Author Topic: Opinions for a sport tourer pls  (Read 12603 times)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
Opinions for a sport tourer pls
« on: July 11, 2016, 10:30:48 PM »
OK- so I have the itch. I feel like I have too many bikes (I know, silly me). I'm hoping to sell two and replace them with one.  So, I have Gina the V50- may keep just for sentimental reasons- but selling still a possibility. There's the 1200 sport. Great bike, but not much wind protection and no real options to improve that.  Then there's the Shiver-  great bike, but doesn't fill the spot for highway use. 

I'm trying to find a mid sized sport tourer that will be planted on the highway with some windscreen- yet nimble enough around town. It has to be able to mount hard cases. I'm not sold on the gigantic ADV bikes. Seems a bit much to me.   I am OK with working on my own bikes- but I really don't want to go through another Guzzi "re engineer 12 things so the bike works the way it should have originally from the factory" experience.  I would like to have nice suspension over high horsepower (the suspension is what I miss most about the Griso).

Yes- I know about the Norge - and it's not on the list.  I've narrowed things down to the latest version of the Honda VFR 800 and the BMW F800GT.  Seems like the BMW ergos may be easier around town.  The Aprilia 1200 caponord is much larger- but certainly seems capable.

Anyone have experience with the VFR or F800?  Any thoughts on other candidates?

Thanks!

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Opinions for a sport tourer pls
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 10:38:28 PM »
Ducati ST3.

Guzzi V11 LeMans.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 10:39:19 PM »
I faced a similar question and bought a Ducati ST3.

Mike

1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 10:41:59 PM »
 At least take a look at the 800 CC Triumph , yeah , kind of an ADV bike , but the owners seem to be pleased with them .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 10:41:59 PM »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 10:43:30 PM »
Aprilia Futura?
Charlie

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 11:26:14 PM »
Triumph Sprint?

Yamaha FJ-09?
North Carolina

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 04:45:05 AM »
At least take a look at the 800 CC Triumph , yeah , kind of an ADV bike , but the owners seem to be pleased with them .

Dusty

Test rode one a while ago the motor is still obviously based on a 600 super sport motor yes they've lengthen the stroke and done various things to make it make more torque than a 600 super sport which it does. It still only has more torque than a 600 super sport.

KTM super duke GT is high on the list of bikes to test ride soon.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:21:33 AM by Murray »

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 05:19:55 AM »

Dusty

Good call.  Met a guy on the Beartooth on an 800XC. He was leading a pack of riders from Panama to Alaska. Seems like a very capable bike. I have plenty of respect for Triumph. I believe this bike has very nice WP suspenders as well.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 05:34:38 AM »
Charlie mentioned the Futura. There is one for sale in the classifieds as we speak and I know the owner. In fact I have ridden that bike. It probably checks all the boxes you request. John is near Lexington Kentucky. He bought a Stelvio but I was surprised to see this for sale. It is a very nice bike!

John Henry   

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 05:47:41 AM »
The Ducati ST range.  The 4s has more top end, the 3 is supposed to be better at low rpms but my 4s is smooth all the way through.  There's a styling change in '04 for the 4s so take your preference.  An amazing bike if you're willing to learn how to maintain it and don't mind the chain.  Here's a forum: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 05:50:27 AM »
Yes- I know about the Norge - and it's not on the list.  I've narrowed things down to the latest version of the Honda VFR 800 and the BMW F800GT.  Seems like the BMW ergos may be easier around town.  The Aprilia 1200 caponord is much larger- but certainly seems capable.

Anyone have experience with the VFR or F800?  Any thoughts on other candidates?

Thanks!

I haven't ridden the latest VFR800, but, I do have a 2013 F800GT.   I sold my Breva 1100 and 2001 VFR800 to buy it.    The ergos are between the VFR800 and the Breva.    More lean than the Breva, less than the VFR.   I find ergos to be perfect, esp. for my back issues.   The foot pegs directly below my butt -- perfect.

