Author Topic: ignition switch tonti frame big block  (Read 6079 times)

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
ignition switch tonti frame big block
« on: April 24, 2015, 12:05:12 AM »
I've just about got my '80 CX100's wiring straightened out tks to Roy(Kiwi) and others, and as they cautioned me, the ignition switch is now causing me grief.
After I worked out the bugs in the electrical connections, I was getting intermittent power through the ignition switch,, able to trigger the relay for the coils by jiggling the key in the switch, but the headlight relay would only connect when I completed the circuit and was testing voltage from the + battery to the fuse box with my voltmeter probe.

After pulling/reinstalling the fuses and turning the key a few times,,, all of a sudden it started working fine,,, good power all around. At this point I checked the continuity from the + battery up through the ignition switch and back to the fuse box, looked good,, less than .5 ohms resistance,,, I decided that if the ignition switch was a bit flakey,, I should clean it and eliminate the problem,, big mistake.
When I pulled the switch apart,, it looked fairly good like it had been recently serviced,, but a couple of the sliding contacts were very noticably worn, I vaselined it and tightened it up,,, worked great,,, for ONE turn of the key,, after that dead,,.

Now when I test the resistance straight across the switch contacts(no wiring or other connections) I'm reading 3-4 ohms wtf? The connection for the power coming into the switch terminal 30 is noticably loose, yet I'm getting over 12v in the other 3 terminals in the switch.

All that to say, I'm reluctantly coming  to the conclusion that I probably need a new ignition switch and will be ordering more parts from the states,,, after some quick research it looks like there are switches from SD and Zadi available,,, question to members, any preference or opinions?

I'd love to be able to pick up a switch locally, if there were any suitable replacements that anyone is aware of.

tks
Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
Re: ignition switch tonti frame big block
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 01:48:18 AM »
It doesn't meet some of your brief but is an inexpensive option

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151224668335?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I read a few stories about replacements/rebuilt units playing up so good luck.
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 04:23:20 AM »
Really, there's nothing magic about the switch
All you need is a 2 pole variety
Wire from 30 on one side all the other wires on the other

Red is hot from battery goes to one side of the switch
Brown goes from switch to the fuses
Any other wires can be tied to Brown

The only reason for the other contacts is for parking lights, who uses that position?

Any old toggle switch at a pinch
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 04:34:38 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

canuck750

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 06:17:09 AM »
If it is the type of switch used in the V7 Sport - 850T and so on the type illustrated by earemike can me modified to fit the original cast switch holder.

pm me if you need pictures of how to modify the ebay switches to fit into the Guzzi switch holder, they work great!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 06:17:09 AM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 09:03:06 AM »
That looks like a good solution - keeps the same key, on that note you could just combine the wires on the park switch contacts of the original switch while waiting for a new one.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 09:52:38 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 09:28:49 AM »
The CX100 used the same igntion switch as "most" Tontis, not the type with the lock as on the V7 Sport.

All that to say, I'm reluctantly coming  to the conclusion that I probably need a new ignition switch and will be ordering more parts from the states,,, after some quick research it looks like there are switches from SD and Zadi available,,, question to members, any preference or opinions?

I'd love to be able to pick up a switch locally, if there were any suitable replacements that anyone is aware of.

I find the SD switch to be poorly made, the Zadi unit is much preferred. IIRC, with either one you'll need to change the terminals from "bullets" to "spades". Keep in mind any switch you buy needs to fit the hole of the molded rubber dash.
Charlie

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 09:32:51 AM »
Kiwi Roy gave me all kinds of advise and the best was to get a new ignition switch.  The Zadi ignition from MG Cycles fixed many of my electrical problems and it was easy to install.  Roy, I have three relays now!
'85 MG  Cal II, '03 BMW R1150R, '09 Piaggio MP3 250 ie

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
I'm so used to reading schematics I tend to forget that they are like Greek to others. I pasted a typical ignition switch below.
I'm sorry if I am explaining the obvious. I don't wish to be patronizing.

