Author Topic: Budget Helmet  (Read 14609 times)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Budget Helmet
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 04:17:18 PM »
You can fit speakers into any helmet if you are willing to hog out a bit of the foam to do so.  Just make sure you get it in the right place before you start cutting.  They are very sensitive to location, ie, if they aren't centered you won't hear full volume.

When I cut on the Shoei I used a small tab of velcro to hold them in place and repositioned until the volume was good.  Then marked the outer edge and cut out about 1/4" of the foam.  Then put them in the holes.  Worked well.

FWIW, you can fit just about any bluetooth system to just about any helmet.  If there is not a place to clamp them on the outside then use some of the 3M exterior grade double sided foam tape.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 12:42:27 PM »
Are you interested in a gently used Black Flip Face Shoei in a large?  I used it off and on for about 2 years, alternating with my HJC before finally buying the correct size Shoei...same model. 
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline ogsurf

• Hatchling
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 05:45:20 PM »
I like the fit of Suomy. I get the two or three year old cosmetics on the top line ($400-$600)
helmets for $100 - $200. Shop for the sales. I'm way too old to care about what pattern they are.
TP

"What the hell is a Moto Gootsie?"

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 07:37:43 PM »

Another brand to consider is ZOX. I had one a few years ago and I liked it a lot. Since then I had a Scorpian that I didn't like and now have a HJC that I don't like too much. My local dealer has a few ZOX helmets on the shelf and I tried the flip style helmet on. Feels good for $150. I might go buy it soon.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 07:37:43 PM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2015, 07:50:46 PM »

Another brand to consider is ZOX. I had one a few years ago and I liked it a lot. Since then I had a Scorpian that I didn't like and now have a HJC that I don't like too much. My local dealer has a few ZOX helmets on the shelf and I tried the flip style helmet on. Feels good for $150. I might go buy it soon.

ZOX *is* a good helmet for the money. Dorcia has one. I'm stuck with a stupid $500 Shoei GT Air that I can't see out of very well now that it has broken in. I'd not feel so bad binning a $150 ZOX..  :evil:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline papatom

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 09:20:00 PM »
Nice thing about HJC is that they have different thicknesses of cheek pads to personalize the fit.  Its noisier than my old Shoei,  but ear plugs negate the difference.

Offline homebrew

• New Egg
  • New rider
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2015, 10:30:23 AM »
For the money, it is really hard to beat a Scorpion EXO-1100.  You tend to have to buy one size up, however, as the sizing on them is quite small.  I have a an EXO-1100 Kranium graphic that looks fantastic.  Everyone comments on it.  I am getting ready to sell it only because I am picking up a Shoei neotec Borealis as a graduation present for myself (graduate school).  My wife has a Scorpion EXO-500 and really seems to like it.  There are a lot of features in those helmets for the money.  However, the EXO-1100 is a fiberglass type composite.  the EXO-500 is a polycarbonate plastic.
I'm just now breaking in a Scorpion EXO CT-220, which is a 3/4 face model.  But it's got some design choices which give it a little more protection than most 3/4s I saw (though less than a full-face), like retainers to keep the removable face shield from stripping to the side on impact.  I'm pretty pleased with it so far.  I got a demo at a steal but even at full price you can bring one home for under $150.  I'd certainly recommend trying on some Scorpions -- they're reviewed generally as being pretty good at the price.

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2015, 12:54:31 PM »
I also have an Ace Z1r helmet that is ok but also noisy-was under 100$

bpreynolds

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
As it is abundantly evident from this thread even, buying or choosing a helmet based upon what other folks say - even webbikeworld - is a total and complete gambit.  The best thing I've ever found for me is just to go out to a local shop, try different ones on, and pay a few dollars extra to get it there.  Even said, I might as well throw in my 2 cents. 

My Arai Vector 2 is not a quiet helmet but it's the best fitting and functioning helmet for my specific noggin'.  Vents and controls very simple and straightforward as well.  I like that.

Though I've owned many HJCs in my time and they are good helmets for the money, I think the LS2 race helmet I have now for Summer riding would qualify is the best bang per buck.  Extremely lightweight, very noisey but no more noisey than HJCs which are actually more noisey than my Arai.

I've always found Scorpion and Nolans to be good helmets but so heavy as to make my neck ache.

Due to my perceived quality and quiet, Shoei helmets would likely be my favorite but their fit does not suite me and even caused a great amount of discomfort over miles in a helmet that seemingly was sized correctly.  I can't recall which ones fit what types (I think Shoei oblong and maybe Arai round????), but I really believe that's why I like my Arai so much and why I completely hated the Shoei on the bike.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:55:11 PM by bpreynolds »

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2015, 02:00:01 PM »
The only thing you get with higher priced helmets are comfort features and sound reduction. Very marginal 'additional' protection. Long distance riders appreciate those amenities when traveling 500 miles days consistently.

