Author Topic: Single most significant safety advance in the last decade of M/C?  (Read 13843 times)

canuguzzi

Re: Single most significant safety advance in the last decade of M/C?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2015, 10:48:08 PM »
Lateral loss of traction? Here you go. Sorry but you're just unwilling to learn.

From one of the links.

"Traction control deals specifically with lateral (front-to-back) loss of friction during acceleration."

What does it take?

Led you to water. Chose to disbelieve it all you want.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:49:53 PM by Norge Pilot »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2015, 10:54:06 PM »
Lateral loss of traction? Here you go. Sorry but you're just unwilling to learn.

From one of the links.

"Traction control deals specifically with lateral (front-to-back) loss of friction during acceleration."

What does it take?

Led you to water. Chose to disbelieve it all you want.

Oh, for doG's sake...  You're a trip NP.   I thought you didn't use Google...  Now you're posting up any link you can find! Nothing on motorcycle ABS/TC, though, huh?  LOL!

lat�er�al
ˈladərəl,ˈlatrəl/
adjective
of, at, toward, or from the side or sides.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:55:43 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2015, 10:56:26 PM »
 Uh , you led us to how a 4 wheeled vehicle works . Hell , the article even states stability control , which MCs don't have , is a spinoff from ABS .

Dusty

Offline racasey

• Hatchling
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2015, 10:59:47 PM »
TC works basically the same way as ABS . It measures wheel speed against the speed the MC is traveling . Sorry NP , but yes the two systems use the same sensors and ECU circuitry .

Dusty

The answer depends on whose electronics are being used.  Magnetic Marelli on my MV Agusta measures rate of change on the crankshaft. 

One of the advancements I particularly enjoy is slipper clutches, and I'd place it next to tyre improvements, high on my list.

Ciao,
DC
84 V65
1090RR MV Agusta
Paul Smart Ducati
'66 Velocette Thruxton VMT 334
'63 Aermacchi 250
Seeley MK-III AJS 500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2015, 10:59:47 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2015, 11:04:45 PM »
The answer depends on whose electronics are being used.  Magnetic Marelli on my MV Agusta measures rate of change on the crankshaft. 

One of the advancements I particularly enjoy is slipper clutches, and I'd place it next to tyre improvements, high on my list.

Ciao,
DC

That is interesting .

Yes , slipper clutches are cool .

Dusty

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2015, 11:09:14 PM »
That is interesting .

Yes , slipper clutches are cool .

Dusty

My Suzuki `91 VX800 has a slipper clutch.  It helps when down shifting.  :azn:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:10:04 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2015, 11:10:04 PM »

Interesting, but what does it compare the crank's speed to?  Does it not compare engine speed to wheel speed/road speed? And isn't road speed now measured (along with wheel speed) with the ABS tone rings?
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

canuguzzi

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2015, 11:11:43 PM »
Oh, for doG's sake...  You're a trip NP.   I thought you didn't use Google...  Now you're posting up any link you can find! Nothing on motorcycle ABS/TC, though, huh?  LOL!

lat�er�al
ˈladərəl,ˈlatrəl/
adjective
of, at, toward, or from the side or sides.

There you go again. Where did I say I didn't use Google?

I said specifically that I rarely use Wikipedia but I guess as long as ABS is the same thing as Traction Control, Wikipedia might as well be Google or the Internet.

That was really funny Rocker. And all along I thought BMWs and Moto Guzzis had different engine designs, little did I know that because they both used gasoline and both had two cylinders they were the same bikes.

:thewife:

Hurry, someone tell Honda, Kawasaki, BMW and all the rest they are totally screwed up, ABS is traction control because they MIGHT use some of the same sensors.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:14:29 PM by Norge Pilot »

oldbike54

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2015, 11:12:43 PM »

My Suzuki `91 VX800 has a slipper clutch.  It helps when down shifting.  :azn:

I think we were referring to a back torque limiting clutch that prevents wheel hop . Interesting , didn't know the old V twin Suzukis had a form of slipper clutch .

Dusty

canuguzzi

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2015, 11:17:26 PM »
Now excuse me while I go out and throw the steaks on the block of dry ice because there is no such thing as cold really, there is just absence of heat and everyone knows dry ice burns too.

