Author Topic: What color should I paint my UniGo?  (Read 6194 times)

Offline Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
What color should I paint my UniGo?
« on: June 22, 2015, 08:28:28 PM »
I picked up a "new to me" UniGo trailer.  I'll be pulling it with my V11 Scura project to rallies next year.  My initial thought was to paint it green to match my 2001 bodywork.  But a friend suggested I repaint the green bodywork yellow to match the trailer.  (I have all the original bodywork.)

So I thought I'd throw it open to discussion.   Take a look at the picture below.  Any color has to match all the carbon and the red and gold details.  Then use your imagination for how you think it should be painted.

Mike

1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: What color should I paint my UniGo?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 08:38:10 PM »
that trailer is the bomb! really cool..wish I had one.
I'd match it to the bike color, to me it's an iconic green..
or paint everything bright white.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 08:47:36 PM »
Match the bike if at all possible. Or go for a metallic silver to tie in with the bike's metal work.  That way there isn't an issue of the right shade of green.

Spud
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 08:57:34 PM »
I have a Unigo.   Before you worry about paint matching I'd get them attached first.   :wink:   My Unigo has been on a Tonti Guzzi & Suzuki, but your frame might be interesting to attach to.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 08:57:34 PM »

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 09:01:12 PM »
Please don;t paint the bike , PLEASE .

Dusty

It's a Scura not a greenie. It's been repainted, but, a greenie with Ohlins, be still my heart.

I'd be interested in seeing the hitch.  :thumb:
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 09:18:44 PM »
I'm not a master of anything, let alone aesthetics, but please don't colour match the trailer to the bike. It would look like a lizard dropping eggs.
Secondly it would look like a Goldwinger wannabe. Nobody really wants that label painted on them ... do they?
How about accents of brickyard check on the trailer? Yellow body with black and white 2" pinstripe?
Do something outside the box. Something that says: I'm on a super sport and towing a trailer.... so what?
Not your usual set-up:  a golf ball, a skull would be predictable.... a tarantula might have a little more impact.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Vasco DG

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 10:37:03 PM »
How about pink, with big purple penises on it! That'll get you some attention. Maybe not the sort of attention you'd want but it would get you attention! :evil:

(Nice little rig. Why change it? Or are you saying you have another bike you're going to tow the trailer behind?)

Pete

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 12:24:21 AM »
I'm sensing many here don't know what a Unigo trailer is about.  Mine was made in New Zealand and I got it about 14 years ago.  Since then they were sold to a guy in Ohio who went bankrupt.  Believe it or not pulling a Unigo is like going thru curves as if it isn't there!   Even going over railroad tracks you don't even feel it.  It's the best of both worlds for corner carvers.  It can hold up to 100# and will never jack knife on you.  The scooter tire lasts forever and has suspension.  Until you've experienced it you don't know anything about it.  :kiss:

Vasco DG

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 12:46:15 AM »
Wayne, no issue from me. Of all trailer options I think the Unigo is the shitz!

Pete

Offline lrutt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 09:39:54 AM »
Paint it to look like an angry Minion chasing you. If you've seen the movie dispicable me you know what I'm talking about. Would be funny.
06 HD Sporty, 06 Tri Scram, 01 Duc M900, 01 Hon XR650L, 94 HD Heritage, 88 Hon Hawk GT, 84 Yam Virago, 82 Hon C70, 78 Hon CB750k w/sidecar, 76 Hon CB750k, 77 Guzzi Lemans, 73 Norton 850, 73 Hon Z50, 71 Tri Trophy, 70 Tri Tiger, 70 Hon CT90, 71 Yam RT1 360, 65 Hon 305 Dream, 70 Suz T250, 64 Hon CT200

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 10:25:30 AM »
Paint 'em in the 80th Anniversary "Root Beer Float" colors, with the "Guzzi" script.   Two of those at the National, and they were growing on me each day ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 10:27:07 AM »
I was on a K1200GT (07) and following an R1200RT with a unigo on the way to West Virginia BMW Un-Rally, think in 2008.  High speed sweeper in Kentucky, it went into a big wobble, he saved it but I gave him lots of room, till it settled back down.  We were running less than triple digits, but bent over pretty good.

We had two riders using them on that trip and that was the only heads up required.  They carried a lot of camping stuff in those trailers.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 10:46:09 AM »
Black, with some red trim to sort of match the red frame.
Anything else is harder to maintain, and may tend to be gawdy and over done. Well, except for what Pete suggested.  :evil:
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 11:06:32 AM »
I was on a K1200GT (07) and following an R1200RT with a unigo on the way to West Virginia BMW Un-Rally, think in 2008.  High speed sweeper in Kentucky, it went into a big wobble, he saved it but I gave him lots of room, till it settled back down.  We were running less than triple digits, but bent over pretty good.

We had two riders using them on that trip and that was the only heads up required.  They carried a lot of camping stuff in those trailers.

If your rear tire or frame goes into a wobble your Unigo will too.  It's attached to your frame and acts the same, but it's still controllable.   I/we use ours for all our camping gear and with the extra weight it's kind of like stopping a travel trailer weight wise.  You have to leave more room.  If the trailer is loaded, when you lift your bike from the sidestand upright you feel the weight of the whole rig, not just the bike.  Things to adapt to.  But I got better mileage pulling it than not.   :cool:   Must be in the aerodynamics.

If the Unigo is empty you feel nothing back there.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 11:10:21 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 11:25:42 AM »
These ideas are terrific, even the tongue in cheek ones.  Thanks so much.

I'll throw out one more idea.  The Scura has a lot of carbon on it.  Fairing, fenders, side covers etc. etc.

Instead of painting, I'm thinking of having the trailer dipped in hydrographics with a carbon weave.
Then accenting with a little color.  For instance: a carbon weave trailer body with red or green hinges and hitch.
I would not do it myself.  But my local rod shop dips wheels, hoods, just about everything.  Cost is a couple of hundred dollars.

For those who are not familiar with hydrographics, here is a short 2 minute video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgEjrtBprlo

Mike
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

biking sailor

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 11:47:35 AM »
I'd go red, like the bike's pork chop.  I does need to be "visible" for safety reasons, especially if in stop and go traffic!

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 12:04:08 PM »
Why not go real nuts and come up with a paint job that incorporates both colors in the bike and the trailer?

It's your rig. Do what pleases you.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Penderic

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 01:02:51 PM »
I like something with a Tropical Theme!  :grin:

yummy!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 06:28:22 PM »
I'd go red, like the bike's pork chop.  I does need to be "visible" for safety reasons, especially if in stop and go traffic!

You can't get much more "visible" than that Guzzi Green!   Red would be hard to see compared to that .... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 11:19:39 PM »
Black, with some red trim to sort of match the red frame.
Anything else is harder to maintain, and may tend to be gawdy and over done. Well, except for what Pete suggested.  :evil:
I think Pete's message went sideways after I suggested thinking outside the Box... Apparently the phrase was like looking at 'ink pictures' to him.  :)
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here