Author Topic: Cheaper V7 Saddle?  (Read 14216 times)

Offline Eadnams

• New Egg
Cheaper V7 Saddle?
« on: September 03, 2015, 12:07:19 PM »
Was a little surprised at the prices on the OEM saddles here: http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=2967

Does anyone have any other sources for non-OEM saddles? Looking for something more suitable for longer term riding, poor weather riding, and 2-up riding on my V7 Racer.
----
2014 V7 Racer

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Cheaper V7 Saddle?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 03:49:34 PM »
Cheaper than $200?
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
Saddles for the V7 are pretty affordable to start with, considering the custom molded pan and other components. If you want to do something less expensive, you're likely going to have to sacrifice your existing seat and have it rebuilt on a budget - and even that won't be a whole lot cheaper to have done well.

Just to give you sticker shock, my saddle on the Norge was only a hair under $1100.

ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Eadnams

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 06:19:57 PM »
Fair enough ;)

From what I've read they all feel about the same anyway... Recommendations to be less sore for long rides? ;)
----
2014 V7 Racer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 06:19:57 PM »

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
Fair enough ;)

From what I've read they all feel about the same anyway... Recommendations to be less sore for long rides? ;)

They definitely don't all feel the same way - or I would've bought a $500 Corbin or Sargent instead!

Seats are probably the most subjective thing on a motorcycle, since they are where the butt meets the bike. While some like a softer feel, the vast majority of long distance riders will opt for a saddle that is firmer than stock; it helps eliminate pressure points and hot spots, once broken in. The Corbin is the hardest of the bunch, to the point where people talk about 'having a Corbin butt'. Sargent and Mustang make good seats. somewhat firmer than stock and differently shaped, but all three of these brands are a bit hit-or-miss when it comes to Moto Guzzi models. All three are stock seats that can be customized, i.e., they sell you a seat they've designed, and you can ask for it to be fitted, like an off-the-rack suit.

The top rung is occupied by fully custom saddles - and the best known come from one family. Bill and Rocky Meyer (brothers) run two separate companies making order-to-fit saddles. Both are excellent builders, but recent reports (last 12-18 months) have often indicated some issues with customer service. Not every order is affected, but enough to make a person notice. Their dad taught them both, and before he retired, he owned Russell Day-Long, the company considered best in the business by many. Since he didn't want to sell the company to one son or the other (and they didn't want to be partners), his company was sold to an outside party - along with his patented saddle design. The saddle on my bike is one of these, and I will buy one for any bike I plan to ride more than 100 miles at a time. They start around $600 and go up depending on what you want.

Your best solution - comfort on a budget - might be just what I earlier suggested, Let us know where you are, and hopefully someone here can suggest a nearby custom saddle maker who can modify the stock saddle to suit you, shaping it and adding firmer foam to match your preference, inseam, etc. Till you're ready to pony up the big bucks, that's likely your best choice.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 08:26:15 PM »
Is Corbin, Mustang, or Sargent an option for a V7?

I'm considering buying an OEM gel or the AF1 solo and a half seat if I can get a good report.

But I could consider a Corbin if one became available.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
Is Corbin, Mustang, or Sargent an option for a V7?

I'm considering buying an OEM gel or the AF1 solo and a half seat if I can get a good report.

But I could consider a Corbin if one became available.

I don't know what's out there, specifically, which is why I suggested customization by a local saddlemaker as a good choice to explore.

Out here in the desert, you don't want a gel seat no matter what. Think about a swimming pool in the sun...
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »
Well a quick check shows nothing from Mustang or Sargent for any Moto Guzzi (though Sargent has a custom, refurbish your own seat program that might help).

Last I heard Corbin was looking for a V7 test mule, so that might become an option.

Personally I don't like the Franken-Seats with wing like tumors that occur from some "custom" alterations.

I had an OEM gel seat on my Breva 1100 and it was fine for all East Coast use.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 10:02:43 PM »

Personally I don't like the Franken-Seats with wing like tumors that occur from some "custom" alterations.