While I love the V4 sound (esp. with aftermarket exhaust), I'm not a fan of chain maintenance.    The F800GT is belt drive, vs. the VFR's chain -- win BMW.

The BMW touring cases are nice.   The mounts pretty much disappear visually when they are not on the bike.    I have a Hepco & Becker top case mount on it, since I already have the H&B top cases.   I used the F800ST mount  (yes it fits).   It looks better than the one that they list for the F800GT.   The case that BMW sells for it is small, only about 30 liters IIRC.    I have not seen the VFR luggage in person, though, I'm sure you can get H&B or Givi mounts for it too.   The only complaint that I had about the H&B side cases on my VFR800 is that they stuck out quite a bit.   I'm sure that Givi are the same.    For that matter, while the BMW cases are form fit to the F800GT, they're wide.   Total width is about 38 inches, vs. 31 or 32 inches for the 30 liter H&B cases on my V7 Special.

Fuel capacity is slightly lacking, only 4 gallons, but, it is efficient.    I almost never get less than 50 MPG, usually 53-55 in the summer, up to 60 w/o any luggage mounted.   In the summer,  the low fuel light comes on at 175 miles.  I usually fill up at around 200 miles.    Winter MPG with the colder temps, and the larger Madstad windshield installed in place of the stock on, drops to 47-48.

I've had zero trouble with the bike, but, I'm only at 11k miles on it.   I bought it used, last August with 5k miles on it.

Handling is very good, as are the brakes.  The ABS works great (yes, I've tried it), but, is not intrusive.     It has plenty of power for me, though, coming off the B11, I downshift twice if I want to pass in a big hurry.   Power delivery is nice and smooth.     The torque is pretty linear form 2k to 8k RPM.    It is as quick, or a little quicker than the B11, though, it is a higher revving engine, though not has high as the VFR.   Torque is comparable to the VFR, though, the VFR has a bit more top end, as that torque carries through to about 10k RPM (redline is 11,500).     I almost never revved the VFR over 9k though, as you need to be doing to pretty ridiculous speeds to use that part of the tach.     Redline in first gear is about 65 MPH IIRC.

I'd definitely recommend test riding both and buy the bike that calls to you.

Regarding the Ducati ST3 and ST4, I'm sure that they're great bikes, but, consider the maintenance.     The F800GT has an 18k mile valve clearance interval.     Modern liquid-cooled Ducatis have a similar interval, but, the ST3 and ST4 need their valves done much more often (6k miles, IIRC), and being Desmo valves, are more labor intensive (two shims per valve, open, and close).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 05:59:25 AM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 06:39:18 AM »
My friend sold his Triumph and replaced it with a '15 Super Tenere.  He seems happy with the switch.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:03:38 AM by Dilliw »
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

redrider

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 06:48:11 AM »
The local Honda dealer has a VFR with more dust on it than the moon. A couple of BMW's come along for the Sunday ride. I think the Aprilia would be the best suited. I have zero complaints with the V11.

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 07:00:39 AM »
Like jas67 I currently own an F800GT and I have owned previous iterations of VFR800's. I agree with most of his assessment. The F-bike, a 2014, was purchased new two years ago, and now has 19K miles on the odo. My VFR's did have significantly more power, but I find the HP of the BMW to be more than adequate. The torque curves of the two bikes seem to be similar; plenty down low. While both bikes have good brakes and handle well in the twisties, I find the BMW to be more nimble; it is also easier to handle at parking-lot speed and while pushing it around the garage.

Gas mileage on the VFR's was in low forty mpg; for the F-bike in the low fifty mpg with a range slightly over 200 miles. I have side-cases and a Givi trunk on the F-bike; use it for short rides, day-long rides and cross-country trips. In fact, I recently returned from a 5,500 mile tour of the southern-central Rocky Mt. states on the BMW; the bike performed very well.  I sold the VFR's and bought the F800 because my aging body (I'm 67) could no longer tolerate the riding position of the VFR's. I did not want a big, heavy sport-tourer like an FJR.

