Author Topic: Harley Davidson Apparel Envy  (Read 6171 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Harley Davidson Apparel Envy
« on: May 09, 2016, 09:13:01 AM »
its not bad enough that Harley beats out Moto Guzzi 10,000 to 1 in my area when it comes to their motorcycles but when it comes to T-shirts, decals, patches, jackets, license plates, it's probably 1,000,000 to 1! I see riders and wannabes walking around with these beautiful full color Harley T-shirts. Does anyone sell decent looking Guzzi shirts???

I realize Moto Guzzi is by far the worst at marketing their products. ((Harley is the very best at that) But surely SOMEBODY must be screen printing some beautiful full color Guzzi T-shirts. How about window decals too? Or do I have to create my own... which I used to do?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Harley Davidson Apparel Envy
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 09:44:37 AM »
I used to be in the garment decorating business myself. The thing Harley has over on us is we don't have a Guzzi shop in every mid to large size city to sell the stuff. There's been talk of printing WG tees but who wants to stick their neck out and print a bunch of them for sale and maybe ship them all over the country AND collect the $$. Then there's the issue of sizes, colors, front print, back, pocket, no pocket, long sleeve, short sleeve. Call Harper's they have some nice one's ready to ship!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 09:48:25 AM »
I forgot to mention hats. They would be nice too.

Just curious... How many Guzzi owners do you think there are in North America to sell to?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 10:20:55 AM »
I used to be in the garment decorating business myself. The thing Harley has over on us is we don't have a Guzzi shop in every mid to large size city to sell the stuff. There's been talk of printing WG tees but who wants to stick their neck out and print a bunch of them for sale and maybe ship them all over the country AND collect the $$. Then there's the issue of sizes, colors, front print, back, pocket, no pocket, long sleeve, short sleeve. Call Harper's they have some nice one's ready to ship!

We can do WG shirts if we get 30 prepaid orders . We gotta pay Luap for using his logo , probably 20 bucks a pop plus a couple of bucks shipping .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 10:20:55 AM »

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 10:30:32 AM »
try this link:

http://www.cafepress.com/+guzzi+gifts

they have some stuff you may like.
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 11:34:50 AM »
That's why I made the 3D decals I offer.  Red oval and a Tri-Color.  Made my own hat, too.  You can't find much "stuff" to wear.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 12:09:57 PM »
It's an interesting thing to think about.

They are in fact Italian.
People love garmentry/merchandising associated with an image.

Seems if things were handled differently, MG could make more money or profit from a merchandising line than they currently do off of motorcycles.

Capitalizing on the implied image of the romanticism of inter-war motorcycling on the continent... ready made to be seen on celebrities and models.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 12:12:14 PM »
That's why I made the 3D decals I offer.  Red oval and a Tri-Color.  Made my own hat, too.  You can't find much "stuff" to wear.

Lets see that decal dude!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 12:21:48 PM »
Let's don't forget sizing while we are at it. It seems like the MOCO always has good quality clothes/rainwear  for we who identify as lardarses....Always a struggle to find big euro based sizes.     

I'm trying to remember those guys who marketed Guzzi Tees via the MGNOC. They have a good selection and product if they are still around.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 12:25:05 PM by Shorty »
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Joe A.

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 01:30:08 PM »
Lets see that decal dude!

I did get a chance to see KoF's work when I ran into him at a dealer a month or so ago, very high end stuff!

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 03:05:41 PM »
I'm not the least bit envious.
At least if I see someone wearing a Guzzi tee shirt, chances are they have a bike to go with it :boozing:
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

twowings

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 04:28:56 PM »
Harper's has nice T-shirts...

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 07:39:26 PM »
Harper's has nice T-shirts...

As does MPH.  Since they're not a dealer anymore, you guys had better buy them up while they're still in stock.  Destined to become a collector's item.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 11:56:16 PM »
For great Guzzi shirts http://www.precisionimprint.com
High quality printing and shirts, they last a long time and where I buy shirts for my shop.
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 06:37:25 AM »
Too many MG owners would be searching CL and eBay for used clothes, not enough would be buying new clothes.
2016 V7II Stone
2016 Suzuki TU250X (lost in the great flood of ought 16)

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 07:04:59 AM »
For great Guzzi shirts http://www.precisionimprint.com
High quality printing and shirts, they last a long time and where I buy shirts for my shop.

Nice stuff. Harpers has some as well, but they're pretty prominently branded. Nothing wrong with showing a little support.

Somewhere along the line, I developed an aversion to branded and store branded clothing. So much of the Harley stuff strikes me as gaudy and cluttered. With Guzzi being a brand I have an investment in, and being unique, it changes that. The Precision Imprint stuff is nice. Simple logo presentation. I love that V-Twin t shirt.

