Author Topic: Differences between a Breva 750 and the V7 Stone/Special  (Read 7358 times)

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Differences between a Breva 750 and the V7 Stone/Special
« on: May 22, 2016, 09:45:55 AM »
Saw the cherry red 2004 Breva 750 for sale in the swap meet. Besides cosmetics, is the engine power / torque similar to the V7's? Any other major differences?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
Re: Differences between a Breva 750 and the V7 Stone/Special
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »
The engine is the same as a V7 classic pre ~ 2012. The 5 speed gearbox is the same 5 speed as V7 up to the recent V7s 6 although some ealier breva had a 6 but not the same as the new 6. The frame is essentially the same as the v7 although the pegs and seat etc are different. Brakes same.
Riding the breva obviosly has a more modern saddle scculpted tank to help maintain a good riding position. Later model V7 have a little more power and a offer a little more mpg. If you find a good breva and its cheaper than a v7 and you like it then no reason not to buy a breva over a v7 realize though the syle of the v7 is more desirable to most so brevas are generally harder to sell than v7s.

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 12:27:56 PM »
I used to own a 2007 Breva and presently have a 2010 V7 Classic.  The Classic puts you in the same position as the newer V7's (where you sit ON the bike) and the Breva puts you more IN the bike.  I like both but the models that came after the Breva will allow you to move around more on the seat if that's important to you.  I thoroughly enjoyed the Breva and sold it only due heart problems that kept me from riding for around 2 1/2 years.  When my health improved enough to where I could ride again, I immediately bought another V7 and found a very nice V7 Classic only 40 miles from our home.  I have had no major problems from either V7 model. 
The 2013 and newer V7's have a single throttle body while the earlier models have dual throttle bodies and once they're set correctly, there's very little (if any) variances that will need tinkering with.  Easy to simple to service and they get very good gas mileage. 
NO longer can ride

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 12:58:09 PM »
Back in 2013 Jay and I rode his then V7C back to back with my then new V7 Stone.

The difference between the 2TB motor and the 1TB motor was big enough that Jay sold his V7C and picked up a later V7R.

The later motor feels stronger across the powerband, will run comfortably a couple hundred less rpm in higher gears, and is moderately easier service (no throttle bodies to sync, very easy access to AC, and improved oil breather system that seems to help prevent oil loss from carryover/burning).

IIRC correctly the B7 had different size cast wheels which may have contributed to excellent handling, and a riding position that was more in than on the bike. But I believe it had less fuel capacity than the 1TB bikes with their 5.8g tanks.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 12:58:09 PM »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 03:26:11 PM »
My calculator says that my red (the fast colour) has a 4.76 US gal tank. Experts say that the last 1/2 litre in the tank can't be used. Never tested that. I have done 240 miles on a tank and still had a litre left.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

pete roper

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 03:55:23 PM »
The engine is the same as a V7 classic pre ~ 2012. The 5 speed gearbox is the same 5 speed as V7 up to the recent V7s 6 although some ealier breva had a 6 but not the same as the new 6. The frame is essentially the same as the v7 although the pegs and seat etc are different. Brakes same.
Riding the breva obviosly has a more modern saddle scculpted tank to help maintain a good riding position. Later model V7 have a little more power and a offer a little more mpg. If you find a good breva and its cheaper than a v7 and you like it then no reason not to buy a breva over a v7 realize though the syle of the v7 is more desirable to most so brevas are generally harder to sell than v7s.

Sorry, incorrect. None of the baby Brevas used a six speed. Only the 1100's had the extra ratio and they are an entirely different animal.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the Stones etc with the single TB also had their pistons and rings redesigned and this seems to have cured the weird problem suffered by earlier models of them suddenly and with no warning drinking all their engine oil and running their big ends!

Pete

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 04:33:23 PM »
Sorry, incorrect. None of the baby Brevas used a six speed. Only the 1100's had the extra ratio and they are an entirely different animal.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the Stones etc with the single TB also had their pistons and rings redesigned and this seems to have cured the weird problem suffered by earlier models of them suddenly and with no warning drinking all their engine oil and running their big ends!

Pete

What earlier models?  My `04 750 Breva has 48K miles on it and it doesn't use much, if any dino motor oil.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 04:50:40 PM by Arizona Wayne »

pete roper

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 05:13:34 PM »

What earlier models?  My `04 750 Breva has 48K miles on it and it doesn't use much, if any dino motor oil.

Any of the twin TB 750's. I have no idea what causes it and it seems to only occur under certain very specific circumstances and I have no idea what they are either! They do do it though. The weird thing is that they can go for tens of thousands of Km with no problem at all and then one day the oil just 'Vanishes'!

A classic example was one of my customers who lent his bike to his daughter to ride down to the coast. This was a well maintained machine and he checked the oil before she set off from Canberra. From Canberra to Mogo is about a hundred miles. It ran its big ends at Mogo! The oil had vanished. Thing is this isn't an isolated example, I know of several other bikes that have suffered similarly. Since the piston and ring redesign though the problem seems to have disappeared.