Well, I console myself with the very real consideration that if I'm on it I don't have to look at it  :smiley:

This is truly a custom seat, since it was built while I was at the shop. I arrived at 8 am, took 4 test rides through the day as it was gradually built, and left at 5 pm with a finished seat tailored exactly to me. The wings may look funny, but round about hour 8 and later, one starts to appreciate the concept. Round about hour 8 of the third day, one wouldn't want anything else.

I had a Corbin (over 100,000 miles on that on my V-Strom) and have ridden stock (25,000 on my Breva 750, and some others); the Moto Guzzi factory seats are by no means the worst. I find gel seats too soft in general, and they gather and store heat out here in the sunny desert west. As noted earlier, seats are perhaps the most personal of all items on a bike.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 10:11:43 PM »
Some of you know I'm in the seat cover business.  I have many of the big aftermarket makers as customers-I make covers for them and/or they use my King of Fleece LLC SplitWeight(tm) branded covers.

As such, I talk with riders all over the world as they use my product to protect their $500.00 to $2000.00 (yes,not a typo!) seats.

Here's what I hear all the time:  Russell and Bill Mayer folks always love 'em.  Sargent, Corbin, folks mostly love 'em but not all.
I'll leave the Harley stuff for another day.

Smaller seat guys that get mentioned are Seth Laam, Pat Mitchell, and Rizoma (or something like that).  Then there's a whole bunch of onezies and twozies.

For Moto Guzzi V7 bikes give Pat Mitchell at www.astechseats.com a call.  He does great work on that style seat, the price is very reasonable, and the service is quick.  He's done several for me on different bikes and they are all very well done.  I can knock off 400 miles on my 15 Stone no problem.

Finally, RICK Mayer is out of business and folks may confuse him with brother Rocky (BMS). 

Seats, screens, and Olive Oil.  All VERY dependent on the users personal preference.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 10:19:24 PM »

Seats, screens, and Olive Oil.  All VERY dependent on the users personal preference.

All excellent information - thanks! Let me know where I can get an EVS (extra virgin seat)  :wink:
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 11:46:33 PM »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 12:02:40 AM »
Fair enough ;)

Yep:  saddle of your choice, plus AirHawk.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 04:03:02 AM »
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=75507

I bought this one.  Better than stock.

Cam, is that passenger grab strap removable?

Does it get in the way of comfort at all?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

bpreynolds

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 07:58:11 AM »
Topic close my ass, lately.  Heart too as I love this little bike.  Anyhow, I bought a cheapy ebay V7 seat that was - and still is, for now anyhow - the 2-up kit seat for the Racer dually.  It is nowhere near as attractive as my stock saddle but it's cushioned enough more than stock to make for a markedly better ride IMHO.  In fact, after riding on it I began to wonder if a small bit of the complaints about the "stiff" suspension might be related to the stock seat as I didn't feel I was getting tossed around as much on the more cushioned kit seat.  But regardless, it will go to a custom seat maker somewhere.  The Bill Mayer V7 (Zinfan owns) is one that doesn't betray the lines of the bike too greatly. 

For me it's a kind of white man's struggle  :grin: :laugh:  The bike is so stupid gorgeous I hate to muck it up with a barca lounger seat.  At the same time, if I really do plan on doing any kind of touring I want a comfortable ride and my experience has been that nobody is as good as a Russell.  And  hence the "struggle"; do I want a seat that is supremely comfortable or one that is not unattractive but comfortable enough?  Such is the Friday ride. 

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 08:45:19 AM »
Cam, is that passenger grab strap removable?

Does it get in the way of comfort at all?

NOT removable.  Far enough back that I don't feel it at all (I've tried to slide back, but it's too far back for me to feel it).
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline Jurgen

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 11:31:16 AM »
OK, I'm asking the group, does anyone know of a custom MC saddle maker in the New Mexico area?  I could go as far north as Denver, and south to El Paso.  Phoenix is too far for a day ride and going east is nothing but desert. 

Jurgen
Jurgen

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 11:40:08 AM »
NOT removable.  Far enough back that I don't feel it at all (I've tried to slide back, but it's too far back for me to feel it).

I wonder long term if I should

A. Go for that one
B. Try the OEM Gel
C. Send one of mine out to get redone (maybe keep the stock one stock and have the Café one redone with more/better foam but NOT to add any wings or the like)
D. Wait for a Corbin to come out.

