Author Topic: Who flies?  (Read 13853 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Who flies?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2015, 02:35:05 PM »
Lost my medical.  I mean -- I know where it is, I just can't get at it.  Private.

Here's the latest project:

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2015, 02:37:03 PM »
I used to fly.   I gave it up because it costs too much  :sad: (Guzzi  content  :wink:).

I've got about 250 flight hours.

I've flown:
C152
C172
PA-28-160 (Piper Warrior)
PA-28-180 (Piper Archer II) -- owned a share in this one for several years
Super Decathlon -- 1 hour of intro to aerobatics instruction -- THAT was FUN!

I've also got a few hours in a 2-place glider that I can't remember the make or model -- don't have my logbook handy to look.

I was about 10 hours into my instrument rating when the company I worked for was acquired, and I was fearing losing my job.    That scare changed my financial priorities, and I sold the Piper share, and hung up the David Clarks.

I miss flying, but, not the expense.

EDIT: added info that I forgot in my initial post
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 06:48:57 AM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2015, 03:02:50 PM »

Any relation to Clarence Brown ? :laugh:

Dusty

No, but I bet they listened to him!
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2015, 03:03:17 PM »
I miss flying, but, not the expense.

Absolutely. $5.50 to $7.50 avgas can certainly put a crimp in the fun of an hour dusk patrol..
You can't fly any cheaper than I do. I build my own, and maintain them. Hanger rent is free. Still, when thinking about discretionary dollars, I get a better bang for the buck with my Guzzis.
Mouser is (barely) tolerable, cost wise. (Cheap Guzzisti content) :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2015, 03:03:17 PM »

Offline Bill929

• Gaggle Hero
    • Finger, Nelson & Maguire, PLLC
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2015, 04:43:16 PM »
Private pilot, single engine land and instrument rated.  Also have a glider rating, but haven't been in a sail plane since the 80s.  Due to business and family obligations, I'm not flying currently, but am itching to get back in.  Flew a Maule M7 for 10 years.  Loved it and accrued about 600 hours in it. 

My favorite aviation story is a little scary.  I was on an IFR flight plan (on my assigned course and altitude*) to south Florida when the controller became involved in a disagreement with a student pilot regarding entry into a DME arc (instrument approach procedure).  While engaged in his tirade toward the student pilot, the controller forgot to vector me around (or mention at all) parachute activity directly in my path.  When I saw humans dropping in front of me at 8000 feet (chutes not yet open), I declared an emergency and deviated course.  I'm sure their heart rates went up as much as mine!   

*For those of you who are not pilots, when you are "cleared" on an instrument flight plan, you are assigned an altitude and a route that you are required (pending emergency circumstances) to stay within.  This, of course, changes via directions from a controller, but the idea is that ATC clears that area for your transit to your destination. 
Bill
Morriston, FL
Maidens, VA
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring
2019 Harley Davidson Roadster

Prior Guzzis:  1986 V65 Lario, 2001 EV, 2001 V11 Sport, 2003 Titanium, 2007 California Vintage, 1991 Lemans CI 1000

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2015, 04:51:44 PM »
What glider pilots say about power pilots:

The propeller is only there to keep the pilot cool, since they sure start to sweat when it stops turning.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2015, 05:06:45 PM »
Plus those power pilot have the luxury of hitting the throttle for a go around if they mess up a landing approach. With a glider you are landing regardless so set that approach up right first time, every time. :thumb:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2015, 05:43:06 PM »
Small planes are fun and can humble those that have been flying large sophisticated aircraft for many years. I flew helicopters for 18 years in the Army, (read Vietnam) then as a civilian in the Gulf of Mexico, thence the Coast Guard. What great memories. While in Alaska I transitioned into the C-130. What a hoot! Flying in Alaska dealing with the weather was a great challenge and extremely enjoyable. Crosswind and/or tailwind landings on ice is exciting but fun.
Finished my career in Florida with the USCG. After retirement I've bee a C-130 simulator instructor working with international crews from around the world. Probably retire this year. It's been a great journey.
Bill 

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
*For those of you who are not pilots, when you are "cleared" on an instrument flight plan, you are assigned an altitude and a route that you are required (pending emergency circumstances) to stay within. 

