Author Topic: Norge Riders Head North!!!!! (Alaska - June 2017)  (Read 15224 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Norge Riders Head North!!!!! (Alaska - June 2017)
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2017, 07:48:52 PM »
Hi David(Solarmoose) this is Matt with the red Norge , formerly of Anchorage.
Regards
Matt
Jeez, nice bike Matt..

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2017, 07:49:50 PM »
Is this trip happening??
I'm looking for someone(s) to ride to Alaska with.
I was there in 2009 and there is more that I want to see.
If this plan is still alive I will post more info.
Dan
Stay on 'em Reddy

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2017, 12:25:58 PM »
Jeez, nice bike Matt..

Thanks Huzo, Those long Alaska winters were stimulus for adding bits here and there.

66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2017, 04:15:04 PM »
Thanks Huzo, Those long Alaska winters were stimulus for adding bits here and there.

No good if we went anywhere together. I'd get on the wrong bike by mistake ! Can you tell me your bikes history, with regard to miles, problems or generally how you have gotten on together ? PM, if you like, but might be of interest to other Norgites.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:19:29 PM by Huzo »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2017, 04:15:04 PM »

Offline Matteo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2017, 05:48:29 PM »
It's funny that when I bought the bike in Seattle I rode to Oregon to put on miles for the first service and then went directly to Anchorage. So it's first trip was to Alaska. Had fun touring the state and running up and down the Alcan and Cassiar highways a few times. Unfortunately on one of my trips to Dawson over "Top of the world highway" the oil pump came apart right on the border. I managed to limp into Tok junction when a buddy passing in his van stomped on his brakes and gave me an 8 hour lift to Anchorage. While repairing the damage I changed out the front brembo disks, added hand guards. The lower fairing came off in favor of a Breva chin guard. Most of the paint was chipped. I got sick of the dipstick dance so I took a hole saw and made a hole big enough to put my hand through. Installed some Heli bars, led brake lights in my Givi Trunk. Mud flap. Rewired the wind shield  control to one up and down toggle switch, and added a cigarette lighter to the dash.
As you can see I have a few other Guzzi's in the barn so I usually reserve the Norge for crappy weather or dark hours as the light spread was best for spotting those sneaky Moose lurking on the side of the road that i nearly clipped a few times with my SP that didn't light the left lane very well. So the miles on it are under 40K. I used my SP the most until I sold it, then I put knobbies on my Jackal and had a blast with that. If I do make another trip north it will be on the Norge, the power delivery, weather protection,lighting, fuel efficiency and comfort are still my favorite. Even fully loaded it will fly by a train of semi's and RV's up those long mountain passes with ease.
After 30 years my wife wanted warmer weather and better shopping so we moved to the Portland area😎
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:18:45 PM by Matteo Manfredi »
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Online ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »
Not going to be on a Norge, but Judi and I are planning a trip to Alaska also. Taking the ferry up and riding around and back down. 6 nights on the ferry, with cabin and sidecar rig,  not cheap! Disembark in Homer.  Visiting friends in Fairbanks and visiting McCarthy with them. Will be in Anchorage for the 4th of July.  Willing to connect if the chance arises.
Some pms sent.
Always open to suggestions and advice.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2017, 08:23:36 PM »
Homer is an excellent starting point!  The Homer Spit is Alaska's "Cannery Row",  If Cannery Row had happened in the Haight-Ashbury district and aged poorly.  It's also the dead end of the north American continental road system.  You'll love it.  The hill out of town is an epic grade.  I got crap gas at the Shell station near the top.  I suspect it was that nobody used premium.  There's a nice view of the spit from the top, too.  If you want to take two days, there are interesting local things to see, like Anchor Point, the westernmost point of the continental road system, a wildlife refuge, little villages, and of course my sister's restaurant in Soldotna, "Katrina's".

This is Alaska's most dangerous m/c highway, on north to Anchorage.  Then it gets worse, and then Denali and FBKS.  Way too many are single-vehicle crashes, which suggest wildlife and road hazards are major contributors.  The "worse" part is that anchorage-corridor drivers are less predictable than regular wildlife and road hazards.  So be careful out there!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2017, 11:31:48 PM »
It's funny that when I bought the bike in Seattle I rode to Oregon to put on miles for the first service and then went directly to Anchorage. So it's first trip was to Alaska. Had fun touring the state and running up and down the Alcan and Cassiar highways a few times. Unfortunately on one of my trips to Dawson over "Top of the world highway" the oil pump came apart right on the border. I managed to limp into Tok junction when a buddy passing in his van stomped on his brakes and gave me an 8 hour lift to Anchorage. While repairing the damage I changed out the front brembo disks, added hand guards. The lower fairing came off in favor of a Breva chin guard. Most of the paint was chipped. I got sick of the dipstick dance so I took a hole saw and made a hole big enough to put my hand through. Installed some Heli bars, led brake lights in my Givi Trunk. Mud flap. Rewired the wind shield  control to one up and down toggle switch, and added a cigarette lighter to the dash.
As you can see I have a few other Guzzi's in the barn so I usually reserve the Norge for crappy weather or dark hours as the light spread was best for spotting those sneaky Moose lurking on the side of the road that i nearly clipped a few times with my SP that didn't light the left lane very well. So the miles on it are under 40K. I used my SP the most until I sold it, then I put knobbies on my Jackal and had a blast with that. If I do make another trip north it will be on the Norge, the power delivery, weather protection,lighting, fuel efficiency and comfort are still my favorite. Even fully loaded it will fly by a train of semi's and RV's up those long mountain passes with ease.
After 30 years my wife wanted warmer weather and better shopping so we moved to the Portland area😎
Yeah I did the windscreen switch and the 12 V re position plus a few other things.