Right click on it then "Print Picture"
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 03:46:15 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 11:57:58 AM »
Roy, your words and help are worth gold on anything electrical, as you say most of it was greek to me,, but I am getting forced into learning more about electrical than I'd really like to,, one of the benefits of owning an old guzzi I guess,lol. If I could set something up temporarily, to keep the tuning work moving forward, until my new swwitch comes in, I'd be interested in that,, but I'm afraid to mess around with the ends of the wires,, because, I know I will have to put new terminals on,, and I don't want to cut the stock wires back any shorter than needed.

Canuck, I've watched your work with awe and respect, I wish my own talents could turn out such impressive mcgivered creations,,, but I know my limits ;~)

Charlie, glad to hear the positive feedback on the Zadi, that's what I ended up ordering.

Tks to all of you, and props to this group, for helping to keep these old girls going

As a Canadian customer, I have to give kudos to Harpers, when I called for a price, it was substanially higher than elsewhere,,, but I do like Harpers willingness to help,,, they've even made my previous request for a vintage bike parts customs exemption declaration a standard on all there orders to Canada,,,, all that to say Curtis Harper called me back personally, offerred to basically match the price at substantial savings and shipped it out,,,, can't get better service than that.
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 01:39:31 PM »
Where about's in canukia, your profile doesn't say
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 02:25:46 PM »
Roy -- did you feel bouncy this morning?

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 03:36:22 PM »
I've had problems with the kill switch on my III and SP.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 06:55:21 PM »
Where about's in canukia, your profile doesn't say

Hey Roy,    Right now I'm living in the bush in Quebec,, about 11/2 hrs north of Ottawa,, but I'm in the middle of move to Kinburn,, a small part of west rural Ottawa,,, I'll be rejoining the civilized world very shortly,,lol.
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 10:49:52 PM »
Well and good -- you can join Ontario Guzzi Riders where you get here.   :BEER:

ontarioguzziriders.com

Please feel free to join our discussion group.

By the way, how long have you had the CX?  I was going to buy one from a guy named Alan right at the ON/QC border a couple of years ago.  He had had it for sale for a very long time, and just as I was planning to drive out for a looksee, he mentioned that someone else was coming south to check it out.  Was that you?

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 11:34:18 PM »
Well and good -- you can join Ontario Guzzi Riders where you get here.   :BEER:

ontarioguzziriders.com

Please feel free to join our discussion group.

By the way, how long have you had the CX?  I was going to buy one from a guy named Alan right at the ON/QC border a couple of years ago.  He had had it for sale for a very long time, and just as I was planning to drive out for a looksee, he mentioned that someone else was coming south to check it out.  Was that you?

Cheers,
Shaun
Hey Shaun,  I've been through your site, many local members in the Ottawa area?, I always wanted to get up to the bash by North Bay, but between the old girl not running and taking care of my dog,,, I've never made it, one of these years.

Yes that's the same bike, I always wanted a Lemans,, had never seen one for sale,,, 3 yrs ago at Christmas there were 2 for sale near Montreal,,, I liked the CX in red better than the Lemans 3 in white,, and the CX was half the price, so I treated myself,,, it was an eventful journey,,, my (life line) plow truck blew up 10 kms before I got to Alan's,, we all rode home on a heavy wrecker with my 3/4 ton xtra cab long box pu on the bed,,pulling my trailer with the guzzi in tow,,,lol
She's a sweet ride when she's running,, like she's on rails,,, anxious to try out some of the farkles, new stuchi seat, k&n's, lafranconi's etc, should be bullet proof once I work out the electrical wrinkles,,, all of the wear items that should have been replaced, have been.

Lots of good back road riding up my way, if you ever head my way send me a note, we can share a beer and swap tall tales

ride safe

tc Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 06:39:51 PM »
Hi, Kelly.

We have a few folks in the Ottawa area, and more are always welcome.  We're up to about 80 now, and it would be great to get some additional activity in the east.  I actually did about 560km on the Stelvio today, and ended up in Havelock.  We also have a group ride there on May 17th, so if you have moved by then, perhaps we could meet in the middle?

I figured that was Alan's old bike.  He was a bit of a character, and I didn't think he was ever going to sell it.  Glad you got it -- even if the trip was extremely eventful!  As I recall, the fairing needed a bit of work on the left side?  I think you did well to get it, though, in the price range he was asking.  Well bought!

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here