If you deviate from any of these three things you are join immediately on each wing tip by two Mig 21's and land at the next available airfield. The passengers continue by coach and the crew are never seen again.

Apologies to D.Gunson his routine is available on itunes although now a little dated for anyone who has anything to do with the aviation industry is well worth the price. If however you are a nervous flier you might want to pass.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2015, 08:51:04 PM »
Plus those power pilot have the luxury of hitting the throttle for a go around if they mess up a landing approach. With a glider you are landing regardless so set that approach up right first time, every time.

:1:  When I began flying power, my instructor was a little bemused to see that I wasn't flustered by "power out" landings, and could even do them with some precision. I pointed out that as a glider pilot I'd survived several dozen successful forced landings.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline geodoc

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2015, 10:55:19 PM »
Was an A&P late 70's - late 80's, then went to the dark side and started flying floatplanes, 1st in Alaska then Seattle, Maldives, Dubai, BC Coast. Hung up my spurs 2 years ago. Most time in a Turbo Otter and piston Beaver with a fair whack of Caravan.

Me in this one about 8 years ago - Lake Lovelywater 50 mi. N of Vancouver:

Chillin' on Secret Lake #6 flying for a lodge near Dillingham AK in 2005:

Tough duty somewhere near Clayoquot Sound BC:

A lake off Douglas Channel about 50 mi S of Kitamat BC:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:02:58 PM by geodoc »

oldbike54

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2015, 11:01:07 PM »
 Great pic Doc  :bow:

Dusty

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2015, 11:16:48 PM »
Doc, did somebody tell her how cold the water is after the top 4 feet?

I know most of those planes...
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline geodoc

• Gosling
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2015, 11:29:19 PM »
I didn't. Too damn cold for swimming in even in the upper couple feet. She wasn't swimming anyway if I recall, just working on her tan. She was nice enough to ask me if I'd be offended if she shed the suit to avoid the tan lines & me (ever the gentleman) had no objection at all ................... ..................

Doc, did somebody tell her how cold the water is after the top 4 feet?

I know most of those planes...

Offline Jurgen

• Hatchling
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2015, 11:05:14 AM »
RV-6A and Breva 750

Jurgen
Jurgen

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2015, 12:48:25 PM »
RV-6A and Breva 750

Jurgen

The RV-6A is a cool plane, great performance for the HP.   I got the opportunity to fly one many years back -- wish I had the time and money to build one.
Did you build yours?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:51:36 PM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2015, 01:19:28 PM »
Lost my medical about '93, got an IA, retired a couple years ago. Got to fool with some nice equipment!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2015, 01:12:05 AM »
Hi, John!  :bow: :smiley:

Yeah, but you got all the cool airplanes.  :thumb: :boozing:

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2015, 01:44:19 AM »
5 hours hot air balloon.  At the time you only needed 10 for a private rating and 30 for a commercial rating.  Hard to get since you need a crew to set up and launch.  No control when you land and it's a squeeze your butt and hope for the best.  At 25 mph, the only way to slow your landing speed is to look for trees that you can run into.  :shocked:

The rest of flight experience is 3rd seat as a Cargo Loadmaster.  Most times it was a cruise till the cargo breaks loose and you have to climb over the load to secure it.  Not something that you want on a turbulent flight or having to baby sit a Capt. and 1st Officer that are beefing in flight.  I had control of the a/c after it was blocked in.  Told them to get off the a/c and discuss it off the ramp area and off the company warehouse grounds.

1/2 hour in a QC 737 change over to cargo service.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 01:46:54 AM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline motoTommaso

• New Egg
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2015, 02:05:18 AM »
Financially grounded aviator, PPL.  Medical lapsed.  Had a heart attack in 2004.  Probably would have to spend some money and effort to get a Special Issuance to get current.  Time in the usual Cessna and Pipers, but my favorites were the Grumman Tiger and the Citabria.  Had looked at building a Sonerai once but it never happened.  If I could afford it, I probably jump for a two seat Van's RV of some sort. 