Offline Matteo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2017, 10:02:41 AM »
Yes I noticed, I love the spoked wheels. :thumb:

Offline auzziguzzi

• Gosling
  • This ain't no dress rehersal
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2017, 05:36:01 PM »
Would a Norge rider (in Australia) on a Breva 1100 (almost a Norge, bought in Seattle) qualify for this trip?
Prepared to follow at a respectful distance behind the pack of Norges.

Planning a return trip starting from where my Breva's stored in Tucson, to Alaska, and return during June - July 2017.

John
'96 Sport 1100c (65,000 km)
'83 V50 III (80,000 km)
'06 Norge (162,000 km)
'90 NTX 650 (66,666 km)
'06 Breva 1100 (84,505 miles) SOLD 3/3/2022

Offline solarmoose

• New Egg
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2017, 07:38:54 PM »
Hi David(Solarmoose) this is Matt with the red Norge , formerly of Anchorage. Forgot your wife's name. She gave me a bottle of Blueberry wine after I consulted with her on picking out her Norge.
Hope to run into you guys again sometime. The kids are still in Anchorage so we go up now and then. If you like Hard Cider try Double Shovel our new brew that we make in Anchorage.
Regards
Matt

Hi Matt, Its been a while since I checked in here. Oh yes I remember you! You are the reason I had to buy Cee the Norge in 2011 after your "consulting." She's put 35,000 miles on it, two trips over the alcan and still loves it. We're planning another two month ride in the fall and make our third attendance to Barber Vintage Festival. We'll be at D2D in June. Be nice to see a few more Guzzi there. Cee's Norge is bronze and I'm riding a GS. Our shop is always open to travelers (if we're home.)
david

Offline Matteo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2017, 11:49:07 PM »
Hi Matt, Its been a while since I checked in here. Oh yes I remember you! You are the reason I had to buy Cee the Norge in 2011 after your "consulting." She's put 35,000 miles on it, two trips over the alcan and still loves it. We're planning another two month ride in the fall and make our third attendance to Barber Vintage Festival. We'll be at D2D in June. Be nice to see a few more Guzzi there. Cee's Norge is bronze and I'm riding a GS. Our shop is always open to travelers (if we're home.)
david
Glad to hear it Dave, give my regards to Cee and tell her I enjoyed the wine.
Matt

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2017, 03:33:15 AM »
Unfortunately on one of my trips to Dawson over "Top of the world highway" the oil pump came apart right on the border.
What indication/s did you get before the pump let go, and how did you know when it did, Matt ?

Offline Matteo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2017, 11:54:17 AM »
I checked my oil level when I left home,(Anchorage) middle of the stick. 10 hours later after some spirited riding I got to Dawson Yukon and my oil light started to flicker. Found oil level low. Topped it off, next day headed for home. On  the Top of the World highway just short of Tok AK the light came on steady with the triangle. When I stopped and checked the oil there was no oil on the dip stick. I had oil so I added a quart and it reached the low level on the stick. I had a short distance to reach Tok. So I went there with oil light and triangle on steady. In Tok I shut down and rechecked the oil level which was fine. As I was looking for a uhaul to rent a buddy came by with his van and off we went. When I disassembled the engine( with Rodekyll who happened by) we found all vanes sheared off the oil pump and small rod shells that had been scorched. No other damage was visible. Repairs were made and we lived happily ever after. The bike was 1 year past warranty with 24k miles.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:16:19 PM by Matteo Manfredi »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2017, 02:32:17 AM »
Thank you, mines a red '07 so I'm somewhere near the danger zone but no trouble yet

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2017, 11:57:21 AM »
That oil pump looked like it tried to pass a cold chisel, sideways.  I would have soured on guzzi after that experience.

Offline Matteo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2017, 05:00:33 PM »
Kinda like Alaska, it throws its wrenches at you but we still love it for what it is.

