Author Topic: V7-II? Feedback please.  (Read 13954 times)

Vasco DG

Re: V7-II? Feedback please.
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 01:50:03 PM »
That's the thing though, there is a one way valve in the return pipe and yes, it was fine, I checked it.

Craig's sump was over full but that wouldn't explain why it continued to pump out oil after it had vented sufficient to return case pressure to an acceptable level.

As it is the entire breather system seems clean and clear. I'm going to take it for a little canter this morning and see what happens. It's going to be a stinker today, 38*C this afternoon but by then Jude and I will be in a hire car heading to Wagga where it will be even hotter to eat hot Thai food and drink cold stuff with the Beetle clan!

Pete

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 08:35:37 PM »
No there is not! At least, not on my bike.
I used this point to drain the oil from the airbox.

The breather system on this V7II is
� one hose from each head to the frame under the tank
� one hose FROM THE FRAME to the SUMP via an inline valve
� one hose FROM THE FRAME to the AIRBOX
� NO HOSE from the airbox to the sump (or anywhere else)

All hose connections at the airbox, bar the one used for the hose from the frame, are blocked with little penises.
As I said, I removed the left side penis behind the left cover to drain the oil from the airbox.
There was over 200ml of oil and it soaked the air filter

I have been using this bike since April and done nearly 8000km without something like this occurring.
I lifted the rear of the tank to look but did not remove it completely.
No crimped hoses were obviously apparent.

Yikes....I hope this isn't a widespread problem or a common problem in waiting.  Gotta love all the "junk" that goes on the bikes that help protect the environment....my 2013 Stone never used a drop of oil, hope this is just an anomaly with the VII

Vasco DG

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 09:21:26 PM »
Well, I checked the breather and condenser system and there seemed to be no issues. The engine was overfilled but this wouldn't explain why it kept blowing it out after it had expelled enough to lower it to an acceptable level.

Anyway i drained the oil and replaced it filling it to halfway up the stick as is my want and then took it for a flog into Canberra after sticking a new air filter in in place of the saturated on. On return to the workshop there was no more oil expelled into the box.

The only theory I can come up with is that the filter, which is tiny, gets clogged easily. Since there isn't a MAF sensor when the map goes open loop it may cause the mixture to become grossly rich and wash the bores sufficiently to interfere with ring seal. This could lead to greater expulsion of gas than normal and it may overwhelm the breather. Once the filter is oil saturated the situation just gets worse.

Anyway, for now I'll give the bike back to Craig and ask him to keep an eye on it. It would also seem prudent to be over zealous with air filter servicing and replacement if what I am thinking is correct.

pete

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2017, 12:53:15 AM »
I know this thread is ancient but as an owner of a V7II Special I'd be interested to know if there was any further info worth sharing on this problem since the last post.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2017, 12:53:15 AM »

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2017, 03:03:52 PM »
Interesting read...V7ii Special here, 12,000 kms, and I clean my airbox out after every ride now that I'm checking.  I had not checked the airbox until this spring (ran the whole season), and the amount of oil accumulated over the season was the same as in a single ride...weird.  So it's behaving as Clancy's and not nearly as hot here in Toronto.

I've had the tank off, and it looks to be exactly same configuration as Clancy's.  Nothing from airbox to sump.

Now the bike may have been overfilled at some point, but not now.  So this week after a good long run, i disconnected the line at the airbox which goes to the upper frame connection, and expected to see oil come out.  But nothing really came out.

It's starting to bug me, so I'm thinking of some sort of catch bottle as I think Clancy has tried...or a test with a line from the frame straight out the back of the bike.

I have an oiled K&N in it now, but it did the same thing with the paper filter in it.

This bike likes to keep me busy...

And the puking transmission - I'm seeing a trend on this one.  It has now happened only twice while blasting through Virginia Interstate at 90 mph for 1.5 hrs with decent elevation changes.  We now believe that the elevation change is what does it. Curious if anyone has not had it happen while flogging it through decent elevation changes at over 80 MPH....

Now i did put 500ml in at the first change which may have been a little much.  So it is drained and now I'm putting in 450ml.  I will report what happens after my next run down to Virigina next spring (our theory is that it won't make a difference).  If it does it again, a transmission breather mod will be done.

My Jap bike and Ducati buddies are chuckling at Guzzi's breather design competence...

pete roper

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2017, 07:59:22 PM »
I can't see how elevation would make any difference but it's worth a try eh?

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2017, 08:09:16 PM »
I'm new to Guzzi's and fuel injection but once I work out how to look inside the airbox I'll let you know what I find in mine.

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2017, 10:15:19 PM »
The 90 MPH blast was after a day of decent riding.  So the theory is that the pressure change due to elevation change did it.  I'm hoping it was just slightly overfilled...

Offline waxi

• The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.
  • Gosling
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2017, 06:43:25 AM »
Meh, I don't think elevation has anything to do with it. Since new transmission is pressure fed I think this may be the cause, regardless of the oil amount. My theory is, that at high RPM's, pump is making just to much general pressure. I bet that if there would be only half of the oil in the gearbox it would still throw it out.

Regarding oil in the air-box: I have installed catch can, which accumulates 3/4 of the oil, but I still get some mist under the air filter. Apparently I have some different venting configuration, because I have additional hose which goes from the bottom of the airbox down to the exhaust. It is zip-tied to left lambda. This means that when to much oil would accumulate in the airbox it should simply drain on the road (like acid venting on older, non-VRLA batteries).