Buy what you can afford and fits properly. An improperly fitted helmet can do more damage than no helmet at all.

Offline Muley

• Gaggle Hero
  • A good day is when nothing breaks
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2015, 09:36:03 PM »
It would be nice to have a shop nearby that offers a wide selection of helmets to try on, but there is nowhere around here like that.  It's hit and miss when ordering anything, from boots to other clothing, and it's time consuming to send back items and wait for exchanges.  I don't know what else to do though, so I'm trying to use the law of statistics and narrow down the possibilities somewhat.  Maybe if most responders had good experiences with HJC helmets it would follow that I might be satisfied also.  This thread was just a simple way to gage what others liked or disliked.

Let's see, now I've narrowed it down to only 300 choices :undecided:
"My mind makes appointments my body can't keep"

Geographic Center of Georgia, a few miles from Jeffersonville

Q:  What is that ?
A:   It's a Moto Guzzi.

Q:   Is it fast ?
A:   No, 'bout like a Harley.

www.georgiapecan.or g

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2015, 10:31:22 PM »
Muley, I understand.  I went to a local motorcycle shop and tried on all the helmets they had.  I guess their brands and my head didn't agree, because even a triple-x large was uncomfortable.  Then I found a  sale on a CL-15 at motorcyclesuperstor e.com, read the sizing recommendations, and ordered an XL size.  It feels like it was custom made for my head.

The trouble is that no matter what recommendations you get from others, you won't know if they apply to your bean.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline homebrew

• New Egg
  • New rider
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2015, 05:30:05 PM »
It would be nice to have a shop nearby that offers a wide selection of helmets to try on, but there is nowhere around here like that.  It's hit and miss when ordering anything, from boots to other clothing, and it's time consuming to send back items and wait for exchanges.  I don't know what else to do though, so I'm trying to use the law of statistics and narrow down the possibilities somewhat.  Maybe if most responders had good experiences with HJC helmets it would follow that I might be satisfied also.  This thread was just a simple way to gage what others liked or disliked.

Let's see, now I've narrowed it down to only 300 choices :undecided:
You used their dealer locator, yes? http://hjchelmets.com/hjca/dlocator

Unfortunately, it's not as useful as Scorpion's.  Those guys had little star ratings to tell you how big each dealer's selection is.  With HJC all you can do is pick up the phone and ask how many models they have in your size at any given time. 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2015, 05:34:17 PM »
It would be nice to have a shop nearby that offers a wide selection of helmets to try on, but there is nowhere around here like that.

Or you could make it a road trip, some time when you're looking for a 250 mile ride-out, find you a big dealer or a Cycle Gear place, somewhere with hundreds of helmets, and try them on.   You may not find exactly the fit/color/style combination you like, but you will very likely find something that feels good and will give you a secure basis from which to order from the shop (and hopefully have drop-shipped at your house ....)

That's what I do ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Muley

• Gaggle Hero
  • A good day is when nothing breaks
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2016, 10:53:22 PM »
I finally just went ahead and ordered  his and hers HJC CL-17 helmets in solid white, the only color acceptable at our latitude :cool:, and this was done as a leap of faith with no chance to try these on, etc.

Who knows if they'll fit, be reasonably comfortable, or even protect our noggins if necessary.  I agonized over this purchase far too long, and I really hate to send things back.

Anyway, I've been vertigo free for about a month now and might chance a short ride soon, but this is probably good for another topic someday. :undecided:
"My mind makes appointments my body can't keep"

Geographic Center of Georgia, a few miles from Jeffersonville

Q:  What is that ?
A:   It's a Moto Guzzi.

Q:   Is it fast ?
A:   No, 'bout like a Harley.

www.georgiapecan.or g

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2016, 10:56:52 PM »
Good luck!  I did the same with the CL 17, way to tight even two sizes larger than HJC said I should need.  If you have round heads, you might be just fine.  As to the helmet, very good quality, quiet, great vents!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

oldbike54

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2016, 10:58:06 PM »
 Well HELLO Muley  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2016, 11:04:45 PM »
I finally just went ahead and ordered  his and hers HJC CL-17 helmets in solid white, the only color acceptable at our latitude :cool:, and this was done as a leap of faith with no chance to try these on, etc.

Who knows if they'll fit, be reasonably comfortable, or even protect our noggins if necessary.  I agonized over this purchase far too long, and I really hate to send things back.

Anyway, I've been vertigo free for about a month now and might chance a short ride soon, but this is probably good for another topic someday. :undecided:

We wuz just talking about you at the Virginia rally, where you've been sorely missed, and wondering how things are going down there in Occupied Georgia.   Understand that the pecan orchard is in the past, that you were working for the local or state road authority, and that Hubert Few's old EV is still chugging along the roads, but that's all the details we had.

Best let us know, or we'll be making up some details and we have good imaginations .... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2016, 11:05:58 PM »
Some of the helmet mfg.s will sell you the foam liner separately, so then your helmet is almost like new.  Give it a try if you are happy with the helmet you already have.  :wink:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:33:56 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Penderic

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2016, 11:19:40 PM »
Change your plain visor for a new look. Hubba Hubba.