Offline guzziknight

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2015, 06:13:13 AM »
Commercial Rotorcraft certified, VFR only. Flew 8 years with Atlanta Police. 1300 hrs total time, 1200+ of those in a turbine helo. Haven't flown in 6 years, since I took early retirement from APD. Don't really miss it all that much.
Blue Knights Georgia VII
Iron Butt Association #18342
Moto Guzzi National Owners Club #L-773

Four Wheels Move the Body. Two Wheels Move the Soul.

Calling an Illegal Alien an "Undocumented Immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "Unlicensed Pharmacist."

Atlanta, GA

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2015, 06:37:31 AM »
Which is your favorite aircraft?
What licenses do you hold?
How many hours?
Best aviation story?

There are fliers and fixers. Generally, they�re not the same guy. The flier sits there fat, dumb and happy thinking, �What could possibly go wrong?� The fixer sits there knowing all the things that can go wrong.. :smiley:
I�m an A&P, PASEL. 1000 hours logged, but I seldom log time.  I�ve been fortunate enough to have flown most commercial private aircraft at one time or another up to light twins. The twin Beech is the largest. Many homebuilts, the slowest being Bernie Pietenpol�s personal Sky Scout, a single place Model A powered parasol, the fastest being a couple of different RV10s. I�m a long time EAA tech counselor.
That said, I�m a fixer. Strictly as a hobby, though. I�ve scratch built a Sonerai 2L, Pitts special S1S, 1930 Great Lakes Trainer from the the original drawings, restored a 46 Commonwealth Skyranger from a pile of rubble, and recently ahem, 3 or 4 years ago finished a PA22-108 with many speed mods that I call a Monocolt.  :smiley: My last project will be a 1930 Lambert Monocoupe that is hanging in the hanger as we speak.

Favorite homebuilt? Probably Mouser, my Sonerai. Cruises 130 at 4 gph with a VW powerplant, flies very much like a Pitts except for all the horsepower and attendant fuel burn.
Favorite factory job?  :wink: Interstate Cadet, a low production WW2 primary trainer. It just has that magical �feel� for me.
We live on our private strip in central Indiana, 2II3.
Don�t have any stories..  :smiley:

...and sometimes the fixers are really just parts replaces. I don't think we get the best of the breed here at the airlines. You know the knowledgable 50+ year type in a collared shirt with a stainless steel pen in his chest pocket A&P type? Those are NOT the kind I deal with unfortunately :evil:

I usually start my day with that sentence: what could possibly go wrong!?! I do it with tongue in cheek. Flying a 20 year old jet certainly isn't a recipe for smooth sailing.

Yesterday in LaGuardia I took over an aircraft from another Captain who had just written up the automatic temperature control system. Apparently he couldn't cool the cabin down in the 90 degree heat. 6(!) maintenance guys came out and diagnosed the problem only to agree with said captain. They proceed to defer one of the the airconditioning systems so that the aircraft is down to one which in turn makes it more difficult to cool off.

When I take over I read the discrepancy in the logbook and proceed to test the systems in accordance with the procedures and learn that the recirculation fan was not working. However the system they shut down seemed to be working fine. I call up the maintenance control center and politely inform them of the issue. The response is "you can't take off with both broken, flight will have to cancel". I then suggest that the system they defferred was working fine and that the recirculation fan was the issue. They acquiess to my demand of sending the A&P's out again. So after much back and forth they agree to un-deactivate the system and defer the recirculation fan. Ok!

I make a happy announcement to the passenger that their flight will soon be departing. 5 minutes later the lead A&P comes up and says. We have to cancel the flight. I ask why. He says that the outside temperature exceeds the maximum allowable temperature for takeoff with that system inop. He says max temperature is 25c. I then have to inform him that it is not 25c, it's ISA+25c. He responds "what is ISA"
So I told him: "ISA stands for International Standard Atmosphere and at sea level it equals 15c". So our max temp was 40c. He looks at me with a puzzled expression and asks: "so you want to go then?". I respond "yes".

After that ordeal I taxi out to a nice 50 airplane long line. Sigh...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 06:59:01 AM by BRIO »

oldbike54

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »
 BRIO , that is a GREAT story  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2015, 01:04:35 PM »
I used to do a little flying back in the day. Got about 10,000 hrs. Got ill and had to give it up. Sometimes I miss flying, but I don't miss working as a pilot.