When you inspect airbox for oil, please, take a very good care on screwing in the screws of air-filter cover. Plastic seems to be very fragile... I have already managed to strip one of the four threads.
Moto Guzzi V7 II Special, 2015
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998
Tomos Automatik A3 ML, 1987, oldtimer

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2017, 06:48:44 PM »
According to the manual I have to take it to the dealer to service the air filter. It's under warranty so I'll leave it alone but looking at the paper through the gap it looks very dry. Less than 3000km's on clock if that matters.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »
According to the manual I have to take it to the dealer to service the air filter. It's under warranty so I'll leave it alone but looking at the paper through the gap it looks very dry. Less than 3000km's on clock if that matters.
Are you in the US? Because, if so, that's patently untrue.

More importantly the air filter is easily accessed under the seat.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

pete roper

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2017, 07:30:38 PM »

I've never heard such a bunch of spurious wank!

pete roper

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2017, 07:34:35 PM »
Meh, I don't think elevation has anything to do with it. Since new transmission is pressure fed I think this may be the cause, regardless of the oil amount. My theory is, that at high RPM's, pump is making just to much general pressure. I bet that if there would be only half of the oil in the gearbox it would still throw it out.

Ummmm! The fact that there is an oil pump delivering oil to the bushings in the box does not mean that it is pressurising the box. To do that something would have to be added to the volume of the box, that doesn't happen, the pump just moves stuff around inside the cases.

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2017, 09:07:33 PM »
V7II Manual. It seems ridiculous to me too but that's how I read it.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2017, 09:11:37 PM »

Most every owners manual I've ever seen made ridiculous references to having a dealer only do some service, that doesn't mean it's legal for them (in the US) to deny any warranty claim if you do it yourself.

In the US they need to prove you did it improperly and caused damage to deny any part of the warranty (and then only the part that directly relates).

So for this particular job you basically need to show you can breathe, or walk (not walk and chew gum, that's actually MORE complicated than this particular job), and you'll be fine.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 10:00:24 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2017, 09:26:41 PM »
It's probably the same here too. To be safe I'll be sure to hold my breath when I do it. :laugh:

Offline waxi

• The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.
  • Gosling
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2017, 12:53:38 AM »
Ummmm! The fact that there is an oil pump delivering oil to the bushings in the box does not mean that it is pressurising the box. To do that something would have to be added to the volume of the box, that doesn't happen, the pump just moves stuff around inside the cases.

Yes, it shouldn't, but somehow I leave that option open. It's a Guzzi!
Moto Guzzi V7 II Special, 2015
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998
Tomos Automatik A3 ML, 1987, oldtimer

pete roper

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2017, 12:57:34 AM »
Laws of physics say 'No'.

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2017, 08:44:45 AM »

It matters not what the owners manual says. The law of the land in the US is the Magnuson-Moss warranty act here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2017, 01:37:23 PM »
It matters not what the owners manual says. The law of the land in the US is the Magnuson-Moss warranty act here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

Paul
I'm not getting the impression that applies to Mbug.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2017, 03:48:16 PM »
I'm not getting the impression that applies to Mbug.

Don't know.... maybe,  maybe not. :popcorn:

Paul

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2017, 04:03:24 PM »
Don't know.... maybe,  maybe not. :popcorn:

Paul
Then what else did he mean by:

It's probably the same here too.

Which was posted right after I explained how it is in the US?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:03:49 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Bill Hagan

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2017, 07:09:40 PM »

Was curious about this, as it is an interesting -- and important -- point.

It seems that Canada's provinces have equivalents of the Moss-Magnusen Warranty Act.  See, e.g., http://blog.tdotperformance.ca/guides/warranty-battles-oem-vs-aftermarket/

Bill

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2017, 07:13:27 PM »
Was curious about this, as it is an interesting -- and important -- point.

It seems that Canada's provinces have equivalents of the Moss-Magnusen Warranty Act.  See, e.g., http://blog.tdotperformance.ca/guides/warranty-battles-oem-vs-aftermarket/

Bill
Sweet eh?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2017, 08:51:45 PM »
I'm in Australia. We do have similar laws but best to decide if it's worth the potential hassle and hoop jumping involved should a warranty issue arise. Obviously the air box check is a pretty minor thing. As mentioned I'll pause breathing in case it distracts me and I may even stick my tongue out for improved concentration while I check it.

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2017, 08:58:51 PM »

All I know is what he said, not what he meant.  I don't make assumptions for the obvious reason.  :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu

Paul

Paul

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2017, 09:15:23 PM »
All I know is what he said, not what he meant.  I don't make assumptions for the obvious reason.  :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu

Paul

Paul
I'm not talking about assumptions, just logical deductions.

It's not a big deal. I'm just pointing out it seemed likely he wasn't in the US by that point.

No matter...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2017, 07:03:32 PM »
OK, as an experiment I'm going to delete the non return valve tomorrow and then Craig can take it away and flog the crap out of it and check the oil a very hour or so to see if any problems.

Pete
Hello, just wondering if you tested the bike with that valve out (i assume bypassed)?  I fill mine half way between the "marks" and still get some oil in the box.  Also, sorry for the stupid question, but I assume that valve opens when the bike is running...correct?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here