???
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 12:51:30 PM »

A. Go for that one
B. Try the OEM Gel
C. Send one of mine out to get redone (maybe keep the stock one stock and have the Caf� one redone with more/better foam but NOT to add any wings or the like)

???

Next time we ride together we can swap out seats and you can try the one I have? 
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 01:37:37 PM »
Next time we ride together we can swap out seats and you can try the one I have?

:thumb:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Mikecocos

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 02:01:50 PM »
I am looking for a nice dark brown seat for my V7 stone. Saw that guzzi had one at the Milan moto show but haven't seen one up for retail anywhere. Have you?

I am assuming they will update or add to their mod kits. Maybe they'll include one then. Tan brown seats are pretty trendy.

bpreynolds

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 02:07:32 PM »

???

I wouldn't put much stock in this one but ya never know.  When I spoke with a guy in their tech office he said the V7 was on their list to acquire a test mule from which to build a pan; yet, when I emailed him back and said I could likely find him someone from the board here I never heard back from him.  This was about 3 weeks ago. 

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 02:12:21 PM »

:gotpics: Got a shot of it on the bike? I put a seat on my '09 V7C from the '10 Cafe and really like it, both looks and comfort. Problem is after 25K mi. it has a seam that is splitting. Trying to figure out which way to go next.
BMW R1250RS, Ducati 821 Monster, KTM 890 Duke, Indian R1200R Carbon

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 04:04:45 PM »
:gotpics: Got a shot of it on the bike? I put a seat on my '09 V7C from the '10 Cafe and really like it, both looks and comfort. Problem is after 25K mi. it has a seam that is splitting. Trying to figure out which way to go next.

Cam's on the road and asked me to post this pic of his bike for you.

Best I can do is a link to google photos:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNboFgy5SEwLzyl5UxtXItpOPFW5DLKPaTYTRvqn7RW8Wf2uBqB6f6wLUFNVL-NsQ?key=TW4xRjBZQTFhaXotUmJXbGFsM19kbEREYVhMblFR

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 04:19:15 PM »
Thanks Kev, that's just what I needed to know.
BMW R1250RS, Ducati 821 Monster, KTM 890 Duke, Indian R1200R Carbon

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 05:37:05 PM »

A. Go for that one
B. Try the OEM Gel
C. Send one of mine out to get redone (maybe keep the stock one stock and have the Caf� one redone with more/better foam but NOT to add any wings or the like)

???
I found the OEM gel saddle to be only slightly more comfortable than stock. I don't think it looks as nice either, as the lettering is in a shadow profile and it's stamped "Comfort Gel" under Moto Guzzi. I found the Racer saddle to be slightly more comfortable than stock, though the hump is too close to the tank unless you're pretty short.

Purely subjective, but I'd rate the stock saddle as 3/10 on the comfort scale. The Comfort Saddle would be a 5/10, as would the Racer saddle. That new 1.5 cafe version that Cam has looks perfect, actually. I don't like those weird looking custom versions, but I tend to lean toward form over function. I have no doubt that they're comfortable, but I can't get past the appearance.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 05:56:11 PM »
Any strap can be cut under the bottom edge of the pan.

Astech seat can retain the stock look of your seat if that's what you want.  Hope that helps.  The stock Guzzi look is easy to do.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 06:33:52 PM »
RSS29, you don't still have, and want to sell, the OEM gel seat??? Do you?

King, I'm told the OEM straps are faux straps and are sewn to the cover all the way around. I assume this changes things?

King, I assume your business concentrates on the aesthetics of the cover and not foam upgrades or replacement, yes?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 08:52:20 PM »
RSS29, you don't still have, and want to sell, the OEM gel seat??? Do you?
Sorry, no. I sold it. I forgot about the faux strap on the Stone vs Special seat. The Comfort Saddle doesn't have that, so if you find yourself sitting on the Stone's strap it may be more comfortable. Aside from that I don't think I'd recommend it over stock.

A Corbin would be nice if/when they ever make one. They're super hard, but I had one on another bike and it was great. A Gunfighter and Lady with backrest would be perfect. They don't have that catcher's mitt look of the true custom saddles either.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 10:20:09 PM »

I'd give this one a 7/10.  Not perfect, but much better than the original.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here