Kentktk

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2015, 02:05:32 PM »
...and sometimes the fixers are really just parts replaces. I don't think we get the best of the breed here at the airlines. You know the knowledgable 50+ year type in a collared shirt with a stainless steel pen in his chest pocket A&P type? Those are NOT the kind I deal with unfortunately :evil:

I usually start my day with that sentence: what could possibly go wrong!?! I do it with tongue in cheek. Flying a 20 year old jet certainly isn't a recipe for smooth sailing.

Yesterday in LaGuardia I took over an aircraft from another Captain who had just written up the automatic temperature control system. Apparently he couldn't cool the cabin down in the 90 degree heat. 6(!) maintenance guys came out and diagnosed the problem only to agree with said captain. They proceed to defer one of the the airconditioning systems so that the aircraft is down to one which in turn makes it more difficult to cool off.

When I take over I read the discrepancy in the logbook and proceed to test the systems in accordance with the procedures and learn that the recirculation fan was not working. However the system they shut down seemed to be working fine. I call up the maintenance control center and politely inform them of the issue. The response is "you can't take off with both broken, flight will have to cancel". I then suggest that the system they defferred was working fine and that the recirculation fan was the issue. They acquiess to my demand of sending the A&P's out again. So after much back and forth they agree to un-deactivate the system and defer the recirculation fan. Ok!

I make a happy announcement to the passenger that their flight will soon be departing. 5 minutes later the lead A&P comes up and says. We have to cancel the flight. I ask why. He says that the outside temperature exceeds the maximum allowable temperature for takeoff with that system inop. He says max temperature is 25c. I then have to inform him that it is not 25c, it's ISA+25c. He responds "what is ISA"
So I told him: "ISA stands for International Standard Atmosphere and at sea level it equals 15c". So our max temp was 40c. He looks at me with a puzzled expression and asks: "so you want to go then?". I respond "yes".

After that ordeal I taxi out to a nice 50 airplane long line. Sigh...
Must have been the go home leg, if not, going back to the hotel with would have been the better choice. :grin:

Offline dothetime

• New Egg
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2015, 02:44:50 PM »
Private pilot, 700 hours, owned five aircraft in the last 24 years. High performance and tail wheel qualifications.

I own an Experimental Zenith Zodiac 601XLB that is LSA qualified. Don't want to bother with third class medical.

If the rules ever get changed on the medical would love to own A Van's RV6A

Favorite airplane was my third airplane, a 1946 Ercoupe, the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Dave

2003  Black & Chrome EVT, Russell Day Long Seat, Outsider, Extended Windshield,Advanced Brake Pedal, Heckler & Koch Bags.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2015, 03:35:32 PM »
Speaking of medicals what happened to the deal about dropping 3rd class medicals and using drivers licenses as the medical?

Private, SEL, 300 hrs +/- mostly 150/152/172/PA28-180. Some Be-76, C-421.
I voluntarily gave up my medical due to dizzy spells...haven't ridden in a while, either. Haven't had any problems in a while, about to start riding again.

1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Randown

• Long Beach, CA
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2015, 03:47:58 PM »
I was never quite good enough for the local flying club to sign me off for solo so I had to buy my own a/c. It was exciting to take off in a plane you never flown before knowing you had to come back & land it.

Stories? I'm a descendant of the first person to be cited for flying while intoxicated in LA county.

The problem with GA is too many rules, how can you possibly have any fun? I did get asked over the radio to copy down a phone number more than once but no one ever died as a result of anything I did or didn't do. So in your face you elitist flying clubs, atc, faa ...you & your rules for the sake of having rules!

'46 Ercoupe (Cont O-200 & rudders) > '69 Beech 23 aerobat (Lyc O-360) > '55 Beech F35

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 06:36:03 PM by Randown »
Flippity Floppity Floop

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2015, 11:06:45 AM »
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2015, 08:51:16 PM »
Wisdom from Buzz Sherwood:

"If you're a pilot, you can use the roads and highways to steer your plane. Just remember, stay in the passing lane, or the motorists really yell at you."
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here