Peace  :boozing:

oldbike54

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2015, 11:22:50 PM »
Now excuse me while I go out and throw the steaks on the block of dry ice because there is no such thing as cold really, there is just absence of heat and everyone knows dry ice burns too.

Peace  :boozing:

While you are at it , buy a GT 750 and make it stop from a true 60 MPH in 117 feet  :evil:

Dusty

canuck750

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2015, 11:28:17 PM »
Education

Drinking and driving riding is dangerous

Helmets save lives

Loud pipes just piss people off

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2015, 12:10:31 AM »
Education

Drinking and driving riding is dangerous

Helmets save lives

Loud pipes just piss people off

:1:

When I saw the original question about safety advances, I also thought education.

I've got a couple new-riders at work (and I'm trying to get them off the Harley Sportsters...). However, they watch crashes on YouTube and analyze what went wrong and how to prevent similar errors. And since I'm an old fart and still reasonably fast (at least I seem blazingly fast to them), they want to talk situations with me.

The technology can only go so far - then the remaining errors are due to human factors. This is similar to safety training in the aviation industry. Historically, the causes of "incidents" were mostly mechanical. Then, as technology improved, the mechanical faults declined - which dropped the total number of incidents, but raised the percentage of incidents due to human factors. Today, the majority of airline incidents are due to human factors and the biggest safety advances have to do with better communication, decision making, situation awareness, etc.

On yesterday's "Scura Rally" a couple sport bike riders alerted us to the possibility of black ice ahead. That sort of communication, concern for fellow riders, and situation awareness is, IMO, just one example of education: the biggest advance in safety in the last decade.

BTW - during our "rally" we rounded one corner on Mulholland Drive that is notorious for filmed crashes. I recognized it and slowed way down. There's no f-ing way that I'm going down on that spot.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline John Warner

• Gosling
  • Growing old is mandatory, growing up is not . . .
    • Stelvio/V85 Owners Group FB
Single most significant safety advance in the last decade of M/C?
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2015, 12:44:53 AM »
Two-part test for car drivers.
It's still woefully easy for people to pass the car test, and until that changes significantly, all the electronic gizmos in the world won't help . . .  :sad:
Doc out . . .
Stelvio Owners Group on FB ~ https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf

canuguzzi

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2015, 02:01:30 AM »
While you are at it , buy a GT 750 and make it stop from a true 60 MPH in 117 feet  :evil:

Dusty

Oh look, double down because one thing might use sensors from another means they are the same thing.

If only all the Dodge Ram owners knew their trucks were actually Ford F150s because both use the same fuels.

Whoda thunk.

Hey Dusty, ever think of proving whatever Cycle World or whatever mag tested the thing was wrong instead of just saying so? Seems just because you say something it must be. Like ABS being the same thing as Traction Control right? Suspenders too tight?

If you can't prove otherwise, just say it ain't so.

Man really did land on the moon. I know its hard to believe but really, they did. And no, they didn't find little green men there nor any cheese.

But what the heck, you win, ABS is the same thing as Traction Control cause you know, you said so. Forget proving it, who needs proof when you can just say so. You are right and every motor vehicle manufacturer is wrong. How are I not believe?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:07:37 AM by Norge Pilot »

Penderic

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2015, 05:01:19 AM »
Situational Awareness!

New vehicles that can now talk to each other and provide important road/traffic conditions and recommendations to the rider and other drivers, in a timely and easy to comprehend way,of course!

http://www.vt.edu/spotlight/impact/2013-09-30-motorcycles/connected.html

Wheres my prize?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:52:24 AM by Penderic »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2015, 05:19:02 AM »
Some very rude comments here.

My friends who work at Triumph tell me that the ABS sensors and technology that goes with it make all the other stuff possible on the motorcycles they make.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2015, 06:04:00 AM »
I think the recent intro of airbag vests and jackets will prove to be huge.  Expensive now, but hopefully prices will come down.  Nice to have when all your TC, ABS, and sphincter control fails when the old lady pulls out in front of you. 
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2015, 06:17:37 AM »
All of this technology is meaningless without a solid rider training background and constant practice to hone your skills.  Avoiding problems before needing the technology to save your flesh is what I feel is most important.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Penderic

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2015, 06:24:57 AM »
Robots.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2015, 07:36:38 AM »
The way I see it, if you're a good enough rider, you don't need all these electronic aids to make up for your lack of competence.  A skilled rider instinctively knows what to do by feel in most conditions.  Either it comes to you automatically or you need an aid to get you thru the moment safely.

