Author Topic: severe infestation of mice in car HELP  (Read 15192 times)

Offline Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
Re: severe infestation of mice in car HELP
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2016, 04:04:52 PM »
In my Dad's pole barn is a bucket with a few inches of water.. the bait (peanut butter) is on a spool that's on a rod.. they walk out on the rod but when they step on the spool it's like a log roller, they all end up in the drink.. some weekends when I go there I have to fish out a half dozen drowned mice. I should make a video..

make a walkway up to the edge of the bucket and they find the bait lickety split.

These work as high production traps.  There is a huge variety of working designs to try.  Search "bucket trap, mice".  There's a bunch on youtube or google images.  For me, bacon bits (not the imitation bottled type) mixed up with peanut butter is irresistible to the mice.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 04:08:15 PM by Matt Story »
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2016, 05:05:52 PM »
  Page one of this thread has a couple of photos of a cuddly little mongoose at his friendliest.
 At least that's what they look like around here.  How they must look to a mouse may be different
 since they are bigger, faster, and well armed with claws and teeth like razors.
 Also they have a racial hatred of other rodents.  They will murder them even if they don't want to eat them.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2016, 06:03:26 PM »
If the glass hadn't been between the one in the photo and my hand, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't still have all ten digits.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2016, 08:12:46 PM »
 But you could brag that you lost them to a mongoose.  For his size he is one of the meanest little things on the planet.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2016, 08:12:46 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2016, 08:18:30 PM »
I got my leg raked by an otter -- twice.  I still have scars from the second one.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2016, 08:37:26 PM »
You know, if you rolled the car down the boat ramp and dunked it up to the roof- it would take care of the whole lot of them right quick.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

kirby1923

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2016, 08:51:44 PM »
But then you would be trading rat smell for fishy wet dog smell!

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2016, 09:08:50 PM »
You could try gassing them to kill what's in the car

Buy a bunch of dry ice and put it into buckets or pans of water inside the car and lock it up tight. Pretty soon they'll all suffocate. It's not a permanent solution because it won't have residual effect, but you'll likely kill everything that's in the car. If you're lucky they'll all try to run away and die out in the open.

It goes without saying you don't try and get in the car without airing it out for at least ten minutes lest you suffer the same fate as the meese.

CO2 is odorless and the mice would die in place...... in their little holes smell up the car. I figured on rubbing alcohol sans battery connected  as the flash point is 172 degrees.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2016, 09:35:12 PM »

AAHHHHH The Memories...

Paul :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

SteveAZ

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2016, 10:43:02 PM »
I don't understand the level of disneyfication that has folks listing the viruses and plague carried by vermin and then a description of how they safely transport the germ generators to someone else's house and gently let them go.  It's a very sweet gesture, having your li'l hearts bleed like that and all, but it's not solving anything.  You're just moving the problem into someone else's car.  If you're going to go through the motions, do it for real.

THEY'RE VERMIN!!!!  KILL THEM ALL!!!!

That's funny. I grew up killing deer, elk and all manner of small critters for food.

We can't all be hardcore Alaskans I guess.

I'll step on the next mouse I see so you'll think I'm a real man.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2016, 10:53:31 PM »
Then give the good folks here your address and you can be the official plague sanctuary.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2016, 10:54:58 PM »
look at the upside, you can use the high occupancy lane on the highway

oldbike54

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2016, 07:56:53 AM »
look at the upside, you can use the high occupancy lane on the highway

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2016, 09:55:51 AM »
CO2 is odorless and the mice would die in place..

It's odorless, but in high concentration, when it contacts wet mucous membranes, it makes enough carbonic acid to burn like crazy.  I've accidentally started to take a breath of CO2, and there's no way I could finish that breath, since a coughing fit ensued.  But still, there's no guarantee that a bunch of coughing mice could quickly find their way out of the car.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2016, 04:54:46 PM »
It's odorless, but in high concentration, when it contacts wet mucous membranes, it makes enough carbonic acid to burn like crazy.  I've accidentally started to take a breath of CO2, and there's no way I could finish that breath, since a coughing fit ensued.  But still, there's no guarantee that a bunch of coughing mice could quickly find their way out of the car.

Interesting Jim as I had to pack special blood samples in CO2 for a 24 hour air shipment.  I had the package in my lap  while I sat there breaking up the CO2 and packing the frozen tubes.  It was right in my face and i had no reaction to it.?
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2016, 05:02:51 PM »
Being heavier than air, any free CO2 was probably flowing down and around things like water would.  Next time you have the chance, and have a cooler full of the stuff, stick your head in and try to take a breath.  It's pretty exciting.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 05:03:12 PM by Triple Jim »

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2016, 05:39:16 PM »
Being heavier than air, any free CO2 was probably flowing down and around things like water would.  Next time you have the chance, and have a cooler full of the stuff, stick your head in and try to take a breath.  It's pretty exciting.   :laugh:

Oh, I have a FAR more constructive suggestion - just make a large batch of homemade wine or beer in a 35 gallon container, then stick your head in and try to breath.

Granted, it's not PURE CO2, but you'll get the general idea.

AND, when you're done, you'll have homebrew.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
My plants really like it when I loose the kraken on them. At ~1500ppm co2 they grow at a rate you can see from hour to hour.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2016, 06:09:42 PM »
You're absolutely right, Norm.  I have that stuff around all the time here.  In fact, the last time I sucked in CO2 was when I was sniffing a 15 gallon batch that was fermenting in a 32 gallon Rubbermaid trash can.  You got anything good fermenting?

RK, that's something I need to try, escpecially with all the free CO2 I have around here.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:10:44 PM by Triple Jim »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here