is good two crossovers must be gooder :BEER:
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

190 Octane

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 02:51:45 PM »
I'm going with the polished stainless.  I think I will have them coated, it turns out a good coating place is on the other side of Houston. 

In the mean time, I can throw on the head pipes off my Stone, as it is still setting in pieces half way trough the V11 engine transplant.

Has anyone here tried coating just the inside?  Some places say you can coat the inside of the pipes and it will keep the outside from bluing.  I'll check with the coating company and see what they recommend.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 09:50:25 PM »
My MZ 660 single has an all stainless single wall exhaust and I love it.  But if you want your exhaust to look like chrome, don't get stainless.  My whole MZ exhaust is gold colored now.  :BEER:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:50:30 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here