Author Topic: epic decision, big day coming  (Read 13910 times)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Re: epic decision, big day coming
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2015, 04:26:49 PM »
Congratulations on your retirement, sounds like you more than earned it, I hope  you  enjoy every precious minute.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 05:15:01 PM »
LD, give some serious thought to the Swampscooters Rally in November.  Dave from Galveston, Leafman60, Nick from NJ, Chuck, BRLawson, and a bunch of other Guzzi folks will be there.  We'll be busy eating gumbo and telling tall tales...having a great time.  You will fit right in.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline BAT 11

• New Egg
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late!
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 05:37:19 PM »
HEY LD,   You won't regret it. I left full time work 3 years ago and life is great. Jump on for a ride when it suits, get things done at home, travel some.   You don't need the big dollars to be happy.   Go for it!

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 06:19:37 PM »
LD
Glad to hear you're ready and landing on your feet! Or Guzzi as it were. It is odd how fluid that sort of thing can become. We just need to realize when to jump!
Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 06:19:37 PM »

Offline El Pescador

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 06:38:54 PM »
LD congratulations! I'm about 20 years behind you. Don't worry. I'll keep the economy going for you. Enjoy your retirement .
Fair winds and following seas

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
make sure you don't double or triple-book yourself.

This. It's *really* easy to do that. You think, "Oh, I don't have to go in to work, I can do that.."
Don't even think about it. Trust me..BTDT.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Cam Lay

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 07:56:45 PM »
Geology is one of the major holes in my education. I do, however, have a short list of good places to trout fish.

Ain't goin' be motorcycling for a while yet, but get in touch if your plans lead you up this way. We have space, tools, washer and dryer, pizza oven...
Biology is destiny.  Culture is ecology.  Most things are beetles.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2015, 08:27:57 PM »
LD congratulations! I'm about 20 years behind you. Don't worry. I'll keep the economy going for you. Enjoy your retirement .

LD is going to be one, I'm already another, and I think you have one more to support but don't know who it might be.

Keep those cards and letters coming!!    :grin:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

lucydad

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2015, 09:24:07 PM »
All,

Wow I appreciate all the good wishes.  Truly its a big life change for the positive.

MayorBBQ:  oh I have pitched many a tent, but not this new tent (MSR Hubba Hubba). 

Over booking could be a real problem for a few months.  Can I really ride to OK for the meet?  Pretty long for me, but I think I can do it in two days, especially if I do a motel half way.  Realized I have some very, very good friends that live in extreme SE OK...would love to see them.  So more motivation.

Ain't promising or committing to the OK campout yet.  Give me a bit of preparation time: i.e. a practice trip.  But, I really, really would like to do it.

We had a crazy day here with packing crew upstairs.  Next is start sheet rock repairs, painting, re-carpet entire house.  Trying to get new house builder to finalize contract.  Lots of talks with friends about my decision:  all supportive.  Also fielding lots of talk with friends recently cut from the oil patch.  Ugly stuff. 

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 09:45:42 PM »
The problem with riding from Houston to OK is that there is a whole lot of nuthin' followed by OK. :evil:
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

guzzipete

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2015, 11:23:20 PM »
LD I have to tell you that I think you are making a huge mistake.

I made the terrible decision to retire at 55. I thought it would be great....well it wasn't.

I really did not think through all of the things I was giving up, like holidays. No more holidays. All my friends would get excited about the next holiday coming up and to me it was/is just another day. And don't talk to me about vacations. I qualified for 6 weeks vacation when I retired. That is all gone. No more vacations. Sick days are gone also. If I get sick now, I don't get a day off.

I did find one plus about being retired. If I happened to be in a bar having a beer and someone asked what I did, I would tell them that I was unemployed. That was usually good for a beer or two.

nunzio

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2015, 10:33:27 AM »
I PM'd you .....Alan

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2015, 01:22:49 PM »
Greg...it's an easy ride and a fun one especially if we meander thru the piney forest along the way, and you'll have company to make it entertaining!  Get those practice runs in...for example tomorrow!  I'm likely to get a ride in early morning, but I think your Sundays are usually taken up with more spiritual pursuits, and I'm in search of a piece of pie! 

On the off chance you feel like riding, also checking with Tom to see if he wants to get a ride in.

400 miles is un piece de gateau...as long as the seat you have is worthy of a long day in the saddle.   What's the longest you have done now on the V7?

Paul
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2015, 01:25:12 PM »
Sugar Land to Talimena State Park is 430 miles.

Two tanks of gas on a V7.

Leave early to knock out the I-45 section from Houston to Fairfield.

Then through Athens, Sulphur Springs, adn Paris, to avoid the DFW metro. 

When you make the turn at Antlers, you're practically there.

Ride 100 miles and stop for a break.  Ride another 100 miles and stop for lunch and gas.

Ride another 100 miles and stop for a break.  Ride the last 100 miles and you're there well before dinner time.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ritratto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2015, 02:23:15 PM »
Think there's enough time in that schedule to squeeze in a Guzzi afternoon gathering on  Sept12 ?

