Author Topic: Budget Helmet  (Read 14621 times)

Offline Muley

• Gaggle Hero
  • A good day is when nothing breaks
Budget Helmet
« on: July 12, 2015, 09:47:43 PM »
I think my helmet rotted :sad:  When I put it on last week the headliner crumbled all over my head.  I guess 7 years is long enough to use any one piece of headgear, but when I checked the prices (It's a Shoei RF 1000, now obsolete) and know I need to order Suzanne a new one also, I started shopping for more affordable tops.

The HJC CL-17 seems to be well reviewed, has good features and is reasonably priced.

Has anyone got any personal experience with these?  I'm also open to suggestions for decent but affordable alternatives.
"My mind makes appointments my body can't keep"

Geographic Center of Georgia, a few miles from Jeffersonville

Q:  What is that ?
A:   It's a Moto Guzzi.

Q:   Is it fast ?
A:   No, 'bout like a Harley.

www.georgiapecan.or g

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
Re: Budget Helmet
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 10:08:48 PM »
I own this helmet for the money hard to beat its a rebranded HJC?

https://www.denniskirk.com/joe-rocket/rkt-101-solid-edge-helmet.p3302133.prd/3302133S.sku

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 10:25:35 PM »
kirk only lists small and extra small now.  I need to get a replacement helmet for my OL, who had a minor incident today.  No great harm done, except Cobra highway bars bent, and the helmet tapped moderately.  She rode home once we got the bent bars removed.

Any other suggestions?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 11:03:31 PM »
I think my helmet rotted :sad:  When I put it on last week the headliner crumbled all over my head.  I guess 7 years is long enough to use any one piece of headgear, but when I checked the prices (It's a Shoei RF 1000, now obsolete) and know I need to order Suzanne a new one also, I started shopping for more affordable tops.

The HJC CL-17 seems to be well reviewed, has good features and is reasonably priced.

Has anyone got any personal experience with these?  I'm also open to suggestions for decent but affordable alternatives.

I've bought several HJCs over the years, and they've always been good comfortable helmets.    One I wore out in about 4 years, one I crashed in and disposed of (noggin was fine) and one I gave to a friend who needed it .... I'd buy another.   I like the fit of the Nolans for right now though ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 11:03:31 PM »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 11:07:52 PM »
Muley, pretty much the same as Lannis' experience.  I'm using an older CL-15, it fits me better than any other brand I tried, seems well made after 5+ years of use and no problems, and was on clearance at motorcyclesuperstor e.com for $59.99, free shipping.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:09:35 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 11:44:53 PM »
I had an LS2 modular. Around 120 bucks. Was awesome. Had a drop down visor and all. Quite comfy for me. Chucked it once I got into a wreck. My head has lasted and in still riding. I'm using my shoei rf1100 right now. Ill get another LS2.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 11:49:47 PM »
I think Kirby1923 swears by these helmets(flip down tinted lense?) and has been wearing them for years.  He can afford any helmet he wants.  :wink:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 12:28:39 AM »
I've owned 5 HJC helmets and found them a good bargain.  I wasn't pleased with my Symax and replaced it with a Shoei.  But that's not a fair comparison. 

Hard to beat an HJC for the price and this one is Snell approved. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 06:24:29 AM »
I bought a HJC FG-17 last month. I have ridden in it about a thousand miles. It is the same as a CL-17 except it has a fiberglass-kevlar shell. Seems to be a decent helmet. A little louder with the shield partially open than I would like it to be. It is quieter with the shield all the way open than partially, but that is all subjective also. Peripheral vision is about a 6 out of 10 on the wavedog scale- better than some, not as good as others but livable and safe. It is a comfortable helmet, one that I can wear all day without giving it much thought. It doesn't detract from my riding experience. The finish of the helmet seems of good quality. My brother has a CL-17 and likes it and he rides a lot. If it fits you, and the price is right, you cant go wrong.

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 06:38:10 AM »
I've got an LS2 and it's the noisiest damn thing.

Offline Charles in Lake Charles

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 06:46:39 AM »
TOYS:
98 Yellow Centauro, 93 SPIII, 1978 LeMans,
1977 Convert, 1975 850-T (FOR SALE),
1985 Harley FLTC, 1985 K100RT
2001 Lees-ure Lite Camper,
1988 Mercedes 560SL

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 06:56:51 AM »
Glad to hear from you Muley!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline bouts

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 07:05:30 AM »

I have to agree, I have a HJC IS, very noisy, the shield goes up halfway before the first detente, and results with the bottom edge of the shield right where I look, very hard to ride with it half open.  Closed it is very noisy, you can't crack the shield just a bit as there are no detentes that low.  I had to play with the cheek padding to get it comfortable, still not quite there, going to go way up to a Schuberth next season.

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 08:04:19 AM »

Only when that top vent is open on mine so my knock on the LS2 is it is the least venting damn thing.. 
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 08:08:54 AM »
I really like my HJC SYmax III.  Especially since I got it cheap from  someone here in the forum.  :)

It may be noisy but I ride behind a big windshield so is fine for me.

I also have an HJC 3/4 helmet (IS-33) with drop down visor.  I really like it too.  Wore it on a couple of long trips and it did very well.  I still wear it every now and then just because it is so light.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:10:08 AM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 09:39:18 AM »
The HJC is the only helmet I've heard about getting stolen at a rally.  A Guzzi rally.  So they must be good.  I looked them over when I bought my Nolan.  I chose the Nolan for the fit, but the HJC would have fit the bill if it had fit my head.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 10:15:39 AM »
Gail tried on a bunch of helmets and settled on an HJC for the combination of comfortable fit and light weight.  I've always liked the fit of Bell helmets.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 10:27:47 AM »
compared to my Shoei, the HJC is noisy.  The first HJC I bought, LT12 (late 90s) was the quietest helmet I've ever had.  Since them they've all be noisy.