The F800GT has been problem-free. However, it took some mods to get the wind protection suitable for touring; I have a Givi touring windscreen plus an X-screen on top. The bike does throw off some heat to the thighs; bothers some riders, but not a big deal for me. The only negative that remains about the bike for me is that the motor feels a bit buzzy over 75 mph; the VFR's were smoother at high speed.

Get a long test ride on both.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 07:35:43 AM »
I just took the plunge on a MV Agusta Turismo Veloce Lusso.  Can't say enough good things about it.  It meets your criteria in spades.  It's quick and agile, yet stable at high speeds.  Just as good in the city as on the open road.  Extremely comfortable.  Maybe not the greatest mile muncher, but for my west coast twisty road adventures, I don't know if there's anything better.

About 5 years ago I owned an F800ST.  I liked it.  Overall great bike, but really devoid of character, suspension too soft to be really sporty, and very cramped leg room.  The F800GT seems to be much improved over the ST, but I suspect it would still be rather lacking in character.  Then again, character isn't necessarily what one wants/needs in a touring bike.

Negatives of the MVTV:

-- Expensive?  Maybe.  But by the time you add hard cases to other bikes, the price differential is less.  And the MV luggage system is really a thing of beauty, with the cases less wide than the handlebars.  I got an extremely good deal on mine, which is probably in part due to the bankruptcy and the need to move inventory. 

-- Bankruptcy?  You'll have to reach peace of mind about this.  My feeling is that with its brand recognition and MV making great bikes like the TV and the new Brutale, someone will pick up the pieces even if it doesn't stay in the familia.

-- Reliablity?  I haven't heard of any major reliability issues, though with all those electronics, I do worry about getting caught out on the road without an MV expert nearby.

In sum, though it's expensive, I think it's actually a great value for one of the best bikes on the road today.

I still need a Guzzi however.
V9 Bobber
Zero S

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 07:50:52 AM »
VFR1200X- a VFR with range and a sweet engine. New to the US this year. A tad porky
Ducati Multistrada- wow, they nailed it with this one. 160+HP, 15k mile Desmo service, amazing engine, comfortable.
FJR, Connie, etc- standard Japan engineering, will run forever, not exactly awe inspiring
KTM super duke GT or super adventure- when too much isn't enough

I'm sold on the adv style for long range touring. I've done it on a KTM 990 ADV and now a Stelvio. I like the upright seating for long stints.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 08:31:44 AM »

Regarding the Ducati ST3 and ST4, I'm sure that they're great bikes, but, consider the maintenance.     The F800GT has an 18k mile valve clearance interval.     Modern liquid-cooled Ducatis have a similar interval, but, the ST3 and ST4 need their valves done much more often (6k miles, IIRC), and being Desmo valves, are more labor intensive (two shims per valve, open, and close).

Ducati's STs are the benchmark SPORT-touring bikes.  Yes, maintenance is a little more involved, but the rewards are many.  If you're into what they provide, that is.  A BMW F800 pales in every comparison of handling, performance, and feel. 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 08:51:47 AM »
BMW R1200RT an option?  Very nice bike...not sure if it's too big for what you're looking for, but silky smooth, all day riding, nimble enough to throw around the twisties and very easy around town.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 09:03:51 AM »

Dusty
:1: If you don't test ride one of these you'll be sorry. IMHO the Triumph triples going back to at least '03 are some of the best and most versatile engines built. The 800's are available in many forms, including factory lowered, and a lot of available extras. Probably my next and last bike, when I decide to let my Sprint ST go.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:05:18 AM by clubman »
BMW R1250RS, Ducati 821 Monster, KTM 890 Duke, Indian R1200R Carbon

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 09:10:08 AM »
You mentioned the Norge is not on your list.  Seems like it might meet your needs and the new ones are pretty well sorted.  Just curious what gets it crossed off your list ?