See: World Guzzi Day Houston thread
1993 1000S
1978 G5
1998 Centauro ( oppsidaisy!)
2003 V11 LeMans

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2015, 03:36:38 PM »
I could get together before Aug 30th, but then I'm headed to Colorado for a couple weeks...if you want to do a pre-celebration!  :)
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

lucydad

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2015, 06:20:23 PM »
Wow...overwhelmed.. .

Let's see:  V7R has the low gel seat, very comfy, and longest I have done in a day is a little shy of 300 miles.  Did a bit more than 300 miles today on the Triumph in a big loop out to La Grange, and such.  Heat smacked me pretty good though, I am pretty tired despite three stops for rest and water.

Never loaded the bags on the V7R.  Need to set up a test, and get my kit together.  Need fall to come...dog days of summer here.

I need to seriously look at my schedule in September and early October.  We are doing a family Hawaii trip mid-september, and back the 28th.
Should be recovered from the trip and jet lag in a few days.  Need to be sure there are no snags just post-retirement on medical insurance and such. 

Rocker, to make the trip enjoyable, my preference would be to break it up:  two 200 mile leisurely days.   Or, just head out early, and see how it goes. Lower heat could make a big difference. 

A joint ride would be splendid.  Like that idea.

Processing and planning here...pretty dang motivated. 

My brain is still wrapping around the epic day concept.  It is happening without doubt  Mom (aged 94) agreed it is time and encouraged me.

I need advice on exactly how to handle the retirement with Mr. Boss.  Said a few prayers over that one.  Will talk it over with my good buddy Ed and others. 

You guys are great...

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2015, 07:10:10 PM »
C'mon LD.. 50 miles to breakfast. a hundred more miles to lunch? What are you going to do with the rest of the day? Take a nap? 200 mile day??  :wink:
As has been mentioned before.. attitude has much to do with it. Even Dorcia in her pretty seriously debilitated  condition wouldn't think twice about 200 miles in a day.On a sporty bike. C'mon. Suck it up.  :whip2:
 :grin:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2015, 09:15:21 PM »
Congrats on the retirement LD.

I have about 16 weeks to go I think,  retiring at the end of the year.  Hope to do some touring myself.

John,  I am still angling for the Tattly Rappet. Bike rego on Sept 28th. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2015, 10:30:56 PM »
Congrats on the retirement LD.

I have about 16 weeks to go I think,  retiring at the end of the year.  Hope to do some touring myself.

John,  I am still angling for the Tattly Rappet. Bike rego on Sept 28th. :thumb:

Me too Muzz Got to find me rego money and maybe a tire. A possibilty has opened up.
The Tattley Rappet registration forms are supposed to be out. I'll have a look.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2015, 10:43:41 PM »
You guys are a good influence on me!   I'm needing to cut the rope but it's hard to cut a paycheck. We had a plan to bail at 55 but now at 59 it's time to make a change.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:44:40 PM by John Ulrich »
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2015, 06:21:03 AM »
JU, trust me. I have 23 years of experience at being "retired."  :smiley: You'll find that you don't need that paycheck as much as you think. You won't spend as much as you did when you were working. I'm assuming of course that you have been planning on retirement and have that nest egg..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2015, 07:13:50 AM »
You guys are a good influence on me!   I'm needing to cut the rope but it's hard to cut a paycheck. We had a plan to bail at 55 but now at 59 it's time to make a change.  :thumb:

I thought that "hard to cut a paycheck" thing would be tough too, but it's not.   We're living on less than we did before and not missing a thing.

The time is worth more than the money, trust us retired guys.    Not many people say "I retired but geez I wish I were back at work ..... "

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2015, 07:24:26 AM »
What's the big deal about retiring? I was offered an early out when I was 50. I thought about it for 10 seconds and was out of there.

See, I didn't have to live on Blowhard Blvd and wear silk drawers, etc. No, I'm fine with living on Toxic Waste Trail and wearing RoundHouse bib overalls instead of pressed Dockers. Since leaving full time work 22 years ago I've still managed to buy 4 new Guzzis without trading one in.

I get by on $1,400 a month. Some couldn't make it on 14K a month.

I've seen way too many work that extra few years and then kicking off with a heart attack. (Their widows are sho nuff good cooks.wink)

Tex

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2015, 04:09:14 PM »
What's the big deal about retiring? I was offered an early out when I was 50. I thought about it for 10 seconds and was out of there.

See, I didn't have to live on Blowhard Blvd and wear silk drawers, etc. No, I'm fine with living on Toxic Waste Trail and wearing RoundHouse bib overalls instead of pressed Dockers. Since leaving full time work 22 years ago I've still managed to buy 4 new Guzzis without trading one in.

I get by on $1,400 a month. Some couldn't make it on 14K a month.

I've seen way too many work that extra few years and then kicking off with a heart attack. (Their widows are sho nuff good cooks.wink)

Tex

:1:

:thumb:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here