:rolleyes:

Offline Rox

• What's a Goozy?
  • Hatchling
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2016, 01:18:40 AM »
Best bang for the buck?

Modern: Icon Alliance GT

Retro: Biltwell Gringo with optional bubble screen.

Modular: believe it or not.... Bilt Techno Evolution Modular. Good flip lid and a Bluetooth that works and headphones loud enough and work brilliant with your phone. 219$ on sale . I paid 249$ and IMO still a screaming deal.
02 V11 Lemans
02 V11 Scura
14 Honda CTX1300
07 Yamaha R6

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2016, 09:30:21 AM »
Best bang for the buck?

Modern: Icon Alliance GT

Retro: Biltwell Gringo with optional bubble screen.

Modular: believe it or not.... Bilt Techno Evolution Modular. Good flip lid and a Bluetooth that works and headphones loud enough and work brilliant with your phone. 219$ on sale . I paid 249$ and IMO still a screaming deal.

I have both my helmets out here in SoCal right now.. a mega buck Shoei GT air and a Bilt Raptor. I gave about 100 bux for the Raptor, and like it better. <shrug> I'll be wearing the Bilt when I take the Mighty Scura out for it's last trip in the Santa Monica Mountains.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2016, 09:52:46 AM »
We wuz just talking about you at the Virginia rally, where you've been sorely missed, and wondering how things are going down there in Occupied Georgia.   Understand that the pecan orchard is in the past, that you were working for the local or state road authority, and that Hubert Few's old EV is still chugging along the roads, but that's all the details we had.

Best let us know, or we'll be making up some details and we have good imaginations .... !

Lannis

Yep, we wuz talk'n about ya alright.    :evil:

I doubt I'll be at Cruso but Wayne's campout is looking good.  I've got one jar of peche eau de vie and who better to share it with!  Or you can just ride up here to Rock Hill for a night on the porch.  I now live 3 miles away from the Sonny's that you and stopped at a few years ago.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2016, 11:57:17 AM »
You've got to try helmets on. Gail tried about a dozen different brands and settled on a nice HJC for about $150, I think.

I've always found a good fit with Bell and have been through three or four over the years -- currently an RS-1, now discontinued, but I paid about $220 three years ago. We have both these helmets set up with Sena transceivers. The Bell is comfy up to about four hours -- then I feel a little pressure just above my ears. A ten-minute stop for body fluid recycling and it's good for another four hours.

When I bought the Funduro the PO threw in an Arai that was too small for him. I like it around town (it's a bit lighter than the Bell) but after a couple of hours I get an unpleasant pressure point on my forehead.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »
High Budget Helmet!  :popcorn:

Just arrived from Italy today!

Offline Rox

• What's a Goozy?
  • Hatchling
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2016, 10:58:47 PM »
I have both my helmets out here in SoCal right now.. a mega buck Shoei GT air and a Bilt Raptor. I gave about 100 bux for the Raptor, and like it better. <shrug> I'll be wearing the Bilt when I take the Mighty Scura out for it's last trip in the Santa Monica Mountains.

Do I smell a Scura Ride? #354 Ready....
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:59:36 PM by Rox »
02 V11 Lemans
02 V11 Scura
14 Honda CTX1300
07 Yamaha R6

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2016, 11:28:08 PM »
Do I smell a Scura Ride? #354 Ready....

Sorry, we loaded it in the van this evening. Lots of camping gear packed around it. Tomorrow, I'll spend all day smoking ribs for the crew, and Saturday I'd like to go visit Mark at MGC. Today's ride was the last in SoCal for the Mighty Scura.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2016, 03:35:47 AM »
I am currently using an HJC IS16, but I am a bit over due for a replacement.  Will most likely buy another HJC, as I feel their quality is excellent and you more than get your moneys worth.  My prior helmet, an HJC CL15(?) was my favorite helmet ever.  I fished it out of a bargain bin for $75 at a BMW dealer when I was out in Phoenix.  It's too bad you can't buy the exact same helmet a few years onward, but "improvements" are to be made. 
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

bpreynolds

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2016, 08:54:31 AM »
Since we are talking budget helmets here, anyone tried an AFX?

Offline guzziknight

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2016, 08:59:05 AM »
Since we are talking budget helmets here, anyone tried an AFX?

Yep, I have an AFX, not sure the model. I've had it for several years. Very comfortable and excellent ventilation, but a bit noisy. Price was right at $100. Still use it occasionally.
Blue Knights Georgia VII
Iron Butt Association #18342
Moto Guzzi National Owners Club #L-773

Four Wheels Move the Body. Two Wheels Move the Soul.

Calling an Illegal Alien an "Undocumented Immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "Unlicensed Pharmacist."

Atlanta, GA

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here