Online ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2017, 11:57:04 PM »
OK, let's get back on topic. Is this ride still happening?  Anyone else going to Alaska this summer?
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

Offline sbaker

• Gaggle Hero
  • Piaggio Stock Holder
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2017, 01:15:12 PM »
Hi Dan.. Answered your PM.. Yes the trip is happening!!!

Is this trip happening??
I'm looking for someone(s) to ride to Alaska with.
I was there in 2009 and there is more that I want to see.
If this plan is still alive I will post more info.
Dan
Sam
Dallas, TX

AGATT

Hey Check out my CD www.cdbaby.com/bakersam

Current
Norge Wing: White Squadron
Ducati 900ss

Previous
Griso Wing: Yellow Squadron (shot down 3/11)
2008 Norge - Red... fastest of the 2V
1975 Convert + Sidecar - Fun
2004 California EV Touring

Offline Matteo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2017, 03:26:06 PM »
For anyone staying in Anchorage keep in mind the Harley Davidson dealer loves travelers and offers free camping in a large grass plot behind the shop, all makes are welcome! When you look back ther Harley's only represent about 10% of the campers.
Check Alaska Leathers website for a travelers help phone list, they also do tire changes and carry decent stock.And sheepskin seat covers for sore butts.
Pizza lovers don't miss Mooses Tooth brew pub and Cider lovers should visit The Double Shovel Cidery :thumb:.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:37:17 PM by Matteo Manfredi »

Online ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2017, 09:37:01 AM »
This forum ROCKS,! So far through this thread:
I have found a place to park my truck and trailer in Idaho
Made a connection and scheduled to meet up in the Yukon
Made a connection and been offered workshop access in Fairbanks
Gotten great advice about things to see and routes to take.
Still doing some of the planning. Seems I'll been a little bit later than you guys getting up there and then traveling only one way, west to east then south. Still maybe we can meet somewhere.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep

Offline Matteo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2017, 04:55:48 PM »
Hi Dan.. Answered your PM.. Yes the trip is happening!!!

So what's happening? I am looking at going up either June or July.
Possibly making Dust to Dawson on Solstice.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:08:03 PM by Matteo Manfredi »

Offline sbaker

• Gaggle Hero
  • Piaggio Stock Holder
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2017, 08:40:55 PM »
Well, the countdown has begin...  I'm scheduled to leave Dallas on july 14th ... Destination: Dead Horse and Back. ~ 8000 miles. Most all prep work has been done. Tomorrow i get new shoes, Pilot Road 4's, Oil and fluid changes.. Have adapted a Stelvio Belly Pan to the Norge, Put a screen over the oil cooler behind the front wheel. Just waiting to pack my stuff and head out. For those wishing to follow along..I will be posting Pix and Progress on my FaceBook page.. www.facebook.com/sdbaker

It's as solo run but I am sure it will be fun anyway...

MUSH you huskies....

Sam
Dallas, TX

AGATT

Current
Ducati 900ss

Previous

Offline Matteo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2017, 09:04:21 PM »

Just got back, I suggest the Cassiar, it's in pretty good shape, lots of gas stations now. Prices and exchange rate are good too. Use a credit card for best rates. Took the van this time. 7 trips on the bike are enough.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 09:07:49 PM by Matteo Manfredi »

elvisboy77

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2017, 09:06:22 PM »
safe travels!

twowings

« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2017, 09:10:52 PM »
Good luck, Sam! Check your tire pressure frequently...

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2017, 09:27:54 PM »
All right Sam!!  What a great adventure awaits!  I hope you find some riders along the way to share the trip and adventure if you so desire!

Got some bear spray at arms length handy just in case??

Post away, can't wait to see the pics...you're going to love the PR4's...hopefully you got the touring rear for extra wear in the center stripe!

Are you going to be using a SPOT tracker just in case of any emergencies and so the rest of us (or just a few of us) can follow along discretely?

Cheers from all of us!
Paul
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2017, 08:46:30 PM »
Well, the countdown has begin...  I'm scheduled to leave Dallas on july 14th ... Destination: Dead Horse and Back. ~ 8000 miles. Most all prep work has been done. Tomorrow i get new shoes, Pilot Road 4's, Oil and fluid changes.. Have adapted a Stelvio Belly Pan to the Norge, Put a screen over the oil cooler behind the front wheel. Just waiting to pack my stuff and head out. For those wishing to follow along..I will be posting Pix and Progress on my FaceBook page.. www.facebook.com/sdbaker

It's as solo run but I am sure it will be fun anyway...

MUSH you huskies....

Are you passing in or around Whitehorse?
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name

Offline sbaker

• Gaggle Hero
  • Piaggio Stock Holder
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2017, 06:45:18 PM »
Yes I will be on the AlCan... Both directions...

Are you passing in or around Whitehorse?

Sam
Dallas, TX

AGATT

Current
Ducati 900ss

Previous

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here