Author Topic: 'Twer The Sparkplugs!  (Read 1469 times)

Offline 1Sourdough

• Gaggle Mentor
'Twer The Sparkplugs!
« on: July 18, 2016, 11:18:14 PM »
Some of you may remember several months ago I posted a question about my Strada 1000 cutting out at about 3,000 RPM under acceleration when cold.  Sometimes it would just stumble, other times I had to actually pull off the road because it would not pull.  It would barely idle for several seconds, then would suddenly perk up as though nothing had happened.  As fast as the symptom would come on I was sure it was ignition based, not a fuel obstruction.  Recently it began being hard to start when warm.  It would often flood.  Because the other condition didn't show itself when the engine was at running temp, I thought there were two different causes.

You folks on the Forum provided some good ideas, and I followed several up as I had time.  Having stuff going on at home I have hardly gotten out of town this year but some time back replaced the NGK spark plugs with new ones.  I have hesitated to mention the results because it seems too simple but the silly thing has not shown either condition at all since the new plugs were installed.

1993 Strada 1000, 1996 R1100RT, 1999 V11 EV
                            -30-

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
Re: 'Twer The Sparkplugs!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 02:40:40 AM »
Good news.
Any more trouble shooting goes with a greater level of knowledge, complexity and cost.
Cheers
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 'Twer The Sparkplugs!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 06:02:22 AM »
I can't tell you how many times I've seen fuel and ignition problems cured by installing new plugs. I've seen bad plugs exactly mimic a coil going out. I've seen bad plugs mimic a lean carb condition. It's the first thing I look at when troubleshooting.
Glad to see you got er going..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here