I wear earplugs all the time.  I can't ride without them.  I got some custom latex ones made for me at a motorcycle show.  I was pretty intrigued with those headphone style helmet speakers that someone posted here.  I am still awaiting earbuds with noise cancellation, I've not seen any for riders (wait they do exist for lots of $$$)- even my car radio has that.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 12:01:23 PM »
I tried a LS2 modular because of features and perceived fit and quality.  I am disappointed.  It is noisy and has no ventilation. It was a mistake.

Spud
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

jovato

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 12:46:50 PM »
For the money, it is really hard to beat a Scorpion EXO-1100.  You tend to have to buy one size up, however, as the sizing on them is quite small.  I have a an EXO-1100 Kranium graphic that looks fantastic.  Everyone comments on it.  I am getting ready to sell it only because I am picking up a Shoei neotec Borealis as a graduation present for myself (graduate school).  My wife has a Scorpion EXO-500 and really seems to like it.  There are a lot of features in those helmets for the money.  However, the EXO-1100 is a fiberglass type composite.  the EXO-500 is a polycarbonate plastic.

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 01:10:39 PM »
my old Shoei RF1000 did the same thing.  the disintegrating interior is not replaceable and the fit just got too loose.  I tried several helmets and settled on an AGV 3/4 open face on sale at cycle gear.  fits great and doesnt get pushed around by the wind as I turn to look over my shoulder... and my glasses fit under it.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 01:37:16 PM »
The HJC is the only helmet I've heard about getting stolen at a rally.  A Guzzi rally.  So they must be good.  I looked them over when I bought my Nolan.  I chose the Nolan for the fit, but the HJC would have fit the bill if it had fit my head.

That's why no matter where I stop I don't ASSUME my helmet, tank bag, whatever  won't get stolen.   :evil:

Penderic

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 01:46:50 PM »
Thought it read 'Bullet Helmet'....

:tongue:

These should be on sale.  :grin:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 01:50:34 PM by Penderic »

Offline paper

• I like naps
  • Hatchling
  • BACON!!
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 02:27:26 PM »
If it fits you, and the price is right, you cant go wrong.

I have 3 CL-17's and it's because I know when I buy a HJC in large, it's going to fit my head..

I buy a new helmet every year.. I swap back and forth so they can dry, and after the third year, the strap gets cut and it goes in the trash.. The foam compresses and it's the FOAM that's keeping you from becoming a vegetable in a crash.. Compressed foam isn't going to compress in an accident, because it's already compromised. The HJC's from Motorcyclegear.com are $120 shipped.. Money well spent..  http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/
Been going to Guzzi Rallies long enough. Figured I'd actually buy one..

And then I sold it.. :(

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 02:53:06 PM »
I have 3 CL-17's and it's because I know when I buy a HJC in large, it's going to fit my head..

I buy a new helmet every year.. I swap back and forth so they can dry, and after the third year, the strap gets cut and it goes in the trash.. The foam compresses and it's the FOAM that's keeping you from becoming a vegetable in a crash.. Compressed foam isn't going to compress in an accident, because it's already compromised. The HJC's from Motorcyclegear.com are $120 shipped.. Money well spent..  http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/

That sounds like a good plan, when I find a good deal on a helmet that I like, I may buy a couple and do it that way .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2015, 06:02:43 PM »
I went looking for a budget helmet a few weeks ago.  Wanted an art project to help kill some time while on vacation.  Found this one - Cyber US39 on sale from an outfit called MotoMonster.com. Delivered for about $60.  I was expecting far less for the price, so I was pleasantly surprised by the fit/finish/comfort.  Only issue I have is the removable temple cushions- they're not soo great with glasses, so I had to modify them just a tad so that my prescription spectacles fit comfortably.

It's decent comfy, not quite as quiet as the Nolan which has a chin curtain, but it's airy & cool.  Has a DOT sticker.

hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2015, 02:14:56 PM »
This is the outlet store for Dennis Kirk.

Thank you for the information, Charles.  I didn't know about Dennis Kirk selling clearance items on eBay, but thanks to your post I was able to get two nice pairs of riding pants for my Daughter, for her upcoming birthday.  The price was near-giveaway.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2015, 05:26:35 PM »
I've had an HJC SyMax, but it didn't quite fit my hear well, and caused pressure on my forehead that became downright painful after riding an hour or less.
I also had a Shoei Quest full face, but it was expensive and I felt confining, and I'm a flip up kind of guy.
I did a little research and tried a Nolan modular, and love the thing.
Perfect fit, light, and fairly quiet, but I religiously wear earplugs too.
It ran about $140 or so, but Nolan, like many others, has specials on last years models ( different colors!), etc.

This may be a bit cliched, but look around in this site as well, it might give you a lot of good info on picking the right helmet for you.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/extra-large-motorcycle-helmets.htm#chart
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 12:00:01 PM »
I also use an LS2 helmet, the OF569 (3/4) model $99. Great helmet, but I also find it noisy. I'll have to try closing the vent as suggested above. I've had other helmets in the past, including a $200+ Shoei and those were just as noisy, so I figured it was just 3/4 helmet design flaw in general, so I wear earplugs under it.

I'm also interested in an intercom type system to fit. I even contacted LS2 for suggestions, but haven't heard back (2-days so far) - not sure how that would work with the noise, but I'd give it a shot if reasonably priced and if it fits under the helmet.

1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 02:59:21 PM »
 I have a LS2 386 which I am happy with except my speakers from my bluetooth do not fit wit out hitting my ears,
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here