Pete

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 06:18:12 PM »

Pete

Actually that's part of what I was referring to when I mentioned the breather system as my swag has been it is related to those changes.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 06:41:34 PM »
Any of the twin TB 750's. I have no idea what causes it and it seems to only occur under certain very specific circumstances and I have no idea what they are either! They do do it though. The weird thing is that they can go for tens of thousands of Km with no problem at all and then one day the oil just 'Vanishes'!

A classic example was one of my customers who lent his bike to his daughter to ride down to the coast. This was a well maintained machine and he checked the oil before she set off from Canberra. From Canberra to Mogo is about a hundred miles. It ran its big ends at Mogo! The oil had vanished. Thing is this isn't an isolated example, I know of several other bikes that have suffered similarly. Since the piston and ring redesign though the problem seems to have disappeared.

Pete

Sounds pretty suspect to me.   I loaned my bike and then............... :rolleyes:

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 07:14:21 PM »
I recall a Breva owner, from Europe perhaps (?) who said the Breva had the most comfortable seat he'd ever found on a bike.

The V7 is more "standard" like other old school bikes.

So....just food for thought.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

pete roper

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 08:06:29 PM »

Sounds pretty suspect to me.   I loaned my bike and then............... :rolleyes:

Nothing suspect about it. As I said it is a far from isolated example. I'm not suggesting that all twin TB bikes are going to do it and I certainly have no idea of the cause although ring flutter would seem the most likely. Its one of the reasons that I recommend one of Ed's sump extensions on the twin TB models though. Not that it'll cure it, simply the extra litre of oil greatly increases the chance of catching it before it does damage. ts a very good idea to check your oil VERY regularly and often on these engines is all.

Pete

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 08:08:38 PM »
I recall a Breva owner, from Europe perhaps (?) who said the Breva had the most comfortable seat he'd ever found on a bike.

The V7 is more "standard" like other old school bikes.

So....just food for thought.

That's true at least for me.  It's like a Corbin seat in that it's not soft, but it fits my body like a glove.  Even my wife likes it for 500 mile rides/day on her part.   We used to ride 2up a lot on it's stock seat.   :thumb:

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 09:19:58 PM »
Personally, I don't particularly like the Breva seat.  I find that after a an hour or so my tailbone hurts.  I don't know why manufacturers think that you have to sit in a bike.  Guess it is a HD thing!!!The Breva seat doesn't allow you to shift around.  I use a gel pad and a sheepskin which makes it tolerable on long trips.  Nothing available aftermarket that I've found.  Recently put a Corbin Dual Canyon on my NT700V.  So far so good.  It's firm to the point of being hard but the pressure is on the sits bones where it should be and not your tailbone. 
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 09:43:06 PM »
Nothing suspect about it. As I said it is a far from isolated example. I'm not suggesting that all twin TB bikes are going to do it and I certainly have no idea of the cause although ring flutter would seem the most likely. Its one of the reasons that I recommend one of Ed's sump extensions on the twin TB models though. Not that it'll cure it, simply the extra litre of oil greatly increases the chance of catching it before it does damage. ts a very good idea to check your oil VERY regularly and often on these engines is all.

Pete

I am aware that a common 750 issue is the front cranshaft seal leaks oil if you run it @ 5K or more rpm.  Many replace the seal.  I use it as a governor to keep my speed down.  So I do check the oil level regularly.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 09:50:01 PM »
Personally, I don't particularly like the Breva seat.  I find that after a an hour or so my tailbone hurts.  I don't know why manufacturers think that you have to sit in a bike.  Guess it is a HD thing!!!The Breva seat doesn't allow you to shift around.  I use a gel pad and a sheepskin which makes it tolerable on long trips.  Nothing available aftermarket that I've found.  Recently put a Corbin Dual Canyon on my NT700V.  So far so good.  It's firm to the point of being hard but the pressure is on the sits bones where it should be and not your tailbone.

Do you have the stock handlebar?  I ask because if my 750 Breva was as you describe yours is I couldn't ride it.  On my Breva I lean forward some so my back can stay comfortable all day.  I can't ride all day upright unless I have back support. All my bikes/scooters are set up so I lean forward some to be able to ride all day comfortably. Or maybe  you are a lot taller than me.  I'm 5'10" tall w/30" inseam.

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2016, 09:59:45 PM »
No. I am a short arse.  5'8" if I haven't shrunk too much of late..  Stock bars.  Some forward lean.  I had a Ducati Multistrada 620 which I put 60,000km on with the stock seat, which you sat on, not in.  Harder is better than soft in my opinion when it comes to seats.  I was a long distance cyclist and a seat is meant to sit on, not in.
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2016, 11:29:38 PM »
I commute to work on an 05 750B.  Overall does a great job.  When you ask it to pull hard over 80 mph it has to work a bit to get the job done.  But 90 and 100 available just takes a little time.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 04:48:00 AM »
My Breva is the most fantastically comfortable bike I have ever had. I am 5' 7" and the bike is bog stock standard. When I was having leg and hip problems the Breva was the most comfortable seat in the house. I did put on a sheepskin when I first got it and that made a huge difference. It was a short hair model (almost no hair now) but it still does the job.

Some of them did blow their oil. Mine never has, but I do check it regularly and carry 250mls of 10W60 with me at all times. I do check the breather pipes but they have remained clear from day one. Be lucky if it uses 200mls of oil between services.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here