I don't need no stinkin' ABS!   The Guzzi integrated braking is all I need on most Tonti bikes.

I respectfully disagree with this . There is no doubt that skill is the no. one safety feature, however in certain situations it will only bail you out to a point. T.C. can prevent a situation from reaching a threshold where even the most skilled rider is doomed. In the age of 100 plus h.p. bikes it provides a huge advance in safety. The very best riders in the world rely on it every race so why not pass  it's benefits on to us street riders? I'm not saying every bike needs it , but something kicking out 100+ ft.lbs. of torque, can't hurt.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:49:41 AM by lucian »

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2015, 08:03:37 AM »
I must pull the KTM card again.  Bosch was first, working with KTM to incorporate lean sensitive TC/ABS on the 1190.  KTM received 1 year free before Bosch could sell the system to other MC brands.

Until you hit the brakes hard in a curve and NOT have the bike standup but just slow as you wish, traction allowing brakes to the max for the conditions, you have not ridden!
14 KTM 1190 Adv

oldbike54

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2015, 08:59:21 AM »
 When did we land on the moon and was it made of cheese ? Must have been asleep  :laugh:

Interesting way of to confuse the issue at hand , sure we landed on the moon , what does that have to do with this discussion  :huh:

Dusty

lucydad

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2015, 09:26:05 AM »
Hmmm, redirecting a bit away from the machinery itself (and my opinion the big plus is integrated ABS/braking/traction and CAD design)---what has changed?  To me:  safety training as in the many fine basic schools required before getting the M endorsement on a license.  Then there are forums where questions can be asked (i.e. best way to handle high speed Houston freeway riding) and getting truly valuable answers and advice. 

Damn I wish it would dry out here.   Roads are slime, and no sun, ugh.

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2015, 09:32:26 AM »
Isn't it great, how a discussion on wheel spin/lock can get so emotional  :grin: ?

What Rocker and Dusty are saying is of course absolutely correct ie, ABS and Traction Control are obviously not the same thing but they are related, and traction control was developed out of ABS. Here's a nice Link that says exactly that:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/28000-traction-control-explained.htm

John
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2015, 09:41:26 AM »
Bosch "Cornering ABS"  Try grabbing a handful of front brake in the middle of a turn on a wet road without it?

Or with it, unless they now calcuate lean angle.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2015, 10:22:51 AM »
sorry, I don't own a motorcycle newer that 15 years old.  Even my oldest bike with 80k miles has radial tires and cartridge forks.  Two of my 3 bikes have fuel injection.  All have a disc brakes. 

I guess I'll read about what I am missing.

I've been wearing helmets and gear for a long time.

Here ya go.  Cycle Gear sells ATGAT  cheaply available.  Now you can get full gear for a cheap price and just shop for it in town.  Of course the Internet helps too.  But it's great just to walk in and shop and can find everything you need at a cheap cost.  Finding riding pants, riding boots and gloves used to be a challenge.  Typically you could only get helmets and occasional jackets.  Also on-road and off-road stuff. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:17:07 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2015, 10:34:54 AM »
well way to go Chad. 

Set off a food fight over ABS and traction control.

:boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

:violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1:

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:51:56 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2015, 10:47:35 AM »
Like old school trained top road racer Nicky Hayden says, the  more electronic gizmos on a bike keep the rider from having to learn the skills they need to do the same thing w/o them.  The gizmo rider relies on them to bale his ass out when he can't cope with the situation.  The real answer is the rider learns the skills needed himself and is prepared for almost anything that he encounters.

Any rider who doesn't have the skills needed to control a 100 or more hp bike should not ride 1.  Hell, 70 hp is more than enough in most situations.   My LM IV had 62 hp on a dyno and it was way more than I really needed, thusly I sold it.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2015, 10:58:33 AM »
All my bikes are almost equally paralleled as far as technological advancement. Only one of the 8 even having fuel injection and none having fancy traction control or ABS or other modern wizardry. So in my case I'll have to say the biggest safety advance for me is cost effective the HID headlights.   
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here