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 09:19:02 AM »
:1: If you don't test ride one of these you'll be sorry. IMHO the Triumph triples going back to at least '03 are some of the best and most versatile engines built. The 800's are available in many forms, including factory lowered, and a lot of available extras. Probably my next and last bike, when I decide to let my Sprint ST go.

What he said. Triumph has it all together now. Mine's been great.   Js
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 10:00:45 AM »
One of the coffee klutch guys as a VFR1200 and rides the snot out of it but recently picked up an older (2004?) SV650 and that is pretty much all we see him on now.

I'd have you take a look see at the CB1100. She is a sleeper, very low key when out and about and super easy to ride in town. Get the rpms up and the frisky red head comes out. Being a true standard, she does a lot of different things.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 10:41:19 AM »
I put >80,000 miles on Honda ST1100 and ST1300. Loved them both.

Both bikes were fast, comfortable, and bulletproof.

Of the two, I preferred the ST1100.
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 10:47:13 AM »
BMW R1200RT an option?  Very nice bike...not sure if it's too big for what you're looking for, but silky smooth, all day riding, nimble enough to throw around the twisties and very easy around town.

Don't forget about the R1200RT's lighter weight sister, the R1200RS.     These water cooled boxers make some serious torque.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 11:45:05 AM »
Well, this all depends.  What do you mean by wind/weather protection?  When I say it I mean that I can create a bubble of air around me and the helmet with maybe only the shoulders getting some air.  I also want the air diverted around my legs, or at least my knees.  There are very few lighter bikes that will do that.  F800GT comes close.  The boring Honda NT700V (Deauville) works with an aftermarket screen (the Honda Accord of motorcycles).

Once you get past those two you end up dealing with the 600lb bikes.  ST's, RT's, Triumph Trophy, FJR, Connie, etc.

But, if by wind pretection you mean just getting the pressure off your chest, then the whole world opens up to you, including the whole range of ADV bikes.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2016, 04:56:23 PM »
I am very impressed with my R1200RS.  Serious motor, great handling, comfortable.  One of the few sport touring bikes with an emphasis on sport.  A few too many electronic doo dads for my taste, but they don't detract from the ride.  Their integrated GPS is very well done if you are in to them.  I've got about 8000 miles and not a glitch.  The new water head engine is nothing like any of the past boxers.  Smooth throughout the rev range and a ton of torque.

Some may find the ergonomics a bit too sporty, but I think they are about perfect for the bike.  It is made for 300 - 400 mile days through the twisties.  I'll be on my way to Eastern Oregon this weekend to do just that.

Biggest problem?  High speeds are effortless, and tickets too easy to get.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2016, 05:21:41 PM »
I've done 11k miles on my F800GT that I bought new. The other 2 responders are spot on in there comments. I'm 5'9" with 31 inch inseam and i could use a little more legroom at my age. Younger person would probably have no problem. Does have a "lean forward" riding position. Bike is a lot more "sport" than "touring".  If you plan on a lot of touring expect to upgrade the seat and windsheild. Has great power from 5500 rpm up but not much low end. Or it's geared a little high. Easy to stall.
I do like it but not sure I'd reccomendation it for touring.

I'm taking a hard look at a versys 1000 since local dealer doesn't want to sell his Norge's. 1.5 inch taller than the Beemer, more leg room and more upright riding position.
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2016, 06:53:47 PM »
An SP1000 NT.  Easy around town.  Does highway mileage with no problems.  Has a full fairing for the inclement weather.  Parts readily available.  Easy to work on.  Great forum to help new owners.  :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2016, 07:09:11 PM »
An SP1000 NT.  Easy around town.  Does highway mileage with no problems.  Has a full fairing for the inclement weather.  Parts readily available.  Easy to work on.  Great forum to help new owners.  :grin:

:1: this or

Post 80's BMW R100RS

I like simple machines.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2016, 07:19:56 PM »
I think the friend in Sandpoint might sell his.  He's having a hard time getting behind the windscreen.  Arthritis plus he's too tall for it.  One of the few Beemers, I'd consider buying.  The R90S being the other one.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here