Author Topic: Oxford Heated Grips - 3 month report  (Read 2243 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Oxford Heated Grips - 3 month report
« on: April 15, 2016, 09:16:45 PM »
Installed the Oxford heated Sport grips on my 1200 Sport just before New Years and have had the opportunity to ride during varing degrees of cold weather throughout this winter. They work fantastic! Five heat settings.  I've used them in temps from 35-65 degrees. A great addition and for basically only $89 and my installation time, well worth it! 
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

oldbike54

Re: Oxford Heated Grips - 3 month report
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 10:34:26 PM »
 Thanks Guy .

Dusty

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 05:07:10 AM »
I have them on 3 bikes and love them. with the auto shut off u can hook them right to the battery. much simpler.
only thing slightly wrong is there should be one lower heat setting. the lowest is a bit too high sometimes. "nit-picking"
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

pete roper

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 05:33:58 AM »
I had the Oxfords on my POS Griso for years. My opinion is they suck. Apart from being feeble in the warmth department their controllers are flakey.

Just this week in anticipation of the Ghetto trip to the Flinders Ranges I bought the Guzzi kit which comes with a throttle cam for the twistgrip. Unfortunately I also had to buy another Oxford kit as they don't sell the controllers separately but a bit of cut and shut to get the connectors right and I now have acceptably *Thin* grips, (The Oxfords are crappily fat!) and a decent heat output on both grips, (The Oxford's were always feeble on the right.). If anyone has an old set of Oxford's that still work, (Hmmmm?) and they need new grips without a controller? Let me know. Yours for the usual donation to Medicienes sans frontiers.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 05:33:58 AM »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 12:13:55 PM »
I had Oxfords on my Honda NT and they worked well for what they were.  I did like them when the temps would turn cooler, like going over a mountain pass, and I did not want to stop and change gloves.  But, for most of my riding they did not work well.

Why?  I found out that I rarely have my fingers wrapped around the bars when I ride.  I like to keep one or two fingers on the brake and clutch levers and just rest my palms on the grips.  Heated grips do not heat if your fingers are not touching them  :)  Now I have heated gloves and am a happy camper.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 06:07:58 PM »
Strange to see conflicting results. I've been using them on various bikes for over 10 years, and they've always been extremely hot, except for when they were on my Royal Enfield Bullet, but I blame that on a weak electrical system.
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

pete roper

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 06:19:46 PM »
Weird innit? I know loads of folks who are happy with Oxfords but I've had two sets now, both equally disappointing. The combination of Guzzi grips and Oxford controller seems to work well though.

I also have a Gerbings heated jacket and gloves which are reall life savers for my arthritic hands.

Pete

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
I went with the Bike Master (under other brands too). Love the grips better than stock Griso grips but for warmth I prefer heated glove liners. Nice to have both as there are times when you don't have the liners then the grips fill in nicely.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 09:32:58 PM »
Like I said in my original post, they work great. I do have Stelvio hand guards on my 1200 Sport which help out. Both grips heat evenly and the lowest of 5 setting gives just a hint of warmth which is nice on 65 degree days. Auto shut-off is great too. For $89, I couldn't be more pleased.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here