Here's another I've bought a couple of, unique and kind of arty.

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 08:43:49 AM »
I'm not the least bit envious.
At least if I see someone wearing a Guzzi tee shirt, chances are they have a bike to go with it :boozing:

:thumb:
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline DucDucGuzz

• Part 3
  • New Egg
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 10:24:19 AM »
Here's one I have...
'20 MG V7 Stone S/‘20 MG V85TT/'12 Ducati SF848/'07 Ducati Monster S4RS

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 10:34:32 AM »
Given the retro hipster cred that the V7 currently has, you'd think Aprilia would be marketing apparel in full force. Look at Dainese, with their overpriced Vintage collection.

The irony with Harley-wear is that almost none of it is 'technical'--no armor, no Kevlar, etc.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 10:45:55 AM »
I have to reject  the urge to pick on my coworker who wears some 'Harley' garb nearly every day.  I find it pathetic to mark ones identity so narrowly with commercial branding - and do it so repeatedly.  Our office has a very loose business casual dress code that allows pretty much any shirt with a collar, and jeans as long as they're not blue.  I often think of saying "Oh, I see you went with the Harley shirt today" or "Went with the black today huh?".
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 11:15:47 AM »
Given the retro hipster cred that the V7 currently has, you'd think Aprilia would be marketing apparel in full force. Look at Dainese, with their overpriced Vintage collection.

The irony with Harley-wear is that almost none of it is 'technical'--no armor, no Kevlar, etc.

Actually I'd argue that's a bad impression.

Maybe because those styles weren't traditionally popular (maybe they still aren't what most wear).

I remember buying a Harley branded jacket back in the 90s, and I had to look for one that had vents (and yeah, I don't think many or maybe any had armor back then).

But things had started changing.

Jenn bought a textile Harley branded jacket about a decade ago that was basically a rebranded Joe Rocket, it had armor (elbow, shoulder, & back), plus waterproof liner and removable panels to expose mesh venting.

Today the Harley website shows 60 Jackets for men

http://www.harley-davidson.com/shop/mens-motorcycle-jackets#!pageSize=64

A quick glance at the sort by feature shows that although only 7 COME WITH ARMOR, fully 54 of them HAVE ARMOR POCKETS (and Harley even sells the armor), 44 of them are vented, and 41 of them contain reflective material.

Most are leather, and black, as one would expect, but there are a FEW other colors, and there are textiles.

That's a far cry from the less functional jackets of the 90s.

Though I think I'll still stick with Stich.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 11:18:53 AM »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 01:03:51 PM »
I have a couple dozen customers, including everyone who works for the garbage company, that are always wearing Harley stuff from the vests and leather hats to the wallets with dog chains.  Some have those big back window murals on their pickup trucks, and one has a "Harley Davidson themed" truck that's plastered in logos and done up in the moco's colors.

Although they all tease me for not having a 'real bike', none of them ride.  My favorite comeback is "Which of the BIKE on the curb is yours, now?"

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 03:04:18 PM »
A quick glance at the sort by feature shows that although only 7 COME WITH ARMOR, fully 54 of them HAVE ARMOR POCKETS (and Harley even sells the armor), 44 of them are vented, and 41 of them contain reflective material.

Most are leather, and black, as one would expect, but there are a FEW other colors, and there are textiles.

Though I think I'll still stick with Stich.
I stand corrected! Interesting to note. I wonder if Harley's aging, and wealthier, clientele are demanding more safety features. Okay, back to Guzzi...
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 03:10:24 PM »
I stand corrected! Interesting to note. I wonder if Harley's aging, and wealthier, clientele are demanding more safety features. Okay, back to Guzzi...

If I had to guess, I think that the Harley crowd has diversified somewhat over the years. Sure it's still largely a blue collar, ride on Sundays, group that is going for some sort of image or lifestyle, but on the fringe of that are very serious long distance riders, and younger riders who came from metric bikes and both sub-cultures understand the usefulness of decent gear.

It's not quite as rare to see a FF helmet on a Harley these etc.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 05:05:03 PM »
I have a couple dozen customers, including everyone who works for the garbage company, that are always wearing Harley stuff from the vests and leather hats to the wallets with dog chains.  Some have those big back window murals on their pickup trucks, and one has a "Harley Davidson themed" truck that's plastered in logos and done up in the moco's colors.
Although they all tease me for not having a 'real bike', none of them ride.  My favorite comeback is "Which of the BIKE on the curb is yours, now?"

That's funny...non-riding posers needling an actual motorcycle owner. 
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 06:04:09 PM »
no envy here on HD clothing selections. its all the same ol same ol most of the time anyway.

whats cool to see is the every once in awhile Guzzi shirt or Triumph or some really old school Penton or Beta or Hercules stuff for example.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here